SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Minnesota Wild signed Marco Rossi (3 Years / $1,713,333 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: DongLord23
You just named a bunch of wingers. Rossi doesn't have the speed other great short guys have. He's a meatball with legs.

A kid like that doesn’t make it this far with any fat on his body. Rossi is a ball of muscle
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
Quoting: HabsFan9
A kid like that doesn’t make it this far with any fat on his body. Rossi is a ball of muscle

He has 185lbs on a 5'9 body and he moves like it. Lacked top end speed in juniors and scouts made note of it. He's not gonna be playing with kids anymore.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:57 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
So once again, you cant name one.

very close in height to brayden point

imagine pissing your pants over the heights of hockey players. didn't your team employ nathan gerbe for 5 years
Oct. 24, 2020 at 6:17 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
He has 185lbs on a 5'9 body and he moves like it. Lacked top end speed in juniors and scouts made note of it. He's not gonna be playing with kids anymore.

You just went from ‘he’s a meatball with legs’ to ‘he’s not very fast’. And you’d be right. His strength isn’t speed, it’s scoring. And because of this muscle he put on, he can play physically too. Not all players need speed.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 6:30 a.m.
Minnesota Wild
Too short and too fat

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEMhkaOJ4-r/

https://twitter.com/CavadaHockey/status/1313373683772162048/photo/1

Yup, this guys is fat and not totally jacked...
Remus, Norm31 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
name me 1 5'9 1C.

Michael Cammalieri
Ted Lindsay (he of the award) (I believe actually 5'8)
David Keon (the best leaf of the 20th century)

Brayden Point and Steve Yzerman are 5'10 (ooh a whole inch)
Sidney Crosby and many many more are 5'11
Remus and Norm31 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
PLZ FIRE BERGEVIN
name me 1 5'9 1C.

bruh size doesn't matter. Rossi makes up with it for his above average speed, his skillset, his great all around game, and his very very very strong legs. However that doesn't answer your question so here it is: Brayden Point. Point is undersized as well and is a top 10 centre. However I think Rossi is more projectable as a winger compared to a centre rn bc of his size it ain't like he will grow either but if he can get even faster I think he can be a good 1C just like Point. However size is starting to not matter anymore in the NHL as a whole either so even if Rossi can't be a centre he would be a good winger like per say Marchand.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
PLZ FIRE BERGEVIN

I agree with that. He needs to be faster however, he is strong enough to fight off checks with his strong lower body. I think the teams that passed on him except the Kings and maybe the Rangers will regret it in the long run
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Norm31
bruh size doesn't matter. Rossi makes up with it for his above average speed, his skillset, his great all around game, and his very very very strong legs. However that doesn't answer your question so here it is: Brayden Point. Point is undersized as well and is a top 10 centre. However I think Rossi is more projectable as a winger compared to a centre rn bc of his size it ain't like he will grow either but if he can get even faster I think he can be a good 1C just like Point. However size is starting to not matter anymore in the NHL as a whole either so even if Rossi can't be a centre he would be a good winger like per say Marchand.

point isn't 5'9

And what you fail to get is, there are players just as fast at 6 foot, who can actually win puck battles and have leverage to win a faceoff.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BCAPP
Michael Cammalieri
Ted Lindsay (he of the award) (I believe actually 5'8)
David Keon (the best leaf of the 20th century)

Brayden Point and Steve Yzerman are 5'10 (ooh a whole inch)
Sidney Crosby and many many more are 5'11

Michael Cammalierithat's what you are going with. I mean really was he even a 1C? He had 80 points like 2x his whole career. Most of which were 50 points and vastly under.
David Keon .... really?

So we are really at Lindsay .... who played in a totally different time when players were much smaller.

So we are at basically 0 here.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
Banned
you’re not fooling anyone with this bull****. Brayden Point just won the Cup with the Bolts, and you still have the nerve to point to size as a downside.
My favourite player is Brendan Gallagher. He is 5’9. He is tough as nails. You can routinely see him in front of the net being cross checked by Zdeno Chara and yet he stays. And he’s scored 30 goals the last couple seasons
Martin St. Louis is another favourite of mine. He’s 5’8. And he won the Art Ross Trophy.
Ever heard of Alex DeBrincat? He scored 40 goals two seasons ago. How tall is he? 5’7
Brad Marchand. 5’9. Scored 100 points two seasons ago
Need I go on?

If you want to argue about this, I’ll win every time.

wow way to name some wingers.

Like I said. 1C. 5'9
not a one.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
Brayden Point is likely a #1C on MIN. Crosby is also only 2" taller....so thats not a huge difference.

The 2" taller thing does make a huge difference.
Lets be honest about why too.
Crosby is actually a real 5'11.
They tried to say Hughes was 5'11 too. But they have photos of Hughes standing next to Crosby......he ain't 5'11.
He might be 5'9 by the look of it.... Rossi...is he actually 5'9.... How many inches did they give him?
And either way, we are still are at the point that every names someone taller and says....it doesn't make that bit of a difference. Well Maybe if the only people he was seeing on the Dot and ice was 5'11 it wouldn't. But they aren't. Most guys he'll face are like 6'1 to 6'2... So givng up 4-5" is a much greater difference. Than giving up 2-3".

It's not about comparing the small center to other small centers. It's about the realization that there really is a point where you are giving up too much size.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
torontos finest
The 2" taller thing does make a huge difference.
Lets be honest about why too.
Crosby is actually a real 5'11.
They tried to say Hughes was 5'11 too. But they have photos of Hughes standing next to Crosby......he ain't 5'11.
He might be 5'9 by the look of it.... Rossi...is he actually 5'9.... How many inches did they give him?
And either way, we are still are at the point that every names someone taller and says....it doesn't make that bit of a difference. Well Maybe if the only people he was seeing on the Dot and ice was 5'11 it wouldn't. But they aren't. Most guys he'll face are like 6'1 to 6'2... So givng up 4-5" is a much greater difference. Than giving up 2-3".

It's not about comparing the small center to other small centers. It's about the realization that there really is a point where you are giving up too much size.

Imagine having this much of an aneurysm because someone said he's a future 1C.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
PLZ FIRE BERGEVIN
point isn't 5'9

And what you fail to get is, there are players just as fast at 6 foot, who can actually win puck battles and have leverage to win a faceoff.

I agree with that. I am also aware of that. However that was literally the same case with Point....
Oct. 24, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.

He's slow compared to other players. It's gonna hold him back at the next level. Sorry man that's the truth.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
You just went from ‘he’s a meatball with legs’ to ‘he’s not very fast’. And you’d be right. His strength isn’t speed, it’s scoring. And because of this muscle he put on, he can play physically too. Not all players need speed.

If you're short you need speed. He's not gonna outmuscle guys like he did in juniors.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:17 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
He's slow compared to other players. It's gonna hold him back at the next level. Sorry man that's the truth.

that’s why he fell to ninth. Speed was the same thing holding Point back when he was in junior, and he ironed it out within three years. This will end up looking like a steal when Rossi is this fast, strong beast for the Wild
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
wow way to name some wingers.

Like I said. 1C. 5'9
not a one.

You may be right. The past ten years, thee haven’t been many 5’9 1Cs. But you cannot argue that’s the trend is favouring undersized forwards more and more. So let’s not jump to conclusions about height so quickly, because the NHL can change just as fast
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:49 p.m.
Banned
You may be right. The past ten years, thee haven’t been many 5’9 1Cs. But you cannot argue that’s the trend is favouring undersized forwards more and more. So let’s not jump to conclusions about height so quickly, because the NHL can change just as fast

I would argue the exact opposite.
There is a trend in sports. It happens over and over and over again.
Players get faster...they tend to be smaller.....Then larger players catch up on speed and that is what you see. Hence, athletes over time have become Larger and Faster.
This is true in every sport till it hits a peek where physiologically it's not really possible.
And the reality is, Guys who are 6' can be just as fast as guys who are 5'9. Which is why guys who are 5'9 get squeezed out.
Hockey is the rare backwards pro sport where it's just now happening. Mainly because the game was so much older and slower. So when the pace picked up, what you saw was an influx of fast, small players. But that will again balance out to larger faster players.

That larger faster player part...is happening right now.
Teams are moving away from smaller players and looking for larger players with speed.
Eventually we will get to sports like the NFL. Where guys are roughly 6' to 6'4 and 200 -220lbs moving really really fast. Much like Corner backs, WR, Linebackers, Safety.....etc.... in the NFL. Hockey is no different. Unless there is an advantage for being smaller...aka runningback...Don't expect to see many guys in the 5'9 range in the future. They will be weeded out.
That's coming we just aren't there yet as teams have just recently started playing with increased speed the last few years. But it's coming. It just takes time for them to get there. But all sports do.
Remus liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
Imagine having this much of an aneurysm because someone said he's a future 1C.

imagine being this much of a troll with nothing to say.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 8:17 p.m.
that’s why he fell to ninth. Speed was the same thing holding Point back when he was in junior, and he ironed it out within three years. This will end up looking like a steal when Rossi is this fast, strong beast for the Wild

Speed wasn't holding Point back. He was pretty fast in juniors and is also 20 pounds lighter than Rossi.

Rossi has already maxed out his frame. He is what he is physically at this point. He's not getting any faster.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Speed wasn't holding Point back. He was pretty fast in juniors and is also 20 pounds lighter than Rossi.

Rossi has already maxed out his frame. He is what he is physically at this point. He's not getting any faster.

Speed is why Point fell in the draft. He then got together with a real good skating coach and made it a strength.

Physicality is a weakness for Point, but it isn’t for Rossi since he’s so strong. So Rossi won’t get as many points as Point but he’ll make much more of a physical impact
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
Yet you can't name one

Tyler Ennis, Yanni Gourde, Jonathan Marchessault
Oct. 27, 2020 at 2:36 a.m.
Minnesota Wild
Speed is why Point fell in the draft. He then got together with a real good skating coach and made it a strength.

Physicality is a weakness for Point, but it isn’t for Rossi since he’s so strong. So Rossi won’t get as many points as Point but he’ll make much more of a physical impact

We also have very good skating coaches in Andy and Diane Ness. Any work he needs to do on his skating should be something they can easily take care of. The kid's obviously got the work ethic to make the changes and improve his skating, it'll just take a little time for them to work with him.
Remus liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit