Forums/Armchair-GM

Bertuzzi

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 16, 2022
Published: Mar. 16, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I've watched Bertuzzi enough to know that I really like his game, especially if he were on the Bruins. A Marchand mentality with a goal scoring touch. I'd like to see him be more physical and there are some injury concerns, but nevertheless a solid player. Admittedly, I haven't watched the Red Wings enough to know if Bertuzzi is just as good on his off side as he is his natural side. If so, I would love to see the Bruins go after him for the RW1 role. DeBrusk's lacking effort and defense doesn't fit with Marchand and Bergeron and is bringing the line down. Bertuzzi would make them more difficult to play against and would jumpstart the offense. He's signed through next season at a number similar to DeBrusk's QO and is a much better value. If the Bruins can avoid the Leafs in the Atlantic bracket and the Flames or Oilers in a potential Cup final, the vaccine issue doesn't matter either. Bs have two games in Canada after the deadline and the vaccine mandate should go away next year. Not a bad bargaining chip to lower the price though.

Thinking ahead, I also like the idea that having Bertuzzi could give the Bs a shot at Larkin in 2023. I have long believed that the heir apparent to Bergeron could be found in the 2023 UFA class, which is why I wouldn't sell the farm for anyone this year or bankrupt the cap by overpaying in a below average class this summer. While MacKinnon will inevitably re-sign in Colorado, you still have Bo Horvat, JT Miller, and Ryan O'Reilly, or my favorite target, Larkin- however unlikely. If adding Bertuzzi increases the odds of prying Larkin out of Michigan by even 1%, I would take it. Doesn't hurt that he's a clear upgrade.
Trades
DET
  1. Beecher, John [Reserve List]
  2. Berglund, Victor
  3. DeBrusk, Jake
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (CGY)
PHI
  1. Olson, Quinn [Reserve List]
  2. Senyshyn, Zach
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,167,341$1,956,507$625,000$1,332,659

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,375,000$2,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$412,500$412,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:50 a.m.
While maybe there's something here for us to work out for Bertuzzi, I don't think this is it. It seems (just looking at stats) that Beecher hasn't improved while in college (though you're on the right track as we do need a C), and Berglund has recently been demoted to the ECHL so he has no value to us (especially on RD).
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:53 a.m.
The bruins need a center not a winger.

Your explanation for if the bruins get Bertuzzi then Larkin will come to the bruins makes no sense he’s the captain of his hometown team he grew up idolizing why would he ever want to leave? StevieY would also be able to offer more money for him they will have plenty of cap room.
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
Honestly I don't think you are close in value, I'm not really a fan of Beecher but he does play the position we would probably use Bertuzzi for.
aedoran and Billy12Bob liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
That does not land Bertuzzi. At least one piece going back to Detroit is going to have to hurt and none of these pieces are even close to good enough for Detroit to part with him.
aedoran and Billy12Bob liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 11:58 a.m.
Both are declined pretty quickly.

3rd might get you Braun. Olson and Seny have little to no value.

Bertuzzi starts with a 1st.

Nobody is taking Debrusk without an extension with a paycut in place unless they are giving up little. Debrusk will not be the primary piece of a trade where Boston upgrades. He’d be a secondary piece in that scenario.
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Banned
Edited Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Get real here, Bertuzzi > DeBrusk John Beecher at best translates to no more then a 3C/4C/3LW that we already have an overabundance of. And Victor Berglund RD prospect Detroit already has the best LD/RD prospect pool in the league. Honestly if you're going to make an effort on a trade. At least know what our needs are like 2C and top 4 LD. And you can forget about Dylan Larkin ever donning a Bruins jersey. According to Wings insider Max Bultman Yzerman and Larkins agent are already working on a lucrative long term deal possibly in the 8 x $8,500,000 to 8 x $9,000,000 per range. our Captain is absolutely going nowhere.
aedoran and DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Datsyukian
So much wrong here even after the trade.

Injury concerns? Shot at Larkin? Oilers in the Cup Final?
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Both are declined pretty quickly.

3rd might get you Braun. Olson and Seny have little to no value.

Bertuzzi starts with a 1st.

Nobody is taking Debrusk without an extension with a paycut in place unless they are giving up little.

I don't follow your logic. "Both are declined pretty quickly" but "3rd might get Braun" in a trade that includes a third? Brassard is not worth that much given his season to say the trade is declined quickly even though Braun, the more valuable piece, is worth the third leaving Olson and Senyshyn for Brassard. Olson is himself a recent third-round pick and the top play-maker on one of the best teams in the NCAA - not exactly "little to no value". Senyshyn is just a throw in as he has requested a trade and Philly can give him a look down the stretch before he's a UFA.

As for the Bertuzzi deal, you all may be right that it's not enough. I think that's very possible. However I also think the vaccine issue hurts his value and the return is being underrated. DeBrusk has already said he's willing to sign an extension below his QO, which makes him more valuable to Detroit. The Wings are no longer in the early stages of a rebuild and could use a player in his prime in return for Bertuzzi. If anyone outside of Boston has a good read on Beecher, it's Detroit who watched him play down the road at Michigan the last three years. He's still considered the Bruins' first or second-best center prospect, which is what the Wings need. I personally believe that Beecher has the physical tools to be a late bloomer in the pros and I didn't give him up easily. Berglund is a tough call because I have not been impressed with his progression, but some prospect pundits still like his potential. If bumping up the pick to a second or conditional first (w/ strict conditions) or "upgrading" Beecher to Steen or Studnicka or Berglund to Ahcan, Mast, or Gallagher gets the job done, I would still make the deal.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: Datsyukian
So much wrong here even after the trade.

Injury concerns? Shot at Larkin? Oilers in the Cup Final?

Bertuzzi missed almost all of last season due to back surgery. Or did you forget? And I covered my bases with all potential Canadian playoff opponents if you're reading carefully.

I admitted that Larkin was a longshot hence the 1% note. Just saying that it doesn't hurt the Bruins chances of signing him, which is absolutely true even if their current odds are slim to none. If that's the biggest sticking point of this mock, you're all just looking for something to scream about lol.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
Buffbry
Wings pass, not close to what they would be looking for
aedoran, DeadWingsv2, TampaBayLightning22 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: bruinsdude77
I don't follow your logic. "Both are declined pretty quickly" but "3rd might get Braun" in a trade that includes a third? Brassard is not worth that much given his season to say the trade is declined quickly even though Braun, the more valuable piece, is worth the third leaving Olson and Senyshyn for Brassard. Olson is himself a recent third-round pick and the top play-maker on one of the best teams in the NCAA - not exactly "little to no value". Senyshyn is just a throw in as he has requested a trade and Philly can give him a look down the stretch before he's a UFA.

As for the Bertuzzi deal, you all may be right that it's not enough. I think that's very possible. However I also think the vaccine issue hurts his value and the return is being underrated. DeBrusk has already said he's willing to sign an extension below his QO, which makes him more valuable to Detroit. The Wings are no longer in the early stages of a rebuild and could use a player in his prime in return for Bertuzzi. If anyone outside of Boston has a good read on Beecher, it's Detroit who watched him play down the road at Michigan the last three years. He's still considered the Bruins' first or second-best center prospect, which is what the Wings need. I personally believe that Beecher has the physical tools to be a late bloomer in the pros and I didn't give him up easily. Berglund is a tough call because I have not been impressed with his progression, but some prospect pundits still like his potential. If bumping up the pick to a second or conditional first (w/ strict conditions) or "upgrading" Beecher to Steen or Studnicka or Berglund to Ahcan, Mast, or Gallagher gets the job done, I would still make the deal.

Olson does not project to be an NHLer. Beecher projects to be a 4th liner who has produced little offense in college. Debrusk is closer to a detriment than he is an asset at this point. You have no primary piece in the Wings trade ie a 1st or a high end prospect. Just a bunch of meh.

Think you overvalue here.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
Datsyukian
Bertuzzi missed almost all of last season due to back surgery. Or did you forget? And I covered my bases with all potential Canadian playoff opponents if you're reading carefully.

I admitted that Larkin was a longshot hence the 1% note. Just saying that it doesn't hurt the Bruins chances of signing him, which is absolutely true even if their current odds are slim to none. If that's the biggest sticking point of this mock, you're all just looking for something to scream about lol.

Ya that doesn't fall under injury concerns haha that's called back surgery. He's healed and quite productive. The vaccine issue will be a distant memory soon.

This trade doesn't even come close.
RedWing9119 and DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
Ya that doesn't fall under injury concerns haha that's called back surgery. He's healed and quite productive. The vaccine issue will be a distant memory soon.

This trade doesn't even come close.

Oh right, spinal issues are never long-term concerns for professional athletes...
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Olson does not project to be an NHLer. Beecher projects to be a 4th liner who has produced little offense in college. Debrusk is closer to a detriment than he is an asset at this point. You have no primary piece in the Wings trade ie a 1st or a high end prospect. Just a bunch of meh.

Think you overvalue here.

Just writing off Olson because you don't know anything about him is silly. He's a 20-year-old kid with three NCAA seasons under his belt already having a better season than say Karson Kuhlman ever did at UMD. But sure he doesn't project to be an NHLer you say. I'm including him in a deal for Derrick Brassard, a 34-year-old UFA on a definite seller who has been injured for much of the year. Flyers would absolutely take Olson for him and you yourself already said a 3rd gets Braun.

Beecher is also just 20 with three NCAA seasons and has been buried on the Michigan depth chart and dealt with injuries last year. There is still too much unknown to call him fourth line or bust. I'm not alone in maintaining value on him either. He's still considered a top-five Bruins prospect by most.

I'm no DeBrusk fan, but to call him a detriment is not fair. In a regular top-six role in Detroit, who has the cap space to give him a look, he's probably a 20/40 guy. The Wings only have three forwards with over 30 points right now, one of which is Bertuzzi. They could use DeBrusk.

Think you undervalue here.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
Just writing off Olson because you don't know anything about him is silly. He's a 20-year-old kid with three NCAA seasons under his belt already having a better season than say Karson Kuhlman ever did at UMD. But sure he doesn't project to be an NHLer you say. I'm including him in a deal for Derrick Brassard, a 34-year-old UFA on a definite seller who has been injured for much of the year. Flyers would absolutely take Olson for him and you yourself already said a 3rd gets Braun.

Beecher is also just 20 with three NCAA seasons and has been buried on the Michigan depth chart and dealt with injuries last year. There is still too much unknown to call him fourth line or bust. I'm not alone in maintaining value on him either. He's still considered a top-five Bruins prospect by most.

I'm no DeBrusk fan, but to call him a detriment is not fair. In a regular top-six role in Detroit, who has the cap space to give him a look, he's probably a 20/40 guy. The Wings only have three forwards with over 30 points right now, one of which is Bertuzzi. They could use DeBrusk.

Think you undervalue here.

I know who Olson is, he’s nothing special, will just be a spare part.

Debrusks contract situation is the issue, not his talent.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.

But the vaccine issue isn't a problem to Detroit so why would they discount him for that reason to another team?

If you were trading DeBrusk for a player Fabbri or Suter then yeah he would be under valuing him but Bertuzzi has been the 2nd best player on the Wings for the last couple of seasons.

I posted this yesterday about Bertuzzi's value:

Bertuzzi is just below a point a game and out of the players who could traded is the best in that group. Yzerman traded Mantha for 1st, a 2nd, Vrana and Panik (who was just there to make the cap work. Bertuzzi is way more consistent and has improved each season. When Mantha was traded his point totals had gone down for the second straight season. I'd like to think Yzerman would want more for Bertuzzi, now I don't see anyone paying that much but I also don't see him being traded.
Datsyukian and RedWing9119 liked this.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 1:06 p.m.

Detroit is actively trying to trade Bertuzzi, Yzerman said he'd listen to offers. In this situation it would be Boston submitting an offer for Bertuzzi. You are right he had disc replacement surgery and he refuses to get vaxed but both of these things aren't a problem for Detroit. So they aren't going to discount him for those reasons.

I understood what you meant about Larkin and I agree there is less than a 1% he plays for another team. Now if you want to become a Wings fan we will welcome you with open arms.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Datsyukian
Quoting: aedoran
Detroit is actively trying to trade Bertuzzi, Yzerman said he'd listen to offers. In this situation it would be Boston submitting an offer for Bertuzzi. You are right he had disc replacement surgery and he refuses to get vaxed but both of these things aren't a problem for Detroit. So they aren't going to discount him for those reasons.

I understood what you meant about Larkin and I agree there is less than a 1% he plays for another team. Now if you want to become a Wings fan we will welcome you with open arms.

IDK if "actively" trying to trade him is the right word. I think Yzerman is sitting back and listening to offers but isn't going to budge unless something knocks his socks off.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.

Bert plays both sides equally well - Debrusk only plays on the left.
Bert scores a point per game - Debrusk half of that.
Bert has a year still on his contract - Debrusk doesn't.

Any discussion for Bert has to start with a direct replacement - like Pasta and then add to make it interesting enough to consider.
Mar. 16, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
IDK if "actively" trying to trade him is the right word. I think Yzerman is sitting back and listening to offers but isn't going to budge unless something knocks his socks off.

I think he meant to say "isn't".
Mar. 16, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
Datsyukian
Quoting: RedWing9119
I think he meant to say "isn't".

Haha I think you're right.
RedWing9119 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll