The Weber Experiment

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 8, 2022
Published: Mar. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just checking this out…

As I look at this roster, it seem obvious that the right thing for the Wild to do is still to trade Zuccarello. As is, this team is tiny and would easily get pushed around in the playoffs! I would much prefer Greenway over Zucc in this scenario.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
5$7,000,000
3$2,000,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Weber, Shea
Additional Details:
I have no idea what Weber would cost.
MTL
  1. Khovanov, Alexander
  2. 2022 4th round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Vilardi, Gabriel [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
What’s Vilardi’s story this year?

Am I even close here value-wise?
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$80,099,421$0$1,532,500$2,400,579
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:01 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: TanSor
Am I just dumb? I don't get how this "increases our cap". The idea of acquiring a LTIR player is so that you hit the cap floor but only pay 20% of that players salary since the other 80% is paid by insurance. I don't think it raises your cap. The way Tampa made it "raise their cap" is because cap is not accrued in the playoffs, so Kucherov was able to come off LTIR and they were over his cap hit by his AAV but that doesn't matter in the postseason. Weber is done, there's no coming back in the postseason for him.

Am I missing something?

😵‍💫 All I know is that when I slid Weber into the LTIR slot, his entire cap hit disappeared…
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
Billy739
Am I just dumb? I don't get how this "increases our cap". The idea of acquiring a LTIR player is so that you hit the cap floor but only pay 20% of that players salary since the other 80% is paid by insurance. I don't think it raises your cap. The way Tampa made it "raise their cap" is because cap is not accrued in the playoffs, so Kucherov was able to come off LTIR and they were over his cap hit by his AAV but that doesn't matter in the postseason. Weber is done, there's no coming back in the postseason for him.

Am I missing something?

Remember MTL fans pissed saying TBL cheated being 15m over the Cap?
Well it was Dirty but not Cheating
They used LTIR cap dumps to maximize their cap space
Its why they didnt get penalties and additional cap hit taken this year like CHI did when they did it to TBL
(CHI was over like 1.1m or something small that carried over but they also expertly used LTIR)
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Insurance is completely separate issue.
Not every player has insurance.
That is up to teams and each policy is done player by player.
It has no impact on salary cap - or what is actually due to player.
It is just a way a team can protect its cash flow.
Not related here.

Should have said up to 80%. But either way, I still don't understand how that increases your cap space
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:04 a.m.
Billy739

Am I missing something?

Long Story Short
Weber would cancel out the Suter buyout cap hit for most of its years
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
😵‍💫 All I know is that when I slid Weber into the LTIR slot, his entire cap hit disappeared…

Right, but if you make a team on this site where MTL gives you Weber, our cap space goes down by Webers amount, and then when you put him on LTIR it goes away, but it's still the same number it started at. It doesn't magically go up by $7.9M
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Billy739
Wont factor in
Greenway will leave and be happy about it
He'll be getting a bigger role and more minutes
He's exactly the type of Player we need

Greenway makes the most sense as it maximize's the cap MIN has access to i'd figure
I doubt he'll see it as to much of a trade down with Suzuki,Caufield, and Anderson lighting it up under MSL
He'll likely Draw in on 2nd line as MSL like a guy with Size who can use it on each line if possible
His first successul move was Anderson to LW with Suzuki-Caufield they're all over a PPG:
CSA line together for 8 games

Suzuki 4-9-13
Caufield 5-7-12
Anderson 6-1-7

Since he's been trying to find Armia a similar place on both wings for a similar role
reality is Armia plays physical but not the way Marty found success with Anderson or even Pezetta
Armia's a Workhorse while Anderson is more of a Rodeo Clown taking all the heat so those around him can move freely

Greenway will fit that Anderson role as he can also make Statement hits making room for guys like Gally or Pitlick to cruise on by playing their style

Greenway was just signed to 3 years extension to be on Joel Eriksson Ek and foligno line. This isn't about greenway being happy. He signed the extension because he's happy in Minnesota. Guerin also made it clear he's not breaking up the line.

Again, it's not realistic this will ever happen
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
Billy739
Right, but if you make a team on this site where MTL gives you Weber, our cap space goes down by Webers amount, and then when you put him on LTIR it goes away, but it's still the same number it started at. It doesn't magically go up by $7.9M

Think of it as not being the Standard opporating perameters
Instead an Abuse of Rules put in place to ensure Injuries dont handcuff Contending teams from filling holes

This is less about being Under the Cap
More about exploiting the rules to push it the the maximum cap possible without being Fined or taking a hit next year for it.
CHI and TBL both did it to win cups
CHI payed like 1.1m or somethings and TBL paid like 100k both due to Performance bonus's being triggered not the penalty for the actual base Cap/Contract itself

Its not about what Legally Acceptable
Its more about what you can Legally Exploit until they change the rules to stop it
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:14 a.m.
Long Story Short

How did you come to this conclusion?
The "savings" are only relative from cap hit to cash.
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:16 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Wildnochance
Greenway was just signed to 3 years extension to be on Joel Eriksson Ek and foligno line. This isn't about greenway being happy. He signed the extension because he's happy in Minnesota. Guerin also made it clear he's not breaking up the line.

Again, it's not realistic this will ever happen

I'm sorry but you're saying despite no insurance in his contract to stop it that a GM cant trade him because he's happy?
Tyler F'n Toffoli as MSL said "was our Captain even if he didnt have the C" and Suzuki was upset as Toffoli decided to come here to be his Mentor doing it well.
Even with his "Born to be a Habs " article that was really quite touching or his Wife being widely loved and accepted in Quebec which is rare (Angela Price is the only other one)
There was every reason including him signing here below market value on our terms

In the end he was happy because we traded him somewhere he'll be used well
He's happy to see us succeeding and Happy that he is as well

As Toffoli said "Pro hockey's a business , this isnt pick up with your friends "
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:17 a.m.
MNBassman

Correct. The cap doesn’t actually go up, but the Wild can be over the cap this summer and then put Weber on the LTIR and get $7.9m in cap relief.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
Billy739
How did you come to this conclusion?
The "savings" are only relative from cap hit to cash.

But more or less those savings will cover what Suter's buyout in this case equals
Correct?
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:20 a.m.
MNBassman
I'm sorry but you're saying despite no insurance in his contract to stop it that a GM cant trade him because he's happy?
Tyler F'n Toffoli as MSL said "was our Captain even if he didnt have the C" and Suzuki was upset as Toffoli decided to come here to be his Mentor doing it well.
Even with his "Born to be a Habs " article that was really quite touching or his Wife being widely loved and accepted in Quebec which is rare (Angela Price is the only other one)
There was every reason including him signing here below market value on our terms

As Toffoli said "Pro hockey's a business , this isnt pick up with your friends "

Way better said than I could have mustered!
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:35 a.m.
Should have said up to 80%. But either way, I still don't understand how that increases your cap space

It provides some relief to go above cap ceiling. Since MIN is just under cap now, if they added Weber, they would need $5.5 million that would come in LTIR relief. But they would be adding $7.8m cap hit, so it would give them less room to maneuver.

A few things I see going on here:

1. There is an off-season benefit (but things have to line up perfectly). Say you are at $81m with $82m cap and need Fiala to resign. And say he wants $10m a year. Off-season rules would allow you add 110% of cap ceiling onto roster ($90.2m). So the most you could sign Fiala for would be $9.2m (90.2 - 81 = 9.2). But if you add LTIRetired player at $8m a year, you be at $89m with $90m ceiling and off-season limit of $99m. So then you could sign Fiala at $10m a year (99 - 89 = 10). This was the Marner / Clarkson example a few years ago. But there are few instances where this actually helps.

2. There could be cash-flow reasons that could be beneficial if they are moving other cap out. And I think some a confusing these "savings" with a reduction in buyout penalties. They are not related and there is no way to pay down one with the other.

3. Insurance is completely unrelated. And each policy is taken out by teams as they see fit. Some policies are transferable, some are not. Considering the size of Weber's contract and his age, I am sure that the Habs had a policy on him. And we have no idea if that policy is transferable. If its not, a new team would not be able to get insurance on him now. But this is all cash flow conversation for the team and completed unrelated to salary cap.
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:37 a.m.
Banned

Yeah, a player just signed to 3 years extension that hasn't even started is going to be traded. People here don't live in reality. Our gm also made it clear he's not breaking up the line of Joel Eriksson Ek and foligno with greenway. This is very simple, a gm doesn't sign player to extension to trade them
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:38 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
Correct. The cap doesn’t actually go up, but the Wild can be over the cap this summer and then put Weber on the LTIR and get $7.9m in cap relief.

Long Story Short

I still don't see how that lets us exceed the cap limit if all our other players contracts are still above the projected $82.5M ceiling.

For example:
Say our players (other than Weber) are signed above the ceiling in the offseason, say $83.5M. We acquire Weber (for simplicity, using $8M for his cap hit), and we'd be at $91.5M cap hit. You put him on LTIR, gaining $8M in relief, but that still puts you over the cap at $83.5M...
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:41 a.m.
Billy739
Yeah, a player just signed to 3 years extension that hasn't even started is going to be traded. People here don't live in reality. Our gm also made it clear he's not breaking up the line of Joel Eriksson Ek and foligno with greenway. This is very simple, a gm doesn't sign player to extension to trade them

Provide the Quotes
Its REALLY bizarre for a GM to dictate line combinations
As a rule the generic comment they all give is "coaching decisions are coaches calls"
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
Banned
Provide the Quotes
Its REALLY bizarre for a GM to dictate line combinations
As a rule the generic comment they all give is "coaching decisions are coaches calls"

Go look it up. Guerin made the comment when he resigned him. Guerin has always had a say in lineup decisions since he got here. When the line was broken apart, they were put together and have been Dominant since being put together. that is why greenway was resigned and why Guerin made it clear he has no intention of breaking the 3 of them up
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:50 a.m.
It provides some relief to go above cap ceiling. Since MIN is just under cap now, if they added Weber, they would need $5.5 million that would come in LTIR relief. But they would be adding $7.8m cap hit, so it would give them less room to maneuver.

A few things I see going on here:

1. There is an off-season benefit (but things have to line up perfectly). Say you are at $81m with $82m cap and need Fiala to resign. And say he wants $10m a year. Off-season rules would allow you add 110% of cap ceiling onto roster ($90.2m). So the most you could sign Fiala for would be $9.2m (90.2 - 81 = 9.2). But if you add LTIRetired player at $8m a year, you be at $89m with $90m ceiling and off-season limit of $99m. So then you could sign Fiala at $10m a year (99 - 89 = 10). This was the Marner / Clarkson example a few years ago. But there are few instances where this actually helps.

2. There could be cash-flow reasons that could be beneficial if they are moving other cap out. And I think some a confusing these "savings" with a reduction in buyout penalties. They are not related and there is no way to pay down one with the other.

3. Insurance is completely unrelated. And each policy is taken out by teams as they see fit. Some policies are transferable, some are not. Considering the size of Weber's contract and his age, I am sure that the Habs had a policy on him. And we have no idea if that policy is transferable. If its not, a new team would not be able to get insurance on him now. But this is all cash flow conversation for the team and completed unrelated to salary cap.

But in your Fiala example you're still over the cap by $7M when the season starts and would still be subject to penalty
Billy739 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
Billy739
Go look it up. Guerin made the comment when he resigned him. Guerin has always had a say in lineup decisions since he got here. When the line was broken apart, they were put together and have been Dominant since being put together. that is why greenway was resigned and why Guerin made it clear he has no intention of breaking the 3 of them up

The Onus isnt on me to prove your point
Why would i try to Prove your arguement Fact?
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:53 a.m.
Billy739
But in your Fiala example you're still over the cap by $7M when the season starts and would still be subject to penalty

Yeah i dunno anymore
I thought i was catching on to what he was saying
I clearly was not lol

All i know is TBL used it last year to avoid real penalties
I get who they used and that there was no real penalties
Beyond that i appear to be confused as to the how or why still
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: RazWild
Tell Julien BriseBois that when he traded for first Marian Gaborik's contract two years ago and then Brent Seabrook's contract last season to for the express purpose to stick them on LTIR to gain spending room up to their cap hits for other players to field a full teams roster and remain under the cap ceiling because of it.

The contracts he brought in would of pushed the Lighting over the cap, but having the LTIR contracts offset them and allowed the team to stay cap compliant.

Seabrook was traded to dump Johnson, which was the real cap savings for them. But we would need to fit Webers deal under the cap before putting him on LTI then they just open up the space they used on Weber. Maybe they could get move deadline flexibility with that LTI pool but the don’t get more space. And it’s a dangerous game going to LTI when Boldy and Rossi are gonna get their full bonuses.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:57 a.m.
Banned
The Onus isnt on me to prove your point
Why would i try to Prove your arguement Fact?

Can show you others also. I will never understand how on this site people believe a GM that just signed a player to extension will trade them without their new contract starting, something that doesn't happen in NHL

https://mobile.twitter.com/PONDcast/status/1488256790185734145
Mar. 8, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: jnowariak
Seabrook was traded to dump Johnson, which was the real cap savings for them. But we would need to fit Webers deal under the cap before putting him on LTI then they just open up the space they used on Weber. Maybe they could get move deadline flexibility with that LTI pool but the don’t get more space. And it’s a dangerous game going to LTI when Boldy and Rossi are gonna get their full bonuses.

"Tampa Bay acquired contracts of LTIR Marian Gaborik ($4.875M) and LTIR Anders Nilsson ($2.6M) from Ottawa, in exchange for veteran Brayden Coburn, versatile depth forward Cedrique Paquette and a 2022 2nd round draft pick. Tampa Bay acquires $7.475M in LTIR contracts while shedding $3.35M in active contracts. This transaction grants TB the ability to spend $4.125M more through LTIR contracts and ensures that the Lightning are cap compliant and have valuable cap flexibility ahead of the 2020-21 season. This ability to retain most of his Stanley Cup championship core of players and leveraging CBA rules around LTIR contracts speaks to the GM of the Year nominee. It is worth noting that Coburn has a NMC which may have prevented the transaction from being concluded, and yet GM BriseBois was able to secure approval of his veteran defenseman prior to the trade"

- thehockeycode.com/nhl-salary-cap-analysis/
RazWild and jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 10:21 a.m.
Billy739
Can show you others also. I will never understand how on this site people believe a GM that just signed a player to extension will trade them without their new contract starting, something that doesn't happen in NHL

https://mobile.twitter.com/PONDcast/status/1488256790185734145

"We signed a player to this contract because *Lists Reasons* and this Player was happy to have signed a Contract "

Wow sounds like every press release ever made
In Proper English he sounded like he was trying to Justify his choice in Term
Sounds like Marc Bergavin talking about his Andrew Shaw deal
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
Banned
"We signed a player to this contract because *Lists Reasons* and this Player was happy to have signed a Contract "

Wow sounds like every press release ever made
In Proper English he sounded like he was trying to Justify his choice in Term
Sounds like Marc Bergavin talking about his Andrew Shaw deal

You Clearly have no idea how Guerin value his players like foligno, greenway, Hartman, ek, etc.. also Michael Russo who covers wild has made it clear he's going nowhere.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll