Forums/Armchair-GM

Analytics go brrrr

Created by: MelonVK
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 18, 2021
Published: Jun. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't think people understand the massive difference in impact between Aho and Eichel. I think I heard something regarding the Canes being interested, and it would shock me if an analytics heavy team like themselves wouldn't attempt something like this.

Of course the trade could look different, but I figured getting two high end roster players back would be ideal for Buffalo - while still obtaining some picks for the trouble. A bit more plug-and-play over this type of trade than trying another rebuilding move.

Carolina uses the remaining cap space to sign the absolutely incredible Dougie, along with a Svechnikov ready to explode in terms of production to long term contracts.

All of the signed FA's have some strong underlying impacts in at least either defensive or offensive gameplay. Tatar's ice-tilting impact stretches far beyond his scoring one, so I think a smart team like the Canes could see the potential there. Leivo is a really strong 2-way player that could be signed as a 4th-liner but I think it'd be hard to keep him there.
Nemeth is basically a ME-Vlasic type who just hasn't gotten the same amount of recognition. Great defensive dfenseman.

Goalie situation is a bit of a questionmark, but worst case you can trade for a solid backup/1B from Seattle who will probably have a handful.

I think this team is better than whatever Tampa will look like after they no longer can circumvent the cap like crazy. Let me know why you think I'm wrong down below!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,250,000
3$3,250,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
6$6,850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,750,000
2$1,500,000
4$5,250,000
2$1,000,000
2$3,000,000
2$1,350,000
2$1,350,000
2$1,350,000
Trades
CAR
  1. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (MIN)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (MIN)
CAR
BUF
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Included in the 3-way trade
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,607,500$0$1,037,500$892,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,250,000$8,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,750,000$8,750,000
RD
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
$3,250,000$3,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 18, 2021 at 6:22 a.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Buffalo would take that and laugh all the way
Chabotrrorr liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 6:59 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: DougieGilmour
Buffalo would take that and laugh all the way

Laugh all the way to downgrading both at C and W. Isolated numbers has Aho as barely above average but just being handed opportunity, while Eichel dominates opposition. Teräväinen v Reinhart is closer.

But yeah, that's why I created this trade - I think it's pretty enticing for the Sabres. But in reality, the Canes improved heavily after the arrivals of Dougie, Svechnikov and Niederreiter. Aho and TT has much less to do with their recent success.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 7:10 a.m.
popcorn
Jun. 18, 2021 at 7:11 a.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Quoting: MelonVK
Laugh all the way to downgrading both at C and W. Isolated numbers has Aho as barely above average but just being handed opportunity, while Eichel dominates opposition. Teräväinen v Reinhart is closer.

But yeah, that's why I created this trade - I think it's pretty enticing for the Sabres. But in reality, the Canes improved heavily after the arrivals of Dougie, Svechnikov and Niederreiter. Aho and TT has much less to do with their recent success.

Aho is one of the best centres in the league. He’s definitely better than Eichel right now. TT and Reinhart is even worse for Carolina. Dougie isn’t staying there
Jun. 18, 2021 at 7:19 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: DougieGilmour
Aho is one of the best centres in the league. He’s definitely better than Eichel right now. TT and Reinhart is even worse for Carolina. Dougie isn’t staying there

You're not saying why... Is it because Carolina is more successful? Because I'll argue they'll be more successful with Eichel than Aho.
Is it because of points or something? Because the entire Carolina team provides great support for Aho, he gets amazing opportunities, he plays with one of the sneaky best wingers in the league in Svechnikov etc. Eichels isolated numbers blow Ahos out of the water. Game planning vs the Sabres is all about Eichel while Aho is on one of three good lines for the Canes.

Do you think all good teams consist of only good players, and all bad teams of bad players only or something?

I don't know why you're talkinag about Dougie leaving when I only tried to help you track the success of the Canes. I'm saying Dougie was one of three players to really elevate them into new territory. Aho didn't do that.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:14 a.m.
This is ridiculous.

The point of CAR trading for Eichel would be to have Aho play behind him.

You also have them trading one of their best value contracts in Teravainen for an RFA they end up trading away for scraps, and they replace Reinhart/Teravainen with Tatar????

Congratulations, you’ve made a playoff team significantly worse.
SaskCanesFan liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:51 a.m.
Wow great job at making us worse
Jun. 18, 2021 at 9:13 a.m.
This went exactly as i expected.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 9:39 a.m.

Aho switching from winger to 1C has significantly more to do with the Canes recent success than you give it credit for.
SaskCanesFan liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Canes2028
Aho switching from winger to 1C has significantly more to do with the Canes recent success than you give it credit for.

If anything because it bumped Svechnikov up the lineup.

Quoting: spockrock
This is ridiculous.

The point of CAR trading for Eichel would be to have Aho play behind him.

You also have them trading one of their best value contracts in Teravainen for an RFA they end up trading away for scraps, and they replace Reinhart/Teravainen with Tatar????

Congratulations, you’ve made a playoff team significantly worse.

Quoting: ecupirate07
Wow great job at making us worse

Can you explain to me then why Aho's isolated numbers are so unimpressive? Teräväinen and Aho are given some pretty good opportunities, and they're good power players, but that's also less valuable than good 5on5 players. It's not that either are bad, it's that Eichel is one of the best players in the league and neither Aho or Teräväinen come close to that.

Can anyone just give me a number, or a reason, anything as to *why*? Instead of just defaulting to *is*. You're not helping me change me mind if your arguments are "this is just the case".
Jun. 18, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.

Can you explain to me then why Aho's isolated numbers are so unimpressive? Teräväinen and Aho are given some pretty good opportunities, and they're good power players, but that's also less valuable than good 5on5 players. It's not that either are bad, it's that Eichel is one of the best players in the league and neither Aho or Teräväinen come close to that.

Can anyone just give me a number, or a reason, anything as to *why*? Instead of just defaulting to *is*. You're not helping me change me mind if your arguments are "this is just the case".

Aho was moved to center before Svech was in the lineup. Before Svech was drafted even. Svech has played twice as much without Aho as with. Aho’s numbers aren’t inflated because of a sneaky Svech. Lets squash that false narrative. Aho’s 5v5 numbers would be higher if RBA actually played our top 3 together regularly instead of spreading out the offense.

Eichel may be better than Aho but downgrading from Turbo to Tatar erased everything you gained. Then we add more 4th liners we don’t need and those defensive pairings further drag us down.

Where did Bean go?

In the end, we aren’t trading Aho for Eichel. Better ISO numbers or not, Aho is our superstar and we aren’t trading him. We know we have a winner in Aho.
SaskCanesFan liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 10:08 a.m.

Well that's just not true. Svech played 3rd line pretty much all of his rookie year.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 10:34 a.m.
Watches no games
Aho was moved to center before Svech was in the lineup. Before Svech was drafted even. Svech has played twice as much without Aho as with. Aho’s numbers aren’t inflated because of a sneaky Svech. Lets squash that false narrative. Aho’s 5v5 numbers would be higher if RBA actually played our top 3 together regularly instead of spreading out the offense.

Eichel may be better than Aho but downgrading from Turbo to Tatar erased everything you gained. Then we add more 4th liners we don’t need and those defensive pairings further drag us down.

Where did Bean go?

In the end, we aren’t trading Aho for Eichel. Better ISO numbers or not, Aho is our superstar and we aren’t trading him. We know we have a winner in Aho.

You can sign Bean, idc. Tatar has great underlying numbers but there's a disconnect in talent on that Mtl team. Their best players - him, Gallagher and Toffoli all play on the wing, while their best C is mostly skilled defensively. All he needs on a line a competent C and some finishing talent and you'll see how much of an underpayment 5 mil is. He's producing way more offense out of way less opportunity than TT.

But sure, revert to "superstar" when Eichel still has more of that quality as well. In the end people, especially on this board, will always overvalue players on their own team I guess.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 10:46 a.m.
You can sign Bean, idc. Tatar has great underlying numbers but there's a disconnect in talent on that Mtl team. Their best players - him, Gallagher and Toffoli all play on the wing, while their best C is mostly skilled defensively. All he needs on a line a competent C and some finishing talent and you'll see how much of an underpayment 5 mil is. He's producing way more offense out of way less opportunity than TT.

But sure, revert to "superstar" when Eichel still has more of that quality as well. In the end people, especially on this board, will always overvalue players on their own team I guess.

Tatar is a downgrade defensively over Turbo by a decent margin. Turbo’s underlying numbers are great. He also makes everyone underlying numbers better when out there on the ice. Turbo is also a 200 foot, all situations player. Tatar isn’t.

Will I overvalue Aho, iofcourse. He fits the team culture, fits the teams playing style, and is our 1C. We can’t say Eichel would meet the 1st two so, I will hold Aho to a higher regard. Would i add Eichel? Sure but, Aho isn’t included in the deal.
SaskCanesFan liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
Watches no games
Tatar is a downgrade defensively over Turbo by a decent margin. Turbo’s underlying numbers are great. He also makes everyone underlying numbers better when out there on the ice. Turbo is also a 200 foot, all situations player. Tatar isn’t.

Will I overvalue Aho, iofcourse. He fits the team culture, fits the teams playing style, and is our 1C. We can’t say Eichel would meet the 1st two so, I will hold Aho to a higher regard. Would i add Eichel? Sure but, Aho isn’t included in the deal.

Teräväinen can't improve other peoples isolated numbers, then they wouldn't be isolated. Tatar actually reduces isolated shots in his own direction more than TT, and is incredible going forward. Teuvo is better on the power play which drives a lot of his offense and that's also the only situation I'd play him over Tatar. What's annoying is, that if this happened and instead Tatar was playing for your favorite team, I believe you'd easily make a 180 in favor of my argument. And the same goes for Eichel. Idk, I just think it's weird to evaluate players with your favorite team in mind.

If someone offered my Eichel for Pastrnak I'd just take it. It sucks to lose Pasta - a guy I for one thing think is hilarious, but also an incredibly talented and important player on the Bruins roster, but Eichel is just better.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 12:01 p.m.
Teräväinen can't improve other peoples isolated numbers, then they wouldn't be isolated. Tatar actually reduces isolated shots in his own direction more than TT, and is incredible going forward. Teuvo is better on the power play which drives a lot of his offense and that's also the only situation I'd play him over Tatar. What's annoying is, that if this happened and instead Tatar was playing for your favorite team, I believe you'd easily make a 180 in favor of my argument. And the same goes for Eichel. Idk, I just think it's weird to evaluate players with your favorite team in mind.

If someone offered my Eichel for Pastrnak I'd just take it. It sucks to lose Pasta - a guy I for one thing think is hilarious, but also an incredibly talented and important player on the Bruins roster, but Eichel is just better.

I didn’t say isolated numbers did I? I said underlying numbers because he does improve everyone’s xGA, xGf, HD chances for and against, etc. I don’t look at just iso because hockey isn’t an individual sport or really one that one individual makes a huge difference (ie basketball).

Teuvo is excellent on the PK as well and Tatar isn’t trusted in those situations. Again Turbo is better all around. If someone holds Tatar higher than Teuvo then that is on them. Teuvo is easily a better player all the way around and it isn’t close.

The original post wasn’t Aho for Eichel so your Pastarnak argument is moot. Aho is a 1C and the improvement is marginal. Pastarnak is a winger and centers hold a higher value. Of course you do that move.
SaskCanesFan liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 7:38 p.m.
I mean, if you want to argue that Eichel is worth the premium over Aho, go for it. Not sure I agree with you, but I can see the argument. Though it seems like you're leaning heavily on isolated impact as if its 100% be all end all foolproof stat. That seems to be an issue with a lot of people who lean heavily into advanced stats, picking and choosing one area and ignoring everything else. I'm not a pure eye test guy by any means, but hockey is hard to track and advanced stats are still in the early stages. If you want a competing number, I can pull up GSVA from Dom's Athletic model. I don't know how often he published updated numbers, so I'll go off his season previews. He's got Eichel and Aho even at 3.1 each. Interestingly he also has Teravainen at 2.8 vs Tatar at 2.2. Is his model perfect? Nope. But neither are your isolated numbers, so pretending that Eichel for Aho and Tatar for Teravainen conclusively improves the team seems a bit overconfident in one stat.
OnlyBadDeals liked this.
Jun. 19, 2021 at 5:54 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: SaskCanesFan
I mean, if you want to argue that Eichel is worth the premium over Aho, go for it. Not sure I agree with you, but I can see the argument. Though it seems like you're leaning heavily on isolated impact as if its 100% be all end all foolproof stat. That seems to be an issue with a lot of people who lean heavily into advanced stats, picking and choosing one area and ignoring everything else. I'm not a pure eye test guy by any means, but hockey is hard to track and advanced stats are still in the early stages. If you want a competing number, I can pull up GSVA from Dom's Athletic model. I don't know how often he published updated numbers, so I'll go off his season previews. He's got Eichel and Aho even at 3.1 each. Interestingly he also has Teravainen at 2.8 vs Tatar at 2.2. Is his model perfect? Nope. But neither are your isolated numbers, so pretending that Eichel for Aho and Tatar for Teravainen conclusively improves the team seems a bit overconfident in one stat.

This is annoying, cause I'm more than 99% Dom would agree with me. I'm talking about isolated as in expected goals forward and against based on shot and shooting impacts. This is ass all-encapsulating as we get. Dom's GSVA is really good for predicting what type of scoring to expect from a player on a specific team, but it falls appart when opportunity and team mates shift. That's why I lean on a more sophisticated model when we're talking about trading players. If you just wanted me to predict the types of individual seasons Eichel and Aho would have on their current respective teams, I think GSVA is a great method. And I'm not talking about one stat, I don't know where you get that idea.
Jun. 19, 2021 at 6:01 a.m.
Watches no games
I didn’t say isolated numbers did I? I said underlying numbers because he does improve everyone’s xGA, xGf, HD chances for and against, etc. I don’t look at just iso because hockey isn’t an individual sport or really one that one individual makes a huge difference (ie basketball).

Teuvo is excellent on the PK as well and Tatar isn’t trusted in those situations. Again Turbo is better all around. If someone holds Tatar higher than Teuvo then that is on them. Teuvo is easily a better player all the way around and it isn’t close.

The original post wasn’t Aho for Eichel so your Pastarnak argument is moot. Aho is a 1C and the improvement is marginal. Pastarnak is a winger and centers hold a higher value. Of course you do that move.

If you don't isolate the numbers you have no perception of how they will change if you, as in this instance, swap teams of players.

There's no substance in the second sentence.

Not only is this incredibly incorrect - why would we ever care about position over total impact, but it's also missing my point.
If someone provides a set value, why would we care about where it comes from? And even if more value was provided from the C position you're making my argument easier, cause then it'd be even more valuable to provide equal value from the wing.

I chose the example cause he's also a young player on a cheaper contract than Eichel who scores a lot of goals/points. Now, I think Pasta is a better player than Aho, and he's a great dude playing on the team I like to watch, but I'm saying I'd still trade him for Eichel without thinking twice. Because at the end of the day we should want better hockey players rather than the ones we are comfortable with already having on our teams.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll