Forums/Armchair-GM

Reading between the lines

Created by: GenXHockey
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2019
Published: Jun. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is what I understand from listening to dubas.

- Kadri was not listed in the core players of Matthews nylander marner and Rielly. I suspect he will be dealt this year or next.

Marleau is on the move, I don’t see the kings deal being a fit so I’m moving to the next likely target. Is this enough retained to make his value neutral for 1 season to try and do for him what they did for Bourque?

-Moving on from zaitsev, this one kind of sucks as I was hoping to see him back next year and as you can see the leafs could afford him and are in need of solid RHD. Dubas said he will work to get him a fresh start but you could tell he was not happy to have to move him.

-Johnsson, Dubas flat out said if there are any issues in negotiations they will use arbitration.

-Dubas isn’t done there.... I still get the feeling he is big game hunting for an RHD... we will have to wait and see...

These are the ideas I’ve gathered of Dubas’ intentions for the off season, maybe some or all or none come to fruition. Not meant to be the team we ice for next season just a collection of moves I think are being worked on. Obviously I don’t know the targets but I think they would be looking for similar returns.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
8$10,000,000
2$2,750,000
1$2,850,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Honka, Julius [RFA Rights]
TOR
  1. Jankowski, Mark
  2. 2020 1st round pick (CGY)
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
2020 pick conditional on Colorado winning the cup.
COL
  1. Marleau, Patrick ($2,250,000 retained)
TOR
  1. Pesce, Brett
Additional Details:
Could be any big rhd. I picked pesce to get the the canes fans going lol.
CAR
  1. Hollowell, Mac
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi
  3. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2020 1st round pick (CGY)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$77,139,143$0$285,000$5,860,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2019 at 10:25 p.m.
Need to retain some of Zaitsev's salary to move him too (don't have your 1st so not going to give up your 2nd rounder to move him). He hasn't scored above 15 points the past two years. That's 3rd pairing scoring and he's a 3rd pairing d-man being paid like a #2-3 d-man.

Leafs are in trouble with the cap and not going to trade their way out without giving up young assets/picks.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 10:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: dca919
Need to retain some of Zaitsev's salary to move him too (don't have your 1st so not going to give up your 2nd rounder to move him). He hasn't scored above 15 points the past two years. That's 3rd pairing scoring and he's a 3rd pairing d-man being paid like a #2-3 d-man.

Not retaining on zaitsev. Hence the return. Besides dubas has already taken calls on zaitsev and believes he is signed to a reasonable long term contract. This agm is about Dubas’ plans. Not yours.

Also, leafs have plenty of contracts that can easily be moved.
Jtcurls, oneX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Not retaining on zaitsev. Hence the return. Besides dubas has already taken calls on zaitsev and believes he is signed to a reasonable long term contract. This agm is about Dubas’ plans. Not yours.

Also, leafs have plenty of contracts that can easily be moved.
Dubas can't even get his coach to play Matthews in the 3rd period of an elimination game. I wouldn't count on his plans vs what is realistic. Count on other GM's offer sheeting some Leafs players during his GM-ship.

Going to have to retain salary to move him especially since it is known he wants out.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:44 p.m.
Dubas can't even get his coach to play Matthews in the 3rd period of an elimination game. I wouldn't count on his plans vs what is realistic. Count on other GM's offer sheeting some Leafs players during his GM-ship.

Going to have to retain salary to move him especially since it is known he wants out.

1. Gm’s have nothing to do with how coaches roll lines... ever.... on any team.

2. Zaitsev on the move isn’t confirmed even dubas says he may be back next season. How that relates to retention I have no idea.

3. Offersheets again... really?

4. Welcome to hockey, seems like you’re new to this.
oneX, Jtcurls and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:05 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I like the Zaitsev trade for Stars and Leafs but sign Honka to stay imo.

Would prefer moving Kadri for Jost and a pick or Wallmark and a pick

Pesce , make it only 1st rounder
GenXHockey, oneX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:07 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Trickster
I like the Zaitsev trade for Stars and Leafs but sign Honka to stay imo.

Would prefer moving Kadri for Jost and a pick or Wallmark and a pick

Pesce , make it only 1st rounder

That wasn’t a pesce Trade... he’s just filling in to show what assets we could move.

In my description I did say that these may not be the players but similar returns. Your two 3c ideas are fine by me.
Jtcurls and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:17 p.m.
2 x 1st round picks + kapanen + a prospect is too much for Pesce.

IMO.

Kapanen + 1st round pick pls a B prospect like Lindgren would get it done.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:21 p.m.
1. Gm’s have nothing to do with how coaches roll lines... ever.... on any team.
2. Zaitsev on the move isn’t confirmed even dubas says he may be back next season. How that relates to retention I have no idea.
3. Offersheets again... really?
4. Welcome to hockey, seems like your new to this.

I'll take this really slow since you probably haven't seen championship hockey since the late 60's in Toronto and pace of the game has changed since then.

1) The crack at the lineup was making further mockery of the joke of a team that's been rebuilding since 1967 not a statement of what a GM has powers over. The fact you couldn't pick that up says wonders about cheering for a team in futility.
2) Zaitsev has publicly requested a trade. Bringing him back is just about as bad of a decision as sitting Matthews during elimination time and still retaining the coach. But in order to move him you are going to have to retain salary in the trade. Why? It's a concept as simple as throwing your jersey on the ice or having ugly yellow guardrails behind your bench (a reference to Maple Leaf Gardens in case you're too new to hockey to get it): he's a 3rd pairing guy that generates no offense and is paid like he's a #2 or #3 d-man with multiple years left. No one will take that as they aren't as dumb as the Leaf's GM.
3)Yeah, offer sheets are coming as the analytic departments get more say in player personnel. Why? because younger players are making and thriving in the NHL and the pressure to win (outside of the St. Pat's Losers since 1967) has grown.
4) Welcome to watching how NHL championship hockey is run--I know you have no experience with that.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:21 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Jtcurls
2 x 1st round picks + kapanen + a prospect is too much for Pesce.

IMO.

Kapanen + 1st round pick pls a B prospect like Lindgren would get it done.

Please read the description and the notes in the trade.
Jtcurls, Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I'll take this really slow since you probably haven't seen championship hockey since the late 60's in Toronto and pace of the game has changed since then.

1) The crack at the lineup was making further mockery of the joke of a team that's been rebuilding since 1967 not a statement of what a GM has powers over. The fact you couldn't pick that up says wonders about cheering for a team in futility.
2) Zaitsev has publicly requested a trade. Bringing him back is just about as bad of a decision as sitting Matthews during elimination time and still retaining the coach. But in order to move him you are going to have to retain salary in the trade. Why? It's a concept as simple as throwing your jersey on the ice or having ugly yellow guardrails behind your bench (a reference to Maple Leaf Gardens in case you're too new to hockey to get it): he's a 3rd pairing guy that generates no offense and is paid like he's a #2 or #3 d-man with multiple years left. No one will take that as they aren't as dumb as the Leaf's GM.
3)Yeah, offer sheets are coming as the analytic departments get more say in player personnel. Why? because younger players are making and thriving in the NHL and the pressure to win (outside of the St. Pat's Losers since 1967) has grown.
4) Welcome to watching how NHL championship hockey is run--I know you have no experience with that.

2) Zaitsev has publicly requested a trade. Bringing him back is just about as bad of a decision as sitting Matthews during elimination time and still retaining the coach. But in order to move him you are going to have to retain salary in the trade. Why? It's a concept as simple as throwing your jersey on the ice or having ugly yellow guardrails behind your bench (a reference to Maple Leaf Gardens in case your too new to hockey to get it): he's a 3rd pairing guy that generates no offense and is paid like he's a #2 or #3 d-man with multiple years left. No one will take that as they aren't as dumb as the Leaf's GM.

Lol, go troll somewhere else kid.
Jtcurls and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:29 p.m.
Please read the description and the notes in the trade.

I was typing when you added the explanation that it was just a list of what was available to trade.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:32 p.m.
And yet the point of having to retain salary on a trade of Zaitsev remains. He's a 3rd pairing guy that generates no offense and is paid like he's a #2 or #3 d-man with multiple years left. No one will take that as they aren't as dumb as the Leaf's GM.

That's not trolling kid. It's a valid point you just don't want to hear so you resort to name calling.

and just a hint when someone can visually tell you what Maple Leaf Gardens looked like--probably not a kid.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:36 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Jtcurls
I was typing when you added the explanation that it was just a list of what was available to trade.

Yup it’s all good, most people don’t read descriptions like this dca919. This is what I think dubas is trying to accomplish.

Whether or not he is able to I’m not sure. He’s a smart GM despite what some people may think of him and he has a great staff surrounding him.

The more I read over his comments about zaitsev the more I think that he may be returning or even terminating his contract. “Fresh start” and him hinting that he may be back next season may mean that maybe he wants a different role. It could mean that dubas will ship him around and if he can’t get a fair return then he’s back next season. From his comments I don’t see him doing any sort of major retained salary.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:42 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
And yet the point of having to retain salary on a trade of Zaitsev remains. He's a 3rd pairing guy that generates no offense and is paid like he's a #2 or #3 d-man with multiple years left. No one will take that as they aren't as dumb as the Leaf's GM.

That's not trolling kid. It's a valid point you just don't want to hear so you resort to name calling.

and just a hint when someone can visually tell you what Maple Leaf Gardens looked like--probably not a kid.

2nd pair Dman. Anybody who watches hockey can tell you what position he plays. If you took the time to read my description and the comments that dubas made that led me to make this agm you might not be on here ranting and shouting into the wind.

Opinions are fine but I do take exception to people who assume their opinions are fact and they are right because “reasons” and everyone else is a dummy.

If you wouldn’t like to be treated like a child don’t act like one.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 11:45 p.m.
2nd pair Dman. Anybody who watches hockey can tell you what position he plays. If you took the time to read my description and the comments that dubas made that led me to make this agm you might not be on here ranting and shouting into the wind.

Opinions are fine but I do take exception to people who assume their opinions are fact and they are right because “reasons” and everyone else is a dummy.

If you wouldn’t like to be treated like a child don’t act like one.

On Toronto he might be a 2nd pair d-man. But he belongs on the 3rd pairing. He didn't register 15 points the last 2 years. That's 3rd pairing on any championship team. Face it Toronto's weakness was defense and he being on the 2nd pairing was a large reason for it.

Fact enough for you.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:04 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
On Toronto he might be a 2nd pair d-man. But he belongs on the 3rd pairing. He didn't register 15 points the last 2 years. That's 3rd pairing on any championship team. Face it Toronto's weakness was defense and he being on the 2nd pairing was a large reason for it.

Fact enough for you.

So by your logic zadarov, De Haan, Chara and Manson are all not top 4 guys?

Judging Dmen by points can be misleading. Zaitsev was deployed nearly identically to Manson and what do you know... nearly identical points. He also has the same crappy advanced stats as Lindell... who now makes more money than him.

I think one of two things will happen. Leafs will move him for a negligible return or they will keep him. I can’t see them retaining anything more than 500k even then I suspect they won’t.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.

Judging Dmen by points can be misleading. Zaitsev was deployed nearly identically to Manson and what do you know... nearly identical points. He also has the same crappy advanced stats as Lindell... who now makes more money than him.

I think one of two things will happen. Leafs will move him for a negligible return or they will keep him. I can’t see them retaining anything more than 500k even then I suspect they won’t.
Anyone can get moved if you salary dump them and attach a pick. But team's expect the Leafs to retain salary if they want to move him for anything less than another team's cap dump.

If you don't believe that then: go argue with Bob McKenzie as you clearly know more about hockey than him too.
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Since the league was made aware this morning of Zaitsev’s availability, there have been multiple inquiries but it remains to be seen how many teams expect TOR to retain salary or make a soft/limited return deal because of the term/$ owed him.
210 5:05 PM - May 30, 2019

So why would other GM's "expect TOR to retain salary or make a soft/limited return because of the term/$ owed him" if he was a 2nd pairing d-man 4.5M is not unreasonable. Maybe because they view him the same way I do. Pray for that bidding war as the best result you can hope for is 0 retained salary.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

Zaitsev is gonna be a steal after July 1st, second pairing Esa Lindell making almost $6M AAV is crazy.
Seriously they should keep Zaitsev and send a couple 2nds or something like that to Vegas for Miller then the top 4 D would be making what like $17M combined? Not gonna get a much cheaper top 4 D then that in 2020.
GenXHockey, Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:21 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:27 a.m.
Anyone can get moved if you salary dump them and attach a pick. But team's expect the Leafs to retain salary if they want to move him for anything less than another team's cap dump.

If you don't believe that then: go argue with Bob McKenzie as you clearly know more about hockey than him too.
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Since the league was made aware this morning of Zaitsev’s availability, there have been multiple inquiries but it remains to be seen how many teams expect TOR to retain salary or make a soft/limited return deal because of the term/$ owed him.
210 5:05 PM - May 30, 2019

So why would other GM's "expect TOR to retain salary or make a soft/limited return because of the term/$ owed him" if he was a 2nd pairing d-man 4.5M is not unreasonable. Maybe because they view him the same way I do.

You put it in bold and did not even read it!!! lol

“Soft/limited return”

That is exactly what I said and exactly what I traded for here. Also this trade, like many I post, are from fans of other teams agm’s .... like the zaitsev Trade that I took directly from a Dallas agm.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:25 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Zaitsev is gonna be a steal after July 1st, second pairing Esa Lindell making almost $6M AAV is crazy.
Seriously they should keep Zaitsev and send a couple 2nds or something like that to Vegas for Miller then the top 4 D would be making what like $17M combined? Not gonna get a much cheaper top 4 D then that in 2020.

I still don’t think zaitsev is out the door. Let me find the quote.

I have been meeting with Dan. I met with Dan here. I don’t want to get too much into the details — that is up to Dan and Nikita on their end — but that will be our goal: To try to find a fresh start for him for his own personal and private reasons. I’ll leave that to Dan and Nikita to talk about.

In the case of what it means for our team, it is not any definitive thing where he is not going to be back. Especially as the year went on, and especially as he was paired with Muzzin, I think his value began to shine through a little bit more. His penalty killing, he’s a right shot, he plays in our top four, and he is signed reasonably for a long time. That is where that is at.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:35 a.m.
Edited Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:42 a.m.
You put it in bold and did not even read it!!! lol

“Soft/limited return”

That is exactly what I said and exactly what I traded for here. Also this trade, like many I post, are from fans of other teams agm’s .... like the zaitsev Trade that I took directly from a Dallas agm.

And smart GM's (ie those in playoff contention like Nill's Stars) aren't going to take him on for the "soft/limited return" they are going to want retained salary that's my whole point that you are ignoring. Try trading him to Ottawa or some other bottom 6 salary cap franchise.

It's just like the Kings trying to get rid of Dion Phaneuf and saying well we're trading him for essentially nothing....okay but that isn't the issue. It's his salary cap hit and fact he should play on the 3rd pairing that is the issue.

Dallas has to have enough cap to bring back Zuccarello and go after another UFA (think Tyler Myers to balance their size on defense). Their GM's not dumb.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:40 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
And smart GM's (ie those in playoff contention like Nill's Stars) aren't going to take him on for the "soft/limited return" they are going to want retained salary that's my whole point that you are ignoring. Try trading him to Ottawa or some other bottom 6 salary cap franchise.

Dallas has to have enough cap to bring back Zuccarello and go after another UFA.

Again, you are very good at asserting your opinion as fact.

But if you would just take the 10 seconds to read the description you would understand how foolish it is to make that argument.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:42 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Where do they get these people?
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:48 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Where do they get these people?

I have no clue lol. Like I try to be pretty transparent with my intentions on agm’s. I wrote right in the description that these may not be the targets but demonstrate the returns that dubas will be looking for... and I get blasted lol.

How’s my favourite troll doing tonight? Lol.
OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 12:49 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Nice call on Dallas; I hadn't thought about them. But Lovejoy is 35, Polak is a hard 33 and Fedun is 30; they're all UFA's and Fedun in particular might find someone to give him Greg Pateryn money. that leaves Klingberg and Stephen Johns, who (God forbid) might never play again. So Zaitsev is a reasonable possibility for them.
GenXHockey and Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll