SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

If the Jets are out

Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 21, 2021
Published: Dec. 21, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What do you guys think Demelo would cost?

He doesn't seem to be a name that's being thrown around a ton as a potential acquisition, but he might be my personal #1 RD target, all things considered.

Between the relatively affordable cap hit that could probably be brought down a bit lower if need be, the decent term, the likely trade price (unless my estimate is way off base), the fact that he is conceivably the odd man out in WPG this offseason - though a coaching change could possibly sway that, and his style of play which I personally think would fit well with the Leafs... I think this could sneakily be a really good move for Toronto.
Trades
WPG
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Probably a later pick or a lower tier prospect added on.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,964,283$0$400,000$5,535,717
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$834,167$834,167
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 21, 2021 at 8:30 p.m.
I think DeMelo would be a good pickup if he is available. No idea what his value would be , but a good idea
Dec. 21, 2021 at 8:57 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
DeMelo is likely a cap casualty in the off-season anyway and if they can recoup a 3rd round pick which is what they gave for him then they'd maybe do it.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Trad Breliving
I’m gonna have to decline from the Leafs side.

There are cheaper (contract wise) options available.

Plus, DeMelo will likely be almost given away this offseason, dur to cap.
If we want him so bad, might as well wait.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
wpg
Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart

more teams than the leafs would be interested in him im sure, by "given away" he'll go to the highest bidder

but the question i got is
why wait when ure going in for the cup?
i dont get it
Dec. 21, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I like the player but does not fit in long term with the Leafs. Next year is going to be really really tight.

If they are able to add a 3mil player I really hope it will be a top 6 fwd. There will be cheaper options (contract wise) that can provide the same value as DeMelo.
palhal liked this.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart

Might be cheaper options, but they're also probably not as good and/or don't carry the same term as Demelo, which I view as a huge plus. I don't think it'd be that hard to find a team to knock DD's price tag down a bit either.

Also, I don't think you can expect a serviceable RHD to be "given away". Even if Winnipeg isn't in the most favorable position when it comes to dealing him, I expect if they just let it be known around the league that he's up for grabs, they'd get a few calls.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 10:19 p.m.
Edited Dec. 21, 2021 at 10:31 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I like the player but does not fit in long term with the Leafs. Next year is going to be really really tight.

If they are able to add a 3mil player I really hope it will be a top 6 fwd. There will be cheaper options (contract wise) that can provide the same value as DeMelo.

I'd like to add a top-6 fwd as well (preferably a C/W), but I disagree that Demelo can't fit long-term with the Leafs. It'd be tough, yes, but next year is going to be tight regardless. Even if you have to pay extra to get a team to eat some of that money, I'd be more than willing to do that (so long as the price isn't outrageous) because - and maybe I'm being a bit bullish on Demelo, but I really like that player - it stabilizes the D-core for the next few years (so long as Muzzin can start pulling his weight again) and bridges a pretty good gap for the young guys to develop and take the next step.

If I'm looking at adding a top-4 RD at the deadline, Demelo is near the top of my list.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
I don't see the Jets moving him at the TDL even if they are out, but if they did they would probably just go with the highest bidder, which would likely be more than a 3rd. However, he isn't a rental.
Dec. 21, 2021 at 11:10 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I'd like to add a top-6 fwd as well (preferably a C/W), but I disagree that Demelo can't fit long-term with the Leafs. It'd be tough, yes, but next year is going to be tight regardless. Even if you have to pay extra to get a team to eat some of that money, I'd be more than willing to do that (so long as the price isn't outrageous) because - and maybe I'm being a bit bullish on Demelo, but I really like that player - it stabilizes the D-core for the next few years (so long as Muzzin can start pulling his weight again) and bridges a pretty good gap for the young guys to develop and take the next step.

If I'm looking at adding a top-4 RD at the deadline, Demelo is near the top of my list.

You’d effectively be saying goodbye to Campbell. Which for me, is an absolute priority to resign next year. There is too many moving pieces to add DeMelo’s contract. Who are you trading to fit him in this year?

Again, not hating the player, it’s nice to see a different addition. But because of there cap constraints, IMO they will look to add a D on an expiring deal.

Wish list would be a top six LW (Miller, Smith, Domi, Johansson, Namestnikov), Dmen (Pysyk, Manson, Miller, McNabb, Hagg, Lauzon) and maybe another C (Appleton, Paul)
Dec. 21, 2021 at 11:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Seems like a waste of 3m in additional this year and next. Holl and Sandin are still on the team.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 3:12 a.m.
You’d effectively be saying goodbye to Campbell. Which for me, is an absolute priority to resign next year. There is too many moving pieces to add DeMelo’s contract. Who are you trading to fit him in this year?

Again, not hating the player, it’s nice to see a different addition. But because of there cap constraints, IMO they will look to add a D on an expiring deal.

Wish list would be a top six LW (Miller, Smith, Domi, Johansson, Namestnikov), Dmen (Pysyk, Manson, Miller, McNabb, Hagg, Lauzon) and maybe another C (Appleton, Paul)

I decided to mess around with it a bit and I've found the cost wouldn't be Campbell, it would be Kerfoot. That's where the 3 mil cap comes from with Robertson hopefully stepping in as an ELC top 6 winger.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
Marner rocks
Quoting: palhal
Seems like a waste of 3m in additional this year and next. Holl and Sandin are still on the team.

Do you think by next year Demelo will be better then Liljegren? Liljegren has passed Holl and Dermott on the depth chart, he also looks good with Muzzin. So what the leafs need is a big nasty 3rd pairing guy who sticks up for his team mates and plays the PK.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.

I just don't see that, to be be honest. That probably just stems from our own differing opinions on contract projections, but by my own estimation (and supposedly that of @Byrr) the Leafs would be able to keep Campbell. It would mean losing Kerfoot if the Leafs took on the whole 3mil, but as I've said, I'd be paying a bit of a premium to knock that tag down a bit because it means securing an effective right side on our defence for the foreseeable future, and would allow them to keep Kerfoot or do with him as they please, not as they must.

Side note: This is under the assumptions that - the cap still rises it's projected $1m this offseason (which I'm sure would have to be written in stone by the deadline) - and that none of the big 4 are moving.

I like some of the guys you have listed there; Pysyk I think would be a great cheap depth add, Domi I like, but that's probably a pretty expensive rental which I don't like, Miller's obviously the big ticket item there... nice to think about for sure, but idk how likely it is; if he's available I'm sure a lot of teams would be in on him, andif the Canucks keep chugging along and get back into the mix they probably don't even move him.

Either way, I'm looking forward to see what happens.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: Byrr
I decided to mess around with it a bit and I've found the cost wouldn't be Campbell, it would be Kerfoot. That's where the 3 mil cap comes from with Robertson hopefully stepping in as an ELC top 6 winger.

And ideally it wouldn't be $3m in cap. I'd be looking for retention from a 3rd party here. If his price comes down even just to break even with Holl, who is likely getting moved, they can probably make it work even keeping Kerfoot.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:46 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Edited Dec. 22, 2021 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: Byrr

I just don't see that, to be be honest. That probably just stems from our own differing opinions on contract projections, but by my own estimation (and supposedly that of Byrr) the Leafs would be able to keep Campbell. It would mean losing Kerfoot if the Leafs took on the whole 3mil, but as I've said, I'd be paying a bit of a premium to knock that tag down a bit because it means securing an effective right side on our defence for the foreseeable future, and would allow them to keep Kerfoot or do with him as they please, not as they must.

Side note: This is under the assumptions that - the cap still rises it's projected $1m this offseason (which I'm sure would have to be written in stone by the deadline) - and that none of the big 4 are moving.

I like some of the guys you have listed there; Pysyk I think would be a great cheap depth add, Domi I like, but that's probably a pretty expensive rental which I don't like, Miller's obviously the big ticket item there... nice to think about for sure, but idk how likely it is; if he's available I'm sure a lot of teams would be in on him, andif the Canucks keep chugging along and get back into the mix they probably don't even move him.

Either way, I'm looking forward to see what happens.

Absolutely Kerfoot needs to go, he has to just to fit in DeMelo this year either being part of the trade or somewhere else for picks/prospects to free up the cap. Which then doesn’t leave you the space to add a top 6 fwd which for me is the first priority after the past two playoffs (CLB, MTL) scoring has been the issue, not keeping the puck out of the net. Now I’m not saying they shouldn’t add a RD to play with Muzzin but not at 3.5mil, too rich for this team.

As for next year Campbell getting 4,850,000 seems like a fair number for everyone. All of Ritchie, Holl, Dermott, plus Kerfoot the year before would have to go while keeping Kase, Sandin, and Liljegren. Too many moving parts
Dec. 22, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
Absolutely Kerfoot needs to go, he has to just to fit in DeMelo this year either being part of the trade or somewhere else for picks/prospects to free up the cap. Which then doesn’t leave you the space to add a top 6 fwd which for me is the first priority after the past two playoffs (CLB, MTL) scoring has been the issue, not keeping the puck out of the net. Now I’m not saying they shouldn’t add a RD to play with Muzzin but not at 3.5mil, too rich for this team.

As for next year Campbell getting 4,850,000 seems like a fair number for everyone. All of Ritchie, Holl, Dermott, plus Kerfoot the year before would have to go while keeping Kase, Sandin, and Liljegren. Too mushy moving parts

Kerfoot doesn't have to go. As I've said numerous times if I'm getting Demelo, I'm after retention on that deal - likely from a 3rd party. I'm not adding a "$3.5mil" RD (it's $3m at full cap btw which, again, it wouldn't be full cap). Holl's gone for sure, but the money works.

Moves have to be made, yes, but that's allowed.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Kerfoot doesn't have to go. As I've said numerous times if I'm getting Demelo, I'm after retention on that deal - likely from a 3rd party. I'm not adding a "$3.5mil" RD (it's $3m at full cap btw which, again, it wouldn't be full cap). Holl's gone for sure, but the money works.

Moves have to be made, yes, but that's allowed.

With only 3 picks this year, I really don’t see them doing multiple trades with retention this year. If my wrong all good. DeMelo is a nice player, but the fit isn’t there.

Agree to disagree, all good.

Edit:

Show me how this works, build it out. Change my mind
Dec. 22, 2021 at 4:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: jaok3
Do you think by next year Demelo will be better then Liljegren? Liljegren has passed Holl and Dermott on the depth chart, he also looks good with Muzzin. So what the leafs need is a big nasty 3rd pairing guy who sticks up for his team mates and plays the PK.
I

I don't think Liljegren has passed Holl on the depth chart? Why would anyone think that? Holl still plays 20 minutes a night and eats minutes on the PK.
Actually the Leafs seven Dmen are quite capable. Liljegren might be better than DeMelo next year and certain will be more cost efficient.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll