SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Elite d core

Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2022
Published: Feb. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Leafs have a complete d core with offensively minded puck moving quick dmen who can play both sides which fits their philosophy. Their defence is still relatively young as well. Their offence is still intact with the exception of Kerfoot being out but if Robertson has a strong two months in the AHL he could very well be ready for the third line.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 7th round pick (VAN)
ARI
  1. Ritchie, Nick
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Dunn, Vince ($1,000,000 retained)
SEA
  1. Hirvonen, Roni [Reserve List]
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Kokkonen, Mikko [Reserve List]
  4. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Dumba, Matt ($3,000,000 retained)
MIN
  1. Amirov, Rodion
  2. Holl, Justin
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  4. Miettinen, Veeti [Reserve List]
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  6. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,216,450$0$0$283,550

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 8, 2022 at 5:57 p.m.
mokumboi
Seattle accepts (or at least they should... who knows with Francis in charge). The Wild do not, they are also contending now. The futures would make this an overpay if they weren't, but they are.
jaok3 and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The Leafs are no better this season with trading of two Dmen and Kerfoot for two Dmen. Plus losing so many futures for minimal gains this season if at all.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
Banned
Dumba isn't available to be traded during the season. Offseason a decision will be made. Also, Minnesota is in no position to retain anything on dumba much less take on Justin holly's contract . Not a bad offer but dumba is simply not getting traded Right now, and we aren't retaining, taking on any cap dump
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:03 p.m.
57 years and countin
Quoting: palhal
The Leafs are no better this season with trading of two Dmen and Kerfoot for two Dmen. Plus losing so many futures for minimal gains this season if at all.

You're saying two dmen for Kerfoot and two dmen. However, you're not acknowleding the substantial upgrade on the backend (for which they've needed for many years now, Dunn and Dumba are big upgrades over Holl and Dermott/Liljegren, although I love Liljegren) without taking too much away from their offence, this is a contending team.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
57 years and countin
Quoting: GabrielJ
Dumba isn't available to be traded during the season. Offseason a decision will be made. Also, Minnesota is in no position to retain anything on dumba much less take on Justin holly's contract . Not a bad offer but dumba is simply not getting traded Right now, and we aren't retaining, taking on any cap dump

Quoting: mokumboi
Seattle accepts (or at least they should... who knows with Francis in charge). The Wild do not, they are also contending now. The futures would make this an overpay if they weren't, but they are.

The package was made to be over the top so the Wild can't say no. I don't think he's worth more than Liljegren, Amirov, a 1st and 2nd. Even if the team is contending, Holl and Liljegren aren't slouches, although not as good as Dumba, and Liljegren has top 4 upside.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
If it's after the season, great. He's yours.

But right now? Not a chance. A cup contender isn't moving a needed and necessary piece to another contender in season. It's lunacy otherwise.
mokumboi, GabrielJ and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: PrisonMike
You're saying two dmen for Kerfoot and two dmen. However, you're not acknowleding the substantial upgrade on the backend (for which they've needed for many years now, Dunn and Dumba are big upgrades over Holl and Dermott/Liljegren, although I love Liljegren) without taking too much away from their offence, this is a contending team.

I don't know why Leaf fans hate their own players and think the other teams players are such different makers. What are the Leafs, fifth in GAA, 3rd on PK...and it's so switching two Dmen for another two are going to make them that much better? Kerfoot was the Leafs second best player in last years playoffs. Leafs have no NHL depth at centre, and if a centre is injured (Matthews might be now) it's Kerfoot who takes on the 2C. The Leafs are 3rd in the East, 2nd in the Atlantic....they are a contending team now.
Stewie21 liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
The package was made to be over the top so the Wild can't say no. I don't think he's worth more than Liljegren, Amirov, a 1st and 2nd. Even if the team is contending, Holl and Liljegren aren't slouches, although not as good as Dumba, and Liljegren has top 4 upside.

Minnesota currently has better odds at the cup than Toronto does.

We're not tanking our season just because you flash shiny precious' and ask us sweetly.
mokumboi and GabrielJ liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:13 p.m.
57 years and countin
I don't know why Leaf fans hate their own players and think the other teams players are such different makers. What are the Leafs, fifth in GAA, 3rd on PK...and it's so switching two Dmen for another two are going to make them that much better? Kerfoot was the Leafs second best player in last years playoffs. Leafs have no NHL depth at centre, and if a centre is injured (Matthews might be now) it's Kerfoot who takes on the 2C. The Leafs are 3rd in the East, 2nd in the Atlantic....they are a contending team now.

I don't like their current dcore going up against Tampa or Florida, I don't hate our players, I think they can be used as assets in packages to aquire BETTER ones. One thing that people on this site don't understand is that when GM's trade players it isn't necessairly because they're garbage or don't fit the team's philosophy, it's an exchange of assets for assets. The dcore I've assembled is just flat out better and has a better chance against Tampa or Florida, or even Washington/Boston in the first round. And Engvall is actually a pretty good centre, you could pencil him in on the third line.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:17 p.m.
A Reilly/Dumba pair is just a disaster waiting to happen. They are the same d-man in the respects that are at their best when paired with a quality stay at home d-man that can cover for their gambles.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:24 p.m.
Banned

After season, but Minnesota isn't ruining team over two lesser players, one who barely has played in NHL.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
57 years and countin
Quoting: wabit
A Reilly/Dumba pair is just a disaster waiting to happen. They are the same d-man in the respects that are at their best when paired with a quality stay at home d-man that can cover for their gambles.

How about Rielly-Brodie, Muzzin-Dumba? Sounds good to me.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
57 years and countin

I've noticed quite a bit on the site that you've defended Leafs players, which is great, because many just **** on them for being with the Leafs, and when used in trades are viewed as garbage, which is flat out unfair. And you've pointed out the stats on the team (1st in powerplay, 3rd in penalty kill, 6th in GAA, etc) that make them look like a legit contender with what they have now. I'm assuming, and just assuming, you had a similar approach last season in defending the team (winning the division, top 10 in points, top 10 in scoring, defence, etc).... but they didn't get out of the first round. As Billy Beane pointed out in Moneyball, "It doesn't matter if you don't win the last game of the season." This team with its great stats doesn't have a great chance against Florida or Tampa, they're a great team, but their d core just not good enough. I'm not a hockey expert, not by a long shot, but many good hockey minds in the media just flat out say they don't have that core. My trades represent a team that is serious on contending.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Minnesota's dead cap hit goes up from $4.7 million to $12.7 million next season, and their primary need is a top-6 center, so this trade with the $3 million retention doesn't suit the Wild at all.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I've noticed quite a bit on the site that you've defended Leafs players, which is great, because many just **** on them for being with the Leafs, and when used in trades are viewed as garbage, which is flat out unfair. And you've pointed out the stats on the team (1st in powerplay, 3rd in penalty kill, 6th in GAA, etc) that make them look like a legit contender with what they have now. I'm assuming, and just assuming, you had a similar approach last season in defending the team (winning the division, top 10 in points, top 10 in scoring, defence, etc).... but they didn't get out of the first round. As Billy Beane pointed out in Moneyball, "It doesn't matter if you don't win the last game of the season." This team with its great stats doesn't have a great chance against Florida or Tampa, they're a great team, but their d core just not good enough. I'm not a hockey expert, not by a long shot, but many good hockey minds in the media just flat out say they don't have that core. My trades represent a team that is serious on contending.

I've noticed quite a bit on the site that you've defended Leafs players, which is great, because many just **** on them for being with the Leafs, and when used in trades are viewed as garbage, which is flat out unfair. And you've pointed out the stats on the team (1st in powerplay, 3rd in penalty kill, 6th in GAA, etc) that make them look like a legit contender with what they have now. I'm assuming, and just assuming, you had a similar approach last season in defending the team (winning the division, top 10 in points, top 10 in scoring, defence, etc).... but they didn't get out of the first round. As Billy Beane pointed out in Moneyball, "It doesn't matter if you don't win the last game of the season." This team with its great stats doesn't have a great chance against Florida or Tampa, they're a great team, but their d core just not goS
Feb. 8, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Sorry, getting Dunn who exposed by St Louis in the expansion draft and Minni 3rd best Dman doesn't but the Leafs over the top at the expense of Kerfoot, and Leafs two Dmen. Really hard to believe to think they taking extra cap for next season and stripping the prospects is a good way to be competitive . 16 teams miss the playoffs, 8 teams lose in the first round. I know it is subjective, but thinking Dunn and Dumba are going to take the Leafs to the Cup is "crazy". Besides Kerfoot might really be needed at centre, if Matthews is out, By the way Kerfoot Leafs second best player in last years playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll