Forums/Armchair-GM

Last fans would you rather Andersen or Rielly

Created by: Sign_em_up000000
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 31, 2019
Published: Dec. 31, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just wondering who leaf fans would rather have because we can't afford to keep both.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$81,500,000$95,023,810$0$335,000-$13,523,810
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:19 p.m.
Shibbal18
I would assume Rielly by a mile
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
I would assume Rielly by a mile

That other has been way more valuable by a mile and a half.

This is a no win question.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Andersen, look at the way he is playing.
Then again, its probably not sustainable.

I'm constantly magnifying Rielly's mistakes now.
Anyone else doing the same?
oneX, palhal and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Sorry more nonsense about the Leafs (or any team) that can't afford certain players. You might have to trade some players and create space and replace with other players..
Leafs really couldn't afford Tavares as UFA in the summer of 2018. What the Leafs did was not resign UFA JVR and Bozak for 11m. Are you suggesting that Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares?

Now if you're suggesting that Leaf if they want to keep all their current roster players, plus the expected pay increases to those players, you're right Reilly and Andersson are probably not affordable. But what team won't be making changes in the next 18 and 30 months when Reilly and Andersson become UFAs?
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:41 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
That other has been way more valuable by a mile and a half.

This is a no win question.

Quoting: Trickster
Andersen, look at the way he is playing.
Then again, its probably not sustainable.

I'm constantly magnifying Rielly's mistakes now.
Anyone else doing the same?

I agree it's a no win situation but it's coming and we're going to have to make a decision. I think Andersens play is sustainable unless you're talking about over the duration of his next contract. I don't magnify Roelly's mistakes because he's always made them, they where just covered up better before. Personally, I thought the answer to this question was MO but recently I've been thinking it's easier to replace Rielly than Andersen but I worry about what his next contract will look like. Anyways, thanks for the feedback because I'm scratching my head over this one.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Sorry more nonsense about the Leafs (or any team) that can't afford certain players. You might have to trade some players and create space and replace with other players..
Leafs really couldn't afford Tavares as UFA in the summer of 2018. What the Leafs did was not resign UFA JVR and Bozak for 11m. Are you suggesting that Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares?

Now if you're suggesting that Leaf if they want to keep all their current roster players, plus the expected pay increases to those players, you're right Reilly and Andersson are probably not affordable. But what team won't be making changes in the next 18 and 30 months when Reilly and Andersson become UFAs?

Whoa, I don't think this is nonsense and when or where did I bring up Tavares? But to answer that question we were in a different spot as a team and absolutely had the money for Johnny and yes, I would still sign him if given the chance at a redo. How do you figure we can keep both without decimating our team?... This I'm dying to hear.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:47 p.m.
GM - Canucks
I would rather have Morgan Rielly as he is a No. 1 pairing defenceman in the NHL which there is not alot in the league. The only real way to get one is to draft and develope and the Sandman is years away from developing into a No. 1 pairing defenceman on the Leafs. Morgan Rielly appears to be playing through some type of injury this year so I do not think you should be too hard on him as the guy was on fire last year.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:55 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Whoa, I don't think this is nonsense and when or where did I bring up Tavares? But to answer that question we were in a different spot as a team and absolutely had the money for Johnny and yes, I would still sign him if given the chance at a redo. How do you figure we can keep both without decimating our team?... This I'm dying to hear.

No you didn't mention Tavares, but no team should expect they can sign all the UFAs, others teams and their own with adjusting the personnel on their squad. Want to sign two UFA who might make big money, no reason to think the Leafs have the cap without trading a Nylander or something like that.
Andersson is going to 32 when he starts play in his first UFA contract. We'll see how Price and Bobvorsky ages, maybe Andersson next cap hit won't be as much as expected.
Carlsson of Washington signed for 8m. Jose 9m. What's Reilly contract going to be? Maybe it won't be as scary as some think.
But maybe Liljegren and Sandin are going to "star" in the next two years. Maybe the Leafs will be giving those players big raises when they sign their first contract out of the ELCs...so Reilly might not be needed...at a UFA price.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
No you didn't mention Tavares, but no team should expect they can sign all the UFAs, others teams and their own with adjusting the personnel on their squad. Want to sign two UFA who might make big money, no reason to think the Leafs have the cap without trading a Nylander or something like that.
Andersson is going to 32 when he starts play in his first UFA contract. We'll see how Price and Bobvorsky ages, maybe Andersson next cap hit won't be as much as expected.
Carlsson of Washington signed for 8m. Jose 9m. What's Reilly contract going to be? Maybe it won't be as scary as some think.
But maybe Liljegren and Sandin are going to "star" in the next two years. Maybe the Leafs will be giving those players big raises when they sign their first contract out of the ELCs...so Reilly might not be needed...at a UFA price.

But that's sorta the point and why I think this question has merit, we can't afford both right now (hopefully they sign for less than we all think and this is a moot point) but assuming they don't we either have to trade a Nylandrr or Marner or Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot/Mikeyev which would decimate our lineup. Which is why I was wondering if it would be worth it to keep both if it's even possible. I am worried about Andersen's next contract but I wonder if he would age gracefully. Either way it's looking like a lose-lose situation but I think it would be a bigger drip off in terms of talent and team importance to lose Freddy over Rielly. Anyways, this was just a question I've been struggling with and wanted to get some feedback so I appreciate your response.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:09 p.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
I would rather have Morgan Rielly as he is a No. 1 pairing defenceman in the NHL which there is not alot in the league. The only real way to get one is to draft and develope and the Sandman is years away from developing into a No. 1 pairing defenceman on the Leafs. Morgan Rielly appears to be playing through some type of injury this year so I do not think you should be too hard on him as the guy was on fire last year.

Appreciate your response and that was my one of thinking as well but I'm starting to think it would be easier to replace Rielly than Andersen
TMLSage and Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
But that's sorta the point and why I think this question has merit, we can't afford both right now (hopefully they sign for less than we all think and this is a moot point) but assuming they don't we either have to trade a Nylandrr or Marner or Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot/Mikeyev which would decimate our lineup. Which is why I was wondering if it would be worth it to keep both if it's even possible. I am worried about Andersen's next contract but I wonder if he would age gracefully. Either way it's looking like a lose-lose situation but I think it would be a bigger drip off in terms of talent and team importance to lose Freddy over Rielly. Anyways, this was just a question I've been struggling with and wanted to get some feedback so I appreciate your response.

It's always a dilemma in a cap league. All teams in order to maintain success need to jettison expensive contracts such as UFA and replace with cheaper players who although might not be as good initially but have better long term value.
Let's say the Leafs have 9m to spend for two Dmen. Are they better off having an 8m X 7 year Reilly and a six man making 1m. OR signing Sandin and Liljegren to to both to 4.5m X 3 and still have a year of control after those contracts? Cause if Reilly is signed and need to sign Sandin and Liljegren you need to trade (without money coming back) a high priced forward or two.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:23 p.m.
GM - Canucks
There is a rumour that the Leafs are very interested in signing a record-breaking KHL goalie named Timur Bilyalov who is 24 years old who has a .957 save percentage and 1.10 goals against average this year to add some goalie depth to the team and protect the team if they can not sign Anderson.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
There is a rumour that the Leafs are very interested in signing a record-breaking KHL goalie named Timur Bilyalov who is 24 years old who has a .957 save percentage and 1.10 goals against average this year to add some goalie depth to the team and protect the team if they can not sign Anderson.

Yea, you can't have too many "prospects", but even from the KHL how good are they really?. Who was the 2nd leading scorer in the KHL two years ago?...Kovalchuk...how did that work out for the Kings. Leading scorer two years ago.....Trevor Dawes.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:30 p.m.
It's always a dilemma in a cap league. All teams in order to maintain success need to jettison expensive contracts such as UFA and replace with cheaper players who although might not be as good initially but have better long term value.
Let's say the Leafs have 9m to spend for two Dmen. Are they better off having an 8m X 7 year Reilly and a six man making 1m. OR signing Sandin and Liljegren to to both to 4.5m X 3 and still have a year of control after those contracts? Cause if Reilly is signed and need to sign Sandin and Liljegren you need to trade (without money coming back) a high priced forward or two.

Agreed. I guess I'm just worried about the drop off from Andersen to whoever replaces him knowing that we're trying to contend. Letting Fred walk is probably in the best interest of the team long term it's just going to suck after watching him dominate over the last few years. Who would you like to see replace him? And if you had to pick one to keep long-term who would you keep?
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:32 p.m.

I've heard about that too, but who knows how he'll translate to the NHL. Hopefully for our sake he becomes great (assuming we get himwink). Lol
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Agreed. I guess I'm just worried about the drop off from Andersen to whoever replaces him knowing that we're trying to contend. Letting Fred walk is probably in the best interest of the team long term it's just going to suck after watching him dominate over the last few years. Who would you like to see replace him? And if you had to pick one to keep long-term who would you keep?

I think the Leaf need Andersson more than Reilly. But will there be a good goalie available when Andersson is a UFA. Andersson becomes a UFA in June just before the Seattle expansion draft. Teams can only protect one goalie. Are there teams who might have NHL goalie available good enough to be starter that they would trade to the Leafs instead of losing that goalie to Seattle?
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:38 p.m.
Banned

This is the usual rhetoric from non fans. No team will ever pay as much for a player as the Leafs have to. The Leafs can't sign Tavares, they couldn't sign Nylander, they couldn't keep both Marner and Matthews and still keep Kapanen and Johnsson. They couldn't recover from the early season slide....etc. it doesn't matter what happens, even if they win the cup these same dudes are going to be saying it was the refs fault or something. It's just dumb.b
Dec. 31, 2019 at 10:39 p.m.
Banned

I think Dubas will work on getting a shorter term deal and getting Rielly done long term. Who knows maybe they make a trade next year and move Anderson and replace him with someone else like Murray? There are many options.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:36 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I think Dubas will work on getting a shorter term deal and getting Rielly done long term. Who knows maybe they make a trade next year and move Anderson and replace him with someone else like Murray? There are many options.

Ew Murray.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 2:23 a.m.
Ofc TML can keep both.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll