Forums/Armchair-GM

Would You Do That Trade

Created by: leaflet
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2020
Published: Jan. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Sandin just had a terrific performance at the juniors, once again. 4 points in the semi-final game. His value is huge.

Assuming Rielly and Dermott stay on the left side of our blue line, would you consider trading Sandin at the draft for Jamie Drysdale, the top prospect RHD? Or else a top RHD who's already in the NHL?

Long term, the top 4 could become

Rielly - Drysdale
Dermott - Liljegren
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Drysdale, Jamie
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
    Jamie Drysdale, whichever team picks him. At the cost of immediate gains, Toronto gets a younger, but right-handed top prospect.
    BUF
    1. Sandin, Rasmus
    Additional Details:
    That team gets a top defensive prospect who is NHL ready, and help turn the team into a contender immediately in 2020.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    12$84,500,000$66,830,616$0$0$17,669,384
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 4
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:06 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: HabsForEver
    54 points in the NCAA? Yeah, he was definitely an offensive player in College, his role has changed, but it doesn't take that away.

Yes, my point exactly. Offence is the best indicator of a players talent in juniors, regardless of what they turn into in the NHL.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
    Subbanator
    Quoting: mondo
    bronze medal and 4 playoff games don't mean you're he's better. i'm sorry you have to hear this.

Forgot 2019 WJ Defensive player in there. What has Sandin has ever won in his illustrious career?

romanov wouldn't be able to either, which makes this criticism null.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Zaitsev cracked CSKA at 22, but better luck next time.

And I'd like to point out, Sandin played top pair in the AHL at 18 on a deep playoff run team.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
    Quoting: Random2152
    Oh yes, It is all most as if I was careful with how I worded it. He played for Sibir at 19

Yes, at 19 he cracked a rather unknown team, there's nothing special to that.

Some other defenders to crack CSKA full time before being 20
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Yes, at 19 he cracked a rather unknown team, there's nothing special to that.

Some other defenders to crack CSKA full time before being 20

And Sandin cracked one of the best teams in the AHL as a top pair Dman used in all situations at 18. That is superior to a 3rd pair 19 y/o in russia.

Also, Sibir was a playoff team those years. That 'unknown team' was actually decent
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC_Sibir_Novosibirsk
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:10 p.m.
    bronze medal and 4 playoff games don't mean you're he's better. i'm sorry you have to hear this.

romanov wouldn't be able to either, which makes this criticism null.

No, if it were a 1 on 1, the offensive player would turn away as they aren't willing to challenge Romanov. It happened in pretty much every sequence in the tournament. Simply watch a game that involved Romanov. I don't think he was challenged once.
    Yes, my point exactly. Offence is the best indicator of a players talent in juniors, regardless of what they turn into in the NHL.

Offense is the best indicator for an offensive player. This doesn't work when we are looking at defensive players.
    torontos finest
    Quoting: Subbanator7667
    I would say that's true except for the fact that I live just north of Toronto and am a huge Raptors and Jay's fan and spend summers going to Jay's games (yes this year was tough), I will admit that I got priced out of going to Raptors games when Kawhi came but still able to get to 1 or 2 a year. So no, my time is fairly split, but living here I also experience that media in the area touts its self as a national sports news network but also owns teams in the respective sports. It creates a bias, that bias then gets spread as far and wide as possible from the media machine. I'm not saying every fan follows it but there is a reason a lot of Canada sports fans complain about TSN and Sportsnet.

ahahahaha my god dude

You've whined constantly about how biased TSN and Sportsnet are because they cover the Leafs extensively. Has it occurred to you that they cover the Leafs so much because you live in Toronto?
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
    torontos finest

Did you mean to post something?
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Offense is the best indicator for an offensive player. This doesn't work when we are looking at defensive players.

Hyman is not an offensive player
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:12 p.m.
    And Sandin cracked one of the best teams in the AHL as a top pair Dman used in all situations at 18. That is superior to a 3rd pair 19 y/o in russia.

Also, Sibir was a playoff team those years. That 'unknown team' was actually decent
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC_Sibir_Novosibirsk

Would explain why Sandin was a (-) player. Also worth noting, Toronto was awarded with the best goalie in the league that season.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
    Hyman is not an offensive player

He was an offensive player... what do you mean
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Would explain why Sandin was a (-) player. Also worth noting, Toronto was awarded with the best goalie in the league that season.

Are you actually trying to use +/- as a means to evaluate a player in 2020?
    You cannot be serious.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    He was an offensive player... what do you mean

Hyman
    Is
    Not
    An
    Offensive
    Player

Offence in junior is the best way to predict if they will be a player at all. A player who cannot put up points in junior is unlikely to make it at all.
    See: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/victor-mete
    or https://www.capfriendly.com/players/shea-weber
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
    Are you actually trying to use +/- as a means to evaluate a player in 2020?
    You cannot be serious.

When you have the worst +/- on your team, it's notable.

Like I said, Toronto had the best goalie in the league, it's always great when a goalie can hide your teams defensive abilities.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
    Hyman
    Is
    Not
    An
    Offensive
    Player

Offence in junior is the best way to predict if they will be a player at all. A player who cannot put up points in junior is unlikely to make it at all.
    See: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/victor-mete
    or https://www.capfriendly.com/players/shea-weber

Alright? What does offense in Junior have anything to do with Romanov?
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    When you have the worst +/- on your team, it's notable.

Like I said, Toronto had the best goalie in the league, it's always great when a goalie can hide your teams defensive abilities.

Yup we are done here.
    +/- is a stat that is more based on TOI than it is anything skill related. Having the highest + or - mostly just means that a player was played alot.

+/- is all but useless in player evaluation, the fact that you use it at all invalidates anything you've said.

Also Kaskisuo is far from the best goalie in the league lol. Sparks and Picks was the year before bud.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:18 p.m.
    Yup we are done here.
    +/- is a stat that is more based on TOI than it is anything skill related. Having the highest + or - mostly just means that a player was played alot.

+/- is all but useless in player evaluation, the fact that you use it at all invalidates anything you've said.

Alright. Great way to end the conversation. Keep your bias mindset, when reality hits, you can talk to me about it.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
    Yup we are done here.

Also Kaskisuo is far from the best goalie in the league lol. Sparks and Picks was the year before bud.

https://twitter.com/grantmccagg/status/1213531284351393793
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Alright. Great way to end the conversation. Keep your bias mindset, when reality hits, you can talk to me about it.

Keep using +/- and you'll keep being wrong bud.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming

Might want to make sure hockey names aren't dunking on the tweet you are quoting
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
    Keep using +/- and you'll keep being wrong bud.

I'm not using +/- as a notable stat. I'm just stating how he had the worse +/- on the team.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.

Might want to make sure hockey names aren't dunking on the tweet you are quoting

Doesn't really prove anything
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
    Subbanator
    ahahahaha my god dude

You've whined constantly about how biased TSN and Sportsnet are because they cover the Leafs extensively. Has it occurred to you that they cover the Leafs so much because you live in Toronto?

You realize they broadcast the same James Duthie, Bob Mavkenzie Craig Button segment's across the country right? Like I said, you can talk to just about any fan from hockey markets across Canada and they will tell you that TSN and Sportnet (supposed national networks) focus on Toronto, they sent out alerts on thier app when JT scored his first scrimmage goal, they called it NHL news and everyone got one even without subscribing the Leafs. Same with thier websites, Toronto makes a move and the entire homepage is Leafs, entire world sees the same website, and the entire world doesnt care to see a Leafs fan page.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 3:24 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I would say that's true except for the fact that I live just north of Toronto and am a huge Raptors and Jay's fan and spend summers going to Jay's games (yes this year was tough), I will admit that I got priced out of going to Raptors games when Kawhi came but still able to get to 1 or 2 a year. So no, my time is fairly split, but living here I also experience that media in the area touts its self as a national sports news network but also owns teams in the respective sports. It creates a bias, that bias then gets spread as far and wide as possible from the media machine. I'm not saying every fan follows it but there is a reason a lot of Canada sports fans complain about TSN and Sportsnet.

You've complete lost me how at least rational fans can be influenced that much by watching a game, just because the game are broadcast on channels 22 and 24 from my Rogers cable box. Since November 1, I have been away from home from 630 to 930 PM, so I'm taping the games and fast forward through much commentary...guess other folks do that to. But certainly Leaf fans (I'm not sure about other team fans) can watch their prospects in the AHL and try to make rational decisions are whether the players are have NHL potential. IMO only Sandin and Liljegren from the Marlies can be considered different makes NHLers in the NHL.
    I'm 65 years old. Years ago, not all games were broadcast. Games on TV started 30 minutes or 60 minutes in the game, so fans were more dependent on the media...mostly newspapers for information.
    Now all home games are broadcast beginning to end. Lots of neutral games are broadcast. You can watch as many AHL as you want. So IMO sensible fans can make their own judgements just by watching the games instead of getting info from writers or analysts.
    Fans that actually believe what the talking heads say or what reporters write, I think believe that information at their own peril. Those guys are in the entertainment business not in the "here are the facts" business.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll