Forums/Armchair-GM

if he asks for too much

Created by: PrimeDatsyuk
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2019
Published: Jul. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Would be a dream trade, i'm not sure whether or not the blues would do it but who knows. As much as I love Mitch and want him to stay, he has to demand less or else the leafs should look into trading him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
Trades
STL
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. Marner, Mitchell [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Gusev, Nikita [RFA Rights]
VGK
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 5th round pick (TOR)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (FLA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,573,032$0$0$5,926,968
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$863,333$863,333
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
Also, don’t get cocky that the Blues won the cup. At least the Leafs outplayed the Bruins at 5v5, the Blues got outplayed and outchanced by the Bruins. This year’s Blues team is extremely overrated compared to previous cup winning teams. They won because they got into their opponents’ faces with their intimidation, aggravation, heaviness, grit and physicality. The 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins were far better than this team, you cannot deny it.

Uhh, no. Bruins won 5-on-5? Blues only won through brute physicality? Get that tired crap out of here.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
I will say this. This St Louis Blues cup winning team is no where near as impressive as the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins. How can we compare a team that relies on heaviness, grit and intimidation to a team that dominated using speed, skill and creativity? The Penguins played much more beautiful hockey during their run. Plus they won much more convincingly as they outplayed every team in possession, offensive zone time, shots and chances created. The Blues were no where near as capable in carrying the play compared to the Penguins. There shouldn’t be any debate over this, anyone with hockey knowledge will admit that the Penguins’ 2016 cup was the true definition of how hockey should be played. They were clean, disciplined, fast, skillful and creative with their play style. Totally on a different level.

Why does this matter? I also don't think the 2016 Penguins team is nowhere near as impressive as the 1980's Edmonton cup winning teams either (I can also say the same about the early 80s New York Islanders teams too).

To answer your question, you cannot compare a heavy team's play versus a skilled team's play. They are simply different styles. The Blues used one style to win this year; other winners have used various styles to win as well. It just shows that teams can be built to win playing different styles. Aesthetically, you prefer a high-speed, skilled team. That's great, especially since you are a Toronto fan. They play a very exciting type of game, and it is one that you respect. The Blues don't play that type of style, which does not aesthetically appeal to you. That's great too. This St. Louis fan didn't quite care what style we played. I was just happy that after watching them disappoint me since 1973, we finally won a cup!
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:34 p.m.
No one is saying pay Marner the same amount as Matthews or Tavares. But surely he is an elite right winger who deserves to make more money than Nylander.

Sure more money than marner. Why I said 7.5M/8M, but not much more because he is overrated while he might be a Great Player I would put him as Elite, but not "All-Star" talent. That's what a Top 5 Winger is. He isn't exactly your normal Vlad Tarasenko, or Patrick Kane, or Gabriel Landeskog. Because I just pulled up Tarasenko advanced stats, and most of the meaningful advanced stats were in Tarasenko's favor, and that's without a All-Star Top 5, Top 10 Center in the National Hockey League right now, and when you look at what Marner did without John Tavares uhhhhhhhhh he was struggling man, he was definitely struggling on the ice, and on Defense he sucks, completely just sucks. Defensive Liability, but he sort of makes up for it when he plays on Offense with Tavares, doesn't make up for it when he is without Tavares on offense.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:36 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: rja40
Why does this matter? I also don't think the 2016 Penguins team is nowhere near as impressive as the 1980's Edmonton cup winning teams either (I can also say the same about the early 80s New York Islanders teams too).

To answer your question, you cannot compare a heavy team's play versus a skilled team's play. They are simply different styles. The Blues used one style to win this year; other winners have used various styles to win as well. It just shows that teams can be built to win playing different styles. Aesthetically, you prefer a high-speed, skilled team. That's great, especially since you are a Toronto fan. They play a very exciting type of game, and it is one that you respect. The Blues don't play that type of style, which does not aesthetically appeal to you. That's great too. This St. Louis fan didn't quite care what style we played. I was just happy that after watching them disappoint me since 1973, we finally won a cup!

The truth is, a skill based team is simply better than a team that relies on intimidation. It is much more difficult to win with skill than intimidation.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
"if he asks for too much". Then I suppose no other team is going to sign him either.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Sure more money than marner. Why I said 7.5M/8M, but not much more because he is overrated while he might be a Great Player I would put him as Elite, but not "All-Star" talent. That's what a Top 5 Winger is. He isn't exactly your normal Vlad Tarasenko, or Patrick Kane, or Gabriel Landeskog. Because I just pulled up Tarasenko advanced stats, and most of the meaningful advanced stats were in Tarasenko's favor, and that's without a All-Star Top 5, Top 10 Center in the National Hockey League right now, and when you look at what Marner did without John Tavares uhhhhhhhhh he was struggling man, he was definitely struggling on the ice, and on Defense he sucks, completely just sucks. Defensive Liability, but he sort of makes up for it when he plays on Offense with Tavares, doesn't make up for it when he is without Tavares on offense.

The fact you don’t think Marner is an all star talent is laughable. It is clear to me that you haven’t watched him play and have analyzed him entirely based off advanced stats.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.
The truth is, a skill based team is simply better than a team that relies on intimidation. It is much more difficult to win with skill than intimidation.

it doesn't matter if it is skilled or not, My team lacks talent wise they aren't very skilled with the puck, I do dump and chase, but you know what I tell them play a simple game. If they play a simple game we have won the game more times than not.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.
No one is saying pay Marner the same amount as Matthews or Tavares. But surely he is an elite right winger who deserves to make more money than Nylander.

I think this hits on the crux of Toronto's dilemma: Dubas was dumb for signing Nylander to his contract. He was even dumber to tell Nylander that he wouldn't be traded. The dollars he spent on Nylander, who certainly has demonstrated potential, should have been saved for someone who is more proven than Nylander was and currently is. I would agree that Marner should get paid more than Nylander, but I would also argue that many, many players in the NHL right now should get paid more than Nylander. He hasn't shown me anything yet other than he has potential and can be a cry-baby hold-out.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:42 p.m.
I'll be the first to tell ya Marner is on another level than Perron...

I agree with you. I'd just like to see the comparison. I certainly was not asserting Perron was on=par with or better than Marner.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:43 p.m.
The fact you don’t think Marner is an all star talent is laughable. It is clear to me that you haven’t watched him play.

No, I have I'm just apart of the Marner Boy Scout Fan Club. He isn't an all-star talent because he hasn't shown he is an all-star talent. Go back to the back half of the series against Boston. I know it's very hard for you as a Toronto fan, but what did Marner do in the back half of the Series. Literally nothing, you could barely tell he was on the ice. That's why I am saying he isn't an All-Star talent. All-Star Talents are always making some sort of threat even if it is a bad game, they do get good quality chances. Marner is very spotty when it comes to that sort of thing.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:45 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
it doesn't matter if it is skilled or not, My team lacks talent wise they aren't very skilled with the puck, I do dump and chase, but you know what I tell them play a simple game. If they play a simple game we have won the game more times than not.

Playing skill based hockey with creative puck movement and possession is far more impressive than playing dump and chase, or intimidation. Therefore the team that wins with skill is always better than the team that wins with grit.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.
The fact you don’t think Marner is an all star talent is laughable. It is clear to me that you haven’t watched him play and have analyzed him entirely based off advanced stats.

I base him of Analytics, because that's apart of my Daily job is to base players in my area off of Advanced Stats as well, Sorry for making you feel uncomfortable that I use Advanced Stats to support my Thesis, but that's just how the world works. You have no physical proof to show me otherwise.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
No, I have I'm just apart of the Marner Boy Scout Fan Club. He isn't an all-star talent because he hasn't shown he is an all-star talent. Go back to the back half of the series against Boston. I know it's very hard for you as a Toronto fan, but what did Marner do in the back half of the Series. Literally nothing, you could barely tell he was on the ice. That's why I am saying he isn't an All-Star talent. All-Star Talents are always making some sort of threat even if it is a bad game, they do get good quality chances. Marner is very spotty when it comes to that sort of thing.

Every player goes through bad stretches where he can’t do anything effective. Look at Evgeni Malkin in that 2012 series against the Flyers, he was absolutely invisible and generated no chances. So for you, he is not an all star talent or hall of Famer?
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.

And one thing I would also add is Tarasenko has worked himself into being a decent defensive player. He did not arrive as well-rounded as he has become. Marner also could improve his defensive play with work. Tarasenko had a lot of work to do on defense, and to both his and his coaches' credit, he did put in the work and has made himself a more complete player. Marner could too, but at this point it remains to be seen. Far too many people think of Tarasenko as "just" a sniper. He was once that, but he has really improved his game, and I think NHL execs would agree.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I base him of Analytics, because that's apart of my Daily job is to base players in my area off of Advanced Stats as well, Sorry for making you feel uncomfortable that I use Advanced Stats to support my Thesis, but that's just how the world works. You have no physical proof to show me otherwise.

The only reason why you use analytics is because you are American, as we all know, Americans aren’t very good at ice hockey. Canadians are much better.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Playing skill based hockey with creative puck movement and possession is far more impressive than playing dump and chase, or intimidation. Therefore the team that wins with skill is always better than the team that wins with grit.

Hockey isn't a game that is always impressive kid. That's something you need to understand. Hockey isn't always Skill moves, and dekes and driving to the net he shoots a Top Shelf Shot and Scores. You have to get to the Basic, and the Fundamentals of Hockey. Blues won a cup playing a simple game, simple is simply just better hockey. Playing simpler is better hockey because less risks, and you don't lose the puck carelessly. Which is why Pittsburgh got swept, why Tampa got Swept, why Calgary got beat 4-1, why Carolina came back and won game 7 in OT. It was all simple play, and simple play lead to big goals, playing simple lead to simple defense, keeping pucks to the boards not letting anything in the middle, not giving up bad pucks, no bad turnovers for odd man rushes.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
And one thing I would also add is Tarasenko has worked himself into being a decent defensive player. He did not arrive as well-rounded as he has become. Marner also could improve his defensive play with work. Tarasenko had a lot of work to do on defense, and to both his and his coaches' credit, he did put in the work and has made himself a more complete player. Marner could too, but at this point it remains to be seen. Far too many people think of Tarasenko as "just" a sniper. He was once that, but he has really improved his game, and I think NHL execs would agree.

But looking at Marner he doesn't have defensive minded or even Defensive type coaches it's just an offensive game, which lead to their downfall against Boston.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Marner has already started to improve his all round game. It was very evident this season, but according to this Beast guy, he is trash because his Corsi stats from 2016-17 and the first half of 2017-18 were terrible.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
But looking at Marner he doesn't have defensive minded or even Defensive type coaches it's just an offensive game, which lead to their downfall against Boston.

You are just blind and delusional. Next you’re probably going to tell me that Marner is lazy and has a terrible work rate. He may not be a defensive minded player, but at least he shows willingness to learn. The intensity he plays with every shift is evident and that’s how he will improve. You are simply hating.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
The only reason why you use analytics is because you are American, as we all know, Americans aren’t very good at ice hockey. Canadians are much better.

Hate to break it to ya, but I am part Canadian...so much so that My Granddad is actually from the Toronto area in a place called Pickering. So excuses excuses, insult after insult. Why all the sudden you are getting defensive?
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:53 p.m.
Marner has already started to improve his all round game. It was very evident this season, but according to this Beast guy, he is trash because his Corsi stats from 2016-17 and the first half of 2017-18 were terrible.

I never said he was trash, I said he was overrated he might be a Top 50-25 Winger, but Top 5 is Overrated. I never said he was terrible you are trying to twist words that you don't see, and 2 I said 2018-19 because that's when he was with John tavares.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:54 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Hate to break it to ya, but I am part Canadian...so much so that My Granddad is actually from the Toronto area in a place called Pickering. So excuses excuses, insult after insult. Why all the sudden you are getting defensive?

Part Canadian? Well you were born and trained in the United States. It’s very different than growing up in Canada as a hockey player.
You are just blind and delusional. Next you’re probably going to tell me that Marner is lazy and has a terrible work rate. He may not be a defensive minded player, but at least he shows willingness to learn. The intensity he plays with every shift is evident and that’s how he will improve. You are simply hating.

I never said that either. Marner is a hard worker, and he isn't defensive minded. He is learning, but he got a little better on defense but nonetheless still pretty bad on defense.
Part Canadian? Well you were born and trained in the United States. It’s very different than growing up in Canada as a hockey player.

No I was born in Edmonton area, so mostly Canadian, but moved to US when I was about a couple months old...
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:55 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I never said he was trash, I said he was overrated he might be a Top 50-25 Winger, but Top 5 is Overrated. I never said he was terrible you are trying to twist words that you don't see, and 2 I said 2018-19 because that's when he was with John tavares.

http://www.footballuser.com/1761618/Dream_Team Here is my all time soccer XI. What do you have to critique about?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll