Forums/Armchair-GM

Marleau and Nylander need to go

Created by: palhal
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 11, 2019
Published: Feb. 11, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs seem to want to pay overpay their RFAs, so Nylander has to go. This post is based upon the assumption that Marleau retires, due to his declining play. Leaf have to trade Nylander with no money coming back for cap reasons. (regardless of return) With some extra cap space, Leafs can extend Johnsson to better contract and sign Jensen.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
4$4,000,000
8$11,160,000
2$800,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
2$1,200,000
3$3,000,000
Trades
TOR
    2nd pick 2020, 2021
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,000,000$82,074,833$0$132,500$925,167
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $11,160,000$11,160,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $800,000$800,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
    Watches no games
    Quoting: palhal
    Actually I'm not as down on Zaitsev as many people. Babcock trusts him to play big on the PK. For some reason his puck handling this season has a been awful, until the last few games. If he regains his confidence and skill with the puck, he'll be a big asset. During the summer he goes to Russian and spends a lot of energy on his fitness. Wish he stayed in Toronto and under Leaf coaching work on his hockey skills more. Same with Nylander, don't have him go to Sweden all summer. Have him back in Toronto working on hockey .

Well in all fairness Nylander pretty much turned from a boy into a man over summer, his delayed production is due to other factors as you know and also just poor shooting luck - he's been phenomenal so far, it's just him being on the wrong end of random goaltender spread.

Zaitsev is 303/323 out of eligible defensemen in WAR this season, playing big minutes and doing okay is an asset, playing big minutes and getting caved in is still bad
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
    Quoting: blowing_the_zone
    That's true *2. But he might hang them up to take a job within the leafs org and succession his career and keep himself involved... and paid. either way, Marleau holds all the cards here, and like Pal points out the Muzzin add combined with this magic 6M fix of next years cap crunch seems like fair speculation

When Marleau finally does retire, my guess is that he takes a job in the Sharks' organization, not the Leafs.

He's still playing well and is building on his ironman streak. If he plays through next season, it puts him at 870 games, which would currently be 4th on the all-time list. I'm not sure if he cares about such things, but Cogliano was pretty upset when his streak ended after getting suspended last season.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: MelonVK
    Well in all fairness Nylander pretty much turned from a boy into a man over summer, his delayed production is due to other factors as you know and also just poor shooting luck - he's been phenomenal so far, it's just him being on the wrong end of random goaltender spread.

Zaitsev is 303/323 out of eligible defensemen in WAR this season, playing big minutes and doing okay is an asset, playing big minutes and getting caved in is still bad

Of course playing big minutes is largely Babcock's doing. Zaitsev and Hainsey were "forced" to play big PK minutes until Muzzin arrived. Gardiner plays very little PK. So until the Leaf can find a competent Dman to takes Zaitsev place, and next year Gardiner and Hainsey spots, Zaitsev just might be the only option.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    When Marleau finally does retire, my guess is that he takes a job in the Sharks' organization, not the Leafs.

He's still playing well and is building on his ironman streak. If he plays through next season, it puts him at 870 games, which would currently be 4th on the all-time list. I'm not sure if he cares about such things, but Cogliano was pretty upset when his streak ended after getting suspended last season.

Could be true * 3. Hard to say where he would retire. he has a house in SJ and one in Toronto, and after moving his family here he might stay. Plus, have you seen the back yard rink he built for his kids in TO? Can't grow those in SJ.. Also. I'm pretty sure he's adopted Mitch and Matthews, so he has those kids to think about too.. family gets complicated the older you get..

I hear ya on Cogliano, and that did suck! But Marleau has more than the ironman streak to hang his hat on. Whenever he retires he'll probably walk himself right into the hall of fame.. and if he's still living in Toronto, it's a shorter walk wink
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: tkecanuck341

It's subjective but he NOT playing well. His decline from last year is very noticeable. Any more decline and he certainly won't be seeing much ice time if any at all next season if he plays at all. Which is the very reason, that he might retire.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Could be true * 3. Hard to say where he would retire. he has a house in SJ and one in Toronto, and after moving his family here he might stay. Plus, have you seen the back yard rink he built for his kids in TO? Can't grow those in SJ.. Also. I'm pretty sure he's adopted Mitch and Matthews, so he has those kids to think about too.. family gets complicated the older you get..

I hear ya on Cogliano, and that did suck! But Marleau has more than the ironman streak to hang his hat on. Whenever he retires he'll probably walk himself right into the hall of fame.. and if he's still living in Toronto, it's a shorter walk wink

I'm sure Marleau will head back to San Jose when he retires....it's really his kids home. But yea, he's really got a nice place in Toronto. I think folks make too much or players "home". Most of them have been living away from home since they were fifteen years of age. They are quite adaptable.
    And houses when you're wealthy can be bought and sold quite easily. Gee, even people of "modest" means often home more than one home/house. A place in Toronto, Muskoka and Florida is not uncommon, for many folks.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
    I believe my way of " Marleau Retirement" would be far easier to accomplish....https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1021426
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
    I'm sure Marleau will head back to San Jose when he retires....it's really his kids home. But yea, he's really got a nice place in Toronto. I think folks make too much or players "home". Most of them have been living away from home since they were fifteen years of age. They are quite adaptable.
    And houses when you're wealthy can be bought and sold quite easily. Gee, even people of "modest" means often home more than one home/house. A place in Toronto, Muskoka and Florida is not uncommon, for many folks.

Yeah, I hear ya. And with all the lovely techno we have now once can make it work with a few flights thrown in per year... I'm a far cry from a house, cottage and summer house in florida, but so far I have a house, a tiny cabin in the woods, and I aspire to have a ice fishing shack someday like you and Bassman speak of.. aim low and overachieve is my motto smile saves on the disspointment
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Yeah, I hear ya. And with all the lovely techno we have now once can make it work with a few flights thrown in per year... I'm a far cry from a house, cottage and summer house in florida, but so far I have a house, a tiny cabin in the woods, and I aspire to have a ice fishing shack someday like you and Bassman speak of.. aim low and overachieve is my motto smile saves on the disspointment

Actually I've have downsized. Sold my place in Florida a few years. Last summer sold the Muskoka cottage. Was getting a much to effort maintain everything. My new philosophy is "The best cottage is someone elses". I keep my boat at a friend, so I can still go fishing/boating quite easily. And now I drive 2 km...or I can walk the beach if I feel energetic.
    My wife had the same philosophy as you when she picked me as a husband. "aim low and (if he ) overachieves is my motto, saves on the disappointment.
    Juice liked this.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
    Actually I've have downsized. Sold my place in Florida a few years. Last summer sold the Muskoka cottage. Was getting a much to effort maintain everything. My new philosophy is "The best cottage is someone elses". I keep my boat at a friend, so I can still go fishing/boating quite easily. And now I drive 2 km...or I can walk the beach if I feel energetic.
    My wife had the same philosophy as you when she picked me as a husband. "aim low and (if he ) overachieves is my motto, saves on the disappointment.

Both you and your wife seem wise with your stated philosophies smile
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
    So....what was all of this past summer leading up to Dec. 1st? A science experiment?

You don't think Dubas had already had conversations with Mitch and Auston's agents to get a sense for where negotiations were headed? He just figured...what the hell...I'll turn down all these trade offers I'm getting now for Nylander so I can overpay him and then trade him in the offseason for nothing?

If we ignore term and look at AAV's here...what were we all predicting for Nylander and Matthews? Most regulars on here were $6.5-$7m on Nylander and $11-12.5m for Matthews. Leafs got them both inked within that range....the term sucks and it definitely comes off as paying top-end of the market for these guys...but from a budgeting point of view...what's changed?

I'll give that Muzzin's $4m and Marner at maybe another $1 - 1.5m might not have been in the orginal budget...but those are good problems to have. And Muzzin was one they willingly took

I can't say for sure what their offseason plan is....if Marleau has already told them he's done after July 1st....if the league has hinted to GM's that the cap might be a few mil higher...or if they feel they have other assets they can move to make it work.

But trading Nylander for nothing can not have possibly been plan A on December 1st...nor today
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: Juice
    So....what was all of this past summer leading up to Dec. 1st? A science experiment?

But trading Nylander for nothing can not have possibly been plan A on December 1st...nor today

Again I was trying to show the cap for next year...and getting a non cap return for Nylander. And it wouldn't be for nothing. Getting rid of Marleau's contract might cost a first, and in the trade the Leafs got 2 second rounders

So the Nylander value in effect is Leafs 2020 26th overall, and two 55th picks for Nylander. Sure the Leafs might get more, but the cap coming back can't be more than 4m....hey that's Pesce and Leafs don't sign Jensen.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 6:07 p.m.
    Nylander isn't getting moved for just a second and Marleau won't retire. Babcock trusts him and he uses him to play with top players. He aint' retiring unless he gets injured and we all know that Marleau's impossible to injure.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 6:44 p.m.
    Again I was trying to show the cap for next year...and getting a non cap return for Nylander. And it wouldn't be for nothing. Getting rid of Marleau's contract might cost a first, and in the trade the Leafs got 2 second rounders

So the Nylander value in effect is Leafs 2020 26th overall, and two 55th picks for Nylander. Sure the Leafs might get more, but the cap coming back can't be more than 4m....hey that's Pesce and Leafs don't sign Jensen.

Well...for someone who doesn’t hide the fact that you think the leafs are paying more for their RFAs than any other team....you certainly didn’t have a problem here paying way more to Arizona than the wings had to 2 years ago to move a retired contract.

They only had to move back 4 spots in the first round and got an additonal two 2nd rounders back in the process. And based on your trade, I guess you think nylanders value is 4 draft spots.

Just doesn’t make any sense to me on any front

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll