Forums/Armchair-GM

3 way NJ COL

Created by: Richard88
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 23, 2020
Published: May 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto needs to improve defensively, no doubt about it. Adding a strong defensive 3C and a top 4 shutdown RHD would go a long way to making Toronto more competitive.

In this AGM Toronto acquires Zacha in a 3-team trade with NJ and COL to open up enough capspace for a significant RHD UFA signing (Hamonic).

Zacha is an elite PKer and defensively sound 3C, signed to a low $2.25m caphit. Toronto have a number of good young middle 6 wingers (i.e. Mikheyev, Hyman, Johnsson, Kapanen, Robertson, etc) so it makes sense to use one of them to acquire Zacha.

Toronto need a defensive 3C more than they need an offensive-minded 3C like Kerfoot, and aquiring Zacha makes Kerfoot expendable via trade. This swap opens up $1.25m capspace that can go towards signing Hamonic in UFA. Hamonic is a big shutdown RHD which is exactly what Toronto needs on the right side.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
1$1,600,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
5$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Zadorov, Nikita [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
3 way trade (Zadorov sent to NJ for Zacha)
TOR
  1. Zacha, Pavel
Additional Details:
*** 3 WAY TRADE ***

To Toronto: Zacha + 3rd

To NJ: Zadorov

To COL: Kapanen
TOR
    For futures from whatever team
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,471,450$0$0$28,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 4
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $821,667$821,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 4
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 23, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
    John 3 16
    Regarding Zacha's defensive strengths:

"In '18-'19 Zacha's on-ice rates for CA/60, SA/60, SCA/60, HDCA/60, and xGA/60 were all top-10 rates among 179 other forwards. His on-ice rate of GA/60 and his individual amount of shots were in the top 10% in the NHL" - quote by @Smitty426
    May 23, 2020 at 9:40 p.m.
    Zacha is not a strong defensive 3C. Leafs get shredded in this deal.
    May 23, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
    Think that Toronto could use Zadorov more than Zacha.
    May 23, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: Adambuffalo

I don't think Toronto would be interested in another LHD.

In any case, do you think Zadorov + 3rd for Kapanen is a fair trade in isolation? Their salaries are roughly similar so I suppose it could work.
    May 23, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.
    John 3 16

In any case, do you think Zadorov + 3rd for Kapanen is a fair trade in isolation? Their salaries are roughly similar so I suppose it could work.
    May 23, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    Any numbers/stats to backup Hamonic being an effective shutdown Dman?

Additionally, he's had one healthy season in his entire career (and even that was the lockout year).

But players seem to improve once they get into their 30s (bday in Aug) especially ones with long injury histories, and aren't the best skaters to begin with.

There's no way that 5 yr term comes back to haunt the Leafs, also no way they end up kicking themselves for letting go of a younger, quicker, better puck moving and cheaper option for futures.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Barilko14
    Any numbers/stats to backup Hamonic being an effective shutdown Dman?

Additionally, he's had one healthy season in his entire career (and even that was the lockout year).

But players seem to improve once they get into their 30s (bday in Aug) especially ones with long injury histories, and aren't the best skaters to begin with.

There's no way that 5 yr term comes back to haunt the Leafs, also no way they end up kicking themselves for letting go of a younger, quicker, better puck moving and cheaper option for futures.

I agree with the sentiment, but you could probably tone down the sarcasm a bit.
    Richard88 liked this.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
    so toronto trades their best chips to get a defender for a 3c who cant play at evens and 'whatever'
    lol, k
    May 23, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.
    Quoting: Richard88

Zadorov sucks, so no.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.

they dont need either.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:08 p.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
    I agree with the sentiment, but you could probably tone down the sarcasm a bit.

I probably could, it just gets annoying seeing Dermott tossed overboard daily in these ACGMs for nothing (or forgotten completely), but 30 yo dmen that are obviously declining are traded for or signed and would cost double or triple what Dermott would cost.

Makes zero sense.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: Barilko14
    I probably could, it just gets annoying seeing Dermott tossed overboard daily in these ACGMs for nothing (or forgotten completely), but 30 yo dmen that are obviously declining are traded for or signed and would cost double or triple what Dermott would cost.

Makes zero sense.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but I figured that Dermott would be a trade chip given that he often gets included in AGM trades by Leafs fans themselves.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    I'm not a Leafs fan, but I figured that Dermott would be a trade chip given that he often gets included in AGM trades by Leafs fans themselves.

Classic grass is always greener scenarios.

Seeing as it happens often enough to send me on a bit of a rant, I could see why you would view him as a trade chip from another fans perspective.
    Richard88 and I4evrblue liked this.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:21 p.m.

Really depends. Is a second pairing LD that is a shutdown guy and hits everything in sight worth as much as a 2RW 50 point winger that is a good PK guy. Don't think Toronto needs a LD, but I don't think Colorado needs a RW either. The only reason that the original 3 way trade worked is because Toronto needs to shed salary. Perhaps the better trade is Zadorov for Zacha. NJ could use a big, strong LD and have a lot of center depth and cap space to offset the difference in salary.
    Richard88 liked this.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:24 p.m.
    Really depends. Is a second pairing LD that is a shutdown guy and hits everything in sight worth as much as a 2RW 50 point winger that is a good PK guy. Don't think Toronto needs a LD, but I don't think Colorado needs a RW either. The only reason that the original 3 way trade worked is because Toronto needs to shed salary. Perhaps the better trade is Zadorov for Zacha. NJ could use a big, strong LD and have a lot of center depth and cap space to offset the difference in salary.

he isnt a shut down defender though. he cant defend, which is a big part of being a shut down defender. He's a big guy who can skate ok and hit sometimes. he cant put up points and he cant stop goals. LD or RD they dont need Zadorov
    May 23, 2020 at 10:33 p.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: JaredOfLondon
    he isnt a shut down defender though. he cant defend, which is a big part of being a shut down defender. He's a big guy who can skate ok and hit sometimes. he cant put up points and he cant stop goals. LD or RD they dont need Zadorov

Zadorov is fantastic at defending in transition. He's just not good at tracking guys in a zonal defending system on the cycle. If you use him right he's a tremendous asset, you just need to know what to expect and how to get the best out of him.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:37 p.m.
    Zadorov is fantastic at defending in transition. He's just not good at tracking guys in a zonal defending system on the cycle. If you use him right he's a tremendous asset, you just need to know what to expect and how to get the best out of him.

Martin Marincin is good at defending in transition, and he sucks. Zadorov is absolutely useless in his own zone and he cant do anything with the puck even if he strips a guy of it. He is not remotely close to being a tremendous asset, he's a big guy with literally one tool in his tool box.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.

Positive Corsi and Fenwick, PDO over 100, about 70 more hits than the Leafs highest checker all while starting 55% in the Dzone. This year on the ice for 3 SH goals for and 11 against with a remarkable 108 PDO while shorthanded.

You should really watch these guys play before commenting on them.
    May 23, 2020 at 10:49 p.m.
    Positive Corsi and Fenwick, PDO over 100, about 70 more hits than the Leafs highest checker all while starting 55% in the Dzone. This year on the ice for 3 SH goals for and 11 against with a remarkable 108 PDO while shorthanded.

You should really watch these guys play before commenting on them.

what? he had a 47.0% CF%, 47.4% FF% and an even wors expected goals against%. You also realise PDO isnt player controlled right? It's simply a tool to measure, for lack of a better term, luck. a 100 PDO basically means that they were neutral in luck (its shooting% + Save %) and anything over 100 is 'good' luck and anything under is 'bad' luck. So, you're basically arguing that Zadorov was benefiting from a higher than average on ice shooting percentage and/or save percentage.
    as far as hits, lol, yeah that's an utterly meaningless number and no one who knows anything about stat cares about that.

You should really understand what stats mean before you use them
    May 23, 2020 at 11:06 p.m.
    what? he had a 47.0% CF%, 47.4% FF% and an even wors expected goals against%. You also realise PDO isnt player controlled right? It's simply a tool to measure, for lack of a better term, luck. a 100 PDO basically means that they were neutral in luck (its shooting% + Save %) and anything over 100 is 'good' luck and anything under is 'bad' luck. So, you're basically arguing that Zadorov was benefiting from a higher than average on ice shooting percentage and/or save percentage.
    as far as hits, lol, yeah that's an utterly meaningless number and no one who knows anything about stat cares about that.

You should really understand what stats mean before you use them

Over 50% for both at EV. And both goalies had a higher SV% when Zadorov was on the ice short handed. Also he was on the ice for the 4th best SV% among the dmen on the team, which puts him right around the 2nd pairing that I inferred to originally. If you think PDO is just luck, then I don't know what to tell you.
    May 23, 2020 at 11:14 p.m.
    Over 50% for both at EV. And both goalies had a higher SV% when Zadorov was on the ice short handed. Also he was on the ice for the 4th best SV% among the dmen on the team, which puts him right around the 2nd pairing that I inferred to originally. If you think PDO is just luck, then I don't know what to tell you.

Players have no effect on SV% over large sample sizes. So that's not on him and is utterly meaningless when trying to place zadorov by pairing
    And Martin Marincin (who sucks) had a 1% higher EV CF% and FF% than zadorov. And PDO isnt just luck, luck is just the easiest way to describe it because any stats person worth their salt will tell you that individual players do not impact their lines over all shooting percentage or their goalies save percentage over the course of an entire game, let alone season, it is a tool to give you a rough idea of how much a player is benefiting from the team they are on. For instance, if a player's assist rate is high, but they also have a high PDO, then they are probably benefiting from their line shooting the lights out. OR, more relevantly, if a defender has a good goals against rate, say, short handed, and a high PDO, then they are probably benefiting from their goalie playing very well.

good thing i know what to tell you.
    May 23, 2020 at 11:23 p.m.
    Players have no effect on SV% over large sample sizes. So that's not on him and is utterly meaningless when trying to place zadorov by pairing

Yes, you're 100% correct. The guys in front of the goalie has 0% relation to if a goalie has a good SV% or not. In fact, you could probably throw 5 forwards out there all the time, because the goalies SV% won't be affected. Defenders don't really have any purpose I guess.

At least that has been Toronto's philosophy for years.
    May 23, 2020 at 11:32 p.m.
    Yes, you're 100% correct. The guys in front of the goalie has 0% relation to if a goalie has a good SV% or not. In fact, you could probably throw 5 forwards out there all the time, because the goalies SV% won't be affected. Defenders don't really have any purpose I guess.

yes, it is correct. I do notice how you totally ignored the part about sample sizes. It means that a goalie will still save roughly the same percentage of shots be it 10 shots or 1000. teams with bad defenders just give up way more shots so they let in way more goals

this is literally what the people who invented the stat says about it.

At least that has been Toronto's philosophy for years.
    May 24, 2020 at 8:09 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I disagree with the theory that a third line centre is a "defensive centre". No, he should be more offensive capabilities. If there is a injury to your top two centres teams need a good offensive centre to take their place.
    So the post has the Leafs receiving Zacha, and. Hamonic for Kerfoot, Kapanen and Dermot. No thanks from the Leafs. Five years of Hamonic? Gag.
    May 24, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: palhal
    I disagree with the theory that a third line centre is a "defensive centre". No, he should be more offensive capabilities. If there is a injury to your top two centres teams need a good offensive centre to take their place.
    So the post has the Leafs receiving Zacha, and. Hamonic for Kerfoot, Kapanen and Dermot. No thanks from the Leafs. Five years of Hamonic? Gag.

Dermott and Kerfoot aren't involved in this trade and you would get assets for them via another trade, such as a 2nd each, maybe more. So overall it would be Zacha + Hamonic + 2 2nd's for Kapanen, Dermott, and Kerfoot.

That said, I get your point about the term on Hamonic.

I think a good modern-day 3C should be able to do a bit of everything, but especially be solid defensively to be able to take difficult matchups. A good 3C can make your team really difficult to play against, which is why we saw Pageau get a $5m contract last summer.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll