What I think a return for Sam Bennett would look like

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2020-21 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 6, 2021
Published: Apr. 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I still can't believe the Flames drafted him at 4th overall :(

A player who is drafted 4th overall should not be playing in the bottom six.

Ever.

Although he sometimes struggles in the regular season, he does pretty well in the playoffs, as shown from the last 2 years.

I think if he was playing for the right team, he could show his true potential.

This what I think a return for Sam Bennett could look like:

1. A second round pick for the upcoming draft

2. A couple of roster players who, unlike Sam Bennett, are supposed to be bottom six forwards in the NHL.

What do you think a potential return for Sam Bennett would look like?

Let me know in the comments :)
Trades
CGY
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Sam Bennett is at his best in the playoffs and that is where the Penguins are headed this year.
PIT
  1. Bennett, Sam ($1,275,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Brian Burke thinks very highly of Sam Bennett. Bennett was so bad at the 2014 draft combine that he couldn't even do a pull-up. And yet, Burkie drafted him at 4th overall anyway :D

It's a true story. Type in "Sam Bennett pull-up" into google and you'll see!
CGY
  1. Grant, Derek ($750,000 retained)
  2. Heinen, Danton
Additional Details:
These are the two players that Anaheim almost traded in a package to Vancouver for Jake Virtanen earlier this year.

That's right! Jake Virtanen!

Unlike Virtanen, Sam Bennett is the much better player, can play centre and is not owed 3 million in salary next season, which was a deal-breaker for the Ducks.

Based on the fact they were about to be traded for Virtanen, that means Heinen and Grant are expendable.

In this trade, the Ducks are downsizing instead of adding salary.

What Calgary gets are two bona fide bottom six players on decent contracts, one of which can play on the wing while the other can play centre.

To ensure Calgary stays under the cap, Anaheim should retain salary on one of Heinen or Grant. I'm not exactly sure how much is fair though :/
ANA
    Sam Bennett
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$69,151,666$0$457,500$12,348,334
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,850,000$4,850,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 4
    $778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LW, RW, C
    RFA - 1
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,375,000$6,375,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,425,000$2,425,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $875,000$875,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $2,800,000$2,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,375,000$3,375,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $1,237,500$1,237,500
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $1,125,000$1,125,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $3,125,000$3,125,000 ($2,050,000$2M$2,050,000$2M)
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $787,500$787,500 ($0$0$0$0)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 4:50 p.m.
    KFTW
    I think Sam Bennett should play in the NBA. Take the season off and just play the playoffs. They don’t do that in the NHL
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Brian Burke thinks very highly of Sam Bennett. Bennett was so bad at the 2014 draft combine that he couldn't even do a pull-up. And yet, Burkie drafted him at 4th overall anyway grin

It's a true story. Type in "Sam Bennett pull-up" into google and you'll see!

I remember the story back in 2014. After I saw what Burke did the Leafs via the draft, trades and free agency, he's the last guy that should be making hockey personnel decisions for a team.

IMO Bennett is going to be a UFA this summer. Any teams that has his rights isn't qualifying him at 2.55m
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
    I really dislike Bennett but I think those returns are reasonable, giving him extreme credit for playoff production and perceived weakness in this draft.
    csick and sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
    TommyGunns
    Quoting: csick
    I think Sam Bennett should play in the NBA. Take the season off and just play the playoffs. They don’t do that in the NHL

Tell that to Kucherov
    csick liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    is Sam Bennett good now? i mean if you can get a 2nd i would take that and run but hes having an average year.... i wouldnt pay that much for him. 2nd would be someone paying for potential but hes been playing for 6 seasons..... maybe get a 3rd...?
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
    KFTW
    Quoting: tommygunns
    Tell that to Kucherov

Kucherov is cuz of the cap lol. Different situation
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: tommygunns
    Tell that to Kucherov

HEY! he's still recovering....on the ice.... playing hockey.... should be "really" ready by playoffs.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:17 p.m.
    sensonfire
    Quoting: Capitalfail67
    is Sam Bennett good now? i mean if you can get a 2nd i would take that and run but hes having an average year.... i wouldnt pay that much for him. 2nd would be someone paying for potential but hes been playing for 6 seasons..... maybe get a 3rd...?

Bennett has underperformed in the regular season but he shows his true potential in the playoffs.

If there is a team that is looking to go far in the playoffs, Bennett could help that team take that next step.

It would not surprise me if the Penguins have asked about Bennett already and would be willing to pay a premium, considering that Burkie is running their front office.
    Capitalfail67 liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: sensonfire
    Bennett has underperformed in the regular season but he shows his true potential in the playoffs.

If there is a team that is looking to go far in the playoffs, Bennett could help that team take that next step.

It would not surprise me if the Penguins have asked about Bennett already and would be willing to pay a premium, considering that Burkie is running their front office.

i mean they paid a premium for Kappy and Zucker wouldnt surprise me ,
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
    I can't see Pittsburgh spending a 2nd on a player that they would be exposing in the expansion draft. I also don't think Bennett is good. The majority of his playoff production the last two seasons came from the powerplay too, which isn't ideal when you want depth scoring.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
    Heinen is better than Bennett. Not sure about Grant but they're probably close.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:29 p.m.
    All the reports say Pens arnt giving up the 2nd round pick next year.

I think the Pens are gonna move Riikola, Jankowski, and Sceviour.

Maybe Lafferty and E.Rodrigues. And maybe Pettersson. Maybe Zucker.

They arnt gonna get a ton in return except for Zucker and Pettersson. And Riikola and Lafferty have some value. Janko is a RFA and can be a bottom 6 and PK place holder. And if he plays well, he’s a cheap RFA re-signing. E-Rod and Sceviour are just expiring contracts that have little value.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
    Quoting: LetsGoPens69
    All the reports say Pens arnt giving up the 2nd round pick next year.

I think the Pens are gonna move Riikola, Jankowski, and Sceviour.

Maybe Lafferty and E.Rodrigues. And maybe Pettersson. Maybe Zucker.

They arnt gonna get a ton in return except for Zucker and Pettersson. And Riikola and Lafferty have some value. Janko is a RFA and can be a bottom 6 and PK place holder. And if he plays well, he’s a cheap RFA re-signing. E-Rod and Sceviour are just expiring contracts that have little value.

Where did you see they would move Zucker? I haven't hear that. Seems very counterproductive to what they are trying to accomplish. Also, Burke and Hextall have made multiple comments about not trading the D because they like the depth they have.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
    sensonfire
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    Heinen is better than Bennett. Not sure about Grant but they're probably close.

Is Bennett better than Virtanen at least?

In all honesty?
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:39 p.m.
    Quoting: sensonfire
    Is Bennett better than Virtanen at least?

In all honesty?

Probably, I don't watch them enough to make the perfect call but imo they're close.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:53 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
    Quoting: brgh4life
    Where did you see they would move Zucker? I haven't hear that. Seems very counterproductive to what they are trying to accomplish. Also, Burke and Hextall have made multiple comments about not trading the D because they like the depth they have.

The Zucker/Geno combo hasn’t worked out at all. The line and both players looked bad together. ZAR looked better on Geno’s Left-side.

And it’s obviously gonna be McCann/Geno/Kappy on the 2nd line when healthy. Or should be.

And u can’t break up the Guentzel/Sid/Rust line. And 3rd line should be ZAR/Blueger/Tanev IMO.

And 4th line Zohorna/Gaudreau/Angello. I would like to see. Or OConnor/Gaudreau/Angello.

And E-Rod and Lafferty healthy scratches and give players rest.

I don’t see where Zucker fits in.

And ya, I doubt they trade Pettersson.

I can see them trading Riikola , I’m a fan though. I like Riikola. Would be a 3rd pairing D on most NHL teams. Plays both LHD and RHD equally well and they just rewarded him with that contract this offseason. I wish he was healthy and got a chance this year when our D was all hurt.

PO-Jospeh/Ruthwedel are good 7th-8th Depth D and Friedman plays both LHD and RHD as a RH shot. He plays his off-side a lot. That’s plenty of depth.

Again, I bet they trade, Riikola, Janko, and Sceviour. And just get a rental player or two back.
    I doubt Zucker or Pettersson get moved. Or Lafferty and E-Rod.

It will probably be Guentzel/Sid/Rust, McCann/Geno/Kappy, Zucker/Blueger/Tanev, ZAR/Gaudreau/E-Rod.
    Apr. 7, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
    Quoting: LetsGoPens69
    The Zucker/Geno combo hasn’t worked out at all. The line and both players looked bad together. ZAR looked better on Geno’s Left-side.

And it’s obviously gonna be McCann/Geno/Kappy on the 2nd line when healthy. Or should be.

And u can’t break up the Guentzel/Sid/Rust line. And 3rd line should be ZAR/Blueger/Tanev IMO.

And 4th line Zohorna/Gaudreau/Angello. I would like to see. Or OConnor/Gaudreau/Angello.

And E-Rod and Lafferty healthy scratches and give players rest.

I don’t see where Zucker fits in.

And ya, I doubt they trade Pettersson.

I can see them trading Riikola , I’m a fan though. I like Riikola. Would be a 3rd pairing D on most NHL teams. Plays both LHD and RHD equally well and they just rewarded him with that contract this offseason. I wish he was healthy and got a chance this year when our D was all hurt.

PO-Jospeh/Ruthwedel are good 7th-8th Depth D and Friedman plays both LHD and RHD as a RH shot. He plays his off-side a lot. That’s plenty of depth.

Again, I bet they trade, Riikola, Janko, and Sceviour. And just get a rental player or two back.
    I doubt Zucker or Pettersson get moved. Or Lafferty and E-Rod.

It will probably be Guentzel/Sid/Rust, McCann/Geno/Kappy, Zucker/Blueger/Tanev, ZAR/Gaudreau/E-Rod.

Zucker is a guy that Sullivan absolutely loves. Hextall has made multiple statements, including in todays interview with Rorabaugh, that he doesn't want to trade away a player and take away from the team chemistry. He is looking to add, not remove. Zucker could be a candidate for trade after the expansion draft, when Ron and Burke are more likely to try and shape the roster their way, but I highly doubt he moves anyone from the active roster not named Jankowski/Sceviour.

As for lines, I'm actually very happy with what I'm seeing from the Zucker McCann Rodrigues line. That's a very solid line. I think you can experiment with Tanev Malkin Kapanen upon their return, adding the defensive forechecker in Tanev balances that line out. Then you have a 4th line of ZAR Teddy Gaudreau/Trade candidate.
    LetsGoPens69 liked this.
    Apr. 9, 2021 at 5:53 p.m.
    Quoting: brgh4life
    Zucker is a guy that Sullivan absolutely loves. Hextall has made multiple statements, including in todays interview with Rorabaugh, that he doesn't want to trade away a player and take away from the team chemistry. He is looking to add, not remove. Zucker could be a candidate for trade after the expansion draft, when Ron and Burke are more likely to try and shape the roster their way, but I highly doubt he moves anyone from the active roster not named Jankowski/Sceviour.

As for lines, I'm actually very happy with what I'm seeing from the Zucker McCann Rodrigues line. That's a very solid line. I think you can experiment with Tanev Malkin Kapanen upon their return, adding the defensive forechecker in Tanev balances that line out. Then you have a 4th line of ZAR Teddy Gaudreau/Trade candidate.

ZAR looked great on Geno’s left side. So did McCann. I would like to see ZAR/Geno/Kappy
    brgh4life liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll