Forums/Armchair-GM

Finding Centers

Created by: Wildwinswhen
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 29, 2020
Published: Aug. 29, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let's start by assuming that the top line centers won't happen for the Wild. I don't think we're getting Eichel, Cirelli, or Barzal. So what then?

Also free agent defensemen seem more likely than signing Centers this year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
3$1,200,000
3$1,200,000
3$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
3$2,500,000
3$2,500,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Karlsson, William
Additional Details:
Might be a prospect of a low draft pick too, or this may just be straight up.
MIN
  1. Bellows, Kieffer
  2. Ladd, Andrew
  3. Pageau, Jean-Gabriel
  4. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
The Ladd + Bellows for Parise nearly went through at the deadline. This trade adds more defense for NYI
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,596,794$0$1,137,500$14,903,206
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,900,000$5,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 29, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Not Not a since chance VGK takes this
MGK liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 9:15 p.m.
Not good for Vegas for several reasons. Easily pass.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 9:37 p.m.
Isles7
Wild and isles both decline. The Wild should be targeting danault
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
I don’t think there is anyway NYI takes the Parise trade like that. They paid a kings ransom for JGP and this is essentially flipping him for a year of a Brodin. I do hope the Parise trade goes through though, especially if bellows is involved, but I think it might be a lower level asset that gets it done. And I second that Vegas isn’t pushing hard for a new D man since they picked up Martinez.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I don’t think there is anyway NYI takes the Parise trade like that. They paid a kings ransom for JGP and this is essentially flipping him for a year of a Brodin. I do hope the Parise trade goes through though, especially if bellows is involved, but I think it might be a lower level asset that gets it done. And I second that Vegas isn’t pushing hard for a new D man since they picked up Martinez.

I could see it being Ladd+NYI '21 1st for Parise, but I could also see Lamoriello not wanting to trade their 1st until the deadline to address any holes next season.
jnowariak and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
I could see it being Ladd+NYI '21 1st for Parise, but I could also see Lamoriello not wanting to trade their 1st until the deadline to address any holes next season.

I would take either of these deals. Isles are close and Parise could fight for a cup and we open up 5.5 mil of cap space when the Ladd deal expires right when we hope to compete again.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 10:59 p.m.
You owe us picks
People forget that Koivu was also a part of that deal. He was a rental sure, but the ALLEGED deal was Parise and Koivu for Ladd and Bellows with a HUGE amount of Parises salary retained. They couldn't agree on how much of the salary they wanted to retain. Lou wanted a ton Minny wanted next to none so the deal fell through. There was no Pageau or a 1st rounder involved at all that is massive overkill for that trade.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: Rokk
People forget that Koivu was also a part of that deal. He was a rental sure, but the ALLEGED deal was Parise and Koivu for Ladd and Bellows with a HUGE amount of Parises salary retained. They couldn't agree on how much of the salary they wanted to retain. Lou wanted a ton Minny wanted next to none so the deal fell through. There was no Pageau or a 1st rounder involved at all that is massive overkill for that trade.

The 1st rounder was initially involved, after it was moved for Pageau, Guerin wasn't as interested. I heard no reports about salary being retained, let alone a huge amount. The salary issue was taken care of by the fact that Parise makes 2M more, but is an actual 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL, and Ladd is an AHL cap dump.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
Brock On Dudes
Dont do drugs kids
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
You owe us picks
The 1st rounder was initially involved, after it was moved for Pageau, Guerin wasn't as interested. I heard no reports about salary being retained, let alone a huge amount. The salary issue was taken care of by the fact that Parise makes 2M more, but is an actual 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL, and Ladd is an AHL cap dump.

Actually we had already traded and aquired Pageau before the Parise deal even came to light so the Parise deal was an after thought. Yes you're right Ladd is a cap dump. Parise will be soon as well he's not getting any younger and the Islanders don't need his bloated contract through his worst years. Which is why they wanted a majority of his contract retained.
Isles777 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
Actually we had already traded and aquired Pageau before the Parise deal even came to light so the Parise deal was an after thought. Yes you're right Ladd is a cap dump. Parise will be soon as well he's not getting any younger and the Islanders don't need his bloated contract through his worst years. Which is why they wanted a majority of his contract retained.

The Parise deal was dead in the water by the time it came to light. It was like a week old at that point.

Again, you don't get to dump Ladd AND get a "majority" of Parise's contract retained. Ladd was included to offset the cap. There was no retention. The difference in cap hit/term is offset by the fact that, again, Parise is still a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL, and Ladd is completely done.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:22 p.m.
You owe us picks
The Parise deal was dead in the water by the time it came to light. It was like a week old at that point.

Again, you don't get to dump Ladd AND get a "majority" of Parise's contract retained. Ladd was included to offset the cap. There was no retention. The difference in cap hit/term is offset by the fact that, again, Parise is still a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL, and Ladd is completely done.

When Parises contract is 2 years longer and 2 million more a season. Yeah they do. The point isn't that he can score 20 to 25 goals now. The point is he won't be scoring 20 to 25 by the end of his contract. The knuckleheads locked him up until he's 41 if he's still scoring at the same pace at that age I'll be amazed.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:29 p.m.
When Parises contract is 2 years longer and 2 million more a season. Yeah they do. The point isn't that he can score 20 to 25 goals now. The point is he won't be scoring 20 to 25 by the end of his contract. The knuckleheads locked him up until he's 41 if he's still scoring at the same pace at that age I'll be amazed.

I don't know how else to explain that the return for Parise's contract being 2M and 2 years longer is that they're dumping a completely 100% useless Andrew Ladd for a 20-25 goal scoring Zach Parise. You are getting the significantly better player in the deal, and it's not close. That's why you're taking on the 2 extra years and 2M. I mean, we can go back and forth all night, but retention was never part of the deal. It was Parise and Koivu for Ladd and a 1st. The 1st was then traded for Pageau, and the deal died. Lamoriello tried to substitute Bellows in for the 1st, but Bellows isn't of interest.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 29, 2020 at 11:43 p.m.
You owe us picks
I don't know how else to explain that the return for Parise's contract being 2M and 2 years longer is that they're dumping a completely 100% useless Andrew Ladd for a 20-25 goal scoring Zach Parise. You are getting the significantly better player in the deal, and it's not close. That's why you're taking on the 2 extra years and 2M. I mean, we can go back and forth all night, but retention was never part of the deal. It was Parise and Koivu for Ladd and a 1st. The 1st was then traded for Pageau, and the deal died. Lamoriello tried to substitute Bellows in for the 1st, but Bellows isn't of interest.

That's alright because I don't know how to convince you that Parise's age is catching up to him. I'm not disagreeing that Ladd is useless but I'd rather see Lou eat that contract than take on Parises who's being paid more for a longer term and will be in the same exact same spot Ladd is now. Only by then the Islanders will stuck with Parises contract and not Ladds. I just read every article I found on the rumors and there was no rumor about a 1st rounder. The Wilds biggest fear was apparently was the cap retention penalty if he retired early. That was about the most I found as to why the deal fell through. So looks like we were both wrong.
Isles777 liked this.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 11:41 a.m.

The Pageau part of my deal is trying to find a way to bolster NYI defense with Brodin. I figured he'd sign an extension with NYI, which I should have included. So mine looks like..

Parise = Ladd + Bellows + 1st
Brodin (extended) + Donato = Pageau
Aug. 30, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Not Not a since chance VGK takes this

It's good to know how highly you value Karlsson.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 3:44 p.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
The Pageau part of my deal is trying to find a way to bolster NYI defense with Brodin. I figured he'd sign an extension with NYI, which I should have included. So mine looks like..

Parise = Ladd + Bellows + 1st
Brodin (extended) + Donato = Pageau

Dude there's no way the Islanders would give up a first for Parise. Not at his age and not with his salary and contract length. If I was the wild I'd want to keep him close anyways his cap recapture is insane if he retires early. If he retires early because of injuries etc. the Wild have to pay 19.6 million in cap penalties not the Islanders and the only way for the wild to get around that is to convince him not to retire outright and place him on the LTIR just like the Hawks did with Hossa. They later traded the deal to Arizona. Trust me if he gets hurt with the Islanders they won't do that for you and you'll be begging us to trade him back so you can. You guys have the same situation going on with Suter.

Also Pageu won't be going anywhere we just signed him. If the Islanders were to trade a center at all it would be Cizikas and I hope to god that never happens I like Casey.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 4:48 p.m.
Dude there's no way the Islanders would give up a first for Parise. Not at his age and not with his salary and contract length. If I was the wild I'd want to keep him close anyways his cap recapture is insane if he retires early. If he retires early because of injuries etc. the Wild have to pay 19.6 million in cap penalties not the Islanders and the only way for the wild to get around that is to convince him not to retire outright and place him on the LTIR just like the Hawks did with Hossa. They later traded the deal to Arizona. Trust me if he gets hurt with the Islanders they won't do that for you and you'll be begging us to trade him back so you can. You guys have the same situation going on with Suter.

Also Pageu won't be going anywhere we just signed him. If the Islanders were to trade a center at all it would be Cizikas and I hope to god that never happens I like Casey.

The original deadline deal was supposed to be

Parise =Ladd + 1st

But then, NYI traded the first to get Pageau and the teams couldn't agree on whether any of Parise should be retained. The NYI tried to add Bellows at the end to get the deal done, but without retention is wasn't going through.
Aug. 30, 2020 at 5:49 p.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
The original deadline deal was supposed to be

Parise =Ladd + 1st

But then, NYI traded the first to get Pageau and the teams couldn't agree on whether any of Parise should be retained. The NYI tried to add Bellows at the end to get the deal done, but without retention is wasn't going through.

Please post this article that said a first was involved. I've read dozens of them including the Minnesota media articles and there was no mention of a first rounder in any of them. The only ones I read were Parise, & Koivu for Ladd & Bellows and even those were just speculation. Bellows makes sense from a Minnesota perspective since his old man made a damn good North Star. I'm not trying to argue with you but both you and Caerii claim this as fact, but I haven't seen anything to back this up not even from your own media.
Aug. 31, 2020 at 1:12 a.m.
Please post this article that said a first was involved. I've read dozens of them including the Minnesota media articles and there was no mention of a first rounder in any of them. The only ones I read were Parise, & Koivu for Ladd & Bellows and even those were just speculation. Bellows makes sense from a Minnesota perspective since his old man made a damn good North Star. I'm not trying to argue with you but both you and Caerii claim this as fact, but I haven't seen anything to back this up not even from your own media.

I didn't hear in an article. It was on one of Michael Russo's podcasts, he's the MN Wild beat writer for The Athletic and has been covering the team for years. I heard it a long time ago. Possibly March?

Russo's opinion was that Lou got cold feet after the news broke on TSN. Also he intimated that GMBG was pissed that the first got traded elsewhere.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll