SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Unrestricted Free Agent discussion

Should all UFAs hit the open market even if there are talks of resigning them?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:16 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NateElder12
The only thing I disagree with that is significant is the process of waiver order being used for FA. I'm not willing to argue it this year since a lot of you guys have put most of the leg work in already on this FA plan, but I do want to mention it for the future (next season?).

Why does it go in order of the 2nd round draft order from the top? Shouldn't it go reverse order? IMO, reverse order makes the most sense to me since most teams that win the cup are the more desirable locations for UFAs - especially near the end of their careers. Additionally, cup teams are usually closer to the ceiling and require more significant pay raises (i.e. Blackhawks/Kings), meaning they may only be able to fit one guy in as a FA before they are essentially done. This method we have now just seems to make the process a little ridiculous when you see how there are like 5 teams with $50M in cap space - that is never going to happen IRL - and will just eat up all the FAs before they even get to #10 in the draft order haha. Idk, I haven't though it out completely but that's just one suggestion I have that I think we should keep in mind.

I have to agree, this FA is going to be very unrealistic and damn near impossible to get FAs for any team who didn't sell off their entire squad except for ELCs and donkeys.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:24 p.m.
Go Habs Go
The only thing I disagree with that is significant is the process of waiver order being used for FA. I'm not willing to argue it this year since a lot of you guys have put most of the leg work in already on this FA plan, but I do want to mention it for the future (next season?).

Why does it go in order of the 2nd round draft order from the top? Shouldn't it go reverse order? IMO, reverse order makes the most sense to me since most teams that win the cup are the more desirable locations for UFAs - especially near the end of their careers. Additionally, cup teams are usually closer to the ceiling and require more significant pay raises (i.e. Blackhawks/Kings), meaning they may only be able to fit one guy in as a FA before they are essentially done. This method we have now just seems to make the process a little ridiculous when you see how there are like 5 teams with $50M in cap space - that is never going to happen IRL - and will just eat up all the FAs before they even get to #10 in the draft order haha. Idk, I haven't though it out completely but that's just one suggestion I have that I think we should keep in mind.

You only get one player that way. Once you use waiver priority, you go to the back of the line.
You have to weigh that against the ability to claim a player once season waivers begin as well.
Do you take a chance on a guy that has not played in the NHL or save it for a more known quantity as teams send a guy down to become compliant?
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:26 p.m.
Sorry, I'm here doing a couple things at once. Can someone list all the issues brought forth today in this thread in one post? Marco you were good at that with Whisper, perhaps you'd like to do it again haha ?
PrincessChloe and NateElder12 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:30 p.m.
Go Jackets
I think that Vegas UFA condition rico mentioned probably should be implemented, but if I'm being entirely honest I still don't quite understand how it works
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: matt59
I think that Vegas UFA condition rico mentioned probably should be implemented, but if I'm being entirely honest I still don't quite understand how it works

Same ahaha
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:37 p.m.
NateElder12
Quoting: ricochetii

You only get one player that way. Once you use waiver priority, you go to the back of the line.
You have to weigh that against the ability to claim a player once season waivers begin as well.
Do you take a chance on a guy that has not played in the NHL or save it for a more known quantity as teams send a guy down to become compliant?

So every time you sign a free agent you go to the back of the waiver list? I was under the understanding that you only had to use waiver priority if there was a tie. Meaning Vegas could out bid everyone for the first 10 FAs then use waiver priority from there on out. If it's after each FA then i guess that makes sense, but you would still think starting reverse draft order would make sense. It's like a bonus for doing good (FA) and you still get a bonus for being bad (high draft pick).

.. i think my issue comes with not understanding the Vegas portion completely too lol
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
Quoting: F50marco
My god we are making this as complicated as possible...Should of just had an open market without all these rules and regulations.

What's the point in signing KHL/INT players that will end up just playing in the KHL/INT forever? international bought out players, and even college players for that matter (Ones that weren't signed IRL I mean)

Those types of players won't be eligible. Only players from other leagues that signed in the NHL.

OK so only players who IRL are NHL'ers but not in our game are players we can sign?

Example,
Kevin Klein is not eligible to be signed?
Nathan Sucese is not eligible to be signed?
Alex Geogiev can be signed?
Spencer Foo can be signed?
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:47 p.m.
Banned
I think Vegas was given way too much power. IRL none of the big free agents are going to even consider Vegas but in this game he can sign them all. Sure it will be to 7 x $9 contracts but again that isn't realistic. Honestly though I am not sure how you go about fixing this issue other than limiting all teams to X number of FA's
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:49 p.m.

Those types of players won't be eligible. Only players from other leagues that signed in the NHL.

OK so only players who IRL are NHL'ers but not in our game are players we can sign?

Example,

Yes I believe that's correct
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
I think Vegas was given way too much power. IRL none of the big free agents are going to even consider Vegas but in this game he can sign them all. Sure it will be to 7 x $9 contracts but again that isn't realistic. Honestly though I am not sure how you go about fixing this issue other than limiting all teams to X number of FA's

A limit to the number of FAs is a good idea, I agree. Not sure what the limit should be tho?
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DavidBooth7

A limit to the number of FAs is a good idea, I agree. Not sure what the limit should be tho?

I would say 5 each but that still allows those teams to clean up any and all good UFAs. Or maybe we limit based on the salary levels? Say 1 guy over X dollars and 2 guys over X dollars. Something along those lines.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:03 p.m.
Go Habs Go

So every time you sign a free agent you go to the back of the waiver list? I was under the understanding that you only had to use waiver priority if there was a tie. Meaning Vegas could out bid everyone for the first 10 FAs then use waiver priority from there on out. If it's after each FA then i guess that makes sense, but you would still think starting reverse draft order would make sense. It's like a bonus for doing good (FA) and you still get a bonus for being bad (high draft pick).

.. i think my issue comes with not understanding the Vegas portion completely too lol

Just for ties, but the issue here was with the undrafted ones. Those that are limited to a max ELC contract. Since all teams will have the same bid, the one that is willing to use waiver priority (and go to the back of the line) first, is the one who will get the player.
A player is just as likely to sign with a rebuilding team in that instance, where they can become part of the core and play an important role. You're more likely to raise your impending UFA value by becoming a key player for a struggling team, than a complementary player for a competitive one.
For players that aren't limited to an ELC, more likely than not they will go to the team that offers them the most money/term. If you have the money to throw around (which most rebuilding teams will), you're just as likely to get the player as anyone else. If the bids are tied, you can again argue as to whether the player wants to be a big part of something new or a smaller part of something established. (See Shipachyov)

You can really argue either way, but waiver order is an already established process which gives lower teams an opportunity to improve.
Adding advantages to higher ranked teams makes less sense. At least this way, you get to move up as teams drop back.
NateElder12 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:07 p.m.
Is the Free Agency list thread good guys? Making sure that if any edits are needed I'd do them now
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:08 p.m.

Realistically, home team trumps vegas as long as they bid. Also there is only a finite amount of cap space Vegas or any team can use. So realistically they won't be able to sign them all.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.

Example,

Sucese is an FA per elite prospects
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.

Realistically, home team trumps vegas as long as they bid. Also there is only a finite amount of cap space Vegas or any team can use. So realistically they won't be able to sign them all.

They have 50M+....dang it I only have 3M in off season cap space...thanks a lot for Hansen Marco LOL
NateElder12 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:12 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Let me try again then. Sticking Out Tongue

1. Vegas had UFA negotiating rights. He technically would have had the opportunity to sign up to 30 pending UFA's.
2. Make a list of all 30 teams.
3. Reduce that number by 1 for every team he agreed to select a player from during expansion (via trade). Cross that team off the list.
4. The remaining teams are the ones he is allowed to use his rights against, but once he does, cross that team off the list (whether he wins the player or not).

For example:
Colorado gave Vegas a 6th for the agreement to select Yakupov. Cross Colorado off his list. If he is selecting Yakupov, he could not have targeted a Colorado UFA.
Nashville(?) agreed for an extra protection slot. They stay on the list. This agreement did not prevent Vegas from targeting a UFA at the time.
Columbus(?) agreed for Vegas not to select Korpisalo. They stay on the list. This agreement did not prevent Vegas from targeting a UFA at the time.
Washington had Shattenkirk's rights selected via expansion. Vegas has already claimed a UFA from that team. Cross Washington off his list.

Vegas can only match a bid, one time each, for each of the remaining teams on his list.

Understandable?
nobody liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:13 p.m.

1. Vegas had UFA negotiating rights. He technically would have had the opportunity to sign up to 30 pending UFA's.
3. Reduce that number by 1 for every team he agreed to select a player from during expansion (via trade). Cross that team off the list.
4. The remaining teams are the ones he is allowed to use his rights against, but once he does, cross that team off the list (whether he wins the player or not).

For example:
Colorado gave Vegas a 6th for the agreement to select Yakupov. Cross Colorado off his list. If he is selecting Yakupov, he could not have targeted a Colorado UFA.
Nashville(?) agreed for an extra protection slot. They stay on the list. This agreement did not prevent Vegas from targeting a UFA at the time.
Columbus(?) agreed for Vegas not to select Korpisalo. They stay on the list. This agreement did not prevent Vegas from targeting a UFA at the time.
Washington had Shattenkirk's rights selected via expansion. Vegas has already claimed a UFA from that team. Cross Washington off his list.

Vegas can only match a bid, one time each, for each of the remaining teams on his list.

Understandable?

perfect
ricochetii and NateElder12 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7

I would say 5 each but that still allows those teams to clean up any and all good UFAs. Or maybe we limit based on the salary levels? Say 1 guy over X dollars and 2 guys over X dollars. Something along those lines.

I feel like we're trying to do the exact opposite of what free agency is......... This is starting to look like structured agency. Automating any and all negotiating tactics and personal preference a GM may have.
NateElder12 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Example,

But not signed b a real team IRL. so therefore he is not eligible to be signed in our game.
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.

But not signed b a real team IRL. so therefore he is not eligible to be signed in our game.

thats not what I have been told - I've been told that CHL/NCAA are eligible regardless of contract status, INT'L players are not (fighting for INT'L players rn)
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.

For example:

Understandable?

I like it. If the BOG should vote on it, 1-0 (but we need BOG to vote ASAP...which won't happen Sticking Out Tongue)
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:21 p.m.

thats not what I have been told - I've been told that CHL/NCAA are eligible regardless of contract status, INT'L players are not (fighting for INT'L players rn)

So I guess even players who are 18 yo but not drafted yet are eligible????? Wasn't Matthews already 18 when he was drafted? Some kids are in College but haven't gone through the draft yet due to age at last draft...
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:23 p.m.

So I guess even players who are 18 yo but not drafted yet are eligible????? Wasn't Matthews already 18 when he was drafted? Some kids are in College but haven't gone through the draft yet due to age at last draft...

no, anyone younger than 20 is draft eligible. if they are over 20 by December 1st of the draft year, they are not-eligilbe
Jul. 27, 2017 at 1:29 p.m.
NateElder12

no, anyone younger than 20 is draft eligible. if they are over 20 by December 1st of the draft year, they are not-eligilbe

I get what Jabroni is saying. Guys over age 20 aren't going back in the draft so you'd have to sign them to own their rights. If said player is a FA still or only signed an ECHL or AHL contract like the Raddysh brother did we should be able to sign them to a college FA type deal as a way to own their rights, right? lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit