Forums/Armchair-GM

Im not usually one to talk about reffing but excuse me

Created by: arafay
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 19, 2022
Published: Feb. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What the hell was that?? I don’t usually talk about reffing because it almost always goes both ways but WHAT WAS THAT??

In the last 10 mins, I personally saw 4 missed calls.
Vesalainen gets a cross-check in the face, no call.
Can’t remember who it was (I think Wheeler or dubios maybe) got tripped in the corner coming out with the puck.
Morrissey and scheifele both get clearly tripped in the last min, only 1 call and Morrissey gets called too so basically 2 missed calls.

4 FREAKING MISSED CALLS IN 10 MINUTES.

And then add in the svechnikov major. I understand how it’s a penalty, maybe even a boarding (though I don’t remember the player hitting the boards) or interference, but UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT???? And a major for that???

What????

I don’t think the jets should have won that either way, but the reffing probably stole at least a point the jets crucially needed this time of year.

Also, Morrissey looked great all game in my opinion

My point isn’t to say the jets lost cause of the refs. My point is that the nhl needs to figure something out about poor reffing. It’s been getting worse and worse. Hold the refs accountable to someone or give them fines/suspension for egregious missed calls. The types of calls missed today and recently overall aren’t excusable when there are 2 refs on the ice.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$80,098,813$145,122$1,600,000$1,401,187
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$752,500$752,500
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
LD
RFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 19, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
Banned
cross check to the face you say.....that's just playoff hockey.
They must be getting practice for the playoffs.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 6:49 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

Lol I get that, again, I don’t mind it as long as it goes both ways. Vesalainen was going to the crease. I think it’s fair game as long as it’s not called the other way. But that’s my point, it wasn’t called both ways. It was the clear difference in a 10 min span where the jets scored 2/3 needed goals and were making a clear push.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
Winnipeg had 6 powerplays, i think blaming the refs for this game is embarrassing. Svech didn't get a major, he got 2 extra minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct which was likely a result of ****-talking the refs, but wasn't shown on the broadcast. Jets had nothing going all game until the SHG to my eye, and the refs were far from the problem imo. Scheifele was invisible
Feb. 19, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

Jets are gonna miss the playoffs lol
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:02 p.m.
Quoting: dilldoughs
Winnipeg had 6 powerplays, i think blaming the refs for this game is embarrassing. Svech didn't get a major, he got 2 extra minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct which was likely a result of ****-talking the refs, but wasn't shown on the broadcast. Jets had nothing going all game until the SHG to my eye, and the refs were far from the problem imo. Scheifele was invisible

Ahh, I see, I misunderstood the svechnikov penalties. But still, I don’t mind that part alone.

As I said in the description, I’m not blaming the refs for this loss. The jets played terrible for the first 50 mins of the game. No excusing that. However, the refs were still the difference in the game, and there’s no excusing that either.

On the scoresheet, the jets got hurt from reffing. A 1 goal deficit isn’t hard to overcome (especially when you are dominating play) unless you are hurt by the reffing, which the jets were.

The oilers had 5 powerplays, what’s your point? The point isn’t how many powerplay each team had, it’s about the frustration gafs the refs had in the last 10 mins.

Schiefele also has nothing to do with the refs.

You here basically just said a bunch of mumbo jumbo without addressing the actual point I am trying to make. The refs need some form of accountability.
tsyls liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: jet11567
Jets are gonna miss the playoffs lol

We’ll see. NSH has been falling. And the jets are playing better than all wild card teams not named Dallas recently. I think it’ll come down to a 4-way battle between LA, Dallas, Winnipeg, and NSH for 2 playoff spots

Should be interesting
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
Quoting: arafay
Ahh, I see, I misunderstood the svechnikov penalties. But still, I don’t mind that part alone.

As I said in the description, I’m not blaming the refs for this loss. The jets played terrible for the first 50 mins of the game. No excusing that. However, the refs were still the difference in the game, and there’s no excusing that either.

On the scoresheet, the jets got hurt from reffing. A 1 goal deficit isn’t hard to overcome (especially when you are dominating play) unless you are hurt by the reffing, which the jets were.

The oilers had 5 powerplays, what’s your point? The point isn’t how many powerplay each team had, it’s about the frustration gafs the refs had in the last 10 mins.

Schiefele also has nothing to do with the refs.

You here basically just said a bunch of mumbo jumbo without addressing the actual point I am trying to make. The refs need some form of accountability.

i just disagree with your premise that the reffing was bad enough to warrant a post here. hardly the difference in the game to my eye, but to each his own
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
Quoting: dilldoughs
i just disagree with your premise that the reffing was bad enough to warrant a post here. hardly the difference in the game to my eye, but to each his own

I’ll ask 1 question. With the way edm and Winnipeg were each playing in the last 5 mins, do you think the jets wouldn’t have scored on a 6 on 3 with a minute left? Or maybe scored a couple on a 5 on 3 with 5 mins left?

I’m not saying they would have, but they had a solid chance to that was taken by the refs. Again though, my point isn’t that reffing lost the jets the game. The jets did that to themselves. But the refs also made mind-blowing gafs that probably impacted the final result.
tsyls liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Trad Breliving
I’ve stopped talking about reffing too much, because people always play the “you’re just mad because you lost” card.

But I’ll chime in here.

Reffing has been absolutely brutal all year. Missed calls, make-up calls, “game management”. It’s terrible.

There was a Leafs game a week or two ago, against Vancouver.
Toronto down 3-2, the game was really picking up pace. It was very fast and exciting. 2 minutes left andTavares gets slashed by Motte, no call. Puck goes the other way, Tavares gets a stick up on Motte, high-sticking call.
I don’t think there had been a call all 3rd period, then with 2 minutes left during a very fast and exciting time, they call a penalty.

I don’t care if they make the calls, or if they don’t make the calls. I think we all just want some consistency.
arafay, RedWing9119 and tsyls liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
I’ve stopped talking about reffing too much, because people always play the “you’re just mad because you lost” card.

But I’ll chime in here.

Reffing has been absolutely brutal all year. Missed calls, make-up calls, “game management”. It’s terrible.

There was a Leafs game a week or two ago, against Vancouver.
Toronto down 3-2, the game was really picking up pace. It was very fast and exciting. 2 minutes left andTavares gets slashed by Motte, no call. Puck goes the other way, Tavares gets a stick up on Motte, high-sticking call.
I don’t think there had been a call all 3rd period, then with 2 minutes left during a very fast and exciting time, they call a penalty.

I don’t care if they make the calls, or if they don’t make the calls. I think we all just want some consistency.

EXACTLY. THANK YOU.

Yes I am not blaming this loss on the jets as people would suggest, I just want some consistency. I ask 2 things:

1) Has to go both ways (call or no call, doesn’t matter)

2) No more “game management” as you said. Calling a penalty on the other side to “cool down the game”, or make up for a mistake, or stay out of controversy doesn’t do anything except piss people off. If the NHL is a business like they suggest, game management calls are the guy who’s burning the money.

Theo boy way I think this happens though is if we attach some accountability to the refs. Maybe put them in front of the podium and make them answer for their poor decision like the players do. Maybe give them fines or suspensions for terrible/missed calls like the players get if they do something wrong/against the rules.

Reffing has just been getting worse in this league. I remember that growing up watching this game, there were missed calls for sure, especially in the playoffs, but they were never this numerous.

Add in whatever is happing down in Arizona and that the NHL didn’t go to the olympics despite it being in the CBA, ans bettman should be on a short leash. Especially since he’s had the job since the 90’s
ZachHymanForTheHart and tsyls liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 7:32 p.m.
Sabres are elite
There is 0 accountability for refs in the NHL, or at least that is how it appears to fans like you and me. There are naturally going to be many missed calls because reffing is obviously very difficult and players are good at getting away with things when the refs are not looking. To me the worst ones are the really weak calls for "slashing" when its a one-handing tap on the other player's shaft or the goalie interference calls they make, regardless of whether it is challenged or not.
MisstheWhalers and arafay liked this.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: Skyraider112
There is 0 accountability for refs in the NHL, or at least that is how it appears to fans like you and me. There are naturally going to be many missed calls because reffing is obviously very difficult and players are good at getting away with things when the refs are not looking. To me the worst ones are the really weak calls for "slashing" when its a one-handing tap on the other player's shaft or the goalie interference calls they make, regardless of whether it is challenged or not.

Yep. To me it’s the boarding (vicious play) and hit to the heads. I’m sorry, but those HAVE to be called. Especially if the league is trying to get them out of the game.

Other penalties like tripping, slashing, high sticking are generally very hard to miss so I get mad if one gets missed there.

There just HAS to be accountability.
Feb. 19, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
Sabres are elite
Quoting: arafay
Yep. To me it’s the boarding (vicious play) and hit to the heads. I’m sorry, but those HAVE to be called. Especially if the league is trying to get them out of the game.

Other penalties like tripping, slashing, high sticking are generally very hard to miss so I get mad if one gets missed there.

There just HAS to be accountability.

There is no accountability in the NHL. Players do whatever they want and still are allowed to play in the NHL with virtually no consequences (Evander Kane, Austin Watson, Patrick Kane etc. etc.). Coaches get away with bad things and they are just fired but somehow still end up finding another job. Do not even get me started on owners and the elites of the league. They may be the ones paying for the league and teams but that shouldn't mean they get to do whatever they want. The NHL is a joke when it comes to investigations and handing out repercussions.
arafay liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll