SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/ARI) - Ritchie, 2nd for Dzingel, Lyubushkin

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 21, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Dzingel was just claimed by SJ on waivers. So this trade now boils down to Dumping Ritchie with a second while also getting a defensive 3rd pair D. I still think it’s fine for both teams but Arizona makes out better here especially getting a 2nd for Lyubushkin where they probably would have gotten a 4th or a 3rd round pick at the deadline at best.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
Dzingel was just claimed by SJ on waivers. So this trade now boils down to Dumping Ritchie with a second while also getting a defensive 3rd pair D. I still think it’s fine for both teams but Arizona makes out better here especially getting a 2nd for Lyubushkin where they probably would have gotten a 4th or a 3rd round pick at the deadline at best.

Dont forget 1.2mill in cap space for Toronto when Liligren or Sandin are sent down on off days (Accumulate more Cap space). Over time TDL cap space gonna be higher than it was with Ritchie in the AHL thats for sure. Yes it sucks losing a usable player but the contract spot gained and cap flexibility makes it all worth it.

Besides could probs just replace him with Ho-Sang for league min or eventually reclaim brooks
capsfan2121 and Rangsey liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
Dont forget 1.2mill in cap space for Toronto when Liligren or Sandin are sent down on off days (Accumulate more Cap space). Over time TDL cap space gonna be higher than it was with Ritchie in the AHL thats for sure. Yes it sucks losing a usable player but the contract spot gained and cap flexibility makes it all worth it.

Besides could probs just replace him with Ho-Sang for league min or eventually reclaim brooks

This makes no difference. Dzingel was going to the AHL and his full contract would've been buried. Leafs would've done the same thing whether Dzingel was claimed or not.

IMO, that extra contract spot is the biggest thing here for Toronto.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
This makes no difference. Dzingel was going to the AHL and his full contract would've been buried. Leafs would've done the same thing whether Dzingel was claimed or not.

IMO, that extra contract spot is the biggest thing here for Toronto.

Even so we still got a roster spot, 1.1mill in extra space with or without him. And no more Ritchie

Alls good for Toronto

Even the experts are saying it lul as now we can at the TDL look to make a bigger deal as by then we will have more than 750k lul.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Edited Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
I think the big thing here for the Yotes is that Ritchie's 2.5 means nothing to them since they'll be loaded with space this offseason. Considering Dzingle's on waivers it essentially turns into a potential 2nd for Lyubushkin, which is probably better value than they would have gotten around the league.

I don't buy the idea that 2025 is "too far" because in 2 years time that pick is going to be valued like a normal 2nd. Considering the scorched earth approach the Coyotes have taken, I think Armstrong fully expects to still be there in 5 years, meaning the 2nd rounder is still within his timeline. I think the misunderstanding people have is that they think the Coyotes have to actually develop a player with that pick, when in reality, they should be pushing for the playoffs by then and could dangle that 2nd to add someone at the deadline/in the summer.
Also as KSIxSKULLS mentioned, the ROI is higher for farther out picks

I said the same thing when critiquing the Draft pick option.... the Yotes already have a boatload of picks within the next two Drafts, so take the 2nd in 2025 and hope the team is ready to at least playoff contend. Than use that 2nd to add into a trade to get a NHL ready player, to move the needle forward to contention and welcome Auston Matthews onto the team.
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:33 p.m.

HoSang can't play this season, even on a 750k nhl contract it'll be pro rated, which will make the cap hit just as high as keeping Dzingel.

Brooks must come back, he should be replacing Spezza next season when Spezza retires.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
Even so we still got a roster spot, 1.1mill in extra space with or without him. And no more Ritchie

Alls good for Toronto

Even the experts are saying it lul as now we can at the TDL look to make a bigger deal as by then we will have more than 750k lul.

For Toronto to land a bid name on TDL day they'll have to overpay for retained contract (that cost the Leafs two 4th round picks last year on the Foligno deal, which was a mistake) or add a top young prospect as the bribe...either way, it's a mistake from Mr. Dum @ss.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:41 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I said the same thing when critiquing the Draft pick option.... the Yotes already have a boatload of picks within the next to Drafts, so take the 2nd in 2025 and hope the team is ready to at least playoff contend. Than use that 2nd to add into a trade to get a NHL ready player, to move the needle forward to contention

Exactly.

[/quote=draft_em_sign_em_trade_em;3006038] and welcome Auston Matthews onto the team. [/quote]

Well...
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
I think the big thing here for the Yotes is that Ritchie's 2.5 means nothing to them since they'll be loaded with space this offseason. Considering Dzingle's on waivers it essentially turns into a potential 2nd for Lyubushkin, which is probably better value than they would have gotten around the league.

I don't buy the idea that 2025 is "too far" because in 2 years time that pick is going to be valued like a normal 2nd. Considering the scorched earth approach the Coyotes have taken, I think Armstrong fully expects to still be there in 5 years, meaning the 2nd rounder is still within his timeline. I think the misunderstanding people have is that they think the Coyotes have to actually develop a player with that pick, when in reality, they should be pushing for the playoffs by then and could dangle that 2nd to add someone at the deadline/in the summer.
Also as KSIxSKULLS mentioned, the ROI is higher for farther out picks

I think if you put a monetary value on the draft pick thing, IMHO they're losing more than they're gaining. Ritchie also makes more money than his cap next year while Lyubushkin and Dzingel are UFA's. I mean for a team that is hell bent on attaining cap but not actual dollars, Ritchie's contract is not what they're looking for so why were they so eager to do it?

I think they paid 3.3M in salary/ 2.5M in cap (Ritchie's salary cap next year) to move from a 4th rounder (Lyubushkin TDL value) in 2022, to potentially a 2nd rounder in 2025 or 3rd rounder in 2023. If you put a monetary value on what moving from a 4th/3rd to a 2nd SHOULD cost, I think they sold themselves short here.

As for the 2025 2nd thing, I think its not whether the pick still has value or not, its whether Arizona should have had to even take the pick that far to begin with. I don't think the benefit is so great that they're just happy and will shut up to anything. Army seriously couldn't tell Dubas its a 2023/2024 2nd or no deal? Really? Dubas said its 2025, take it or leave it and they caved... for that type of trade. I mean Arizona is already the team with the most draft picks in NHL history, do they seriously need to move up that bad? Aren't they broke?

To me, this has a little " Can you scratch my back now and I'll scratch your back later" type feel to it. Which GM's do all the time in order to broker good relations with other GM's they might not have previous relations with or whatever for example. Has little actual hockey impact but puts the relationship between the two in good standings. I think Dubas asked Armstrong to do him a solid. He'll repay him back in the future, type thing.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 5:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
For Toronto to land a bid name on TDL day they'll have to overpay for retained contract (that cost the Leafs two 4th round picks last year on the Foligno deal, which was a mistake) or add a top young prospect as the bribe...either way, it's a mistake from Mr. Dum ss.

They really arent in on big names though

The guys I have heard are Hagel who makes 1.5mill and one of Mayfield, Schenn, Braun, etc.

Depending on the combo thats 2.3-3.3mill

Now if they move Kerfoot, Dermott, or Holl they can go with a more expensive name.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 6:38 p.m.
They really arent in on big names though

The guys I have heard are Hagel who makes 1.5mill and one of Mayfield, Schenn, Braun, etc.

Depending on the combo thats 2.3-3.3mill

Now if they move Kerfoot, Dermott, or Holl they can go with a more expensive name.

Mayfield with an extra year left on a cheap contract would be nice. I see ACGMs with Hagel and the 'Hawk fans seem to think he's top level trade bait, so pass on him.

Go back to the 'Yotes and ask for Kessel, I miss his hotdog cart in the ACC arena.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
Canes fan
Off to Toronto I guess... Matthews get ready
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Dzinger18
Off to Toronto I guess... Matthews get ready

You got claimed by SJS

So Meier I guess?
Feb. 25, 2022 at 9:37 p.m.
I voted for Arizona. It fits with their strategy of taking on salary to collect draft picks. The players they gave up are no loss because they’re both on expiring contracts and this season doesn’t matter. Ritchie is younger than Dzingel and his productive days are not as far behind him, so there’s a chance he could turn out to be an upgrade, though it’s hard to believe he could score more playing with Arizona’s centers than he could with Auston Matthews.

A second rounder seems like a high price to pay for a relatively small cap dump and a rental defenseman who doesn’t seem to be much of an upgrade over what Toronto already had. I think they were surprised that Dzingel was claimed on waivers, but I suspect they’re not too disappointed because it likely would have taken several injuries to get him in the lineup.

There should be a rule against trading draft picks more than two years in the future.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 25, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
I voted for Arizona. It fits with their strategy of taking on salary to collect draft picks. The players they gave up are no loss because they’re both on expiring contracts and this season doesn’t matter. Ritchie is younger than Dzingel and his productive days are not as far behind him, so there’s a chance he could turn out to be an upgrade, though it’s hard to believe he could score more playing with Arizona’s centers than he could with Auston Matthews.

A second rounder seems like a high price to pay for a relatively small cap dump and a rental defenseman who doesn’t seem to be much of an upgrade over what Toronto already had. I think they were surprised that Dzingel was claimed on waivers, but I suspect they’re not too disappointed because it likely would have taken several injuries to get him in the lineup.

There should be a rule against trading draft picks more than two years in the future.

Honestly dont see Arizona waiting till 2025 for the 2nd. Probs gonna take the 2023 3rd in that stacked draft class

Either way Dubas got out of an expensive deal and got value. Cap space for the TDL with or without Dzingel and no headaches next season as 3.3mill would be annoying to buyout or pay for

Overall, big W on his part lul

As he actually got value for Ritchie as so far Sandin-Lybushkin has been pretty good and hes the kind of Dman we needed rn.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 8:40 a.m.
Honestly dont see Arizona waiting till 2025 for the 2nd. Probs gonna take the 2023 3rd in that stacked draft class

Either way Dubas got out of an expensive deal and got value. Cap space for the TDL with or without Dzingel and no headaches next season as 3.3mill would be annoying to buyout or pay for

As he actually got value for Ritchie as so far Sandin-Lybushkin has been pretty good and hes the kind of Dman we needed rn.

You may be right. If Lyubushkin brings the Leafs something they didn’t have, then a third-round pick is a reasonable price for him and Ritchie’s salary dump. A good comparable might be Carolina's trade last year of Haydn Fleury for a few months of Jani Hakanpaa because they thought they’d need a more physical defenseman in the playoffs. Fleury was on a good contract and was worth more than a third-round pick in my opinion, but I think Hakanpaa gave them what they expected so I can’t say it was a bad trade.

I’m just concerned with the number of picks the Leafs have been giving up. With the odds of a third-round pick making it to the NHL, if you can trade one for a useful NHL player you’re probably better off, but if you trade too many of your picks, you’ve greatly reduced the odds of having enough prospects to prime the pipe. One thing they could do is look for opportunities at the draft to trade down a few picks if there isn’t one guy who stands out when their pick comes. Sometimes that backfires on you, like in 2015 when they passed on Travis Konecny and ended up with Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco and Martins Dzierkals after trading down twice, but the draft is always a bit of a crap shoot no matter how good your scouting is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you need to be in the game.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
WentWughes

This is what I don't agree with. Toronto didn't get value here, they got 2 non impact players that won't help them. They traded a 2nd/3rd and got nothing in return
Feb. 26, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 26, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
This is what I don't agree with. Toronto didn't get value here, they got 2 non impact players that won't help them. They traded a 2nd/3rd and got nothing in return

Lybushkin has been great for us lul. He brings physicality to our blue line and has been playing nice with Sandin. Something we have needed he brings stability and that has been his impact so far. With holl on the fritz there was nobody to help stabilize our RD bring in Lybushkin who in these past 2 games has looked alright. Heck is joining the rush now something we have not seen in Arizona. Probs gonna get a goal or two with us lul. Also got a feeling hes gonna sign an extension 1.45mill x 3 years or something and I dont mind as I like him so far.

Yeah losing the 3rd or 2nd hurts but hey no more headaches with minors Ritchie or paying for FC am I right.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You may be right. If Lyubushkin brings the Leafs something they didn’t have, then a third-round pick is a reasonable price for him and Ritchie’s salary dump. A good comparable might be Carolina's trade last year of Haydn Fleury for a few months of Jani Hakanpaa because they thought they’d need a more physical defenseman in the playoffs. Fleury was on a good contract and was worth more than a third-round pick in my opinion, but I think Hakanpaa gave them what they expected so I can’t say it was a bad trade.

I’m just concerned with the number of picks the Leafs have been giving up. With the odds of a third-round pick making it to the NHL, if you can trade one for a useful NHL player you’re probably better off, but if you trade too many of your picks, you’ve greatly reduced the odds of having enough prospects to prime the pipe. One thing they could do is look for opportunities at the draft to trade down a few picks if there isn’t one guy who stands out when their pick comes. Sometimes that backfires on you, like in 2015 when they passed on Travis Konecny and ended up with Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco and Martins Dzierkals after trading down twice, but the draft is always a bit of a crap shoot no matter how good your scouting is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you need to be in the game.

Its 2025 3 years away (if they chose it) who cares.

3rd round picks dont always make the NHL. Some get stuck in the AHL. The chances are all over the place whether or not a player will make the NHL and even if they do, do well lul.

We got out of a headache and got a RD back who has brought stability to the blue line. Were good. Got a feeling Lybushkin will sign an extension. But either way no more Ritchie and 2.5mill cap hit lul.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
GoJetsGo
What do people think now that Ritchie has 6 points in his last 7?
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 15, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
Go leafs go

He just wasn’t a fit in Toronto.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.

Happy for him and the Coyotes. I said in my post on Feb 25 that I thought he might turn out to be a useful player for them. I’m glad he seems to have recovered from whatever it was that didn’t work in Toronto. It’s good when trades work out for both teams, and the players too.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Dzingel. It’s sad what happened to him. A two-time 20 goal scorer in Ottawa, a victim of injuries and depth in Carolina, dumped by a team that didn’t need the cap space, and out of the league two days after turning 30.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:49 p.m.

Happy for him and the Coyotes. I said in my post on Feb 25 that I thought he might turn out to be a useful player for them. I’m glad he seems to have recovered from whatever it was that didn’t work in Toronto. It’s good when trades work out for both teams, and the players too.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Dzingel. It’s sad what happened to him. A two-time 20 goal scorer in Ottawa, a victim of injuries and depth in Carolina, dumped by a team that didn’t need the cap space, and out of the league two days after turning 30.

Boils down to:
"Kinda garbage points in garbage time scenario" and the league is littered with them in it's history.
No playoff pressure, play 10-15min a night, get paid/fed/massage-and-a-steam, golf clubs idling in the back of the new Cayenne...
Mar. 17, 2022 at 12:04 a.m.
GoJetsGo

Good call! I also kinda wondered if given the opportunity he might do something like this (maybe not to this degree, but at least have some sort of bounce back).
I just looked at Dzingel's page and I was shocked to see that he only broke into the league in 15-16. The guy really played his rookie year, had 2 solid years in the middle six, a career 3/4 year with Stone and Duchene and then basically fell off a cliff and as you said is basically out of the league now within 3 years. That is a sad story. Hopefully someone gives him another shot next year.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
I just looked at Dzingel's page and I was shocked to see that he only broke into the league in 15-16. The guy really played his rookie year, had 2 solid years in the middle six, a career 3/4 year with Stone and Duchene and then basically fell off a cliff and as you said is basically out of the league now within 3 years. That is a sad story. Hopefully someone gives him another shot next year.

I forgot to mention that he was also part of the last team to beat the Lightning in the playoffs. He didn’t exactly cash in big after that, but he did get 2 x $3.375M as a UFA from Carolina, so at least he got some reward for his good years in Ottawa. I didn’t think he was bad in Carolina, but in his first season it seemed they had trouble finding the right linemates for him. He got off to a good start the next year, but then he got hurt, and by the time he came back the lines were firmly established and there was no place for him, so they traded him back to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette. Ironically, he scored two goals against Carolina this season.

It shows how being in the wrong situation for too long can damage your career, so Ritchie is probably lucky that he got out of Toronto before that happened to him. It’s too bad it didn’t work out there. When Toronto signed him, I thought it was a good move. I remember when they signed Kase, I told my brother, “I like Kase, but I probably would have gone after Ritchie,” then they signed Ritchie the next day.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit