Forums/Armchair-GM

F-It We will take him

Created by: HockeyTownUSA69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 6, 2020
Published: Nov. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It doesn’t seem like the Islanders are big fans of Ho-Sang. The Pens will take him off your hands!!

And I tried to find a way to take Brent Burns or Drew Doughty instead of Trouba or Shea Weber but they just make way too much money.

It was either gonna be McCann/Pettersson, 2nd round pick to Montreal for Shea Weber or McCann/Pettersson, 2nd round pick to NYR for J.Trouba. Either one works.

IMO, NYR have a better chance of having 24 year old McCann and 24 year old Pettersson in their window for competing than Montreal. Rangers trade Branden Smith too and have Pettersson, Lingren, and K’Andre Miller as LHD and have Fox, DeAngelo, and B.Schnieder or Nils Lundkvist at RHD. You’re welcome!!

Ceci will be fine as our 7-8th D-man too or we can send him to the AHL and trade his expiring deal at the deadline.
Trades
NYI
  1. Björkqvist, Kasper
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (PIT)
NYR
  1. McCann, Jared
  2. Pettersson, Marcus
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,399,167$0$1,062,500$2,100,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
C, LW
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$700,000$700,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 6, 2020 at 6:01 a.m.
mokumboi
First trade is a wild overpay. You could probably get him for a bag of pucks. Second trade is another big mistake.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 6:39 a.m.
LETS go PENS
Quoting: mokumboi
First trade is a wild overpay. You could probably get him for a bag of pucks. Second trade is another big mistake.

I thought Ho-Sang still had some value.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 6:54 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyTownUSA69

Just wait til the season starts. He'll be on Waivers. He's not good. He's probably KHL bound after this season I would think
Nov. 6, 2020 at 7:39 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

He’s already cleared waivers before. If he’s traded it will be for another underachieving player that has cleared waivers.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
J. Toller
Let's be real here. This is definitely something JR will do.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 9:09 a.m.
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Rangers are good with Trouba. Probably why they gave him a NMC.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Rangers accept.
HockeyTownUSA69 liked this.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 10:39 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
WE dont want Ho-Sang
Nov. 6, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
looks about right. Rangers accept.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Edited Nov. 6, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
Quoting: Josh
Rangers are good with Trouba. Probably why they gave him a NMC.

Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Rangers accept.

Trouba is alittle old for NYR window timeline. And you are saving cap room. And Pettersson = Trouba, IMO. Can u imagine your Defense being Lingren/Fox, Pettersson/D’Angelo, and K’Andre Miller/B.Schnieder or Niks Lundkvist. And Pettersson is only 24. So good..You’re welcome!!

And trading Kreider and moving Lafreniere to your 2nd line LW and having A.Lafreniere/Strome/K.Kappo on your 2nd line. A 1st, a 2nd and 5th overall pick..lol. And having McCann/F.Chytil/J.Gauthier on your 3rd line. Again, three 1st round picks. And McCann is only 24.

And you’re getting a 2nd round pick to re-stock your farm system for the future. And getting about 3M in cap room with adding a 24 year old, top 4, two-way LHD, signed long term to a good deal(4M/year for 5 years). And a 3rd line LW, that can also play center. Has a great shot, good scorer, 1st round pedigree, and good on 2nd power play unit, and again, still only 24 years old. For 28 year old Trouba @ 8M/year.it helps both teams though. It helps The Pens and their competing window and NYR timeline too.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
".. And I tried to find a way to take Brent Burns or Drew Doughty instead of Trouba or Shea Weber"

Why take any of them?
Nov. 6, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Quoting: Yojimbo
".. And I tried to find a way to take Brent Burns or Drew Doughty instead of Trouba or Shea Weber"

Why take any of them?

B/C I think Shea Webber, Burns, Doughty are all better than Pettersson right now and probably for the next 2-3 year window we have left too. Obviously I think it helps our team getting a good RHD and bring up P-O-Jospeh to take Pettersson’s place.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Quoting: Missouri
WE dont want Ho-Sang

Quoting: Missouri
WE dont want Ho-Sang

I do, I would take the shot for a 3rd round pick. Everyone said Kessel was an a*s too. And Ho-Sang grew up idolizing Mario. He’s dreamed of playing with the Pens. He wears #66(or used too). The Pens have the best shot of getting the best out of him. He has the talent.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
I do, I would take the shot for a 3rd round pick. Everyone said Kessel was an a*s too. And Ho-Sang grew up idolizing Mario. He’s dreamed of playing with the Pens. He wears #66(or used too). The Pens have the best shot of getting the best out of him. He has the talent.

Yeah it was insulting to see a rookie wear number 66. He changed because penguins fans were going to kill him for it.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
B/C I think Shea Webber, Burns, Doughty are all better than Pettersson right now and probably for the next 2-3 year window we have left too. Obviously I think it helps our team getting a good RHD and bring up P-O-Jospeh to take Pettersson’s place.

I am not a fan of Pettersson at all, but this is a video game move where you can hit "reset" when you realize how messed up your team is after a season.

You're first choice but "too much" guys:
Doughty will be 31 when next season starts, and is $11M for 7 years. He has 15 goals and a -50 combined over the last 2 seasons. He is not a cornerstone, he is an anchor. Hard pass.
Burns is 35 and is $8M until he is 40. Last year she showed his age, and it is going to get worse each year. Hard pass.

Your other options:
Weber is 35 and is $7.9M until he is 40. He has 85 points over the last three injury prone seasons. He will be dumped to a team that need to make the cap floor soon, maybe even this season. Dumped. Hard pass.
Trouba is the only one worth considering, but is over rated. Good puck mover, but that's about the only thing in his tool bag. $4M more than Pettersson ... not worth it.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Edited Nov. 6, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
I am not a fan of Pettersson at all, but this is a video game move where you can hit "reset" when you realize how messed up your team is after a season.

You're first choice but "too much" guys:
Doughty will be 31 when next season starts, and is $11M for 7 years. He has 15 goals and a -50 combined over the last 2 seasons. He is not a cornerstone, he is an anchor. Hard pass.
Burns is 35 and is $8M until he is 40. Last year she showed his age, and it is going to get worse each year. Hard pass.

Your other options:
Weber is 35 and is $7.9M until he is 40. He has 85 points over the last three injury prone seasons. He will be dumped to a team that need to make the cap floor soon, maybe even this season. Dumped. Hard pass.
Trouba is the only one worth considering, but is over rated. Good puck mover, but that's about the only thing in his tool bag. $4M more than Pettersson ... not worth it.

We can disagree then. Doughty’s analytics are still strong. Plus/Minus is a bad stat to judge a defender on a bad team on. Same with Burns. But like I said, both are too expensive. If LAK or SJS retained like 3-4M on either of their contracts I could see them moving them. But without retaining. Yes, Not a lot of teams can afford that for an aging player.

Trouba is a big-body, two-way, RHD, Solid defense, tough and plays with an edge. Him and P-O-Joseph would make a good pairing IMO. And our 3rd pairing being Matheson/Marino is also much-much better. I don’t think we lose on Defense at all. I think we improve. I Think McCann and the 2nd round pick are the loss.

And again, I would like to see us bring Poulin up and make him be ready. Let him play through ups and downs. U need that mix of young and old on championship teams. And definitely need the cheap EL contracts on the young playmakers.

And I think Ho-Sang is worth the risk. And him idolizing Mario growing up and being a huge Pens fans. I think the NYI mis-managed him and the Pens have the best chance of turning him around for those reasons. I actually love the line of Poulin, a power forward, playmaker, and can put the puck in net. With Jankowski, a good two-way, shut-down, defensive center, PK killer, and good passer, with Ho-Sang on the RW as the sharp shooter, with the good shoot, and scoring pedigree. And being able to move Rodrigues to the forth line RW until ZAR gets back and is healthy.

I think it’s a improved team with much more upside. Not a huge fan or 2 new defensive pairings. The reason The Steelers D is so good is cause we replaced just “1” DL, J.Hargrave. Have 10 returning starters. I think this team would make a run in the play-offs this year but their real shot would be next year or the year after. And for expansion draft. We expose Tanev, ZAR, Matheson, Ruthwedel, Riikola, And C.DeSmith . We can hold Blueger as our last forward protection, now that we don’t have to protect McCann. And Ho-Sang and Poulin would be ineligibility to draft.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
We can disagree then. Doughty’s analytics are still strong. Plus/Minus is a bad stat to judge a defender on a bad team on. Same with Burns. But like I said, both are too expensive. If LAK or SJS retained like 3-4M on either of their contracts I could see them moving them. But without retaining. Yes, Not a lot of teams can afford that for an aging player.

Trouba is a big-body, two-way, RHD, Solid defense, tough and plays with an edge. Him and P-O-Joseph would make a good pairing IMO. And our 3rd pairing being Matheson/Marino is also much-much better. I don’t think we lose on Defense at all. I think we improve. I Think McCann and the 2nd round pick are the loss.

And again, I would like to see us bring Poulin up and make him be ready. Let him play through ups and downs. U need that mix of young and old on championship teams. And definitely need the cheap EL contracts on the young playmakers.

And I think Ho-Sang is worth the risk. And him idolizing Mario growing up and being a huge Pens fans. I think the NYI mis-managed him and the Pens have the best chance of turning him around for those reasons. I actually love the line of Poulin, a power forward, playmaker, and can put the puck in net. With Jankowski, a good two-way, shut-down defense center, and good passer, with Ho-Sang on the RW as the sharp shooter, with the good shoot, and scoring pedigree. And being able to move Rodrigues to the forth line RW until ZAR gets back and is healthy.

I may have been a little hard on Trouba, but he is still the price of a true #1, without being a #1.
The other three are non-starters, even at 50%. They are already showing signs of breaking down and not worth it at all.

As a side... comparing a +5 guy to a -5 guy is a bad used of +/-. Being -50 is a statement. Especially when you (and your contract) are one of the main reasons for the team not being good.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 4:41 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Edited Nov. 6, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
I
I may have been a little hard on Trouba, but he is still the price of a true #1, without being a #1.
The other three are non-starters, even at 50%. They are already showing signs of breaking down and not worth it at all.

As a side... comparing a +5 guy to a -5 guy is a bad used of +/-. Being -50 is a statement. Especially when you (and your contract) are one of the main reasons for the team not being good.

Lol. Non-starters. You do know a professional athletes prime years are 24-32. After 32 number decrease 10% and then after 35 they go off a cliff. But those numbers are growing now with the players nutrition, recovery, training, and medicine experientially getting better. I think a pro athletes peak physical age is like 25 or 26. But peak and prime are obviously different, peak is one age that you are at your highest level at, like the peak of a mountain. But a players prime years are the average of his stats staying with-in a certain % of his peak. Like I said, 24-32 years old.

You want to know NHL network top 20 D-men rankings they just voted on Nov, 5th. I cant copy and paste the pictures but u can google it too. It’s;

V.Hedman, Josi, J.Carlson, A.Pietrangelo, S.Jones, C.Makar, D.Hamilton, K.Letang, C.McAvoy, M.Heiskanen, Q.Hughes, Z.Werenski, B.Burns, S.Theodore, D.Doughtry, S.Weber, J.Slavin, E.Karlsson, R.Ellis, M.Rielly.

All 3 players, Burns, Doughtry, and Weber all top 20 D for next year in NHL networks mind. But not starting caliber in yours..lol.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-network-names-kris-letang-pittsburgh-penguins-top-10-defenseman/

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1323052202433400834/photo/1
Nov. 6, 2020 at 5:21 p.m.
Lol. Non-starters. You do know a professional athletes prime years are 24-32. After 32 number decrease 10% and then after 35 they go off a cliff.

Thank you for proving my point, and destroying your own.

Two of the three are 35, and have 5 and 6 seasons left on their contracts. So you just completely blew those two out of the water yourself.

The third will be 31 when the season starts and has $11Mx7 left. Seven.

You cut your own legs out. Thanks.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Thank you for proving my point, and destroying your own.

Two of the three are 35, and have 5 and 6 seasons left on their contracts. So you just completely blew those two out of the water yourself.

The third will be 31 when the season starts and has $11Mx7 left. Seven.

You cut your own legs out. Thanks.

Yes, not their prime numbers after 35. Supposedly not a huge decrease in stats until after 35. But that’s not an end-all-be-all, my man. It’s not like set in stone dude. Burns and Weber at 34 years old last year were both top Two-way D-man in the league. Look at their analytics. And both top Scoring D still too. They were both still very good last year. Again, top 20 in NHL at 34 years old. But not starters..lol.

And Just top 20 D-man in the NHL next year too according to NHL network. A 10%-20% decrease in Burns(HOF) and Weber(Boarderline HOF) and Doughtry(HOF and still putting up prime numbers just turned 31) is still top defenders in the NHL!! But they won’t start over Ceci or Pettersson..lol..ok?? Still .5 points a game as a defender for Doughtry. 35 points in 67 games. Letang is 2 years older. I guess Letang isn’t a starter anymore either at 33. I agree with the money and term, I said it from the beginning. Both Burns and Doughtry make too much money. But doesn’t mean they still don’t have value. Definitely all 3 will be top 25 D next year. I’ll put $100 in escrow and you do the same. I’ll happily bet Doughtry, Weber and Burns are all 3 top 25 D next year. But somehow not even starters according to u?? Lol.
Nov. 6, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
Yes, not their prime numbers after 35. Supposedly not a huge decrease in stats until after 35. But that’s not an end-all-be-all, my man. It’s not like set in stone dude. Burns and Weber at 34 years old last year were both top Two-way D-man in the league. Look at their analytics. And both top Scoring D still too. They were both still very good last year. Again, top 20 in NHL at 34 years old. But not starters..lol.

And Just top 20 D-man in the NHL next year too according to NHL network. A 10%-20% decrease in Burns(HOF) and Weber(Boarderline HOF) and Doughtry(HOF and still putting up prime numbers just turned 31) is still top defenders in the NHL!! But they won’t start over Ceci or Pettersson..lol..ok?? Still .5 points a game as a defender for Doughtry. 35 points in 67 games. Letang is 2 years older. I guess Letang isn’t a starter anymore either at 33. I agree with the money and term, I said it from the beginning. Both Burns and Doughtry make too much money. But doesn’t mean they still don’t have value. Definitely all 3 will be top 25 D next year. I’ll put $100 in escrow and you do the same. I’ll happily bet Doughtry, Weber and Burns are all 3 top 25 D next year. But somehow not even starters according to u?? Lol.

I said "non-starters" not "not starters"... my man.

Do you know the difference? Money is on "no". Literally each post you post in here makes look worse. First you undermine your own argument better than I did. Then you show that you don't understand what other people are even saying.

Not starters... they are 20 minute guys, but you think that I said that they aren't going to make a roster. You might have won the interwebz with that one.

I said "The other three are non-starters, even at 50%. They are already showing signs of breaking down and not worth it at all." Keys would be "even at 50%" and "not worth it at all." That means that acquiring them is a non-starter. Burns and Weber are already 35 years old and under contract for 5/6 more seasons. They are already starting to falter and even YOU SAID "and then after 35 they go off a cliff." Even at 50%, $4M, they are on the wrong side of 35 and already showing too many cracks to give $4M for another 5/6 years. Acquiring them is a non-starter. Doughty is 31, but even at 50% he is $5.5Mx7. SEVEN more years. This goes back to my very first sentence in my first response to this AGM, "...this is a video game move where you can hit "reset" when you realize how messed up your team is after a season." That means, let me explain it since you don't seem to do real well with that, that means that even if he is good for a couple years... you still them have 5 more years of that contract. In a video game you don't have to consider a few years out as you reset by then. In reality you need to consider that 7 years of term.

Those three are non-starters.

(Maybe don't dig deeper)
Nov. 7, 2020 at 7:41 a.m.
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Trouba is alittle old for NYR window timeline. And you are saving cap room. And Pettersson = Trouba, IMO. Can u imagine your Defense being Lingren/Fox, Pettersson/D’Angelo, and K’Andre Miller/B.Schnieder or Niks Lundkvist. And Pettersson is only 24. So good..You’re welcome!!

And trading Kreider and moving Lafreniere to your 2nd line LW and having A.Lafreniere/Strome/K.Kappo on your 2nd line. A 1st, a 2nd and 5th overall pick..lol. And having McCann/F.Chytil/J.Gauthier on your 3rd line. Again, three 1st round picks. And McCann is only 24.

And you’re getting a 2nd round pick to re-stock your farm system for the future. And getting about 3M in cap room with adding a 24 year old, top 4, two-way LHD, signed long term to a good deal(4M/year for 5 years). And a 3rd line LW, that can also play center. Has a great shot, good scorer, 1st round pedigree, and good on 2nd power play unit, and again, still only 24 years old. For 28 year old Trouba @ 8M/year.it helps both teams though. It helps The Pens and their competing window and NYR timeline too.

No. Trouba is younger than Zibanejad and Panarin. The rangers don’t have a “window”.

You’re caught in a bad internet trend where everyone is trying to fast-forward the rangers, getting rid of necessary pieces to try to add better, younger prospects from other teams. They don’t need prospects, they don’t need to get younger. They need players to fill specific roles. Right now, those guys are Kreider and Trouba. That won’t change until younger, cheaper, BETTER plays can fill those roles.
There are absolutely no thoughts do trading those 2 unless it’s a massive upgrade to the team. This isn’t it.

Additionally, the Rangers are set with LHD “in their window”. Lindgren, Hayek, Rykov, Miller, Robertson, Reunanen, Jones.

If they wanted a D they would have acquired one other than Jack Johnson.
Nov. 7, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Quoting: Josh
No. Trouba is younger than Zibanejad and Panarin. The rangers don’t have a “window”.

You’re caught in a bad internet trend where everyone is trying to fast-forward the rangers, getting rid of necessary pieces to try to add better, younger prospects from other teams. They don’t need prospects, they don’t need to get younger. They need players to fill specific roles. Right now, those guys are Kreider and Trouba. That won’t change until younger, cheaper, BETTER plays can fill those roles.
There are absolutely no thoughts do trading those 2 unless it’s a massive upgrade to the team. This isn’t it.

Additionally, the Rangers are set with LHD “in their window”. Lindgren, Hayek, Rykov, Miller, Robertson, Reunanen, Jones.

If they wanted a D they would have acquired one other than Jack Johnson.

Good luck man!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll