Was Tavares Signing a Mistake

Created by: ALjet12
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 24, 2020
Published: May 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am not a Leaf's fan.
Looking at the Leaf's salary cap situation for the next few years, was Tavares signing a mistake.
The leafs have four star player's making over 40 million dollars, that is almost 50 % of their cap. They have a piss pour defense and a aging star goaltender that has to play 60+ games a year( which teams are moving away from ) He also on his last year of his contract on 2020 and he sure will get a raise. The team has a number one defensemen in Rielly and a solid defensive second line defensemen in Muzzin. Tyson Barrie will mostly not return next year and leafs got nothing for him at TDL. There rookies on defense are too young to make an impact , they need more time to develop. Tavarse had a monster of season in 2019 put up fans tactic numbers but down the line three years later I see the Leafs regretting that contract. We saw it with the Blackhawks with Toews and Kane. You just can not win just a few players making the majority of the cap, financial sacrifices have to be made.
PS: they should trade Nylander
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$81,500,000$76,924,783$0$0$4,575,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 24, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
Banned
All these non leaf trolls on here saying JT was a mistake, is just hilarious. Bitter non sense. It will be so much fun when this still very young team finally peaks. Of course then the same trolls on here will find some excuse as to why it was lucky and not a good team finally hitting the their stride but it will still be fun. Just a bunch of little ****es dreaming for justification on why they want the Leafs to fail. This is pathetic.
firezfurx liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 11:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
Generation player? Well Matthews signed for just five years . Even if the the season had continued this year, think the Leafs would have got out of the first round this year.
I still say that Leafs could have found just as good ways to spend 11.6m on various player(s) than Matthews and also had the four first rounders.

I agree with a lot of what you say but thinking 3 players making 11.6 million would equal Matthews is just nuts. His talent level doesn't come around often and it's impossible to replicate with 3 lesser players. The reality is there are hundreds of good players and thousands of okay players. But there are not many elite players. They can do stuff others just can't and considering Matthews scored at around a 60 goal pace when Keefe took over, finding 2 30 goal players that make less than 11.6 million isn't exactly easy. Stars getting big money is never the problem. It's average players getting 5+ that kills you. TO has none of those.b
firezfurx liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 11:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ALjet12
Kadri played offense and defense was on hell of a contract and was getting paid less than 4 million. I dont think you need a two star centers making about the same amount to win a cup. especially in a game where players play 5 minutes at a time.

And by less than 4 million you mean 4.5 million. At least try to get the actually facts right if you are going to attempt a troll job.
May 24, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
Banned
Please tell what is your long term plan for defense and goaltending because I don't see one without trading one of the big four

Because Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin and Liljegren are just crap. This tired old garbage is so tiring.
firezfurx liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 11:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Like I dont hate marner but u got to admit 5 firsts and 10 mill in cap would have been great for the leafs. Its basically a case of 2 paths. One path lets u have 4 amazing forwards but limits the team in other areas, the other path lets u keep 3 of the 4 players and have 5 first round picks. with 10mill of cap space

Marner didn't accept the offer sheet.
firezfurx and MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 11:37 p.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Except they have no choice but to compete NOW, not in 2023 or some sh*t like that BECAUSE THEY SIGNED TAVARES FOR HEAVENS SAKE

Him coming to TOR forced them to compete for cups even if they were AT LEAST 3 years away from doing that. It screwed up the entire rebuild process, added nothing special to the team since it already had its young forward core, removed everything that ressembles to cap flexibility... want me to go on?

Funny that theres a rangers fan commenting on this when they literally paid more for Panarin and are only gonna make the playoffs cause its 24 teams. The Leafs window is shortened? Lets talk about the Rangers having to pay Zibanejad soon and paying Trouba 8M lol get out of here buddy the Leafs are just about to enter their cup window, nevermind it being small
firezfurx liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Because Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin and Liljegren are just crap. This tired old garbage is so tiring.

They just say uninformed opinions based on reading other people's comments that hate the Leafs. We literally have 2 top 4 D prospects ready to make the jump (potentially a 1st pairing guy in Sandin) plus the defense we already have. Its like people think you need 6 #1 dmen, can't wait for the Leafs to win b2b cups and shut up this nonsense
May 24, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
It's going to be interesting what happens with Rielly. He is playing on a contract below market value and he'll want to cash in on his next deal. If he wants 9 mill x 7 , I can't see Dubas wanting to extend him considering it will take him to his age 35 season.

Or and Dubas has some recent proof of doing just this, Rielly may sign a shorter term deal. Lou taught Dubas what not to do by handing out big contracts to guys leaving their prime. He could just give Rielly a 4x9 million deal.
May 24, 2020 at 11:45 p.m.
Isles7
Or and Dubas has some recent proof of doing just this, Rielly may sign a shorter term deal. Lou taught Dubas what not to do by handing out big contracts to guys leaving their prime. He could just give Rielly a 4x9 million deal.

Lol 9 x 4. Then rielly is gone - he could be the nicest guy in the world, if you think that he’s going to leave millions on the table to stay in Toronto after seeing marner, nylander , and matthews get PAID after their ELC, I don’t know what to tell you.
May 24, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
They just say uninformed opinions based on reading other people's comments that hate the Leafs. We literally have 2 top 4 D prospects ready to make the jump (potentially a 1st pairing guy in Sandin) plus the defense we already have. Its like people think you need 6 #1 dmen, can't wait for the Leafs to win b2b cups and shut up this nonsense

These same ****ing idiots will say that TO's defence will be terrible becuase they only have Holl as a right handed guy. The hand a player shoots was massively important to Babs and then the media made a huge deal and now all these expert Leaf haters just throw up the same bull**** all the time. Had Lehtonen signed anywhere else, he'd be a prized acquisition and a 1st pair guy on a lot of teams. Montreal wanted him to be their #1 puck mover and now he sucks and probably won't make the team. Just emotional idiots.
May 24, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
Banned
Lol 9 x 4. Then rielly is gone - he could be the nicest guy in the world, if you think that he’s going to leave millions on the table to stay in Toronto after seeing marner, nylander , and matthews get PAID after their ELC, I don’t know what to tell you.

**** you are just the ****ing worst.
May 24, 2020 at 11:49 p.m.
Banned

1000% you just sit in your basement waiting for a chance to chirp leaf fans and then jack off to any response you think was made in anger. You are a pathetic piece of work.
May 24, 2020 at 11:51 p.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
These same ****ing idiots will say that TO's defence will be terrible becuase they only have Holl as a right handed guy. The hand a player shoots was massively important to Babs and then the media made a huge deal and now all these expert Leaf haters just throw up the same bull**** all the time. Had Lehtonen signed anywhere else, he'd be a prized acquisition and a 1st pair guy on a lot of teams. Montreal wanted him to be their #1 puck mover and now he sucks and probably won't make the team. Just emotional idiots.

All I'm gonna say is all the hate comes from fans of trash teams. Don't see any Caps/Blues/Pens/Avs/Tampa fans hating, only fans of a good team that hate on us are the bruins but they're at least more reasonable than these Rangers and Sabres fans that think they're team is 1 piece away
May 25, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
Isles7
1000% you just sit in your basement waiting for a chance to chirp leaf fans and then jack off to any response you think was made in anger. You are a pathetic piece of work.

I chirped a leafs fan in this ACGM? Can you quote the post?

To be honest , I wish i had a basement. Live in NYC now so my options were limited.
May 25, 2020 at 12:08 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Players salaries go up, and whatever the market dictates will be what these guys get on their next deal. Did Crosby leave when his last deal was up? Did Kane, Ovie, Carlsson, etc etc? JT left the **** show that was the Islanders (Garth Snow years and no arena). The sentiment that TO is going to lose all their players is frankly stupid.

I never said anything about losing them, my point was it means their eating up even more precious cap space which makes it harder to improve the lineup somewhere else and adding Tavares took away a lot of any cap flexibility they would of had, don't try to change the discussion to something I wasn't even talking about.
May 25, 2020 at 12:09 a.m.
Dubas isnt a genius

Getting paid as a 22 yr old isn't the same as getting paid a a 28 (29?) yr old and I think he knows it. I see him getting sub 9 mil
May 25, 2020 at 12:11 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
We can all thank Lou for the Marleau signing. And to suggest that Kadri and his love of getting suspended in the playoffs is better than Tavares is ****ing joke.

Changing the discussion again I see.
At least Kadri had some balls and stood up for himself, that's something the Leafs are missing.
May 25, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
Isles7
Quoting: firezfurx
Getting paid as a 22 yr old isn't the same as getting paid a a 28 (29?) yr old and I think he knows it. I see him getting sub 9 mil[/quote

All I’m saying is I highly doubt he’ll take a discount on both AAV and term. I can see him taking less than 9 mill, but it will be for 7-8 years.
May 25, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
Isles7
Getting paid as a 22 yr old isn't the same as getting paid a a 28 (29?) yr old and I think he knows it. I see him getting sub 9 mil

All I’m saying is I highly doubt he’ll take a discount on both AAV and term. I can see him taking less than 9 mill, but it will be for 7-8 years.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 1:00 a.m.
No I wouldn't say it's a mistake. Not signing bridge contracts for the other young stars was one.

The thing that worries me about Tavares is speed. The pace of the game has increased in the past decade. Given that speed also declines with age, I think he needs to keep training for speed in the years to come, to avoid falling behind the game.
May 25, 2020 at 3:46 a.m.
ALjet12
Quoting: Barilko14
Marner got paid because of Matthew's contract. Aside from finding success with Tavares, JT being there has no bearing on Marners contract.

So you agree that Marner was overpaid and only got that amount of money because his teammates were making 10 + million dollars
May 25, 2020 at 3:49 a.m.
ALjet12
Doubt it. We are already paying them so much it wouldn't be hard to give them UFA deals. Also, everyone loves playing in Toronto especially the hometown boys. Give Matthews the C and I doubt he leaves.

but if Mathews does not win a cup in 5 years is he really going to stay? Great
May 25, 2020 at 3:59 a.m.
ALjet12
ummm added nothing to the team? He's literally John Tavares. If you ever watched a Leafs game you'd understand the immense value he brings. He is simply good at everything, he drives the puck, he scores, he plays defense, he makes plays. He is the guy running the team. It's not Matthews, he's the goal scorer. It's not Marner, he's the playmaker. It's Tavares with his ability to control the play. I am dumbfouded you said he adds nothing to the team. That is the most uneducated thing I've ever heard. Furthermore, although they definitley can compete now, they will still be able to in 3 years. Looking at Bergeron, Crosby, Kopitar, and other elite Centers he will still be producing until his mid-late 30's. Also, when you have the oppertunity to sign a player like John Tavares. All the time you see ACGM's siging Hall or Pietro without giving a 2nd thought to the upcoming RFA's on that team, but it often isn't frowned upon. They also had made the playoffs the year they signed him, and although they weren't favorites they put up a good fight against Washington and it made perfect sense to get a big name to push the team forward.

As much as we say a GM didn't think it through, I can guarantee you they did. I'm sure every single GM in this league has a clear roadmap planned out on where they want to be, what budget they will have to work with, and so on and so forth. I highly doubt that Dubas is panicking right now thinking "oh no all these keyboard warriors are telling me I need some grit what am I going to do?" I'm sure he has it all figured out, and I'm sure if he wants to acquire a player this summer he has already talked to the GM on what a deal would look like. I'm not worried.

Was he a necessary, no can you say with full confidence that change your team in terms of contending , the leafs are in the same position as they were four years ago. Leafs can not overcome Boston or Tampa. JT is a complementary piece not a essential piece . They should of use that money to up grade their defense at the time.
May 25, 2020 at 7:04 a.m.
In Pridham we trust
So you agree that Marner was overpaid and only got that amount of money because his teammates were making 10 + million dollars

Matthews based on McDavid/Eichel. Marner based on Matthew's, and is overpaid by $1-1.5m per year based on C being higher paid regularly.

I really don't see the JT contract factoring in to it.

He's 5-6 years older at the time he signed his, and a UFA, not really a comparable.
May 25, 2020 at 7:07 a.m.
In Pridham we trust
Was he a necessary, no can you say with full confidence that change your team in terms of contending , the leafs are in the same position as they were four years ago. Leafs can not overcome Boston or Tampa. JT is a complementary piece not a essential piece . They should of use that money to up grade their defense at the time.

Can not overcome Boston or Tampa??

If Kadri doesn't get suspended last year, or if their PK didn't fall apart they win in 6 last year. Toronto was the better team at 5v5.

Tampa got overcome by Clb last year, so to state something so factually seems a bit ridiculous. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Obviously.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll