Forums/Armchair-GM

Ideas With our 1st rounder

Created by: Pulju13
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2021
Published: Feb. 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
sort of weird but its a weak draft and screw it.
Trades
EDM
  1. Kuemper, Darcy
Additional Details:
We need a goalie and need it bad
ARI
  1. Broberg, Philip
  2. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2021 1st round pick (NSH)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Could be a trade down scenario, if we are in the top 10 we could trade the pick for a late 20s pick (27-29) and a 2nd and hope that Cossa, and one of Fyodor Svechkov or William Stromgren fall to us with the 2nd. If they don't fall we could move it in another dealfor maybe a depth scorer or maybe even a back up until Cossa or Konovalov are ready.
NSH
    2021 1st round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$81,500,000$82,923,198$341,534$837,500-$1,423,198
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $975,000$975,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $2,150,000$2,150,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,175,000$1,175,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $915,000$915,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $784,166$784,166 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $745,000$745,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 9:05 a.m.
    exo2769
    Goalies have such weak trade value...it shouldn't take that much for DK.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 9:17 a.m.
    NSH has the higher pick currently and likely will at the end.. If EDM wants their higher pick they would be paying a 1st and 2nd. Unless NSH is a placeholder team for a MTL/COL/PHI/etc.
    villenash liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
    Banned
    Drafting Cossa doesn't do anything for this team. Goalies are typically 4-5 years away from making the league from draft day, this team needs to win well before then. Cossa should be the best goalie in this draft when it's all said and done, but for a team that's desperate to win now, trading down to get him doesn't make sense. I wouldn't be shocked to see Edmonton trade that pick all together to get help
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
    Zinner21
    Geeze that's a massive overpayment for Kuemper. May as well add some to that and offer that to Anaheim for Gibson.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 1:42 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Quoting: Ryminister_27
    Drafting Cossa doesn't do anything for this team. Goalies are typically 4-5 years away from making the league from draft day, this team needs to win well before then. Cossa should be the best goalie in this draft when it's all said and done, but for a team that's desperate to win now, trading down to get him doesn't make sense. I wouldn't be shocked to see Edmonton trade that pick all together to get help

2022 pick would be in play. 2021 no way they trade it they have almost no picks as it is.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Trading Broberg is the most idiotic thing I’ve ever seen.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Zmach
    2022 pick would be in play. 2021 no way they trade it they have almost no picks as it is.

Try selling that to McDavid and Draisaitl. They couldn't care less about a prospect that's 3-5 years away. Management needs to show them they're committed to winning now or they'll want out
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
    In Zito We Trust

uh...
    Wallstedt???
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:18 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: VijayPatel11
    uh...
    Wallstedt???

I like Wallstedt - and he is the best goaltender in the upcoming draft - but unless Edmonton is going to gamble the same way Pittsburgh did with Fleury, it's likely that even he's 2-3 years out from playing NHL games, never mind being a full-time starter. Cossa is really good and does a lot of technical things right, but given his CHL path, yeah he's absolutely a long-term piece suited more for a team just entering a rebuild or halfway through one.

Neither are solutions for the Oilers right now.

Trading Broberg is the most idiotic thing I’ve ever seen.

No it's not, trading two high picks for Griffen Reinhart is.

Broberg can be traded: Nurse has shown year-over-year progress and might actually finally be ready to take on that "Pronger-lite" title he's been touted with since his draft season. If Klefbom comes back healthy, Edmonton has a decent left side in their top-4. The competition for the #3LD slot will boil down to Jones, Samorukov, maybe Lagesson seeing how high the organization is on him, or an external candidate. Broberg might be the most moveable piece Edmonton has right now besides their next two first round picks if they want any legitimate long-term solution in net. The right side is still somewhat shallow beyond Bear and Bouchard: moving those two should be off the table in any capacity.

I'll agree that pairing Broberg and a first for Kuemper is a very, very stupid trade. That kind of package needs to be part of something to acquire the Gibson-tier level goaltenders.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
    Banned
    uh...
    Wallstedt???

Personally, as someone working in the scouting industry, I don't like him long term. He's the best goalie right now and available for the draft, but for future potential I see Cossa as miles better.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
    In Zito We Trust
    Personally, as someone working in the scouting industry, I don't like him long term. He's the best goalie right now and available for the draft, but for future potential I see Cossa as miles better.

And why is that?
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
    Banned
    And why is that?

Cossa is most technically sound with size and athleticism while Wallstedt relies too much on his athletic ability to make saves. Wallstedt is more athletic but he gets caught out of position more and is able to make up for it more because of his athleticism. He's similar to Askarov in that way. Both rely on leaving open holes and reacting to the puck rather than playing with positional abilities. That screams injury prone as well (see Semyon Varlamov as a prime case). Cossa plays a sound positional game but has the athleticism when needed but isn't forced to over exert himself because of it. He's calm in the net and reads the play well so he's often 3 steps ahead of the shot. His path of playing CHL also benefits him more as well. I see a John Gibson comparison for him
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Best case scenario Klefbom comes back and finishes his contract then retires. Worst case scenario he doesn’t come back. Both of those scenarios are acceptable to me. The hybrid solution that is likely to happen where he comes back but only plays half the games is where things get screwed up. Nurse is still a liability at times defensively and there is no telling what happens after his contract is up. Edmonton cannot afford to pay nurse 7.5 million just to keep him. We have to assume that both Nurse and Klefbom are not around for very much longer when we are making these deals.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    I like Wallstedt - and he is the best goaltender in the upcoming draft - but unless Edmonton is going to gamble the same way Pittsburgh did with Fleury, it's likely that even he's 2-3 years out from playing NHL games, never mind being a full-time starter. Cossa is really good and does a lot of technical things right, but given his CHL path, yeah he's absolutely a long-term piece suited more for a team just entering a rebuild or halfway through one.

Neither are solutions for the Oilers right now.

No it's not, trading two high picks for Griffen Reinhart is.

Broberg can be traded: Nurse has shown year-over-year progress and might actually finally be ready to take on that "Pronger-lite" title he's been touted with since his draft season. If Klefbom comes back healthy, Edmonton has a decent left side in their top-4. The competition for the #3LD slot will boil down to Jones, Samorukov, maybe Lagesson seeing how high the organization is on him, or an external candidate. Broberg might be the most moveable piece Edmonton has right now besides their next two first round picks if they want any legitimate long-term solution in net. The right side is still somewhat shallow beyond Bear and Bouchard: moving those two should be off the table in any capacity.

I'll agree that pairing Broberg and a first for Kuemper is a very, very stupid trade. That kind of package needs to be part of something to acquire the Gibson-tier level goaltenders.

You better believe Edmonton is hot for Cossa. He’s been playing in their building after all! My vote would be to get a goaltender like Korpisalo or Kuemper and draft Cossa anyway.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    You better believe Edmonton is hot for Cossa. He’s been playing in their building after all! My vote would be to get a goaltender like Korpisalo or Kuemper and draft Cossa anyway.

Then your plan is for Edmonton to not ice a winning team outside of the next year or two maximum. Korpisalo is not a good goaltender and Kuemper is a short-term solution. What do you do when his two years are up?

Cossa is 5 years away as of his draft day. He'll finish out his CHL games, three years, maybe take an ECHL year given that the adjustment from CHL to AHL is very difficult, and get a full year as an AHL starter. McDavid's contract is over by the time Cossa plays an NHL game. He's not a solution. Konovalov and Rodrigue - if you must have a prospect come up - are the best bets and even they're still a year and a bit away.
    Ryminister_27 liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Then your plan is for Edmonton to not ice a winning team outside of the next year or two maximum. Korpisalo is not a good goaltender and Kuemper is a short-term solution. What do you do when his two years are up?

Cossa is 5 years away as of his draft day. He'll finish out his CHL games, three years, maybe take an ECHL year given that the adjustment from CHL to AHL is very difficult, and get a full year as an AHL starter. McDavid's contract is over by the time Cossa plays an NHL game. He's not a solution. Konovalov and Rodrigue - if you must have a prospect come up - are the best bets and even they're still a year and a bit away.

It’s not at all realistic to be able to trade for John Gibson or a goaltender with term. If you want to be able to snag top free agent goaltenders you build a superb defence. I also like to think they could resign kuemper after koskinen's contract is up. Kuemper would be what 33?
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    It’s not at all realistic to be able to trade for John Gibson or a goaltender with term. If you want to be able to snag top free agent goaltenders you build a superb defence. I also like to think they could resign kuemper after koskinen's contract is up. Kuemper would be what 33?

Why extend a 33 year old goaltender? Did we not learn anything from the Khabibulin days?

I'm fine with them wanting to take a run at Grubauer or Binnington in the offseason. Ullmark would be okay, but not ideal. I'd gamble on pricing Sorokin out of Long Island, Demko out of Vancouver, or Saros out of Nashville. The key is term: that's why I'm opposed to these one- or two-year fixes but open to an out-of-the-park trade. There needs to be a blend of quality and stability in net, and the carousel Edmonton's managed since Roloson left has had neither of those elements.

Names like Benson and Lagesson are absolutely tradeable assets, but there's no sense in trading them for a goaltender that's gone in short order. Trading them for rental forwards or blueliners is a completely different ballgame: skaters are just inherently more valuable.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:31 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    Why extend a 33 year old goaltender? Did we not learn anything from the Khabibulin days?

I'm fine with them wanting to take a run at Grubauer or Binnington in the offseason. Ullmark would be okay, but not ideal. I'd gamble on pricing Sorokin out of Long Island, Demko out of Vancouver, or Saros out of Nashville. The key is term: that's why I'm opposed to these one- or two-year fixes but open to an out-of-the-park trade. There needs to be a blend of quality and stability in net, and the carousel Edmonton's managed since Roloson left has had neither of those elements.

Names like Benson and Lagesson are absolutely tradeable assets, but there's no sense in trading them for a goaltender that's gone in short order. Trading them for rental forwards or blueliners is a completely different ballgame: skaters are just inherently more valuable.

Here is another scenario. What if they trade for korpisalo (Koskinen in the deal) and grab a free agent. The cap would work out of you signed a guy for 6 million as a free agent.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:35 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Here is another scenario. What if they trade for korpisalo (Koskinen in the deal) and grab a free agent. The cap would work out of you signed a guy for 6 million as a free agent.

KORPISALO. IS. NOT. GOOD.
    Pulju13 liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
    Pistol Pete

Why not? He’s got the cap hit to be a quality backup if nothing else.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Why not? He’s got the cap hit to be a quality backup if nothing else.

There's the problem. His numbers aren't that different from Koskinen's, and the problem is Koskinen isn't good enough. Edmonton needs a genuine starter, not another goaltender incapable of getting Edmonton to the promised land.
    Pulju13 liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 4:06 p.m.
    Pistol Pete
    There's the problem. His numbers aren't that different from Koskinen's, and the problem is Koskinen isn't good enough. Edmonton needs a genuine starter, not another goaltender incapable of getting Edmonton to the promised land.

What if we trade Koskinen and a pick for korpisalo then snag a starting goalie on free agency? I’m thinking we double down. Part of the issue we have in goal is koskinen’s contract.
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
    Ken Holland Hater
    Quoting: NYR1983
    NSH has the higher pick currently and likely will at the end.. If EDM wants their higher pick they would be paying a 1st and 2nd. Unless NSH is a placeholder team for a MTL/COL/PHI/etc.

Yea I just picked a random team
    Feb. 7, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
    Ken Holland Hater

WeterChiareWWi

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll