If VAN goes full rebuild

Created by: Reason
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2022
Published: Feb. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
*This will obviously never happen.*

Here the team went full on rebuild. Basically any player with value that they don't think will be contributing to the team when they are actual contenders has been moved for assets that could be.
Vancouver ends up with six 1st's, three 2nd's and five 3rd's over the next two drafts which are supposed to be deep. They also end up with some solid prospects and hopefully have fixed the RD situation for the long term. Hopefully VAN would be able to flip some of the cap dumps (with retention) they took on at next years TDL when they will be in the final years of their contracts.
In two years time the team will have plenty of cap space with a ton of top prospects that can hopefully be major contributing pieces in the next 3-4 years when the team should finally be ready to contend.
The core pieces who will be there during their next window are still in place after this gut job.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$891,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Faber, Brock [Reserve List]
  2. 2022 1st round pick (LAK)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Faber would be a nice addition to Vancouver's future top 4.
LAK
  1. Boeser, Brock
Additional Details:
I previously proposed Boeser for Turcotte and a 1st, LA fans said value was fair but they were unwilling to be on from Turcotte. Here I have a less, though still good, prospect in Faber and have included a 2nd to make up for the difference between Faber and Turcotte.
LA is pretty well stocked at RD so they flip one for a still young proven NHL goal scorer.
VAN
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (TBL)
TBL
  1. Schenn, Luke
  2. 2022 7th round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
If I am trading Schenn at this TDL it has to be for at least a 3rd, he is a valuable depth D that is signed to a good contract for another year.
To try and balance the value the pick isn't until 2023 and Vancouver sends a 7th back.
VAN
  1. Iorio, Vincent
  2. McMichael, Connor
  3. 2022 1st round pick (WSH)
VAN
  1. Monahan, Sean
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
If Vancouver were to trade Horvat they would need someone to fill the 2C void for the remainder of the season, even if that player is better suited as a 3C. Hopefully at next years deadline they would be able to retain on Monahan and move him for an asset.
CGY
    Not sure how much truth there is to it, but I have seen other AGM's state that Monahan has negative value based on his current level of play and contract so a 2nd is added to clear the cap space.
    VAN
    1. 2022 7th round pick (BOS)
    BOS
    1. Hunt, Brad
    Additional Details:
    Anywhere
    VAN
    1. 2023 3rd round pick (PIT)
    Additional Details:
    I probably try and resign Halak for another year for anything less than a late 3rd.
    VAN
    1. 2022 3rd round pick (STL)
    Additional Details:
    Anywhere for a 3rd.
    STL
    1. Motte, Tyler
    Additional Details:
    There were insiders saying had the Canucks traded him at last years TDL he could have returned a late 1st or early second, and his numbers are on par with last seasons. Granted last year was an unpredictable draft and he had a year remaining on his contract.
    People will say that Motte wont get a 3rd, I think he gets a 3rd or a 4th, ill be optimistic.
    VGK
    1. Poolman, Tucker
    2. 2022 4th round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    I saw this the other day on a VGK AGM and saw that some Canucks's fans said they wouldn't do it. Not only would I do it, ill add a 4th.
    If the Canucks gutted their roster Dadonov is someone that could fill a top 6 void for the rest of this season and could probably be flipped at next years deadline if Vancouver retained.
    VAN
    1. Lundkvist, Nils
    2. Othmann, Brennan
    3. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
    NYR
    1. Miller, J.T.
    Additional Details:
    If Schneider isn't included this is my price. I have a feeling NYR fans will still be upset...
    VAN
    1. Drury, Jack
    2. Keane, Joey
    3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    I could be off on the value here...
    CAR
    1. Horvat, Bo
    Additional Details:
    Most of Carolina's centers can also play wing. Add two run with Horvat who plays his best when the games matter most.
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    26$81,500,000$68,949,991$648,780$2,832,500$12,550,009
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $7,350,000$7,350,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $6,375,000$6,375,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $863,333$863,333
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $925,000$925,000
    LW
    RFA - 5
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $7,260,000$7,260,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $800,000$800,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $875,833$875,833
    RD
    RFA - 5
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $809,166$809,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $891,000$891,000
    RD
    RFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,125,000$1,125,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 12:39 a.m.
    Brock Faber is not available under any circumstances.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 1:41 a.m.
    VAN is not moving Horvat, a full rebuild is not happening either, it will be a retool with the roster.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 1:53 a.m.
    CUP OR BUST
    if this happens im jumping ship
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:16 a.m.
    Quoting: PeterForsberg21
    VAN is not moving Horvat, a full rebuild is not happening either, it will be a retool with the roster.

Quoting: yeboi6
    if this happens im jumping ship

Not saying Horvat will be traded or that this is the path they should take. I thought it would be interesting to post something different from what every other person posts.

Let me ask you guys this though, do you think its likely (not possible because almost anything is possible) that with their roster, prospects, picks, and cap situation that they can do a retool that would allow them to compete for the cup (not playoffs) in the near future?
    I think it would be extremely difficult. I see them as having two core groups of players one of which will be out of their primes before the team is good enough to compete, in my opinion some of those players should be moved. Again not saying they should gut the team but this team is currently not in a good position to succeed now or in the near future.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:17 a.m.
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    Brock Faber is not available under any circumstances.

I disagree with that. LA has a lot of young depth at the RD position. Not saying they would necessary trade him in a Boeser package but I definitely think he's available, every player is for the right price.
    Knuckl3s and bliker liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:19 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Reason
    Not saying Horvat will be traded or that this is the path they should take. I thought it would be interesting to post something different from what every other person posts.

Let me ask you guys this though, do you think its likely (not possible because almost anything is possible) that with their roster, prospects, picks, and cap situation that they can do a retool that would allow them to compete for the cup (not playoffs) in the near future?
    I think it would be extremely difficult. I see them as having two core groups of players one of which will be out of their primes before the team is good enough to compete, in my opinion some of those players should be moved. Again not saying they should gut the team but this team is currently not in a good position to succeed now or in the near future.

This team doesn't need to do a full rebuild, period. We have a fringe playoff team as it is, not a cellar dweller. Clearing cap space won't be anywhere near as difficult as some people worry it will be
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:21 a.m.
    Banned
    I disagree with that. LA has a lot of young depth at the RD position. Not saying they would necessary trade him in a Boeser package but I definitely think he's available, every player is for the right price.

If Boeser is going to LA, conversation has to start with either Faber or Jordan Spence, assuming Brandt Clarke is off the table. Kings currently have Doughty, Roy, Sean Durzi, Austin Strand, and Sean Walker (currently injured) as it is
    Reason and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:26 a.m.
    Quoting: Knuckl3s
    This team doesn't need to do a full rebuild, period. We have a fringe playoff team as it is, not a cellar dweller. Clearing cap space won't be anywhere near as difficult as some people worry it will be

Vancouver is a fringe playoff team with a bare prospect cupboards and no 2nd round pick this year, how is the team going to transition from a fringe playoff team to a contender? They don't have the cap space to sign key free agents, and they don't have any impact prospects that can make the jump and contribute enough for them to make the jump. There is a massive difference between being a fringe playoff team and a cup contender.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:05 a.m.
    Banned
    Vancouver is a fringe playoff team with a bare prospect cupboards and no 2nd round pick this year, how is the team going to transition from a fringe playoff team to a contender? They don't have the cap space to sign key free agents, and they don't have any impact prospects that can make the jump and contribute enough for them to make the jump. There is a massive difference between being a fringe playoff team and a cup contender.

Can't you read? I just said it won't be hard for them to clear cap space to sign a couple of free agents. I know there is a massive difference, I can see this team being contenders in as little as two years down the road
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:55 a.m.
    Can't you read? I just said it won't be hard for them to clear cap space to sign a couple of free agents. I know there is a massive difference, I can see this team being contenders in as little as two years down the road

You don't become contenders through free agency. It's too expensive and free agents are usually on the verge of being over the hill. I think the Canucks can be very good in 3 years but it's not because they cleared cap space and signed free agents its because they make a few smart big moves over the next 18 months that position themselves well.
    mokumboi, OldNYIfan and Reason liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:57 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Mediumyeet
    You don't become contenders through free agency. It's too expensive and free agents are usually on the verge of being over the hill. I think the Canucks can be very good in 3 years but it's not because they cleared cap space and signed free agents its because they make a few smart big moves over the next 18 months that position themselves well.

I never said the key rests on free agency, but I do agree in that I believe their new management group can make some very smart moves to position the team well in the near future
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:58 a.m.
    mokumboi
    "There were insiders saying had the Canucks traded him at last years TDL he could have returned a late 1st or early second... "

Hahahahahahahaha WHAT???? Was this insiders or meth users?
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 7:28 a.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too

When people say "every player is available for the right price," they're usually using that phrase to justify their contention that the player is available at all, and by "right price," they really mean "for a favorable if not downright one-sided return." Is Faber available for Adam Fox? Of course. Is Faber available for Owen Power? Sure. Is Faber available for Montreal's top-2 protected 2022 first-round draft pick? Probably. But the Kings aren't going to get that for him. In the real world, the return for him is going to be close to an equivalent value. And they're not going to trade him for a theoretically equivalent value because management and the scouting staff have already settled on his value and thus believe that they know what they've got, whereas they don't know what they would have with the "equivalent value."

As to the trade proposed here, whether Los Angeles would include him in a trade for Boeser is a close call. Even up? Sure. With a second? Maybe. With our 2022 first? Doubtful. As shown? No chance. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think Rob Blake and the front office are eager to trade a first and a second in a deal for virtually ANY player. To me, a Boeser deal looks like a first, a roster player and a prospect, which is what most deals for an impact player and high-quality improvement on the roster look like.
    mokumboi liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 8:19 a.m.
    You think Schenn gets a 3 BHAHAHAHA
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 8:53 a.m.
    No thanks for caps, we need to get younger. McM is our future and we’re not giving him up unless we get a young forward/prospect back. Also We’re really short on RHD so iorio is not going anywhere
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.

What is it you feel I had issue with interpreting and understanding? No need to get upset over a forum post.
    You mentioned the team didn’t need a full rebuild because they are a “fringe playoff team”, I was pointing out how difficult it will be for Vancouver to make the jump from “fringe playoff team” to cup contender based on their current situation. Personally I would rather suffer another 2-3 years with no playoffs if it meant watching some exciting young talent, then turning into a long term contender.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
    Quoting: mokumboi
    "There were insiders saying had the Canucks traded him at last years TDL he could have returned a late 1st or early second... "

Quoting: mokumboi

You would have to ask them. If I recall correctly (last years deadline was almost a year ago) there were multiple insiders saying he could fetch at least a 2nd. I was surprised to hear the 1st but I do recall the insider said it was due to last years draft being weak and a crap shoot due to Covid.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
    Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
    You think Schenn gets a 3 BHAHAHAHA

That’s not what I said in the explanation. I said I wouldn’t trade him unless he brings back a 3rd. I don’t see his value changing much between this years deadline and nexts, and he’s been a good fit with the team so there’s no rush to trade him. Insides were also saying that Vancouver doesn’t want to move the player unless it’s a can’t refuse offer (which is probably a 3rd in the case for this player).
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:37 a.m.
    Quoting: xALLCAPS
    No thanks for caps, we need to get younger. McM is our future and we’re not giving him up unless we get a young forward/prospect back. Also We’re really short on RHD so iorio is not going anywhere

That’s fair. I saw some other Caps fan saying they would take this deal on other AGM’s. I think that’s around the cost to move Garland because of his age/contract. I picked WASHas a trade partner because I think there a team that’s wants/needs to win now before their window closes.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.

They might consider Grans or Spence. Clarke and/or Faber will not be traded for Boeser.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:44 a.m.
    If Boeser is going to LA, conversation has to start with either Faber or Jordan Spence, assuming Brandt Clarke is off the table. Kings currently have Doughty, Roy, Sean Durzi, Austin Strand, and Sean Walker (currently injured) as it is

IMO, Kings would trade Roy, Durzi, Strand, and Walker before they traded Faber. They'd probably consider Spence too. Doughty, Clarke, and Faber are the future of the Kings RHD.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:46 a.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    When people say "every player is available for the right price," they're usually using that phrase to justify their contention that the player is available at all, and by "right price," they really mean "for a favorable if not downright one-sided return." Is Faber available for Adam Fox? Of course. Is Faber available for Owen Power? Sure. Is Faber available for Montreal's top-2 protected 2022 first-round draft pick? Probably. But the Kings aren't going to get that for him. In the real world, the return for him is going to be close to an equivalent value. And they're not going to trade him for a theoretically equivalent value because management and the scouting staff have already settled on his value and thus believe that they know what they've got, whereas they don't know what they would have with the "equivalent value."

As to the trade proposed here, whether Los Angeles would include him in a trade for Boeser is a close call. Even up? Sure. With a second? Maybe. With our 2022 first? Doubtful. As shown? No chance. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think Rob Blake and the front office are eager to trade a first and a second in a deal for virtually ANY player. To me, a Boeser deal looks like a first, a roster player and a prospect, which is what most deals for an impact player and high-quality improvement on the roster look like.

People through around the term “untouchable” and “unavailable” far to often. I don’t think you’ll have to blow the socks off a team to acquire Faber, good offer and team fit for sure but I don’t think one would have to significantly overpay for the player.

As for the value part, I don’t think we’re that far apart? You mentioned Boeser being worth a 1st/roster player/prospect, I would personally take a younger roster player returning over a 2nd.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
    Craig Laughlin Fan
    Quoting: xALLCAPS

Not only that, but Washington is already clogged on the wings, making Garland essentially excess goods. If we have to give up this return, It should be for something much more worthwhile than Garland.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
    mokumboi
    You would have to ask them. If I recall correctly (last years deadline was almost a year ago) there were multiple insiders saying he could fetch at least a 2nd. I was surprised to hear the 1st but I do recall the insider said it was due to last years draft being weak and a crap shoot due to Covid.

More like, that "insider" was having a wild delusion. That's so far from reality, it's kooky. Motte has never been near to worth a 1st in his life. If you can remember who it was, please do share.
    Feb. 1, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
    That’s not what I said in the explanation. I said I wouldn’t trade him unless he brings back a 3rd. I don’t see his value changing much between this years deadline and nexts, and he’s been a good fit with the team so there’s no rush to trade him. Insides were also saying that Vancouver doesn’t want to move the player unless it’s a can’t refuse offer (which is probably a 3rd in the case for this player).

I wish nothing but the best to Luke,if that's their bottom line I feel confident saying he'll be in Vancouver.
    Reason liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll