Forums/Armchair-GM

rant

Created by: chloewoj
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 10, 2020
Published: Sep. 10, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
hi i’m sorry just let me rant really quick. you’d think a team who hasn’t made the playoffs in nine years, has a generational talent that’s ready to finally start his career in a different city, has one of the (if not the most) loyal fanbases in all of hockey, just hired a new management team, and has a lot of contracts coming off the books would want to do everything in their power to make their team competitive again? i wish that was the case here in buffalo. i really wish it was.

i’m sorry i know i just told everyone to calm down on a previous armchair gm post but the more i think about it the more i freak out. imagine having owners that bought two professional sports teams in buffalo. two. but act like they only bought one. the pegula’s absolutely adore the bills. they’d do anything for them. they’re willing to spend money on their players (see tre white for example), they go to every single bills game in orchard park, and they’re willing to bring anyone who has the ability to help them win football games. they don’t even know the sabres exist. they’re willing to give us seventy million dollars. that’s eleven and a half million dollars under the cap. it’s like they don’t want us to succeed. it’s like they don’t want us to get better. they give the bills every single tool they need in order to be the best team possible while giving the sabres absolutely nothing. they can’t even give us the bare minimum. i remember the sabres reaired terry pegula’s first game as the owner of the buffalo sabres a few months ago and they showed terry at center ice and i just started crying and my dad asked me why and i just stared at terry pegula and said “because that man right there broke the buffalo sabres”. thank you terry and kim. i thought the sabres reason for existence was to win the stanley cup? all you care about now is josh allen, your super yacht, and your children’s failing business ideas.

what can you do with seventy million dollars in cap? not a whole lot. it now sounds like the sabres will for sure keep the eight overall pick because they don’t have the cap space to bring in a high caliber player that will carry a high cap hit. so let’s put those anthony cirelli fantasies to rest. if the sabres really want to cut cap in a proficient way they’d start by trading rasmus ristolainen but they have a hard on for him so that’s not going to happen! they’d also trade brandon montour but we all know how much they love right handed defenseman so that’s unlikely too! where are they going to cut cap? sam reinhart. their second best forward. jack eichel’s best friend. a consistent 60 point scorer who never gets hurt. i will say this with confidence, if sam goes jack won’t be far behind him.

the buffalo sabres will be a very bad team for a very long time. i’m sad. this team has drained me.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$81,500,000$48,504,167$1,487,500$3,487,500$32,995,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
NoWah49
sorry homie
Remus liked this.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
Banned
When you say generational talent, are you referring to Eichel?
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:24 p.m.
burn the pegulas
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
When you say generational talent, are you referring to Eichel?

i am...funny i could be referencing dahlin. a team with two players of that caliber should be good but here we are.
The potential silver lining here is that the Sabres won't be the only team in the internal cap boat.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Wow. That’s.......sad. Fortunately for us, it will never happen in Montreal, because the Expos moved, the Alouettes suck and our fans will tear Molson to pieces if he keeps us under the cap
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: chloewoj
i am...funny i could be referencing dahlin. a team with two players of that caliber should be good but here we are.

Eichel is a stud, but hes not a generational talent or player
Am Yisrael Chai
tenor.gif
burn the pegulas
Eichel is a stud, but hes not a generational talent or player

i think he is. obviously i am biased. we can agree to disagree.
sabres89 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:27 p.m.
Banned

Generational talents are players like Ovi, Crosby, McDavid.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.

The problem is there are more like him. When there are at very least 2 other great young centers in McDavid and Matthews, theres nothing generational about Eichel. McDavid is the generational talent, Matthews and Eichel are just very good.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.

I think this depends on the parameters of what she's saying. If she's referencing league wide when saying 'generational talent', then I'd agree with you - you're talking your Ovi's, Crosby's, McDavid's... But on an individual team basis, you aren't likely to have multiple players of Eichel's caliber at the same time.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:33 p.m.
Banned
It's especially sad because now they're well positioned to take advantage of other cap strapped teams or those looking to shed good players they can't afford due to their own internal caps. They just don't want to.

The NFL is a money machine so they just have to show up to make money so from a short-sighted viewpoint it's easier to spend. Not so the NHL. Especially when a team has sucked and alienated fans for so long. The Sabres probably don't make money and this won't change that. Having an internal cap in terrible PR. The fans that haven't given up will. It's going to get BAD. Revenue will dive faster than cost. No eyes on the product, no advertising money. Someone playing the long-game now from a business perspective would spend to seize the opportunity to make the team competitive for sustainability's sake and start up the cash cow that is Buffalo sports culture when you win... The damage they do now on top of what has already been done over the past decade...might never recover. People (and a lot of businesses) have forgotten the Sabres.

You never make money cutting costs. Pegulas are panicking. End of story.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:33 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai

Dahlin will be one. Not quite yet but soon.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Dahlin will be one. Not quite yet but soon.

I have my doubts about that. There are a wealth of young Dmen that are at or around the same level as Dahlin right now (Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, Fox). Tough to see him separating himself from the pack enough to be looked at in the light of a Crosby (Undisputed best player of his era), Ovi (Possibly best goal scorer of all time), or McDavid (probably the most gifted player to ever touch NHL ice).
Sep. 10, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Not too late to switch fanbases, I hear the yotes could use some fans
Sep. 10, 2020 at 10:11 p.m.
burn the pegulas
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Not too late to switch fanbases, I hear the yotes could use some fans

i’m gonna stick with buff and continue to be tortured!
AndrewLadd liked this.
Sep. 10, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
i’m gonna stick with buff and continue to be tortured!

Good luck w that, ur gonna need it 😭
Sep. 11, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
Quoting: Taxtime
It's especially sad because now they're well positioned to take advantage of other cap strapped teams or those looking to shed good players they can't afford due to their own internal caps. They just don't want to.

The NFL is a money machine so they just have to show up to make money so from a short-sighted viewpoint it's easier to spend. Not so the NHL. Especially when a team has sucked and alienated fans for so long. The Sabres probably don't make money and this won't change that. Having an internal cap in terrible PR. The fans that haven't given up will. It's going to get BAD. Revenue will dive faster than cost. No eyes on the product, no advertising money. Someone playing the long-game now from a business perspective would spend to seize the opportunity to make the team competitive for sustainability's sake and start up the cash cow that is Buffalo sports culture when you win... The damage they do now on top of what has already been done over the past decade...might never recover. People (and a lot of businesses) have forgotten the Sabres.

You never make money cutting costs. Pegulas are panicking. End of story.

This is a tricky year. The sabres need to sell tickets, the bills dont. There may be rules limiting attendance, which also would not help. It is good that about half the other teams will limit their spending, although lets be honest, its not like the sabres can do any further pr damage. We probably wont have to worry about any cap dumps coming our way, and you can rest easy if you were worried about adams giving out a stupid ufa contract to the second tier guys we usually get a look at. Theres no money and if they have an agent, they will probably suggest going to the khl before coming here.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 5:43 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: sabres89
This is a tricky year. The sabres need to sell tickets, the bills dont. There may be rules limiting attendance, which also would not help. It is good that about half the other teams will limit their spending, although lets be honest, its not like the sabres can do any further pr damage. We probably wont have to worry about any cap dumps coming our way, and you can rest easy if you were worried about adams giving out a stupid ufa contract to the second tier guys we usually get a look at. Theres no money and if they have an agent, they will probably suggest going to the khl before coming here.

Really bad take. You can always do more PR damage. This is a crucial offseason as they can still sell hope to a point (new GM, promising coach, Eichel & Dahlin, tons of cap space to remake the roster, etc.). If they CHOOSE so obviously not to be better because of money? That's new. It was hinted at in the O'Reilly deal but they spent to the cap and layoffs bht COVID. But refusing to spend on players is something no one can argue with.

There are a lot of advertisers and partners who haven't bailed yet. The fact that they are still getting reactions shows people do still care at least enough to watch/follow the team and be mad. For now. That's not going to last much longer. The brand is damaged but not beyond recovery. This could do it. Not wanting to pay for tickets is one thing, not paying attention or caring at all is another. That's how sports franchises die or move.

Here's hoping the Pegulas sell the team (they probably won't).
Sep. 11, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: Taxtime
Really bad take. You can always do more PR damage. This is a crucial offseason as they can still sell hope to a point (new GM, promising coach, Eichel & Dahlin, tons of cap space to remake the roster, etc.). If they CHOOSE so obviously not to be better because of money? That's new. It was hinted at in the O'Reilly deal but they spent to the cap and layoffs bht COVID. But refusing to spend on players is something no one can argue with.

There are a lot of advertisers and partners who haven't bailed yet. The fact that they are still getting reactions shows people do still care at least enough to watch/follow the team and be mad. For now. That's not going to last much longer. The brand is damaged but not beyond recovery. This could do it. Not wanting to pay for tickets is one thing, not paying attention or caring at all is another. That's how sports franchises die or move.

Here's hoping the Pegulas sell the team (they probably won't).

I dont think they will sell. I think their finances took a big hit when the cost of energy dropped. I dont know what happened with ror. That mess should have predated any financial problems, and they basically signed off on the worst trade in franchise history to avoid paying a 7 million bonus. When i say their pr cant be any worse, im referring to nhl circles, this is not a place you wanna go to. As far as fans and advertisors go, sure, they could lose more. You are right about apathy, that would be bottom for fans.
deleted_x_213212 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: sabres89
I dont think they will sell. I think their finances took a big hit when the cost of energy dropped. I dont know what happened with ror. That mess should have predated any financial problems, and they basically signed off on the worst trade in franchise history to avoid paying a 7 million bonus. When i say their pr cant be any worse, im referring to nhl circles, this is not a place you wanna go to. As far as fans and advertisors go, sure, they could lose more. You are right about apathy, that would be bottom for fans.

Sorry, misunderstood. In hockey circles, yeah. Firing Botterill and purging the department was rough. No wonder they have to promote internally. ROR was either financial (the Sabres have been struggling for a while financially even when the Pegula's other lines of business were doing fine) or one of those rich guy bully temper tantrums (ROR hurt Terry and Kim's feelings so they couldn't stomach handing him a big chunk of money to maximize the hockey aspect). Only two possibilities I've come up with. Either way, bad for business. More dark days to come in Sabreland.
sabres89 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll