Forums/Armchair-GM

All-in 2022-23

Created by: chealy2
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 3, 2022
Published: Feb. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I figured it would be fun to see what would be possible if we went all in to win a cup next season. The Gaudreau signing probably isn't going to happen and like I said in the trade comments, I have no idea what Compher's worth. However, I would like to get Reilly and Roy anyway, despite this being a win-now ACGM. I used to see Roy all the time in the minors and he seemed like the perfect fit for Trotz's system, defensively responsible and able to contribute offensively.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
4$3,500,000
2$900,000
4$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
1$800,000
6$7,500,000
1$800,000
Trades
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Koskinen

2022 TDL
NYI
  1. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Johnston, Ross
Additional Details:
Any team, BOS is a placeholder
NYI
  1. Compher, J.T.
Additional Details:
I have no clue what Compher is worth or if COL is even looking to trade him, feel free to rip me apart for this deal
NYI
  1. Roy, Nicolas [RFA Rights]
VGK
  1. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
  2. 2023 6th round pick (NYI)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,714,963$245,796$537,500-$214,963
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,150,000$6,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
RFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
And Beauvillier is on pace for 15 goals this year. I think 15-20 is more likely his future outcome than 20-25, but if you want to split hairs like that, we can say he's more-or-less a 20 goal scorer. Which is Fine for your LW2.

You're also downgrading Compher here. He's actually scoring at a better pace than Beauvillier this season, and his most common linemates have been Kadri & Burakovsky on the Avs' second line. He's a right-hand shot who can also take faceoffs, so he gives a little more positional flexibility than Beauvillier. Lastly, he's got one more year at $3.5M AAV versus the 2 more $4.15M that Beauvillier has, which can give some more future flexibility to a team that is going to need to re-sign Barzal & Wahlstrom after next season - it's not a huge thing, but it's part of the calculus.

Saying that a Beau-Compher deal would be the same as trading Barzal for Coyle leans into exactly what someone said upthread about people overvaluing Beauvillier (with an added dash of undervaluing Compher).

Compher has been a replacement level forward this season. Anyone on the Avs can put up points when they are surrounded by elite players. Compher is a defensive minded forward who cannot drive offense at all on a team that is known for their offensive play drivers. Two out of the last 4 years Compher has had the impact of a player who should be a 13 F, the fact that you're arguing that Beauvillier for Compher makes sense is insane. I feel like im having another Devon Toews conversation from 2 years ago where isles fans called him a 3rd pair D who needed to be traded.

The isles need skill players, not positional flexibility. The isles have enough no skill passengers(Parise, palmieri, Bailey, pageau, cizikas, Martin, Parise) , they don't need another in Compher.

I really do think this isles team needs to go back to the dark ages for a change in philosophy, maybe the team/fans will realize you need skill players to win.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
I can't disagree with anything you say here. In fact, I think you're probably right that I'm selling him short here. I've always liked Beauvillier and would love to have him. I just wouldn't trade Girard for him. That's probably where my "overrated" perception stems from. If Lou would do Compher plus though, then I'm all about it.

I don't think there's a chance Lou would do compher+ lol - he's not trading Barzal's best friend (who happens to be one of their best players) a year before he needs a new contract.
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: Db1899
I don't think there's a chance Lou would do compher+ lol - he's not trading Barzal's best friend (who happens to be one of their best players) a year before he needs a new contract.

I wouldn't have thought he'd trade Toews for a couple magic beans either, so I'll never say never grin.
Db1899 and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:47 a.m.
And Beauvillier is on pace for 15 goals this year. I think 15-20 is more likely his future outcome than 20-25, but if you want to split hairs like that, we can say he's more-or-less a 20 goal scorer. Which is Fine for your LW2.

You're also downgrading Compher here. He's actually scoring at a better pace than Beauvillier this season, and his most common linemates have been Kadri & Burakovsky on the Avs' second line. He's a right-hand shot who can also take faceoffs, so he gives a little more positional flexibility than Beauvillier. Lastly, he's got one more year at $3.5M AAV versus the 2 more $4.15M that Beauvillier has, which can give some more future flexibility to a team that is going to need to re-sign Barzal & Wahlstrom after next season - it's not a huge thing, but it's part of the calculus.

Saying that a Beau-Compher deal would be the same as trading Barzal for Coyle leans into exactly what someone said upthread about people overvaluing Beauvillier (with an added dash of undervaluing Compher).

20-21 season
Lets see who led in each offensive and defensive metric

GF/60 (goals for per 60): Beauvillier
xGF/60 (driving offense): Beauvillier
CF/60 (corsi) : Beauvillier
xGA/60 (defense): Beauvillier

Goals per 60 min:
Beauvillier: 1.17
Compher: .88

Points per 60 min
Beauvillier: 2.18
Compher: 1.58

This season almost every player on the isles has been brutal which has affected even Barzal. Compher plays with two stars. Beauvillier and compher aren't close in ability or impact, this is exactly the type of trade mike tilbury would make
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
I wouldn't have thought he'd trade Toews for a couple magic beans either, so I'll never say never grin.

lol that's a bit different , still a bizarre move but isles have a ton of cap space this offseason and they can't afford to trade their only lw under the age of 25. The isles still had other elite defenseman in pelech + pulock.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: Db1899
lol that's a bit different , still a bizarre move but isles have a ton of cap space this offseason and they can't afford to trade their only lw under the age of 25. The isles still had other elite defenseman in pelech + pulock.

Yeah I agree. I was shocked they didn't find a way to keep Toews though. Or at least get a lot more from a team that needed D more than Colorado (Winnipeg always comes to mind). Didn't they trade him when he was on his honeymoon too? Ouch! Talk about a distraction from what's supposed to be the high point of a relationship. Lol.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
we miss leo k
It's less saying "get rid of all the skill players" and more saying "figure out what do with Beau". The Beau-Nelson-Bailey line has been getting caved in this year (they're basically getting outchanced 60-40 when they play together), and if you break him off that line, where do you put him? Putting him on the first line with Barzal and Pailey doesn't feel like it's going to do much (and also would make the second line Lee-Nelson-Bailmieri, which does not seem great?) You could move him down to the third line with JGP & Wahlstrom, which feels like it could be a spark for everyone involved, but then you're talking about moving Parise up to LW2, where he would feel overmatched.

He feels like a man without a country at this point, and he's the most movable of any of the Islanders forwards with term. Maybe moving him straight up for Compher isn't the move to make, but to treat him like a borderline LW1 is definitely overvaluing him. He doesn't do much to make his linemates better - the year he broke 20 goals was the year he spent on Barzal's wing, and now you're seeing him struggle this year with Nelson being hurt and Bailey also struggling. If you want to talk about passengers, it's hard to think of a better example this year than Beau.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
Yeah I agree. I was shocked they didn't find a way to keep Toews though. Or at least get a lot more from a team that needed D more than Colorado (Winnipeg always comes to mind). Didn't they trade him when he was on his honeymoon too? Ouch! Talk about a distraction from what's supposed to be the high point of a relationship. Lol.

There were rumors that isles had offers on Leddy but Trotz chose Leddy over Toews, which is one of the reasons I hate Trotz. The thing is most of the league probably thought he was a decent 2nd pairing D or else there would have been better offers. Most teams do not use analytics as much as Sakic.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
ill take some Beauvillier for compher

throws smoke bomb and runs away
NMAvsFan and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
It's less saying "get rid of all the skill players" and more saying "figure out what do with Beau". The Beau-Nelson-Bailey line has been getting caved in this year (they're basically getting outchanced 60-40 when they play together), and if you break him off that line, where do you put him? Putting him on the first line with Barzal and Pailey doesn't feel like it's going to do much (and also would make the second line Lee-Nelson-Bailmieri, which does not seem great?) You could move him down to the third line with JGP & Wahlstrom, which feels like it could be a spark for everyone involved, but then you're talking about moving Parise up to LW2, where he would feel overmatched.

He feels like a man without a country at this point, and he's the most movable of any of the Islanders forwards with term. Maybe moving him straight up for Compher isn't the move to make, but to treat him like a borderline LW1 is definitely overvaluing him. He doesn't do much to make his linemates better - the year he broke 20 goals was the year he spent on Barzal's wing, and now you're seeing him struggle this year with Nelson being hurt and Bailey also struggling. If you want to talk about passengers, it's hard to think of a better example this year than Beau.

It's very simple to look up the stats that show that Beauvillier is the main driver of the 2nd line - it's also disingenuous to use the "the year he broke 20 goals was the year he spent on Barzal's line" when the last two years were covid shortened seasons where he was on pace for 22 and 26 goals...I mean cmon man lol. I can care less if someone proves me wrong but your arguments are straight up confirmation bias.

I can actually prove he's a borderline LW1, every offensive and defensive metric + his rate numbers show that he has been a fringe top line winger. If you want to choose to ignore that, that's on you.

Lets take a look at how the 2nd line does with and without Beauvillier over the past two seasons since you seem to believe hes the passenger.

21-22 season
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Outshot 130-86
Outscored 7-4
High danger scoring chances 26-15 in favor of the opposition

Beauvillier + Nelson WITHOUT JOSH BAILEY
Shot attempts 189-167 Isles
Isles outscoring opponents 10-5
High danger scoring chances 46-28 Isles

Nelson+Bailey WITHOUT BEAUVILLIER
Shot attempts 21-8 in favor of the opposition
Isles outscored 2-0

So who's the real passenger ? It's Josh Bailey. Nelson and Bailey suck when Beauvillier is not on their line.

Lets look at Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey without Beauvillier during the 20-21 season

Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Shot attempts 318-311 Isles
Isles outscored opponents 19-7
High danger scoring chances 76-48 Isles

Nelson+Bailey WITHOUT BEAUVILLIER
Shot attempts 150-89 in favor of the opposition
Isles outscored 8-3
High danger scoring chances 25-18 in favor of the opposition.

So as you can see here, trading Beauvillier would be a massive mistake and there aren't many players that are available who can do what Beauvillier does on this team/system. He's a core player. Bailey is the one that needs to get bought out or traded.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
we miss leo k
First off, you're not going to get any argument from me on Bailey. He's not worth the contract, but everyone else in the league knows that too, and I don't feel like sending away more picks/prospects just to shed his contract. You can buy him out but I'm betting that Lou is going to be loyal enough to him to let him get to 1,000 games in an Islanders uniform (damn COVID, he could've made it there this year in game 81 if he hadn't missed any time).

That leads to a point I think most Islanders fans need to be reminded of much too often: Bailey, Palmieri, JGP, Nelson, & Lee are all stuck here. Nelson & Lee at least come close to living up to their contracts, so there's no rush to move them; meanwhile, Bailey, Palmieri, and Pageau have all played poorly enough that you're not dumping those contracts without sweeteners (or taking something bad back in return.) When you look at the rest of the top 9 you get 4 guys: Wahlstrom & Barzal are not going anywhere, Parise might get flipped at the deadline for a mid-round pick, and then you have Beauvillier. He's probably the only attractive asset that you would want to move on the top 9. And for as many numbers you can show me from 2019-20 & 20-21, I can show this:

Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Chances: 88 - 130
Shot attempts: 51 - 70
Goals: 4 - 7

(to add more fuel to your Bailey fire, if you swap him with Palmieri those numbers almost completely reverse)

I can be convinced that trading him for Compher isn't the best idea, but he's realistically one of the few places you can try and switch up the Top 9 before you start buying guys out and taking on that cap burden. And the way he's looked this season, I can almost guarantee that the only types of offers Lou is gonna get are gonna be those "change of scenery" type deals.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
First off, you're not going to get any argument from me on Bailey. He's not worth the contract, but everyone else in the league knows that too, and I don't feel like sending away more picks/prospects just to shed his contract. You can buy him out but I'm betting that Lou is going to be loyal enough to him to let him get to 1,000 games in an Islanders uniform (damn COVID, he could've made it there this year in game 81 if he hadn't missed any time).

That leads to a point I think most Islanders fans need to be reminded of much too often: Bailey, Palmieri, JGP, Nelson, & Lee are all stuck here. Nelson & Lee at least come close to living up to their contracts, so there's no rush to move them; meanwhile, Bailey, Palmieri, and Pageau have all played poorly enough that you're not dumping those contracts without sweeteners (or taking something bad back in return.) When you look at the rest of the top 9 you get 4 guys: Wahlstrom & Barzal are not going anywhere, Parise might get flipped at the deadline for a mid-round pick, and then you have Beauvillier. He's probably the only attractive asset that you would want to move on the top 9. And for as many numbers you can show me from 2019-20 & 20-21, I can show this:

Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Chances: 88 - 130
Shot attempts: 51 - 70
Goals: 4 - 7

(to add more fuel to your Bailey fire, if you swap him with Palmieri those numbers almost completely reverse)

I can be convinced that trading him for Compher isn't the best idea, but he's realistically one of the few places you can try and switch up the Top 9 before you start buying guys out and taking on that cap burden. And the way he's looked this season, I can almost guarantee that the only types of offers Lou is gonna get are gonna be those "change of scenery" type deals.

So what you're saying is that no matter bad Bailey plays , he's stuck here even though he has a buyout friendly contract? Interesting. Why didn't he let Eberle get to 1000 games with the isles?

You do realize that you're proving my point right? I posted the numbers from this season, which shows that the 2nd line is best WITH Beauvillier and WITHOUT Bailey. Beauvillier has been a top 3 forward on this team by every metric over the past 3 years.

Another thing, I can guarantee you that Barzal will request a trade if Beauvillier is traded and it will have a ripple effect with the rest of the young players who will want out as fast as possible (guys like Dobson, Wahlstrom, sorokin)
Feb. 8, 2022 at 11:58 p.m.
Avs take that and run. That's not saying JT isn't a useful player but still.......Beauvillier is the kind of guy who is in discussions if you're trying to pry someone like Girard out of Colorado. You'd still be adding a little but you'd be closer in value.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll