Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 5, 2021
Published: Dec. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
MTL
  1. Boqvist, Jesper
Additional Details:
Boqvist is a solid project, and more importantly can play centre. Looks.to be a solid 3rd line player if given the opportunity which very clearly isn't coming in New Jersey. I am.sure there are a lot of people that won't like this. But really, what is Kulak going to garner for a pick?

Sooner get a proven commodity and take a risk here than take a 5th
NJD
  1. Kulak, Brett
Additional Details:
The Devils are in the mix, and there is reason to think they may make a push. They have the foward depth, but need a legit 7th D. Enter an effective and versatile Kulak, who realistically could be resigned as a 6th-7th D as this team takes shape.
MTL
  1. Noel, Serron
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Noel is a bit of a project, but I think has all the tools to be a top 9 NHLer. Deal adds more organizational depth to the forward position, which is a theme here, as it is lacking.

The Panthers pick up a 3rd this year (when the begin selecting) for a 2nd in 2022-23, improving draft position for the Habs.
FLA
  1. Chiarot, Ben
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
The Cats get an excellent rental here, who can play top 4 with some edge. Will likely be in the bottom pairing, but, this can allow the Panthers to roll 3 D units if they choose. A move that gives Florida great blueline depth moving into the playoffs.
MTL
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Perreault, Mathieu
Additional Details:
Savy forward, bottom 6 forward depth.for a playoff run
MTL
  1. 2023 4th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Paquette, Cédric
Additional Details:
Flames, I think, will look for a bottom 6 centre for a deep run, so I suspect they will do something like this in the cheap.
MTL
  1. Bourque, Mavrik
  2. Khudobin, Anton
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Khudobin is eating valuable capnspace that Dallas will need to make a playoff push - which given who they have coming off the books, I suspect Jim Nill will be very aggressive. Having said that, Habs take on Khodobin so that Dallas has the room.to pick up Hoffman - who will give them the offensive LW in the top 9 they lack, for this season and beyond.

The cost of taking Khodobin on is Bourque (there were a couple options here), but I opted to continue to add the the forward depth in the Habs system.

The 2nd rounder (which would settle for a 3rd I suppose) is for Hoffman.
DAL
  1. Hoffman, Mike
Additional Details:
Habs don't need Khodobin, but with only one year left beyond this, can either eat cap to flip him, or buy him out (minimal cost on the cap hit).

The real pick up here is Bourque, a centre with top 6 upside. As mentioned, there were other options (Harley), buy opted to continue building the organizational depth at forward, as the D depth is in better shape.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$62,616,727$597,561$1,557,500$18,883,273
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
C
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$761,250$761,250
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 14, 2021 at 7:19 a.m.
What in tarnation
DAL declines easily. Dumping Khudobin should not cost us 1st+2nd rounder, and if he had interest for Hoffman we would've signed him as free agent. DAL get absolutely shafted here. It's like MTL trading Allen+Guhle+2nd for Faksa.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 7:37 a.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
DAL declines easily. Dumping Khudobin should not cost us 1st+2nd rounder, and if he had interest for Hoffman we would've signed him as free agent. DAL get absolutely shafted here. It's like MTL trading Allen+Guhle+2nd for Faksa.

Gonna disagree here.

Historically Nill has been aggressive when Dallas is in the hunt. Khodobin's contract is really preventing them from grabbing that solid third line piece to complete the top 9. Having said that, the Stars have a number of layers coming off the books, which may indicate this is their last kick at this.

Yes, Nill could have signed Hoffman, but I think there was a thought process that Kivranta was going to fill the void. There a hole in that top 9.

Now, if you don't like this deal because, as I said, this is the Stars last kick at this beforeRadulov, Pavelka and Kilngberg come off the books, ushering in a rebuild - that I get. But, it isn't Nill historically.

Maybe the 2nd is too much. Maybe. But Hoffman is still a 50-60 point player. Cap is tight. So is the western competition. Given what the price point has been for cap dumps in the past, I don't see this as to far off base.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 7:39 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
I think Devils rather do a prospect-prospect swap for Boqvist
They already have a 7D in Jaros
A RHD prospect that needs a change of scenery would be the ideal swap
Erkadurk347 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 7:51 a.m.
Jinx god
If Dallas were to trade Bourque I'd really rather it be someone like Hertl or Miller than Hoffman.
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
I think Devils rather do a prospect-prospect swap for Boqvist
They already have a 7D in Jaros
A RHD prospect that needs a change of scenery would be the ideal swap

Solid feedback. Thanks!
Devil liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:09 a.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
If Dallas were to trade Bourque I'd really rather it be someone like Hertl or Miller than Hoffman.

I understand that point, but to make either of those guys work, Stars need to move Khodobin...... which at that point could become a Bourque, a 1st+.

If you read my thoughts process, Harley was also a target, maybe that would make more sense. I dunno.

I just don't see Nill being idle. He is going to do something big for a push, and it has to involve Khodobin.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:14 a.m.
Evans truther
If Chiarot's deal for a prospect and pick I'd much rather have guys like Smilanic or Hepo. Also mayber Chiarots isn't worth a first round pick good christ he's worth more than a project and a pick swap (Especially with the differed year).
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:20 a.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
If Chiarot's deal for a prospect and pick I'd much rather have guys like Smilanic or Hepo. Also mayber Chiarots isn't worth a first round pick good christ he's worth more than a project and a pick swap (Especially with the differed year).

I looked seriously at Heponiemi as a target, and given where the Cats are at, ikely could be had. But Noel is actually a solid prospect, and given the depth on the right side, worth waiting. Think Joel Armia is what I see him being. Hepo's size concerns me (yes... it's a new NHL), but the dude is super small.

As for Chariot's value, alone, he tops out at a 2nd. The pick swap is really making up for landing much needed forward depth for the organization.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:37 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: swinny
Gonna disagree here.

Historically Nill has been aggressive when Dallas is in the hunt. Khodobin's contract is really preventing them from grabbing that solid third line piece to complete the top 9. Having said that, the Stars have a number of layers coming off the books, which may indicate this is their last kick at this.

Yes, Nill could have signed Hoffman, but I think there was a thought process that Kivranta was going to fill the void. There a hole in that top 9.

Now, if you don't like this deal because, as I said, this is the Stars last kick at this beforeRadulov, Pavelka and Kilngberg come off the books, ushering in a rebuild - that I get. But, it isn't Nill historically.

Maybe the 2nd is too much. Maybe. But Hoffman is still a 50-60 point player. Cap is tight. So is the western competition. Given what the price point has been for cap dumps in the past, I don't see this as to far off base.

Historically Nill is a GM dealing with picks over prospects, should he strengthen the team. He will never trade one of our top prospects like Bourque to B tier strengthening whose best assets are in PP, which is far from Stars' biggest weakness. I'd understand him being after Hoffman if he was in similar situation like for instance Zuccarello was, with one year left, trading some (now banned) conditional picks for him.

Also Dobby is stuck in AHL if no one claims him off waivers. With Bishop retiring we don't have an urgent need to shed that contract.
EsoYeezus69 and TheMooterus liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:47 a.m.
Historically Nill is a GM dealing with picks over prospects, should he strengthen the team. He will never trade one of our top prospects like Bourque to B tier strengthening whose best assets are in PP, which is far from Stars' biggest weakness. I'd understand him being after Hoffman if he was in similar situation like for instance Zuccarello was, with one year left, trading some (now banned) conditional picks for him.

Also Dobby is stuck in AHL if no one claims him off waivers. With Bishop retiring we don't have an urgent need to shed that contract.

Still $2.5 million on the ole cap hit.

OK, I like expiring contracts as much as the next guy.

But Nill's acquisition of Zucc was a 2nd and a 3rd. If we use that as a basis on Hoffman, whose production is similar, then the proposed deal is pretty bang on.

I get not wanting to move a top prospect. Who does? But it's the saying, "gotta pay to play".

Any real upgrade Nill is going to try and get (and we both know he likely does), Dobby will likely be involved to clear that space in one fashion or another, which if Nill is only willing to move picks, is going to be more damaging than moving a pick and prospect.

Now honestly, I was dancing around either Bourque or Harley..... either or fits the Habs needs. And we can argue in moving Harley, the Stars are dealing a bit more from a position of strength.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:56 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: swinny
Still $2.5 million on the ole cap hit.

OK, I like expiring contracts as much as the next guy.

But Nill's acquisition of Zucc was a 2nd and a 3rd. If we use that as a basis on Hoffman, whose production is similar, then the proposed deal is pretty bang on.

I get not wanting to move a top prospect. Who does? But it's the saying, "gotta pay to play".

Any real upgrade Nill is going to try and get (and we both know he likely does), Dobby will likely be involved to clear that space in one fashion or another, which if Nill is only willing to move picks, is going to be more damaging than moving a pick and prospect.

Now honestly, I was dancing around either Bourque or Harley..... either or fits the Habs needs. And we can argue in moving Harley, the Stars are dealing a bit more from a position of strength.

It's not. 2nd+3rd is a far cry from Bourque or Harley. Those guys are our top prospects, closer to the range of 1st+2nd. Zero chance they'll get moved for a player Stars do not need.

Most I'd offer for Hoffman is Dobby+2nd. It's a take it or leave it deal, Stars need neither of the players as of right now. I'd much rather look at the actual rental market to get a more affordable deal, especially with Robertson's and Klinberg's contracts expiring. Like Kessel for instance.
mokumboi and TheMooterus liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
It's not. 2nd+3rd is a far cry from Bourque or Harley. Those guys are our top prospects, closer to the range of 1st+2nd. Zero chance they'll get moved for a player Stars do not need.

Most I'd offer for Hoffman is Dobby+2nd. It's a take it or leave it deal, Stars need neither of the players as of right now. I'd much rather look at the actual rental market to get a more affordable deal, especially with Robertson's and Klinberg's contracts expiring. Like Kessel for instance.

Well, we can agree we know Nill is going to pull something off.

And Khodobin's contract can be swapped with Kessel's.

I almost like that idea lol.

Can't say I didn't try, but Kessel...... yeah I can see that.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 9:09 a.m.
mokumboi
Dallas is not trading Bourque+ for Hoffman, a 32 year old one-trick pony (only worthwhile on the PP) signed to a 3x4.5M.
TheMooterus liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
Guhle, Kulak, & a 2022 2nd for Alexander Radulov

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll