Forums/Armchair-GM

Menell Value

Created by: jnowariak
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: May 4, 2021
Published: May 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A lot hinges on what happens to Dumba but Menell looks like the odd man out. I realize these are kind of all over the place but think of this a throwing out feelers.

For folks that aren’t familiar, Menell is a 23 yo RHD coming off a season in the KHL as its leading defenseman scorer. He’s ready to step in as a #4 and take some PP time. Best part is he’s cheap.
Trades
NJD
  1. Menell, Brennan [Reserve List]
MIN
  1. Prosvetov, Ivan
  2. 2021 4th round pick (PIT)
ARI
    Menell
    MIN
    1. Brown, Logan [RFA Rights]
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (OTT)
    OTT
      Menell
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      16$81,500,000$48,475,834$0$832,500$33,024,166
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 3
      $3,100,000$3,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $725,000$725,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the New Jersey Devils
      $925,000$925,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $3,650,000$3,650,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $7,575,000$7,575,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $3,666,667$3,666,667
      G
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $725,000$725,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
      $809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      G
      UFA - 1
      Taxi Squad
      $825,833$825,833 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      G
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 4, 2021 at 1:27 a.m.
      Rangers 2023
      Sp keep him?
      May 4, 2021 at 1:37 a.m.
      Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
      Sp keep him?

He’s boxed out. Addison plays the same role on an ELC. Only way he gets a shot is if they move Dumba.
      May 4, 2021 at 2:25 a.m.
      Banned
      Russo who covers wild said the wild has been In touch with him, & plan to resign him after expansion

Also it makes zero sense for wild to move a Minnesota born player who went, & developed more in the KHL
      May 4, 2021 at 7:57 a.m.
      NJ Devils would give a late pick maybe - but not a young player off their roster. Could help fill out RHD depth.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.
      Quoting: NHLfan10506
      NJ Devils would give a late pick maybe - but not a young player off their roster. Could help fill out RHD depth.

I see that. I used the idea that two young players need a new home to get their shot. Boqvist definitely has the higher ceiling though.
      May 4, 2021 at 9:23 a.m.
      Hockey Fan13
      I think Menell will want some certainty that he will be a NHL player, before he signs. I think Wild would ideally like to move Dumba for some sort of return. They are probably hoping Kraken take Soucy. Leaving pairs next year of
      Brodin - Spurgeon
      Suter - Addison
      Cole - Menell
      jnowariak, Morzski and RazWild liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 9:35 a.m.
      Quoting: OutCold13
      I think Menell will want some certainty that he will be a NHL player, before he signs. I think Wild would ideally like to move Dumba for some sort of return. They are probably hoping Kraken take Soucy. Leaving pairs next year of
      Brodin - Spurgeon
      Suter - Addison
      Cole - Menell

Menell is not going to sign a 2 way deal. But if we keep Dumba, which I’m now changing my tune and say we should, Menell is the odd man out. The really nice thing about this team is that there are options right now. I’m in agreement that Soucy is the Kraken pick and Addison hits the show full time, I think we want him 3rd pair though to shelter him for a while.
      OutCold13 and RazWild liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 9:46 a.m.
      Hockey Fan13
      Quoting: jnowariak
      Menell is not going to sign a 2 way deal. But if we keep Dumba, which I’m now changing my tune and say we should, Menell is the odd man out. The really nice thing about this team is that there are options right now. I’m in agreement that Soucy is the Kraken pick and Addison hits the show full time, I think we want him 3rd pair though to shelter him for a while.

I wish Wild could keep Dumba as well he is kinda a glue guy beyond his play on the ice. I also agree bringing Addison along slowly is more ideal.
      The problem with protecting Dumba is you are really hoping Suter waives so he is exposed, which I think that is a 50/50 scenario. Otherwise Wild protect 4/4/1 I then think Kraken take Greenway not Soucy, with a outside chance they take Sturm.
      jnowariak and RazWild liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.
      Quoting: OutCold13
      I wish Wild could keep Dumba as well he is kinda a glue guy beyond his play on the ice. I also agree bringing Addison along slowly is more ideal.
      The problem with protecting Dumba is you are really hoping Suter waives so he is exposed, which I think that is a 50/50 scenario. Otherwise Wild protect 4/4/1 I then think Kraken take Greenway not Soucy, with a outside chance they take Sturm.

I agree with all that and I would honestly say let the Kraken take their pick if it means having Dumba or not. Sturm is the one I’m most concerned about given his cost security but all should be readily replaceable either in house or on the cheap go UFA.
      OutCold13 and RazWild liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 3:52 p.m.
      aeroastro.MN
      I am against trading Menell. We could sign him to play 3rd pair on an ELC if Soucy is taken.
      May 4, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
      Quoting: Aero_Astro_Guy
      I am against trading Menell. We could sign him to play 3rd pair on an ELC if Soucy is taken.

Mennel already had his ELC.
      May 4, 2021 at 3:58 p.m.
      aeroastro.MN
      Quoting: wabit
      Mennel already had his ELC.

For some reason, capfriendly wants me to give him an elc when i do ACGM. Still cheaper than Soucy or Cole though.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.

Mennel wouldn't make it though waivers, so a 2-way deal is a moot point. I'd rather sign Mennel ($1mish) and play him on the 3rd pair and keep Addison in the AHL as an injury callup (Spurgeon is going to get injured at some point). Brodin/Dumba, Suter/Spurgeon, Soucy/Mennel.

The AHL team would be good with Rossi, Kovanov, Beckman, Addison, etc. It's just too bad O'Rourke has to go back to the CHL next year. Not sure on Marat K's KHL contract status, but he could possible be in Iowa too.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
      Mennel wouldn't make it though waivers, so a 2-way deal is a moot point. I'd rather sign Mennel ($1mish) and play him on the 3rd pair and keep Addison in the AHL as an injury callup (Spurgeon is going to get injured at some point). Brodin/Dumba, Suter/Spurgeon, Soucy/Mennel.

The AHL team would be good with Rossi, Kovanov, Beckman, Addison, etc. It's just too bad O'Rourke has to go back to the CHL next year. Not sure on Marat K's KHL contract status, but he could possible be in Iowa too.

It sounds like there will be some heavy discussion, and a realistic possible chance, there could be some change to how the whole CHL thing works. So, O'Rourke having to go back to the CHL next year isn't a sure thing yet.

IIRC, Marat Khusnutdinov has another year on his contract, so next year is out of the question. Given his shoulder injury at the world U18's this year, I'm not certain he's played since. There's a good chance his contract will slide back a year too.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:36 p.m.
      Quoting: RazWild
      It sounds like there will be some heavy discussion, and a realistic possible chance, there could be some change to how the whole CHL thing works. So, O'Rourke having to go back to the CHL next year isn't a sure thing yet.

IIRC, Marat Khusnutdinov has another year on his contract, so next year is out of the question. Given his shoulder injury at the world U18's this year, I'm not certain he's played since. There's a good chance his contract will slide back a year too.

I'm not sure why his KHL contract would slide? He had 12 KHL games, 4 VHL, and 10 MHL games played before he got injured. So it's not like he missed the entire season.

The CHL will fight tooth and nail to keep that rule in place. Really only a handful of players league wide does it really affect in a negative way. Most drafted guys would just end up as roster fillers with minimal playing time in the AHL. I'd like it to be changed to an option for the draft + 2 players to get sent to the AHL or back to the CHL by the NHL club.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:39 p.m.

A 1 way deal is important in the same way a 1 way deal was important for Sturm and Kaapo. By getting them on a 1 way, they signal to the player that they will be on the big club. From what I can tell, teams don’t want to do this if the player isn’t going to be on the big league roster and the player wants that extra insurance to keep them from being demoted. And I guarantee you Menell doesn’t want to play a Hunt like role either.

We will have a better understanding of what will happen if Dumba is traded or after the expansion draft. But the way the team sits, Menell knows he doesn’t have a role carved out in the NHL.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
      I'm not sure why his KHL contract would slide? He had 12 KHL games, 4 VHL, and 10 MHL games played before he got injured. So it's not like he missed the entire season.

The CHL will fight tooth and nail to keep that rule in place. Really only a handful of players league wide does it really affect in a negative way. Most drafted guys would just end up as roster fillers with minimal playing time in the AHL. I'd like it to be changed to an option for the draft + 2 players to get sent to the AHL or back to the CHL by the NHL club.

Heard that too. Doesn’t look like a wholesale change and the AHL call ups will be fairly limited. I wonder if ORourke would qualify.

Sorry, thought I was replying to @RazWild.
      May 4, 2021 at 4:43 p.m.

Contract can’t slide if he hasn’t signed it. I think it runs through next season though.
      May 4, 2021 at 5:08 p.m.
      Contract can’t slide if he hasn’t signed it. I think it runs through next season though.

I wasn't sure it there was such a thing as a contract slide for the KHL in reply to that other post.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 5:52 p.m.

Oomph, didn't realize he had that many games in. That certainly changes things then.

Heard that too. Doesn’t look like a wholesale change and the AHL call ups will be fairly limited. I wonder if ORourke would qualify.

Sorry, thought I was replying to @RazWild.

I wasn't sure it there was such a thing as a contract slide for the KHL in reply to that other post.

TBH, I'm not certain on the whole contract slide thing either. I just automatically assumed that the KHL would have something similar to it. 🤷‍♂️

I agree that changes won't be widespread either, and that that the CHL will fight tooth and nail to prevent it. But by that same token NHL GM's are done pandering to the CHL and want greater control and flexibility over their own drafted prospects. It boils down to a necessary need in regards for a players further development. They aren't going to continue to let their best prospects who might not be quite NHL ready but are clearly too good to be playing lesser competition continue to do so. That just stunts their development, and they gain nothing for it.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
      Quoting: RazWild
      Oomph, didn't realize he had that many games in. That certainly changes things then.

TBH, I'm not certain on the whole contract slide thing either. I just automatically assumed that the KHL would have something similar to it. 🤷‍♂️

I agree that changes won't be widespread either, and that that the CHL will fight tooth and nail to prevent it. But by that same token NHL GM's are done pandering to the CHL and want greater control and flexibility over their own drafted prospects. It boils down to a necessary need in regards for a players further development. They aren't going to continue to let their best prospects who might not be quite NHL ready but are clearly too good to be playing lesser competition continue to do so. That just stunts their development, and they gain nothing for it.

Yeah, the slide can happen if the player is under 20 at a certain date and plays less than the magic number of games in the NHL in that season. Rossi wasn’t 20 when the season started so he gets to slide but Boldy was when he signed so he doesn’t get the slide. That’s the super simple explanation.

As far as the CHL goes, there are 2 things people conveniently overlook. The first is that the prospects in question are almost exclusively top 15 picks from a strong draft. The second is that the best AHL vets are on the taxi squad so the games are probably more like junior than we give it credit for. I like the idea of capping each team at pulling up to 1 or 2 guys every couple years, there really shouldn’t be more than that many top flight prospects in an org.
      May 4, 2021 at 6:18 p.m.
      Yeah, the slide can happen if the player is under 20 at a certain date and plays less than the magic number of games in the NHL in that season. Rossi wasn’t 20 when the season started so he gets to slide but Boldy was when he signed so he doesn’t get the slide. That’s the super simple explanation.

As far as the CHL goes, there are 2 things people conveniently overlook. The first is that the prospects in question are almost exclusively top 15 picks from a strong draft. The second is that the best AHL vets are on the taxi squad so the games are probably more like junior than we give it credit for. I like the idea of capping each team at pulling up to 1 or 2 guys every couple years, there really shouldn’t be more than that many top flight prospects in an org.

We were talking about a KHL slide (if that's a thing), not a NHL slide.

I think there are more than the top-15 that would benefit from the AHL over the CHL in their draft+2 year. Bigger players that need to learn how to use their size could really benefit from having to play adults and not 16-18 year old kids.
      jnowariak liked this.
      May 4, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
      We were talking about a KHL slide (if that's a thing), not a NHL slide.

I think there are more than the top-15 that would benefit from the AHL over the CHL in their draft+2 year. Bigger players that need to learn how to use their size could really benefit from having to play adults and not 16-18 year old kids.

The KHL contract is only a KHL contract and has no bearing on the Wild other than he is contractually obligated to play in the KHL next year. Those teams don’t let players out of them often. The slide is an NHL CBA thing and only applies to NHL ELCs when the player is under 20.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll