Forums/Armchair-GM

JonnyMonny trades

Created by: DopeGM
Team: 2021-22 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2021
Published: Jun. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I really dislike the idea of starting next year with Jonny (because of timing of UFA) and Monny (because of culture/fit). I could see the Jonny deal ahead of the ED and I could see the Monny deal coming together late summer after surgery and NYR losing the Eichel sweeps.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,150,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$900,000
5$5,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$2,750,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Jensen, Nick
  2. Kuznetsov, Evgeny
  3. 2022 1st round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Gaudreau, Johnny
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Maybe a conditional 1st if resigned else 2nd
CGY
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel [RFA Rights]
  2. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
2022 first or Nils maybe? Maybe lottery protected? Gauthier? There’s a “plus” in there for the W to C I believe. And the short term cost certainty versus a longer term deal with a nice winger but at a position NYR has surplus at. They shouldn’t be keeping Buch for long.
CGY
    I don’t see how Seattle doesn’t take Gio. That seems like as close to an automatic first rounder at the deadline as you’ll find in the ED.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$61,933,333$0$15,000$19,566,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $2,425,000$2,425,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW, C
    RFA - 3
    $4,850,000$4,850,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    LW, C
    RFA - 4
    $801,666$801,666 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,125,000$1,125,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $1,237,500$1,237,500
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    C
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:09 a.m.
    Judd Bracket ripoff
    Why is NYR adding buch is better than monahan
    HOCKEYBOY448 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
    GO FLAMES GO
    No way Flames trade Gaudreau for Kuzy. Plus Kuzy probably won't waive here. Also incoming angry rangers fans.

Wait one more thing. I don't think we should trade Gaudreau unless he doesn't have an extension by TDL 2022
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:11 a.m.
    Serious armchairGM:)
    the W to C value difference and the short term cost certainty vs catching Buch at the expensive time of his career. I don’t think Drury and NYR want Buch along for much more than a year or two but he’s due for an expensive long term deal.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:12 a.m.
    No chance. Buch is more valuable to us than Monahan. And adding a 1st on top of it, no thanks. We’ll find another solution to our center issue.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:13 a.m.
    Quoting: Gmonwy
    No way Flames trade Gaudreau for Kuzy. Plus Kuzy probably won't waive here. Also incoming angry rangers fans.

Wait one more thing. I don't think we should trade Gaudreau unless he doesn't have an extension by TDL 2022

But by then he’s got a five team no trade list. That seems late and bad asset management to me. That’s more likely if you go into this year thinking you can win though. This team in this idea is closer to half committed to winning next year. A bit gamble and a lot grabbing ideas for a retool.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:14 a.m.
    Quoting: HOCKEYBOY448
    No chance. Buch is more valuable to us than Monahan. And adding a 1st on top of it, no thanks. We’ll find another solution to our center issue.

First is moreso a placeholder. Too valuable in this deal but I think Gauthier or Lunqvist are better fits. I can see BT convincing CD to add to go from W to C.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:16 a.m.
    GO FLAMES GO
    Quoting: DopeGM
    But by then he’s got a five team no trade list. That seems late and bad asset management to me. That’s more likely if you go into this year thinking you can win though. This team in this idea is closer to half committed to winning next year. A bit gamble and a lot grabbing ideas for a retool.

Plus Sutter would not like Kuznetsov IMO
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:18 a.m.

Also, look at that cap space these two trades open up. That’s very valuable in a 2022 retool year. Got to think there are plenty of second rounders available for taking one year cap anchors. And you’ve already got a full team.

I would use the space on a trade for an RFA, Schmaltz maybe, a younger UFA. But I didn’t want to get too fancy with the rebuilding given those are three massive changes I’ve proposed.

So you don’t like the Kuznetsov gamble hey.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:20 a.m.
    Plus Sutter would not like Kuznetsov IMO

Sutter would hate Kuz’ attitude on the ice but maybe he would hate it enough for Kuz to change it.

I do wonder if Kuz would waive his NTC. We are one of about ten teams where he would be a sure fire 1C and I could see him waiving for the role more than the taxes or lifestyle.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:36 a.m.
    Monahan is arguably a lateral move from Strome. Definitely not worth Buch by himself, let alone adding other valuable pieces
    Cbzblaze liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:40 a.m.
    the W to C value difference and the short term cost certainty vs catching Buch at the expensive time of his career. I don’t think Drury and NYR want Buch along for much more than a year or two but he’s due for an expensive long term deal.

lol wtf did I just read?

Rangers likely to sign Buch for around 6.25 x 6, and we'd be getting a swell deal. He's had the same value as Tkachuk over the last couple years.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-09-at-12-39-36-AM
    Screen-Shot-2021-06-09-at-12-39-20-AM
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:52 a.m.
    Quoting: Sagecoll
    lol wtf did I just read?

Rangers likely to sign Buch for around 6.25 x 6, and we'd be getting a swell deal. He's had the same value as Tkachuk over the last couple years.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-09-at-12-39-36-AM
    Screen-Shot-2021-06-09-at-12-39-20-AM

It’s all about W to C. This is simply a roster construction issue. You can’t keep Buch and Kreider (and the obvious wingers Panerin, Kakko, Lafrein, Kravtsov etc)

Both Strome and Monny are short term solutions in the top six. Unfortunately all that great talent is getting paid in two to three years.

Buch’ stats and value to other GMs are held up from his great linemates and opportunity. That contract is a sweet one on a value basis, but like a Jason Zucker or Phil Kessell, you can only have so many high paid wingers.

My primary target with Buch this off-season would be a mature C that is signed for three years and young enough to resign. Monny is certainly not the ideal target but I could see CD doing it late summer if he fanned on other targets. Big off-season for NYR.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:09 a.m.
    Quoting: aspina25
    Monahan is arguably a lateral move from Strome. Definitely not worth Buch by himself, let alone adding other valuable pieces

Here’s the bigger problem with the deal.

Monny is going to return to 30 goal form and low slot PP threat playing 5v5 w Panerin and PP1.

In two years time, it’s going to be really hard to avoid resigning him and at that point you have a looot of money and term tied up in Zib and Monny and you soon come to the realization that your Stanley Cup window passed before you thought it had fully arrived.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:29 a.m.
    Fantasy Hockey Pro
    No chance in hell the caps do this trade. Kuznetsov is more valuable to us than Gaudreau and you want us to add our first for next year and our best RHD on an amazing contract? There’s no chance.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:33 a.m.
    Quoting: brady_t12
    No chance in hell the caps do this trade. Kuznetsov is more valuable to us than Gaudreau and you want us to add our first for next year and our best RHD on an amazing contract? There’s no chance.

Just unsure whether the cap ceiling makes Kuz a cap asset or liability. If the Krakken take him, does Washington have to throw in a pick? I think so. So that’s true on the trade market also… possibly.

Also possible Kuz is still valued by a team out there. Gaudreau is honestly more of a cap matching piece than an asset to WSH in this deal. But if I’m WSH I’d rather have Gaudreau than Monahan.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:41 a.m.
    Fantasy Hockey Pro
    Just unsure whether the cap ceiling makes Kuz a cap asset or liability. If the Krakken take him, does Washington have to throw in a pick? I think so. So that’s true on the trade market also… possibly.

Also possible Kuz is still valued by a team out there. Gaudreau is honestly more of a cap matching piece than an asset to WSH in this deal. But if I’m WSH I’d rather have Gaudreau than Monahan.

Uhh there’s absolutely zero chance the caps would add a pick for Seattle to take Kuznetsov. Seattle would be paying us to expose Kuzy. It’s extremely easy to stay under the cap with Kuznetsov on the team even having to re-sign ovechkin and samsonov. We have no need to move him unless we get fair value for him.

I’m not trying to be a dick right now and I know I may be coming across like one (and I’m sorry if I am), but I’m just very tired of everyone on this site acting like Kuznetsov has negative value when he is a high end 2nd line center or an average first line center who had a bad season because he was affected by COVID. We saw what COVID did to Zibanejad. Kuznetsov likely had lingering problems with conditioning.

Not to mention he spent the prior two seasons under an incredibly uninspiring and incompetent head coach in Reirden. It’s no coincidence that Kuznetsov’s numbers went down after the cup run and trotz leaving. And once laviolette had a chance to work with Kuzy, we saw him get red hot.

Kuznetsov’s value is low due to recent circumstances, but the caps would be dumb to trade him for anything less than truly fair value. And they can afford to hold onto him just fine. And he definitely does not have negative value even in a flat cap league.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 2:23 a.m.
    Quoting: brady_t12
    Uhh there’s absolutely zero chance the caps would add a pick for Seattle to take Kuznetsov. Seattle would be paying us to expose Kuzy. It’s extremely easy to stay under the cap with Kuznetsov on the team even having to re-sign ovechkin and samsonov. We have no need to move him unless we get fair value for him.

I’m not trying to be a dick right now and I know I may be coming across like one (and I’m sorry if I am), but I’m just very tired of everyone on this site acting like Kuznetsov has negative value when he is a high end 2nd line center or an average first line center who had a bad season because he was affected by COVID. We saw what COVID did to Zibanejad. Kuznetsov likely had lingering problems with conditioning.

Not to mention he spent the prior two seasons under an incredibly uninspiring and incompetent head coach in Reirden. It’s no coincidence that Kuznetsov’s numbers went down after the cup run and trotz leaving. And once laviolette had a chance to work with Kuzy, we saw him get red hot.

Kuznetsov’s value is low due to recent circumstances, but the caps would be dumb to trade him for anything less than truly fair value. And they can afford to hold onto him just fine. And he definitely does not have negative value even in a flat cap league.

I get the frustration as a Flames fan getting terrible reactions for our players. Before literally a week ago I would have thought similarly to you and would totally get BM not trading him unless it is for value.

But there’s something to a veteran team throwing away a poor fit asset that sometimes just seems to work out fine. And I do think if they trade Kuz this summer, it is at around liability level.

… so it’s more likely he stays as you point out. The cap space isn’t all that valuable to WSH. Unless the team friendly UFA market is part of why a Kuz deal is rushed.

There are about ten teams in the league that would treat Kuz similarly to the JT Miller trade.

I just think it’s a good opportunity for rival GMs to squeeze because this appears to be a good summer to move Kuz. If you are trying to take as many shots as possible with OV.
    brady_t12 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
    It’s all about W to C. This is simply a roster construction issue. You can’t keep Buch and Kreider (and the obvious wingers Panerin, Kakko, Lafrein, Kravtsov etc)

Both Strome and Monny are short term solutions in the top six. Unfortunately all that great talent is getting paid in two to three years.

Buch’ stats and value to other GMs are held up from his great linemates and opportunity. That contract is a sweet one on a value basis, but like a Jason Zucker or Phil Kessell, you can only have so many high paid wingers.

My primary target with Buch this off-season would be a mature C that is signed for three years and young enough to resign. Monny is certainly not the ideal target but I could see CD doing it late summer if he fanned on other targets. Big off-season for NYR.

They absolutely can keep Buch and all their other wingers for the next 2 years minimum. You have no logic in saying that they should give up one of their top scorers (and top penalty killer) for a guy that would MAYBE be the third best center on the team. You’re essentially saying that they would make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

Last I checked teams like Vegas have over $30M tied up in their top 6 wingers and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:55 a.m.
    Quoting: aspina25
    They absolutely can keep Buch and all their other wingers for the next 2 years minimum. You have no logic in saying that they should give up one of their top scorers (and top penalty killer) for a guy that would MAYBE be the third best center on the team. You’re essentially saying that they would make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

Last I checked teams like Vegas have over $30M tied up in their top 6 wingers and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

You’ve got a team looking to make a major change to accelerate the rebuild. The only spot they need to upgrade is adding a second 1C. The only clear candidate in a player for player type deal is Buch. I’m not saying everything you’re saying isn’t correct. But to say you want Buch for two more years of a six year deal clearly puts NYR at risk of being a future TBL and having too many contracts to solve.

I think Buch is at his ceiling and it is the perfect time to trade him.

Get out from your security blanket and get those young wingers more playing time.

Monahan has been terrible the past two years. He’s not an ideal target. But if he’s the only target available in August I could absolutely see him being “paid up” for by CD. These next two years are critical.

The way you talk about Buch maybe you would be more comfortable trading Kakko for a short term solution at C. Or maybe something like Kakko for Patrick plus is down your alley. I’d rather sell high on Buch and hold the young wingers.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
    Buch > Monahan
    aspina25 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.
    You’ve got a team looking to make a major change to accelerate the rebuild. The only spot they need to upgrade is adding a second 1C. The only clear candidate in a player for player type deal is Buch. I’m not saying everything you’re saying isn’t correct. But to say you want Buch for two more years of a six year deal clearly puts NYR at risk of being a future TBL and having too many contracts to solve.

I think Buch is at his ceiling and it is the perfect time to trade him.

Get out from your security blanket and get those young wingers more playing time.

Monahan has been terrible the past two years. He’s not an ideal target. But if he’s the only target available in August I could absolutely see him being “paid up” for by CD. These next two years are critical.

The way you talk about Buch maybe you would be more comfortable trading Kakko for a short term solution at C. Or maybe something like Kakko for Patrick plus is down your alley. I’d rather sell high on Buch and hold the young wingers.

Monahan is not a 1C. He’s wildly overrated in your eyes and put up very moderate numbers while playing 92% of his minutes with Gaudreau. Even without having to give up assets for him, I still take Strome over him at 2C most of the time. Yes, the Rangers want to make a big splash and add a top center. Buch could very much be going the other way in that deal, but he sure as **** isn’t being traded so they can downgrade at 2C and lose a major factor of their top 5 PK.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll