$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,375,000$1,375,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
No thanks, I would way rather trade Laine at this point
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:05 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: bunzy1034
No thanks, I would way rather trade Laine at this point

They aren’t losing both. Laine seems to have one foot out the door already.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: Jamiepo
They aren’t losing both. Laine seems to have one foot out the door already.

Yeah and ehlers is the better player anyways
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Good offer for Ehlers
Ryan > AA IMO
Move Dube on the 3rd line
Ryan on the 4th
You need a better 3rd pairing ( Kylington is fine )
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:09 p.m.
The Jets aren't moving Ehlers for that.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:12 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
The Jets aren't moving Ehlers for that.

i bet they would.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: GMs
Good offer for Ehlers
Ryan > AA IMO
Move Dube on the 3rd line
Ryan on the 4th
You need a better 3rd pairing ( Kylington is fine )

This right here is basically the entire reason Hanifin won't be moved. You can't just gut your d-core for the sake of doing so. Depending on how Valimaki does this year Flames could potentially have one of the best d-core's in the league, but that also can go the opposite way if Gio continues to regress. I expect Tanev and Gio to mentor Ras and Hanifin for the first half of this year then give the 2 young guys the first pair in the 2nd half
GMs and Lunatik liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:22 p.m.
Quoting: Canadianape
i bet they would.

Good ahead and keep dreaming. The Jets aren't moving a first line winger they need for a second pairing LD they don't need.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
This right here is basically the entire reason Hanifin won't be moved. You can't just gut your d-core for the sake of doing so. Depending on how Valimaki does this year Flames could potentially have one of the best d-core's in the league, but that also can go the opposite way if Gio continues to regress. I expect Tanev and Gio to mentor Ras and Hanifin for the first half of this year then give the 2 young guys the first pair in the 2nd half

The elite defense strategy isnt working. Flames have been trying that route for the last 6 years. Ehlers makes our top 6 incredibly deadly. Valimaki will replace hanifin easily. The bottom pairing is weak but its not unusable. flames could also sign a cheap veteran to replace Niku and that would shore up that line aswell. Flames are not going to contend if they dont improve their offense and so far they havent
GMs liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:28 p.m.
It's moot. Neither of these teams are trading significant, impactful players to a rival, especially one that will in all likelihood as well as widely speculated & reported to be in the same division next year. especially when each team has playoff aspirations, as ridiculous as that may be.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
The elite defense strategy isnt working. Flames have been trying that route for the last 6 years. Ehlers makes our top 6 incredibly deadly. Valimaki will replace hanifin easily. The bottom pairing is weak but its not unusable. flames could also sign a cheap veteran to replace Niku and that would shore up that line aswell. Flames are not going to contend if they dont improve their offense and so far they havent

Its not about pur defense being elite. Its about "what if Valimaki who hasnt played at tue NHL level in over a year cant step into a top 4 role right away or gets hurt?" Then our defense is awful. Its much safer keep Hanifin as he is reliable and still very young.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: Different_Perspective_85
It's moot. Neither of these teams are trading significant, impactful players to a rival, especially one that will in all likelihood as well as widely speculated & reported to be in the same division next year. especially when each team has playoff aspirations, as ridiculous as that may be.

they are not in the same division, an all Canadian league for this coming season is a one off situation both these players are signed for atleast the next 4 seasons. Inter confernece trades of big players happen all the time especially when its a fair trade. both teams improve in areas that they lack with this trade
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Its not about pur defense being elite. Its about "what if Valimaki who hasnt played at tue NHL level in over a year cant step into a top 4 role right away or gets hurt?" Then our defense is awful. Its much safer keep Hanifin as he is reliable and still very young.

@Ledge_And_Dairy dude your common comment that I've seen from you on this site is to not do anything or take any risk. you seem to stick with the status quo on literally every PROPOSED trade. The team that the flames are putting on the ice today are not contenders. this has been proven year to year. they need to improve their offence to actually contend as the current group cant get it done. to improve offense it will require a sacrifice in other areas of the team. we cant change what has been done (ie signing Tanev to too much money) so we have to propose other options. im not arguing that Hanifin isnt the better option defensively what im saying is that they need to improve their offence and replacing hanifin with valimaki or some of our other young D is the least damaging(but realistic way to do that. if i had it my way i would get rid of Lucic's contract to pick up a top 6 winger such as hoffman but we all know that isnt a realistic option
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:51 p.m.
A one off eh? Considering there are organizations in the league who seriously doubt there WILL be a season next year, let alone what the future holds, I think your foresight is probably as limited, if not more so, as the millionaire & billionaire business owners out there that have no idea what impact COVID will continue to have. I see you're point, however to be honest, I have no idea how you can be so certain.

That aside, inter conference trades happen all the time... sure. But when was the last trades between these two clubs? I'd say it's even more rare than trades between EDM/VAN & CGY. You may be right. I'm definitely wrong all the time. I just think they find more natural fits, and accomplish the improvements you mentioned, in ways that are more consistent with what they are trying to achieve right now. Not too mention, considering the long term outlook of this club beyond 2 seasons from now, I don't think giving up 1st rounders is a particularly good idea. I love Ehlers, I just don't see it happening. It goes against everything both teams' GM's historical behavior.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 7:51 p.m.
@Ledge_And_Dairy dude your common comment that I've seen from you on this site is to not do anything or take any risk. you seem to stick with the status quo on literally every PROPOSED trade. The team that the flames are putting on the ice today are not contenders. this has been proven year to year. they need to improve their offence to actually contend as the current group cant get it done. to improve offense it will require a sacrifice in other areas of the team. we cant change what has been done (ie signing Tanev to too much money) so we have to propose other options. im not arguing that Hanifin isnt the better option defensively what im saying is that they need to improve their offence and replacing hanifin with valimaki or some of our other young D is the least damaging(but realistic way to do that. if i had it my way i would get rid of Lucic's contract to pick up a top 6 winger such as hoffman but we all know that isnt a realistic option

Did you complete miss the part this offseason where we added an arguably top 5 goalie in the league and Nik Hjalmarsson 2.0? We've already done a lot and we dont exactly have a lot of cap space to do much more. The only real move we can make right now without moving a vital piece is Ryan.

Literally in the last 3 days ive made 2 ACGM's where I acquired a legitimate top 6 right handed shot winger, 1 with Gallagher before the signing, and 1 with Rakell. Either would uave been a fantastic upgrade to the top 6. How exactly is that "sticking to the status quo?"
Oct. 17, 2020 at 8:10 p.m.
Did you complete miss the part this offseason where we added an arguably top 5 goalie in the league and Nik Hjalmarsson 2.0? We've already done a lot and we dont exactly have a lot of cap space to do much more. The only real move we can make right now without moving a vital piece is Ryan.

Literally in the last 3 days ive made 2 ACGM's where I acquired a legitimate top 6 right handed shot winger, 1 with Gallagher before the signing, and 1 with Rakell. Either would uave been a fantastic upgrade to the top 6. How exactly is that "sticking to the status quo?"

I was talking about your comments on other ACGMs. I agree we improved the goaltending position but I would argue we are worse offensively losing some of the depth forwards like janko and reider and so far not replacing them with anyone proven (offence at the very least is the same) and I would say we downgraded at the defensive position. brodie is better than tanev and we completely lost gustavsson and hamonic without replacing them. This team has not improved from last season in any way other than goalie which is the least impactful position in the modern NHL team. The flames have struggled with filling the top 6 RW role for years and the above is one way to improve that.

Your Gallagher trade made no sense and was based on the idea that Montreal held no value left with him because he wasnt going to sign with them. Severely undervalued him in that trade montreal gains a 1st and loses a third for gallagher would never happen . This trade also hinged on Colorado taking ryan for Jost and a 3rd which is an unrealistic trade aswell. Ryan is barely worth the 3rd by himself

You didnt propose a trade for Rakell you just made a random ask for what his price would be. also in this ACGM you had Mangiapane signing for 1.9 whcih is abolut 1million short of what he was projected to sign at and we ended up signing him at 2.425 which is pretty good for his value

finally it seems to me that you have not been reading what ive been writing. I am interested in moving a Vital piece on Defense inorder to acquire a Vital Piece on offence.

Why do you think so many people were calling for gaudreau and monahans heads after the last season? its because the fans can see that this core doesnt have what it takes to win. So if management is gonna stick with this core they have to shake up some of the outliers like a 2nd pairing defenseman to try and improve the weaknesses that are apparent in the team and top 6 RW is a glaring weakness
Oct. 17, 2020 at 8:50 p.m.
I was talking about your comments on other ACGMs. I agree we improved the goaltending position but I would argue we are worse offensively losing some of the depth forwards like janko and reider and so far not replacing them with anyone proven (offence at the very least is the same) and I would say we downgraded at the defensive position. brodie is better than tanev and we completely lost gustavsson and hamonic without replacing them. This team has not improved from last season in any way other than goalie which is the least impactful position in the modern NHL team. The flames have struggled with filling the top 6 RW role for years and the above is one way to improve that.

Your Gallagher trade made no sense and was based on the idea that Montreal held no value left with him because he wasnt going to sign with them. Severely undervalued him in that trade montreal gains a 1st and loses a third for gallagher would never happen . This trade also hinged on Colorado taking ryan for Jost and a 3rd which is an unrealistic trade aswell. Ryan is barely worth the 3rd by himself

You didnt propose a trade for Rakell you just made a random ask for what his price would be. also in this ACGM you had Mangiapane signing for 1.9 whcih is abolut 1million short of what he was projected to sign at and we ended up signing him at 2.425 which is pretty good for his value

finally it seems to me that you have not been reading what ive been writing. I am interested in moving a Vital piece on Defense inorder to acquire a Vital Piece on offence.

Why do you think so many people were calling for gaudreau and monahans heads after the last season? its because the fans can see that this core doesnt have what it takes to win. So if management is gonna stick with this core they have to shake up some of the outliers like a 2nd pairing defenseman to try and improve the weaknesses that are apparent in the team and top 6 RW is a glaring weakness

Toby I will definitely miss (but I do hopefully get to see him play live in Buffalo now with Hall). End of the day though there are similar players to him still on the market, Grabner for example. Just about anyone can replace the offensive black hole that Jankowski was, no issue loosing him there.

Yeah Brodie sucks to loose but I doubt he was coming back TBH even if we offered the same deal (which I think Tre did). Nevertheless Andersson has taken massive strides forward the last 2 years and at multiple occasions pushed Brodie down the lineup. Gus is whatever, that was a deadline rental and Valimaki should replace him, If we really want to we might be able to get Vatanen for super cheap the longer he goes without signing. He is a very similar player and also a right shot. This might also give Kylington a chance on the PP as he that is his biggest strength as a defenseman. Tanev was a replacement and clear upgrade on Hamonic (who still may sign for cheap since he wants to stay in western Canada.

You're critiquing my trade ideas and not the fact that I did indeed look at potential upgrades. Completely missed the point there. (As for the Rakell post I made an offer in the comment section if you bothered to look)

You wanting to move a vital piece on defense for a vital piece of forward is where we have conflicting views. That is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion.

The people actually calling for their heads aren't some majority of the fan base you make it out to be. People who complain will always be louder than the ones who don't so that skews the numbers.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
@Ledge_And_Dairy I don't know why that dude has been coming at you, but you've been right in every aspect so far in this thread and from what I've seen you are clearly most intelligent and rational regular Flames poster.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
Quoting: MethodMan
@Ledge_And_Dairy I don't know why that dude has been coming at you, but you've been right in every aspect so far in this thread and from what I've seen you are clearly most intelligent and rational regular Flames poster.

incorrect
Oct. 17, 2020 at 9:53 p.m.
I don't know why that dude has been coming at you, but you've been right in every aspect so far in this thread and from what I've seen you are clearly most intelligent and rational regular Flames poster.

Pretty sure he just has zero trust in Mangiapane unlike me. Sure I would love to have enough depth that would allow us to run Bread Man on the 3rd line with Bennett and Dube but without moving a very important piece like Hanifin (who we should not move) that's just not that realistic. I get that this whole thing is for fun so people do crazy things on here but there has to be some amount of realism and foresight to trades, especially with the expansion coming up.

It's also hilarious to me how many people both overrate and underrate the way a player holds their stick. Like here and some other threads you will see posts where we acquire a left handed winger like Ehlers or Hoffman, then move Lindholm to center. That simply cannot be an option. It is very important to have some variation in your wingers of handedness.
On the other hand you have say "Leafs fans" for example who think that every single one of their defense on the right side needs to shoot right.
In reality it is somewhere in between and you need a good mix of both righty's and lefties.

Bit of a rant and not all of it is related to this thread so sorry about that
Lunatik liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 10:11 p.m.
Pretty sure he just has zero trust in Mangiapane unlike me. Sure I would love to have enough depth that would allow us to run Bread Man on the 3rd line with Bennett and Dube but without moving a very important piece like Hanifin (who we should not move) that's just not that realistic. I get that this whole thing is for fun so people do crazy things on here but there has to be some amount of realism and foresight to trades, especially with the expansion coming up.
Agreed completely and personally it's really not that fun to me if they are ridiculous and impossible. I like the challenge of something realistic and fair to both teams.

Personally I don't have a ton trust in Mangiapne either, but I understand he is the best and most realistic option. I feel the only way to move him down is Hoffman, Kovalchuk, Duclair or Granlund, all of which mean moving Ryan, which in turn means adding a good PKer too. I also think I'd be more willing to move Bennett than Ryan, one less body to protect from expansion and his value has probably never been higher; I also really don't like him as a C.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Oct. 18, 2020 at 7:05 p.m.
Agreed completely and personally it's really not that fun to me if they are ridiculous and impossible. I like the challenge of something realistic and fair to both teams.

Personally I don't have a ton trust in Mangiapne either, but I understand he is the best and most realistic option. I feel the only way to move him down is Hoffman, Kovalchuk, Duclair or Granlund, all of which mean moving Ryan, which in turn means adding a good PKer too. I also think I'd be more willing to move Bennett than Ryan, one less body to protect from expansion and his value has probably never been higher; I also really don't like him as a C.

my entire point is none of the above is unrealistic. its a trade that benefits both teams and is atleast close to value. Mangiapane is a good depth piece but he isnt a game changer like many of the people who are proposing to pick up guys like ehlers, hofffman, and other guys like that to play that top 6 RW role

It's also hilarious to me how many people both overrate and underrate the way a player holds their stick. Like here and some other threads you will see posts where we acquire a left handed winger like Ehlers or Hoffman, then move Lindholm to center. That simply cannot be an option. It is very important to have some variation in your wingers of handedness.
On the other hand you have say "Leafs fans" for example who think that every single one of their defense on the right side needs to shoot right.
In reality it is somewhere in between and you need a good mix of both righty's and lefties.

Bit of a rant and not all of it is related to this thread so sorry about that

handedness is a thing to consider but it is pretty far down the ladder in terms of wether or not you aim to acquire a player. this team is better with players like hoffman or ehlers regardless of their handedness. Mangiapane could step into a the role of a top 6 winger but right now he is not that. to reiterate my point of this entire thread. the flames will not contend with the current offensive lines. it has been proven year after year. will mangiapane/dube/bennett take a step forward this year? probably, but that wont be enough to make this team win in the playoffs. adding proven point producers to help round out the top lines and take some pressure off of Johnny gaudreau who has proven himself to crack under pressure is what the majority of the flames fans on this site are interested in doing because they know that is what needs to happen for the flames to take the next step. I don't want to trade hanifin either but i would if it meant bringing in another player that would could drastically improve the offense. ehlers is a dynamic perennial 60 point player who can be the difference maker in important games. Hanifin is not.
Oct. 18, 2020 at 7:42 p.m.
my entire point is none of the above is unrealistic. its a trade that benefits both teams and is atleast close to value. Mangiapane is a good depth piece but he isnt a game changer like many of the people who are proposing to pick up guys like ehlers, hofffman, and other guys like that to play that top 6 RW role
I don't give two ****s what point you are trying to make, because your idea is nothing short of bad.

The package of a 23 year old top 4 defenseman, 24 year old physical 3rd liner, a 1st and a 2nd should get you more than a 55-65 point winger and a 24 year old defenseman with potential but isn't even a full-time NHLer. Hell that is more of a Gaudreau-esque package.

On top of the trade value being complete garbage, it also opens up a gaping ****ing hole on our defense because it means relying on a guy with 24 career games and hasn't played a minute in the NHL in well over 18 months to jump immediately in the top 4, just so we can improve our 2nd line RW spot by about 30 points? Not a chance.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll