Forums/Armchair-GM

If Marners camp wont play ball

Created by: Boomer125
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2019
Published: May 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Marner and his camp keep yipping about Matthews money.

I pull this move June 29, I inform Marner and his camp in the morning give them till 7pm to sign our offer of 5 years at 8.25 or 8 years at 9.95, I don't allow him or his camp to talk to Colorado which I have the ability to do. If he don't sign I pull the trigger on the trade.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,125,000
3$3,250,000
3$3,250,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander [RFA Rights]
  3. Zadorov, Nikita [RFA Rights]
  4. 2020 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Marner, Mitchell [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
So Mitch is apparently worth Matthews money therefore is easily worth this package and every GM would jump at the opportunity to get MM right.
TOR
  1. 2019 4th round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (NJD)
NJD
    Sending Zadorov RFA rights
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,000,000$74,227,199$0$82,500$8,772,801
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 4
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 25, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    Like the last time a team had a winger and a center that were both top five picks and viewed as franchise players, both of whose contracts came up in the same year? Oh wait, they signed identical deals...twice.

That’s one team and one GM. How he handled the situation shouldn’t dictate how others sign their players. The market for a winger has been set around 9.5m this year. Why should the Leafs deviate from that?
    May 25, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
    No. This is naive justification

Sad to hear that you find reality to be naive!
    May 25, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
    Like the last time a team had a winger and a center that were both top five picks and viewed as franchise players, both of whose contracts came up in the same year? Oh wait, they signed identical deals...twice.

You are correct that did happen in Chicago, except they both signed at 9.42 percent of the cap the first time, second time they had 2 cups and the winger had 2 scoring titles under his belt so though your point makes sense it also argues that Marner is worth 7.8/8.2 AAV not 11, and Matthews is a much better player offensively than Toews ever was or ever will be.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Quoting: Weezley
    That’s one team and one GM. How he handled the situation shouldn’t dictate how others sign their players. The market for a winger has been set around 9.5m this year. Why should the Leafs deviate from that?

You just said the franchise center always gets more than the franchise winger. Except, you know, the last time this situation happened, when they didn’t.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Quoting: leaflet
    Sad to hear that you find reality to be naive!

Weird that leaf players aren’t constantly taking pay cuts then, like they do in tax friendly markets. Or maybe, you just don’t quite get how it works.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
    You just said the franchise center always gets more than the franchise winger. Except, you know, the last time this situation happened, when they didn’t.

Okay, other than that one time. Way to cherry pick. Point is that centres get paid more than wingers.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
    Quoting: leaflet
    I get the argument of trading Marner if the contract demands are not reasonable, especially given the advantages of playing in Canada in terms of salary (endorsements, favorable exchange rate, and so on).

But that trade. That trade. Barrie is a rental. Kerfoot a decent but bottom-line centre. The Leafs could get much more. Think at least a star player coming back the other way.

Point of the trade is to prove a point MM is not worth 11 anywhere, you do a similar trade with better assets with the other 30 teams, Aves was just an example
    May 25, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Okay, other than that one time. Way to cherry pick. Point is that centres get paid more than wingers.

You’re the one that used the term always, not me. Given how it’s the most similar situation to the one the leafs are in, I don’t think it’s cherry picking
    May 25, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Brutally bad trade for the Leafs. I can't believe folks are this site are such bad negotiators. (like Dubas). So what, if Marner wants Matthews money? Leafs don't have to pay it, and unless some team in the KHL. SHL or any other NHL offers 11.7...Marners isn't getting 11.7m, unless the Leafs offer it.
    Not many teams have cap space for 11.7m Marner. Even fewer teams want to upset their salary structure by overpaying an incoming RFA. Some teams don't have four draft choices. Some teams that might even offer Marner more than Leafs, Marner might want remain a Leaf for less money. So really Marner...top end salary ambitions isn't with 31 teams, might only be five teams that fits Marner desires.
    blowing_the_zone liked this.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
    Weird that leaf players aren’t constantly taking pay cuts then, like they do in tax friendly markets. Or maybe, you just don’t quite get how it works.

When you start paying taxes, you'll get the point. wink
    May 25, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    I’m just going off the cap friendly calculator. The taxes make a huge difference

Player salaries are much lower than just taxes deducted. Certainly makes a difference, maybe just not to the extent that most people think.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
    You’re the one that used the term always, not me. Given how it’s the most similar situation to the one the leafs are in, I don’t think it’s cherry picking

Fine, poor choice of words on the always bit. Yes, they are on the same team and they are RFAs the same year and Chicago chose to give their guys matching contracts in This situation. They should still be evaluated as individuals and paid according to the market.
    May 25, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Fine, poor choice of words on the always bit. Yes, they are on the same team and they are RFAs the same year and Chicago chose to give their guys matching contracts in This situation. They should still be evaluated as individuals and paid according to the market.

Toews didn't get his big 10.5, till he had completed his ELC and his five year 6.5m RFA contract. Same with Kane. Didn't 't get 10.5m till year nine. Now admitting Matthew got his overpaid contract starting in year four, but the Leafs don't have to continue their overpay their RFAs. They just have to pay what an offer sheet will pay if they chose, certainly not "what Marner wants" which seemed to be theme of the original post..
    May 25, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    Toews didn't get his big 10.5, till he had completed his ELC and his five year 6.5m RFA contract. Same with Kane. Didn't 't get 10.5m till year nine. Now admitting Matthew got his overpaid contract starting in year four, but the Leafs don't have to continue their overpay their RFAs. They just have to pay what an offer sheet will pay if they chose, certainly not "what Marner wants" which seemed to be theme of the original post..

But you can understand Marner's argument for why he should get paid like Matthews. In his eyes and many others, the leafs already dicked him around when they sent him to London when he wasn't AHL eligible, but clearly ready for the jump
    May 25, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: Rusty_Shackelford
    But you can understand Marner's argument for why he should get paid like Matthews. In his eyes and many others, the leafs already dicked him around when they sent him to London when he wasn't AHL eligible, but clearly ready for the jump

I understand Marner might pout about Matthews contract but so what? It's like comparables that are used in arbitration or even offer sheets. Aho, Point and Rantanan have similar production to Marner which is true comparable. Can't believe we have some many bad negotiators as ACGMs....it really doesn't matter "what a player wants", it should be about talent, and leverage to a deal.
    What is Marner to do....wait for an overpaid offer sheet? Play in Europe? Not sign and play ball hockey on his parents driveway? Marner isn't going to have 31 teams willing to overpay him. Other teams have their own cap problems, or not the draft picks for compensation, or don't want set their own teams precedent by overpaying an incoming RFA. Plus Marner may not want to play for some teams that might offer him a little more than the Leafs. See Marner's "offer sheet"scenario is limited.
    Oh yes, I do understand Marner's argument and he will use it. Just that the Leafs don't have buy into it if they don't want to.
    May 25, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
    Bcarlo25

So, honest question. What do you think the market would yield for Marner. If I was a gm with cap space, draft picks to spend, and a desire for Marner, I would be offering him 1 year at 1 dollar less than the 4 first pick compensation. So 10.5ish.
    May 25, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    I understand Marner might pout about Matthews contract but so what? It's like comparables that are used in arbitration or even offer sheets. Aho, Point and Rantanan have similar production to Marner which is true comparable. Can't believe we have some many bad negotiators as ACGMs....it really doesn't matter "what a player wants", it should be about talent, and leverage to a deal.
    What is Marner to do....wait for an overpaid offer sheet? Play in Europe? Not sign and play ball hockey on his parents driveway? Marner isn't going to have 31 teams willing to overpay him. Other teams have their own cap problems, or not the draft picks for compensation, or don't want set their own teams precedent by overpaying an incoming RFA. Plus Marner may not want to play for some teams that might offer him a little more than the Leafs. See Marner's "offer sheet"scenario is limited.
    Oh yes, I do understand Marner's argument and he will use it. Just that the Leafs don't have buy into it if they don't want to.

I agree with you. With rfa negotiations it shouldn’t really be about what the player wants. The problem is, with few exceptions, the players always seem to get what they want. A lot of the highest paid players in the league signed their deals out of rfa. I’m with you that it shouldn’t be that way, but it is
    May 25, 2019 at 11:04 p.m.
    So, honest question. What do you think the market would yield for Marner. If I was a gm with cap space, draft picks to spend, and a desire for Marner, I would be offering him 1 year at 1 dollar less than the 4 first pick compensation. So 10.5ish.

I’m not even sure. It’s hard to say. I’d imagine an offer sheet would look exactly like that. Perhaps longer term but the amount fits. If a team were to do that then I’d match. It definitely throws a monkey wrench in negotiations. If someone offered him a cap hit that’d give up four firsts then I’d let him walk.
    May 26, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.

Thank you. A voice of clarity on all this Marner =12M nonsense

And yes, I agree, it is coming off as pouting.

And I'll take it a step further and say if it all plays out with Marner's camp refusing to move off AM money then most fans will see this for what it is... despite how Dreger and the rest of the media knuckleheads try to spin it..

That said, Marner's camp has every right to peddle their Marner =12M narrative, that's the game that they're playing. But it just might mean he's selling that story in Arizona, or Ottawa, or the KHL, or any place other than Toronto if that's what the leafs determine to be in their best interest..
    palhal liked this.
    May 26, 2019 at 11:36 a.m.
    Quoting: Boomer125
    You are correct that did happen in Chicago, except they both signed at 9.42 percent of the cap the first time, second time they had 2 cups and the winger had 2 scoring titles under his belt so though your point makes sense it also argues that Marner is worth 7.8/8.2 AAV not 11, and Matthews is a much better player offensively than Toews ever was or ever will be.

Kane only has 1 scoring title... And he didn't get that until the 1st season of the 10.5 deal. Your argument lacks fact.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll