SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Do you think this team can win the Stanley Cup as currently construed?

Can they win the Stanley Cup?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 27, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
Other teams need their RHD too, so it's not like many teams have four RHD and have one available for trade. Fact is 60% of players shoot left handed. So proportionally a team should only have two RHD in their top six. IMO let's get off the obsession with iindng one or two RHD at costs. Only way the Leafs can get enough cap to sign one of the few available UFA RHD and then they would have trade a forward for futures. And lots of teams with cap issues will be trading good forwards to teams with cap space and getting little return. If Leafs can find a competent RHD at 3.4m X 3, and it means trading Johnsson for a seventh rounder....if that's the only option, I take it,

So to me your suggesting Hamonic.
I think it's real possibility since DeMelo might stay with Jets.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster

I hope he goes to be a UFA.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 6:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

If it means anything, Hamonic is Manitoba based and DeMelo is from London Ontario. Jets still gotta figure what Byfliuen is gonna to do and his 7.6m cap before throwing moderate money at a UFA.
Dubas job (like other GMs) gotta get their cap in place before the end of June so they know what they can spend on UFA. Signing Mikheyvov, Dermot Gauthier and trading Johnsson is probably on his wish list for mid June.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 7:24 p.m.

Quoting: oneX
I hope he goes to be a UFA.

Who would you guys rather have.... DeMelo or Hamonic?
Feb. 27, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
If it means anything, Hamonic is Manitoba based and DeMelo is from London Ontario. Jets still gotta figure what Byfliuen is gonna to do and his 7.6m cap before throwing moderate money at a UFA.
Dubas job (like other GMs) gotta get their cap in place before the end of June so they know what they can spend on UFA. Signing Mikheyvov, Dermot Gauthier and trading Johnsson is probably on his wish list for mid June.

Which one would you rather have?
Feb. 27, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000

DeMelo easily due to age.
27 vs 32.
oneX, palhal and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.

Without question DeMelo. Look, he's not flashy at all but right now the last thing the Leafs need is flashy. DeMelo gets the job done and that's good enough for me.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 11:53 p.m.

Without question DeMelo. Look, he's not flashy at all but right now the last thing the Leafs need is flashy. DeMelo gets the job done and that's good enough for me.

You're both right and you're starting to sway me lol
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
You're both right and you're starting to sway me lol

The thing is...Leafs have players who show flash and some times trying to pull that off when all that required is a simple play.

Tonight vs Florida everyone kept it relatively simple but too often that's not the case.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 12:58 a.m.
The thing is...Leafs have players who show flash and some times trying to pull that off when all that required is a simple play.

Tonight vs Florida everyone kept it relatively simple but too often that's not the case.

You're absolutely right...but do you think Hamonic is a flashy player?... I don't I think he's the type of player we need. The way I look at it is we need a D who can play with Rielly, which means they have to be able to play 25 mins a night against other teams toughest match ups and covering up for Rielly's lack of defensive ability. that is why I've been so high on him for a while. I also think that player needs to be someone who's been around a while and someone who instills confidence in the fan base. I like DeMelo but the only reason why I would want Hamonic more (but it's real close for me that's why I said you two were swaying me) is because I think he can handle the roll better over the course of a season.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:01 a.m.
GM - Canucks
You're absolutely right...but do you think Hamonic is a flashy player?... I don't I think he's the type of player we need. The way I look at it is we need a D who can play with Rielly, which means they have to be able to play 25 mins a night against other teams toughest match ups and covering up for Rielly's lack of defensive ability. that is why I've been so high on him for a while. I also think that player needs to be someone who's been around a while and someone who instills confidence in the fan base. I like DeMelo but the only reason why I would want Hamonic more (but it's real close for me that's why I said you two were swaying me) is because I think he can handle the roll better over the course of a season.

Could not the Leafs just switch Dermott to the right side to play with Rielly.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:06 a.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
Could not the Leafs just switch Dermott to the right side to play with Rielly.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think it would be a wise idea at this point in Dermott's career. Generally, it takes d 300 games to be able to see who they are and Dermmy is around the halfway point, plus he's been inconsistent this season and will continue to because he's experiencing growing pains. I like Dermott I just don't think it would be in his best interest for his career to expect to much of him too soon.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:37 a.m.
GM - Canucks
I get where you're coming from but I don't think it would be a wise idea at this point in Dermott's career. Generally, it takes d 300 games to be able to see who they are and Dermmy is around the halfway point, plus he's been inconsistent this season and will continue to because he's experiencing growing pains. I like Dermott I just don't think it would be in his best interest for his career to expect to much of him too soon.

I think Dermott is ready to be challenged and step up into a much bigger role with the team. He had an outstanding game tonight in shut down role with Holl. You have to remember that he played on the Erie Otters and practiced against players like McDavid, Brown, DeBrincat and Strome for a number of years and he is fully capable of playing against more elite players, I think he can be a really great defenceman and is ready to put into a more important role on the team.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:39 a.m.

You are making a fair point here. I had not thought of this so something to keep thinking about. @Trickster makes a good point about Hamonic's age vs DeMelo's age so there's that side of the argument too.

About the Leafs tonight vs Florida: I'm torn between wanting them to make the playoffs vs miss the playoffs so they learn a hard lesson about playing hard, giving attention to details.

Clearly, this team can play better defensively as they showed tonight and vs Tampa...but they can't just do that when they feel like doing it.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:51 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Feb. 28, 2020 at 2:28 a.m.
You are making a fair point here. I had not thought of this so something to keep thinking about. @Trickster makes a good point about Hamonic's age vs DeMelo's age so there's that side of the argument too.

About the Leafs tonight vs Florida: I'm torn between wanting them to make the playoffs vs miss the playoffs so they learn a hard lesson about playing hard, giving attention to details.

Clearly, this team can play better defensively as they showed tonight and vs Tampa...but they can't just do that when they feel like doing it.

I would not be surprised if Leafs will sign a Russian UFA defenceman out of KHL at the end of April to add another defenceman to the team after the success they had signing Mikheyev last year.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 7:10 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: TMLSage
I think Dermott is ready to be challenged and step up into a much bigger role with the team. He had an outstanding game tonight in shut down role with Holl. You have to remember that he played on the Erie Otters and practiced against players like McDavid, Brown, DeBrincat and Strome for a number of years and he is fully capable of playing against more elite players, I think he can be a really great defenceman and is ready to put into a more important role on the team.

I like what tour saying and I was a firm believer in this for a long time.

Our horrible defensively play in past weeks had me 2nd guessing this though. Yes it's on the whole team and not 1 guy.

I like Dermott.
I want him to improve and succeed.

Will he? He should, we can hope.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 7:15 a.m.
hey look a squirrel

No Hamonic is not flashy either but I think he might get more money and combined with age, I want to go with DeMelo.

Have to worry about how much term you give Hamonic too, what if he does age well?

Plus Hamonic used to be Gio's partner, I think Brodie has had that role this season.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

What you think of 2 million or 2.5 AAV per to DeMelo for 5 years as a contract? Basically term with low money.
@onex
Feb. 28, 2020 at 3:55 p.m.
What you think of 2 million or 2.5 AAV per to DeMelo for 5 years as a contract? Basically term with low money.
@onex

Likely going to have to go at least 3 million. He will have alot interest is the reason why.
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.

The good thing about this discussion is that there's no wrong answer with would be a good fit.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:26 p.m.
No Hamonic is not flashy either but I think he might get more money and combined with age, I want to go with DeMelo.

Have to worry about how much term you give Hamonic too, what if he does age well?

Plus Hamonic used to be Gio's partner, I think Brodie has had that role this season.

I'm can't dispute that, and like I was saying to @oneX the good thing about his topic is there's no wrong answer as either player would be a good fit here IMO.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
@onex

I think we would have our Mayfield.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
Likely going to have to go at least 3 million. He will have alot interest is the reason why.

But what if we say please and thank you?
oneX liked this.
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
But what if we say please and thank you?

Lol
I wish that would work...
Feb. 29, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
Lol
I wish that would work...

Darn...it was worth a shot lol.
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: