SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My Final Rankings

My Final Rankings

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Ledge_And_Dairy
Published: Aug. 24, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New York Rangers-Only reason Rangers wouldn't selecting him is if they trade down
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-This one's tricky for me. I personally think Stuzle fits the team's needs best but it's pretty hard to ignore Byfield
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks2nd easiest choice in the draft, take LA doesn't grab
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-This one is tricky to pin down, however I have it narrowed down to 2 players. Rossi and Raymond. Rossi is great 2-way center with lot's of speed and a very high IQ, reminds me a lot of Brayden Point. However that comparison also comes with the similarity in size. Rossi is listed at 5'9, meaning he likely will take a couple extra years to develop into that power forward but that seems to fit Detroits rebuild well. On the other hand we have Raymond, Detroit as a team as a clear lack of right handed wingers. Adding a 2-way playmaking winger that is widely considered to have a similar ceiling and playstyle to Mitch Marner. People keep picking Perfetti to Detroit but I just don't see it
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-This choice is interesting for me, I think it has a lot of effect from the previous 2 picks. If Ottawa get's Byfield and Detroit takes Rossi I think Ottawa takes Raymond. If Ottawa gets Byfield and Detroit takes Raymond I think they take Drysdale. If Ottawa gets Stutzle and Detroit takes Raymond I think they grab Rossi. If Ottawa gets Stuzle and Detroit takes Rossi, either of Raymond or Drysdale is fine. In this scenario they take Raymond
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-This is another very easy choice to me, Anaheim should take whoever is left between Rossi, Raymond, and Drysdale. There is a chance they take Perfetti but I doubt it.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Holtz seems like the clear choice to me here. Jersey is looking for a winger and taking the best goal scorer in the draft checks off all the needs. They may however opt to take Perfetti here though if their scouting is higher on him.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Lundell to Buffalo just makes far too much sense to me. NHL ready, 2-way forward, great skater with a high IQ. Reminds me a lot of Couturier.
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-At this point Minnesota is taking the BPA and hoping he can pan out as a center
10Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-WPG is hard to pin down obviously their defense is an issue as well as their 2C position but neither of those can be fixed instantly with whoever they select at #10. There is some logic to taking Sanderson but with his commitment to University he is likely 3-4 years from playing. Holloway, Jarvis, or Mercer could be a good pick for the eventual center role but again will take some time to join the line up. If either of Perfetti or Lundell fall to #10 they should be chosen without hesitation. There is also the fact that Wheeler is getting up there and should start regressing so maybe taking a winger like Quinn makes senes. With these things considered I think the right play is to select the local kid Seth Jarvis but honestly I have no clue here
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville has drafted a forward the last couple years in the first round of the draft so I think it is smart for them to switch that up. Ekholm, Josi, and (soon to be) Ellis are in their 30's this upcoming season and the outside of Fabbro the Preds don't really have much going for them in terms of defensive prospects. Conveniently one of the BPA's is also a highly regarded D-man that plays just the type of style Nashville loves. Even with his commitment to Uni Sanderson should be able to step into the line up a little after Ekholm likely walks in FA since they need to pay Forsberg. Sanderson could go earlier in the draft but I just don't see it happening
12Logo of the Florida Panthers-Usually at this point in the draft you aren't looking for what your team needs now but instead in 3-4 years. However it's really hard to ignore Florida's defense issues. They seem pretty set on RD atm so Ill look at the other side and Guhle seems to be a pretty solid fit
13Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsI find it very unlikely that Askarov falls much further in this draft. I think Carolina is in the perfect position for a high risk, high reward goalie like him too. For the most part they are quite set on up and down the line up for the foreseeable future except in net. Nedeljkovic has starter potential but the up side on Askarov is far to good to ignore.
14Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-This is probably the best result Edmonton could have asked for (as a Flames fan I'm kinda mad I let this happen). With the center depth the Oilers have, as well as their young up and coming defense core bolstering the wing makes the most sense for them. And who better to do that than the 2nd best goal scorer in the draft Jack Quinn. It's totally possible that Carolina values him higher than Askarov though, in which case Edmonton gets a premium goal prospect instead
15Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-With both of last years first and second round prospects playing on the same team as him at the QMJHL All-Stars Pittsburgh has likely gotten quite a good look at C/RW Dawson Mercer this year. With the eventual decline of Crosby/Malkin I expect them to start trying to restock on some potential top 6 talents including some potential centers
16Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal has very likely gotten quite a good look at this kid this year while keeping an eye on 2019 1st round pick Caufield. Holloway kinda seems like the missing piece in a sense to Montreal, especially when you account for their team's lack of size
17Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago has been quite happy with the results of Kirby Dach thus far and because of this are more than happy selecting a player that performed almost equally well last year and even better this year from the same league. Selecting a center here likely makes Strome expendable for them. Zary is not as big as Dach (or Strome) but plays a very gritty 200ft game. He may even be NHL ready half way through the season. A 1-2-3 punch of Dach - Zary - Toews for the next 5 years seems pretty solid.
18Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesFor New Jersey here I am going to assume Vancouver does not make the Conference finals for simplicity sake and have 2 almost back to back picks. This is important because there are a selection of solid prospects right here and having Calgary take one of your top 2 is less than ideal. So predicting their priority list is important. Because of this I think they will prioritize selecting the best forward on the list and get the defense after. I have them selecting another sniper here in Gunler to help round out their top 6 nicely.
19Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary I have pinned for grabbing the best center still on the market. With Backlund aging it only makes sense to start looking for a replacement. I believe they will hope to get the local kid Holloway but will take whoever is left of him, Jarvis, Mercer, Zary, or Lapierre. If all are gone A RD like Barron or Schneider is probably the next priority, that or just BPA. In this scenario the Flames take the high risk, high reward on another player from the Q with Lapierre. A year ago he was projected to go in the top 10 but 2 concussions and a spinal injury have caused him to drop. He has immense potential as a center with an excellent 2-way game.
20Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksAssuming the Nucks loose to Vegas the Devils will be selecting 20th oa and for the 3rd time in the first round. With this selection I have the Devils looking at their defense, Obviously it would have been nice to get #10 with the Arizona pick and grab Sanderson but alas that is not the outcome. With the 20th OA pick I have Jersey selecting Braden Schneider. A big physical RD with a high IQ and excellent skating leading to a great 2-way game.
21Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersThe rest of these picks are players I think can make a crack at the top 20
22Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
23Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
24Logo of the Dallas Stars-
25Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Aug. 24, 2020 at 8:36 p.m.
wpg
Gotta say I’m hoping for either Lundell, Sanderson or Jarvis at the jets pick
Aug. 24, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Does Washington really pick this late? They lost in the first round
Aug. 24, 2020 at 9:06 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Does Washington really pick this late? They lost in the first round

Yes and no, the 28-31 seeds go to the final 4 teams in the playoffs. Pick 27 up to 24 go to the remaining division winners from the regular season in order of final points (P% in this case). Since both St. Louis and Washington are eliminated, the Capitals are positioned to draft 26th overall. If Tampa eliminates Boston this round Washington will draft 25th instead but that is the earliest they can draft. Regardless of if Vegas wins or not they are the lowest seeded team of the division winners and will not change the Caps draft position.
Capitalfail67 and ColonelX liked this.
Aug. 24, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: HockeyFan989
Gotta say I’m hoping for either Lundell, Sanderson or Jarvis at the jets pick

Yeah Lundell is top priority in my eyes. He is the type of player Chevy should be trying to trade up for if he feels he won’t fall to 10
Aug. 24, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: bunzy1034
Yeah Lundell is top priority in my eyes. He is the type of player Chevy should be trying to trade up for if he feels he won’t fall to 10

Probably but I feel a lot of GM's in front of you are thinking the exact same thing. He is arguably my favourite player in the draft. I personally doubt he's available at #10 so I went with the remaining players and I think Jarvis is a great fit. He's a year younger than Dach and put up 25 more points in 4 less games
SlafCaufZuki liked this.
Aug. 24, 2020 at 10:35 p.m.
wpg
Quoting: bunzy1034

Lundell top priority for sure, but wouldn’t mind Jarvis at all, think he’s my favourite player in this draft
Aug. 24, 2020 at 11:08 p.m.
Lundell top priority for sure, but wouldn’t mind Jarvis at all, think he’s my favourite player in this draft

If Lundell manages to fall to 10th of course, but I doubt it
Aug. 24, 2020 at 11:24 p.m.
wpg
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
If Lundell manages to fall to 10th of course, but I doubt it

yup, think Sanderson would have to go in the top 10 for a chance of that happening.. looks pretty doubtful with his University agreement though
Aug. 24, 2020 at 11:27 p.m.
yup, think Sanderson would have to go in the top 10 for a chance of that happening.. looks pretty doubtful with his University agreement though

Even then I think it's him and Quinn. Basically Rossi has to be available at Minnesota's pick which should never happen
HockeyFan989 and RazWild liked this.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 12:04 a.m.
wpg
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Even then I think it's him and Quinn. Basically Rossi has to be available at Minnesota's pick which should never happen

Agreed, the Wild need a center even more then we do and good chance they view Lundell as a potential replacement for Koivu... kinda torn here cause I cheer for the wild as well

I think Rossi is gonna be gone pretty early and Perfetti could potentially fall, (like u stated) as well as Sanderson being the biggest wildcard of where he gets picked
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 12:05 a.m.
Nick
10/10 Top 20. I agree with every single pick.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 12:16 a.m.
Being wrong is ok
Great mock. I only disagree with Lapierre being so high(won't be surprised if he drops to the 2nd), and Rodion not being in the top 15. The rest are very good observations imo.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 12:38 a.m.
Quoting: BuckoJoyde
Great mock. I only disagree with Lapierre being so high(won't be surprised if he drops to the 2nd), and Rodion not being in the top 15. The rest are very good observations imo.

I really want to have Amirov in the top 20 but I couldn't think of who would take him. Maybe Montreal? It would have to be a place with a strong enough Russian influence to convince him to make the jump.

Lapierre is interesting, of all the centers available after Lundell he probably has the highest ceiling. Like I said, high risk high reward pick.
SlafCaufZuki and BuckoJoyde liked this.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 9:21 a.m.
Evans truther
Edited Aug. 25, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
Thanks for the great explanations of draft rankings, I didn't know about all that.
On Holloway, sometimes when you see a guy too often you focus more on his flaws and they become a lot more obvious to your scouting eye, we'll see at the draft but if they pass on him that could be a reason. I think Montreal -with the depth of their prospect pool- could go land Schneider in the first round and let him dev a while, he'd be a great fit with our top two RD slowly aging and you never have enough RDs as their trading value's off the roof. If they add him Montreal would be set for a decade with a heavy hitting back end, Romanov, Schneider, Struble, Fleury, Juulsen and LeGuerrier or Fairbrother if they develop well are all though guys.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
ARAB05
Very good insight on your draft selection. As an Oilers fan I would be ecstatic for either Quinn or Askarov
Aug. 25, 2020 at 8:22 p.m.
lesnordiquesnext
Thank you for your thoughts and efforts. The explanations are insightful especially at the top of the draft. My only disagreement is with only one Dman going in the top 10. Too many GMs place a high value on this position.
Aug. 25, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
Quoting: lesnordiquesnext
Thank you for your thoughts and efforts. The explanations are insightful especially at the top of the draft. My only disagreement is with only one Dman going in the top 10. Too many GMs place a high value on this position.

This draft is extremely forward heavy and Sanderson is the only defense that could also really go top 10. The issue with that is his commitment to University

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll