SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Do you think this team can win the Stanley Cup as currently construed?

Can they win the Stanley Cup?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 26, 2020 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I have come up with 2 trades in the offseason

Trade #1

To Dallas
Kerfoot
Rights to Vladislav Kara
Rights to James Greenway

For

Dickinson
Rights Fredrik Karlstrom (C with size)
Rights to Samuel Sjolund (LD with potential)

Trade #2

To Chicago
Kapanen
Johnsson
Rights to Travis Dermott
Rights to Jeremy Bracco
2 x 6th rounders

For

Murphy
Rights to Drake Caggiula
Rights to Alexis Gravel (G with size)
Rights to Josiah Slavin (C prospect)
2nd rounder

Looks good to me killa. Do you think Dallas and Chi-town would make those trades? Also, as an in house option for 3rd line centre I like Engvall if the Leafs move out Kerfoot and can't find a replacement.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Looks good to me killa. Do you think Dallas and Chi-town would make those trades? Also, as an in house option for 3rd line centre I like Engvall if the Leafs move out Kerfoot and can't find a replacement.

Engvall would be the default 3C. Unless Dubas can find another 3C for a bargain, it's hard to see Engvall anywhere else just because of cap reasons.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
Engvall would be the default 3C. Unless Dubas can find another 3C for a bargain, it's hard to see Engvall anywhere else just because of cap reasons.

I get that but I like the idea of him being our 3rd line center as of now...do you like that idea or only as a last resort?
oneX liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I am hoping so.
Was worried we are giving too much in the Hawks trade.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I get that but I like the idea of him being our 3rd line center as of now...do you like that idea or only as a last resort?

What about Jason Dickinson from Dallas in the trade I proposed??? Hes solid defensive 3C IMO.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:23 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I like what Engvall brings but I thought he was more effective on the wing.

In the Tampa game, he played wing and Kerfoot was the 3C.
They both played better but so did the whole team in that game
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
I am hoping so.
I was worried we are giving too much in the Hawks trade.

That was my initial thought but CHI has no incentive to move him unless it's an overpay. I try to look at these players and their value as if they were leafes what would it take for a team to pry them from us and in this case the hawks would want a kings ransom and rightfully so.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I have come up with 2 trades in the offseason

Trade #1

To Dallas
Kerfoot
Rights to Vladislav Kara
Rights to James Greenway

For

Dickinson
Rights Fredrik Karlstrom (C with size)
Rights to Samuel Sjolund (LD with potential)

Trade #2

To Chicago
Kapanen
Johnsson
Rights to Travis Dermott
Rights to Jeremy Bracco
2 x 6th rounders

For

Murphy
Rights to Drake Caggiula
Rights to Alexis Gravel (G with size)
Rights to Josiah Slavin (C prospect)
2nd rounder

@jamiepo @palhal

Can you give your thoughts on this please??
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
That was my initial thought but CHI has no incentive to move him unless it's an overpay. I try to look at these players and their value as if they were leafes what would it take for a team to pry them from us and in this case the hawks would want a kings ransom and rightfully so.

I hear you.
I have the Leafs with 4+ million cap space left after these 2 trades and signing RFAs.

Think how that could be used at deadline and offseason.
I'm drooling.awesome face
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
What about Jason Dickinson from Dallas in the trade I proposed??? Hes solid defensive 3C IMO.

I agreed he would be a good option. I was stating that I like Engvall for that roll right now and more so if we trade Kerfoot and don't bring in a replacement to which @oneX replied he would be our default option in that instance so I asked him if he likes him in that roll now or if he would only be ok if it was a last resort type of situation.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
@jamiepo @palhal

We could win the cup this season... you never know. I think as far as the roster is concerned, moving one or both of kerfoot and Johnsson and adding a solid top 4 rhd is what is needed.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I agreed he would be a good option. I was stating that I like Engvall for that roll right now and more so if we trade Kerfoot and don't bring in a replacement to which @oneX replied he would be our default option in that instance so I asked him if he likes him in that roll now or if he would only be ok if it was a last resort type of situation.

Do you have a preference on Engvall at wing or C???
I like him at wing more which is funny because you remember in December I started a topic for discussion to move Engvall to 3C over Kerfoot. Lol
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Jamiepo
We could win the cup this season... you never know. I think as far as the roster is concerned, moving one or both of kerfoot and Johnsson and adding a solid top 4 rhd is what is needed.

And 3C????
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:41 p.m.
I like what Engvall brings but I thought he was more effective on the wing.

In the Tampa game, he played wing and Kerfoot was the 3C.
They both played better but so did the whole team in that game

I get it and I'm fine if he's a wing because that means we have more depth for the position, I was just saying that I like the idea of him as our 3rd line center next year. I also like Zacha even as a wing but I assumed you were looking for alternatives because you're not high on him. I also like Dickinson I just didn't think Dallas would move him or at least as easily as the devils would move Zacha. Swinny gave me the idea for the trade I just really like it as an offseason move for us but I won't lose any sleep if we don't land him.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
And 3C????

Engvall, spezza, nylander.. depends on how crazy you want to get. Maybe just keeping kerfoot in there. 3C will have 2 good wingers capable of driving that line. Not to worried about it. Top 6 and top 4 will win us games.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
I hear you.
I have the Leafs with 4+ million cap space left after these 2 trades and signing RFAs.

That would make us a dangerous piece of business come the deadline and you know exactly what I mean lol but seriously I think Dubas needs to figure out a way to have some flexibility with the cap going forward or else his job will be that much harder going forward. He lucked out with how the injuries staggered this season but he can't expect things to play out the same way next year.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:51 p.m.
I hear you.

That would make us a dangerous piece of business come the deadline and you know exactly what I mean lol but seriously I think Dubas needs to figure out a way to have some flexibility with the cap going forward or else his job will be that much harder going forward. He lucked out with how the injuries staggered this season but he can't expect things to play out the same way next year.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
Do you have a preference on Engvall at wing or C???
I like him at wing more which is funny because you remember in December I started a topic for discussion to move Engvall to 3C over Kerfoot. Lol

I like him @ 3rd line center the most.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.

Engvall has tailed off offensively as the season has gone on so maybe as a last resort? He needs to show in these last 19 games imo.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
Engvall has tailed off offensively as the season has gone on so maybe as a last resort? He needs to show in these last 19 games imo.

That's fair. I guess it's also depending on how Keefe wants to utilize the 3rd line (Babcock liked to use his 3rd line as a shutdown line and who knows how Keefe will approach next season because he'll most likely be making changes to how he approaches this team next year based on this years results IMO), and who would be his most consistent linemates.

Interesting times in Leaf land ahead!!!
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 12:25 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jamiepo

The Leafs (like most teams) are married to their players for next season. No way the Leafs do much in the playoffs this year. Next year I'm more optimistic. One good thing about all the Dmen injuries, Liljegren and Sandin are getting NHL ready in the heat of playoff race. A top 4 RHD...not sure if one is even available via trade. Even two solid bottom pairing RHD might be good enough. As you suggest some forward with cap will have to moved.
TMLSage and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 12:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
@jamiepo @palhal

1. A don't like trading Kerfoot. He's needed at centre, especially in a long season where he have injuries. You just can't move the bottom end centres up in the lineup if Tavares or Matthews go down.
2. I wouldn't trade any Dman...just to obtain another. So I'm against trading Dermot (and more) just to get a RHD.
3. Johnsson or Kapanen likely have to be traded to get cap room for a RHD. Who that is I don't know. This summer I'm getting Dermot prepared to play the right side.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
1. A don't like trading Kerfoot. He's needed at centre, especially in a long season where he have injuries. You just can't move the bottom end centres up in the lineup if Tavares or Matthews go down.
2. I wouldn't trade any Dman...just to obtain another. So I'm against trading Dermot (and more) just to get a RHD.
3. Johnsson or Kapanen likely have to be traded to get cap room for a RHD. Who that is I don't know. This summer I'm getting Dermot prepared to play the right side.

Interesting.
So you dont want to get more defensive minded 3C over Kerfoot? I liked the way Kerfoot started the year and the Tampa game he was solid too, but in between he was okay to horrible IMO.

You still believe in Dermott, okay... I'm a little worried he may not be more than 3rd pair worthy.
I know @jamiepo thinks Dermott will break out soon.

Have any thoughts on who that magically RD is???
In my scenario, I said Murphy and have also explored Severson as well recently.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Interesting.
So you dont want to get more defensive minded 3C over Kerfoot? I liked the way Kerfoot started the year and the Tampa game he was solid too, but in between he was okay to horrible IMO.

You still believe in Dermott, okay... I'm a little worried he may not be more than 3rd pair worthy.

I think he is already more than 3rd pair worthy. He has a solid 2way game. Will have a great look at him on the top pair tonight. Sandin with Barrie scares me a bit though.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 2:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Interesting.

Other teams need their RHD too, so it's not like many teams have four RHD and have one available for trade. Fact is 60% of players shoot left handed. So proportionally a team should only have two RHD in their top six. IMO let's get off the obsession with iindng one or two RHD at costs. Only way the Leafs can get enough cap to sign one of the few available UFA RHD and then they would have trade a forward for futures. And lots of teams with cap issues will be trading good forwards to teams with cap space and getting little return. If Leafs can find a competent RHD at 3.4m X 3, and it means trading Johnsson for a seventh rounder....if that's the only option, I take it,

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit