Forums/Fauteuil - DG

3 Trades that Could but Wont

Created by: JeffFromMontreal
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 1, 2022
Published: Mar. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In my previous ACGM, I listed all the players that are on the block for the Habs, and their estimate value IMO. I got positive feedback and was asked to commit to more specific trades.

So, here are 3 trades that could happen and should be considered by both sides. But they'll never happen because, well, it's the NHL!
Players on the IR are gone at the deadline or just let go at season's end...
Trades
MTL
  1. Comtois, Maxime
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Ducks have room under the cap. When both players are healthy, I think Gallagher has proven to be a productive winger. He's got the caracter to help the Ducks push for a playoff spot.
ANA
  1. Gallagher, Brendan
  2. 2022 5th round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Comtois is younger and cheaper. But he's also less proven and less consistent. Hence the picks swap.
MTL
  1. L'Heureux, Zachary
  2. Myers, Philippe
  3. 2023 1st round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Armia is a big guy with decent speed. Clear update on 3RW spot.
Chiarot would be the perfect #4 on the Preds, playing 16-19 minutes 5V5 plus PK1.
Weber is an ASSET for the Preds. I don't have to get into specifics, but his contract is super usefull on the LTIR and, the Preds would avoid a big me$$ if he'd retire with them instead of the Habs.
NSH
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. Chiarot, Ben
  3. Weber, Shea
Additional Details:
Myers fills a void on RD, where the Habs are thin. L'Heureux could maybe crack the roster next year, but I see him going to Laval for a couple of years.
MTL
  1. Geekie, Morgan
  2. Grubauer, Philipp
  3. 2023 1st round pick (SEA)
Additional Details:
A healthy Price, moving close to home, at $9M? It should be a no-brainer for the Kraken. Key word here is HEALTHY... Grubauer's contract off the books helps...
Hoffman adds much needed scoring to that lineup. His contract is easy to digest.
Of course, pick is Top-10 protected
SEA
  1. Hoffman, Mike
  2. Price, Carey ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Grubauer could bounce back and prove to be a viable option short term for the Habs. Geekie gives Habs size down the middle, something they need.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$59,779,558$597,561$1,475,000$21,720,442
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
C
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,037,500$2,037,500
LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$917,831$917,831
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
NTC
UFA - 6
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$761,250$761,250
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1, 2022 at 9:57 a.m.
It wouldn’t matter who Weber retired with. Chances are he doesn’t retire, but NSH is hit with the recapture penalty regardless if he retires with them or not. Weber is one of my favorite players, but he isn’t an asset.

Everyone declines
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
Hii
Also Armia would not be worth what is essentially half of Zachary L'Heureux because of his contract. He is a good player but Smashville is in no place to deal out future assets especially in a cutthroat central division.
JeffFromMontreal liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
Hii
Also Armia would not be worth what is essentially half of Zachary L'Heureux because of his contract. He is a good player but Smashville is in no place to deal out future assets especially in a cutthroat central division.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
Hii
Quoting: Hii

Sorry about doing it three times, I don't know how that happened.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:02 a.m.
No longer a Virgin
Anaheim, Nashville, and Seattle all reject, and it isn't close. I'm a Habs fan - proposals like this make all of us look bad, so quit it.

Comtois has a higher upside than Gallagher, is cheaper, young, and drafted by Anaheim. They could be interested in Gallagher, but nowhere near that price.

Weber is not retiring - he is owed millions. He isn't terminating his monthly payments. He has no value. So, two firsts and Myers for Chiarot and bad contract Armia? Hell no.

SEA could've had Price for free, and passed. why would they, a terrible team, give up a young center, their number 1 goalie AND a first round pick, for him at 9 million and under performing Mike Hoffman?

Put yourself in the shoes of other teams before you propose brutally lopsided deals like this. Cmon
GeneralLandro, OldNYIfan, MP55 and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
Quoting: stephane_robidas
Anaheim, Nashville, and Seattle all reject, and it isn't close. I'm a Habs fan - proposals like this make all of us look bad, so quit it.

Comtois has a higher upside than Gallagher, is cheaper, young, and drafted by Anaheim. They could be interested in Gallagher, but nowhere near that price.

If he was cheap and had some retention I think we could have interest but not at his current aav

Edit: Actually him being 30 signed for 5 more years after this is a turn off
OldNYIfan and Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
No longer a Virgin
Quoting: GeneralLandro
If he was cheap and had some retention I think we could have interest but not at his current aav

Totally understandable. Bad move by Bergy no matter how much I love Gally. Tough deal.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:06 a.m.
Totally understandable. Bad move by Bergy no matter how much I love Gally. Tough deal.

Expensive for a long time while he is closer to 40 than 30 at the end
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
HABS for LIFE
No complaints with your trade thoughts, I like them now if they only could come true.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
Lenny7

Edit: Actually him being 30 signed for 5 more years after this is a turn off

Agreed, it's not the time to be worried about adding vets. Don't necessarily think we need to get younger, but adding a big 30+ contract will handcuff down the line.
GeneralLandro liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Agreed, it's not the time to be worried about adding vets. Don't necessarily think we need to get younger, but adding a big 30+ contract will handcuff down the line.

At first in my head he was like 26 then I looked and he’s going to be 30 so had to fix that one quick

Only vet we would need to add is Getzy — I’d be happy to sign him for whatever needed if we need to get to the cap floor and leave him on IR all year if he is done though
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 10:40 a.m.
Lenny7
At first in my head he was like 26 then I looked and he’s going to be 30 so had to fix that one quick

Only vet we would need to add is Getzy — I’d be happy to sign him for whatever needed if we need to get to the cap floor and leave him on IR all year if he is done though

Yeah, will be sad if he's done after this year, but I could see a Niedermeyer/Selanne type thing even, where he sits out for a couple of months. Guy is still a beast possession-wise.
GeneralLandro liked this.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.

Actually, he IS an asset IF he doen't officially retire. He is owed a lot let real money than what is contract would be on LTIR. Preds could just have him around doing nothing for the next few years and benefit from that LTIR money. A la Pronger...
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
Hii
Quoting: JeffFromMontreal
Actually, he IS an asset IF he doen't officially retire. He is owed a lot let real money than what is contract would be on LTIR. Preds could just have him around doing nothing for the next few years and benefit from that LTIR money. A la Pronger...

? Preds ownership says no because they have to pay that money. They must keep the prospects because Nashville is most likely moving towards a rebuild. There is also no way they move L'Heureux when they drafted up to get him.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
Hii

I also don't get how having a guy on LTIR helps Nashville?
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:11 a.m.

Weber is not retiring - he is owed millions. He isn't terminating his monthly payments. He has no value. So, two firsts and Myers for Chiarot and bad contract Armia? Hell no.

SEA could've had Price for free, and passed. why would they, a terrible team, give up a young center, their number 1 goalie AND a first round pick, for him at 9 million and under performing Mike Hoffman?

Put yourself in the shoes of other teams before you propose brutally lopsided deals like this. Cmon

So, what you're saying is that I make all Habs fans look bad? Jeez, thanks. But I think their are plenty of morons that can come up with stupid things by themselves...

Anyway, If you read everything that I posted, you understood that those trades could be good ideas, but will never happen. I am NOT saying they are realistic in the present context, nor am I saying they'll 100% happen. What I'm saying is that they would all make sense, from a hockey/business side of things. Price to Seattle makes perfect sense, but will not happen because of Price's health issues. Armia and Chiarot to Nashville with Weber's contract would be a good fit. And Gallagher to Anaheim to give them some grit/leadership would be nice as well.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
Hii
The other trades are also really bad for the other teams that are not Montreal. Gallager trade is dumping a contract and somehow getting a top winger prospect and a high second. Seattle is giving up a top young player for two contract dumps? There is absolutly no way that they give away those assets. Because it really is giving them away.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
I also don't get how having a guy on LTIR helps Nashville?

Ok, so Weber will make $3M next year and $1M/year for the following 3 years. If he was to retire as a Hab, Nashville would be forced to recapture half of his cap hit for the remaining of the term, right?

So, my point is: if I was the Preds, I'd prefer paying him 3/1/1/1/1 and having him on LTIR, then Paying him $3.75M a year to retire... That's why I'm saying he would be an asset for Nashville...
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
No longer a Virgin
So, what you're saying is that I make all Habs fans look bad? Jeez, thanks. But I think their are plenty of morons that can come up with stupid things by themselves...

Anyway, If you read everything that I posted, you understood that those trades could be good ideas, but will never happen. I am NOT saying they are realistic in the present context, nor am I saying they'll 100% happen. What I'm saying is that they would all make sense, from a hockey/business side of things. Price to Seattle makes perfect sense, but will not happen because of Price's health issues. Armia and Chiarot to Nashville with Weber's contract would be a good fit. And Gallagher to Anaheim to give them some grit/leadership would be nice as well.

I didn't say you make Habs fans look bad. But bad proposals, like this, do.

They make sense for Montreal, but not the other teams getting fleeced. There's a difference. They "should happen" for Montreal. Not for anyone else.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
Hii
Ok, so Weber will make $3M next year and $1M/year for the following 3 years. If he was to retire as a Hab, Nashville would be forced to recapture half of his cap hit for the remaining of the term, right?

So, my point is: if I was the Preds, I'd prefer paying him 3/1/1/1/1 and having him on LTIR, then Paying him $3.75M a year to retire... That's why I'm saying he would be an asset for Nashville...

Their hit with cap recapture anyway if Weber retires because Nashville signed the contract and Weber can't stay on LTIR forever and they really don't have a problem with cap space so why...
Mar. 1, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Go Preds

The NHL would not allow the recapture penalties to be as high as they would be because there would be no way Nashville can field a competitive team that way.
Mar. 1, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
Armia isn’t an upgrade on our 3rd line rw. Armia has had a sharp decline in production. This season is terrible but even last season he’d be on par with the much cheaper and younger yakov Trenin. Armia doesn’t compare favorably to jeannot.

Chiarot isn’t worth spending any futures on from Nashville as we don’t need him. If he’s actually good (he isn’t), Montreal should keep him because their defense really needs the help.

Weber isn’t worth much to Nashville as has been discussed to death around here and elsewhere.

Price isn’t healthy. His contract is atrocious unless he comes back and plays out the rest of his contract playing like he did in the playoffs. Unfortunately, his play the past couple regular seasons wouldn’t get most teams into the playoffs…. Just look at edmonton to see what bad regular season goaltending does to ya. Hoffman is one dimensional at best. I see the Seattle trade as a new team giving up younger players and picks for capdumps.

I personally hate Gallaghers contract. I don’t think he was worth it when he signed it. His production since signing it has shown that it was a bad choice by Montreals gm.
JeffFromMontreal and gmgb liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll