Non sexy AGM choosing Mikheyev over Kerfoot and Lyubushikin over Holl

Created by: Britishbulldog
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 3, 2022
Published: Apr. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No exciting Nylander trades, etc.

Simply figuring we need to choose either Mikheyev or Kerfoot and I like both players. The difference with taking Kerfoot's money and giving it to Mikheyev and is we can see what you can get in a trade for Kerfoot for assets (most likely picks I hope) where if you keep Kerfoot you will lose Mikheyev as a UFA for nothing.

Same with Lyubushikin over Holl. Younger and more physical Lyubushkin for Holl "contract" would allow Holl to be moved for assets (most likely picks I hope) where if you keep Holl you will lose Lyubushkin as a UFA for nothing.

Also giving a "Dermott" contract $1.5-ish MIL x 2 years for Sandin and Liljegren would tie the Leafs over for the 2 years where more Cap space when it is supposedly going to increase because the player's escrow will be finally paid off.

Signing Speeza to a league minimum contract if he doesn't get 9 more points this year so that he can hit 1000 career points as a Leaf.

Curve ball is Mrazek's buyout which we all know is $1,033,333 next season and $833,333 the next before the Salary Cap increases. If he "Ben Bishop's" this summer and goes on LTIR with these bad injuries he keeps getting throughout his career then his Cap Hit can certainly be traded to a low salaried team. If not then Dubas will have to get creative.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
3$2,000,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
7$2,000,000
7$3,500,000
2$1,000,000
1$750,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,543,116$212,500$0-$43,116
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
I'd be surprised if Mikheyev re-signed with the Leafs. Didn't he request to be traded?
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Lambchopz17
I like what’s going on here, but I think that is both too much money and too much term for Mikheyev. Something along the lines of a 3x3 contract is more ideal for him. 7 years is way too much for him and Boosh as well. Campbell I think gets 1/2 years, don’t want to make a major commitment on him when we really don’t know the type of goalie he is. One last thing, I would like to see Robertson in a full time role. Maybe Robertson 2LW and move Mikheyev to 3rd line, Kase moves down to 4RW and Simmer out
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Lambchopz17
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
I'd be surprised if Mikheyev re-signed with the Leafs. Didn't he request to be traded?

He requested to be traded when he wasn’t getting much ice time, which obviously has changed. I think he’ll want to stick around with the minutes he’s been getting, though there is no way to actually know
palhal and Britishbulldog liked this.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gotta think Mrazek and his M NTC contract is now analmost impossible trade. If Lybushin is so much better than Holl, wouldn't a team sign him to a contact that pays over 2m? I certainly wouldn't want Dalmstrom as the 7th Dman, cause injuries happen , and the 7th Dman gee plays 50 games a year.
I don't know why Leaf fans are so adverse to trading Nylander....he has two years left till UFA and has trade value. Gotta think the Leafs would be better next year having Kerfoot and Holl at a total of 5.5 next season that one Nylander at 7m
Seven year contracts for Lybushin and Mikheyev?
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
Roster Architect
Edited Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
I think Mikheyev walks if his number starts with a 3. Not that he’s worth it or not, but you’ve heard all rumours about Toronto and their cap space issues and potentially moving Kerfoot, that’s just gonna be moved to Mikheyev then. Their plan is to have their core in place and fill out cheap spots around then - Knies can do that same job and for almost $2.5m less.

Engavll likely isn’t getting that much of a raise, it’ll be a small one at best or he walks. Again just don’t need that much cap space for a depth guy.

I think it’s smart to give Liljegren the Dermott deal, but I’d lock Sandin up for something like Brent Burns got outta his ELC (4 years x $3.55m). He’s gonna be in the top 4 next year and a long term commitment now could turn into a steal of a deal - I’d look hard at $4m over 6 years for him.

Campbell isn’t getting $4m. Far too inconsistent and just don’t need to spend that much on a goalie. The team has shown it can be dominate defensively and they need a league average goalie to make the key saves and not an expensive guy - I’d guess he’d be lucky to get $3m right now. Campbell has no leverage and if that’s his number I think they go to the market and find someone to save some room for their roster.

Lastly, I’m calling it now (my hot take for the summer):

Nylander for Konecny
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: palhal
Gotta think Mrazek and his M NTC contract is now analmost impossible trade. If Lybushin is so much better than Holl, wouldn't a team sign him to a contact that pays over 2m? I certainly wouldn't want Dalmstrom as the 7th Dman, cause injuries happen , and the 7th Dman gee plays 50 games a year.
I don't know why Leaf fans are so adverse to trading Nylander....he has two years left till UFA and has trade value. Gotta think the Leafs would be better next year having Kerfoot and Holl at a total of 5.5 next season that one Nylander at 7m

Mrazek is an easy buyout candidate or LTIR guy for teams looking to take on cap space and get some assets outta a deal. Very good chance he could be moved.

Nylander doesn’t make over $7m next season. His cap hit is $6.9m and his real money is $6m.

Do your research next time.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: TrueCanuck
I think Mikheyev walks if his number starts with a 3. Not that he’s worth it or not, it you’ve heard all rumours about Toronto and their cap space issues and potentially moving Kerfoot, that’s just gonna be moved to Mikheyev then. Their plan is to have their core in place and fill out cheap spots around then - Knies can do that same job and for almost $2.5m less.

Engavll likely isn’t getting that much of a raise, it’ll be a small one at best or he walks. Again just don’t need that much cap space for a depth guy.

I think it’s smart to give Liljegren the Dermott deal, but I’d lock Sandin up for something like Brent Burns got outta his ELC (4 years x $3.55m). He’s gonna be in the top 4 next year and a long term commitment now could turn into a steal of a deal - I’d look hard at $4m over 6 years for him.

Campbell isn’t getting $4m. Far too inconsistent and just don’t need to spend that much on a goalie. The team has shown it can be dominate defensively and they need a league average goalie to make the key saves and not an expensive guy - I’d guess he’d be lucky to get $3m right now. Campbell has no leverage and if that’s his Humber I think they go to the market and find someone to save some room for their roster.

Nylander for Konecny

Oh boy. I like Willy Nylander. But those Philly fans would eat him alive. He's the exact opposite of what they like in a player.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

You're correct that he requested a trade during the summer but this year has gone much better for him in usage. He didn't hate the team or city, he was looking for more opportunity which he now has been given.

Milstein is his agent though and could feel that Mikheyev is worth $6 MIL or something so you also maybe right on the Leafs not able to re-sign him. I hope he does though based on the chemistry he has with his Leaf teammates.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
Roster Architect
Oh boy. I like Willy Nylander. But those Philly fans would eat him alive. He's the exact opposite of what they like in a player.

Philly had interest in him before and it was talked about a deal involving Nylander for Konency. Fans are fans - management makes deals that they like and there’s a good chance it’s revisited after the season that both teams have had.

Flyers get more offence, Leafs get a guy that can score with bite to his game. It’s a win win
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:33 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: Britishbulldog
You're correct that he requested a trade during the summer but this year has gone much better for him in usage. He didn't hate the team or city, he was looking for more opportunity which he now has been given.

Milstein is his agent though and could feel that Mikheyev is worth $6 MIL or something so you also maybe right on the Leafs not able to re-sign him. I hope he does though based on the chemistry he has with his Leaf teammates.

Wasn't Mikheyev playing RW at the time he requested the trade? He prefers playing LW which he's playing now. Mikheyev seems to have gotten over his wrist Injury. He's had a very good season. The work ethic and speed were always there. He's just scoring more now. I'd take him in Detroit but we have so many young players to give opportunities to.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Philly had interest in him before and it was talked about a deal involving Nylander for Konency. Fans are fans - management makes deals that they like and there’s a good chance it’s revisited after the season that both teams have had.

Flyers get more offence, Leafs get a guy that can score with bite to his game. It’s a win win

The time to fleece Philly is now while Fletcher is still GM. He keeps ruining that team after Hexy set him up beautifully.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 11:36 a.m.
Roster Architect
The time to fleece Philly is now while Fletcher is still GM. He keeps ruining that team after Hexy set him up beautifully.

I wouldn’t say a straight up deal of Nylander for Konecny is a fleece - if anything Toronto is getting fleeced. Nylander has far more value IMO but deals are never 50/50 so you never know
Apr. 3, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: Lambchopz
He requested to be traded when he wasn’t getting much ice time, which obviously has changed. I think he’ll want to stick around with the minutes he’s been getting, though there is no way to actually know

That's exactly it. And he didnt get the ice time because he didn't earn it. Now he has.
He'll be a leaf if his contract fits their cap
Lambchopz liked this.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
I think Mikheyev walks if his number starts with a 3. Not that he’s worth it or not, but you’ve heard all rumours about Toronto and their cap space issues and potentially moving Kerfoot, that’s just gonna be moved to Mikheyev then. Their plan is to have their core in place and fill out cheap spots around then - Knies can do that same job and for almost $2.5m less.

Campbell isn’t getting $4m. Far too inconsistent and just don’t need to spend that much on a goalie. The team has shown it can be dominate defensively and they need a league average goalie to make the key saves and not an expensive guy - I’d guess he’d be lucky to get $3m right now. Campbell has no leverage and if that’s his number I think they go to the market and find someone to save some room for their roster.

Nylander for Konecny

Nylander is much better than konecny, thats an awful idea for the leafs
Apr. 3, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please
I wouldn’t say a straight up deal of Nylander for Konecny is a fleece - if anything Toronto is getting fleeced. Nylander has far more value IMO but deals are never 50/50 so you never know

No disrepect to Konecny but I would hope for someone even better if we were to move Nylander. I know I beat on Nylander a lot but he has great skill is 6'0" over 200 lbs and is getting in the dirty areas more now. Doesn't play the body like Pastarnak or even DeBrincat but he is almost a PPG player.
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Britishbulldog
No disrepect to Konecny but I would hope for someone even better if we were to move Nylander. I know I beat on Nylander a lot but he has great skill is 6'0" over 200 lbs and is getting in the dirty areas more now. Doesn't play the body like Pastarnak or even DeBrincat but he is almost a PPG player.

Don’t judge Konecny by his size or points the last 2 seasons - he’s been on a terrible team. He can put up 60-70 points while still being an agitator (a lesser Brad Marchand). He’s consistent too and if you give him an actual good centre like Tavares, that point total could go up to a ppg pretty quickly while adding that “grit” and pain in the ass element that Toronto needs. Think about him like a much higher skilled Bunting - you now get 2 of those players on separate lines and you’re gonna drive the other team nuts. & actually Nic Robertson is a similar player too so you could have 3 of those guys which opens up the ice more for other guys.

Nylander is 100% more skilled and valuable - don’t get me wrong I completely agree with that. But trades are never 50/50 and Toronto always has to pay the “Leafs tax” on every deal and lose some value (hence the Hagel & Fleury rumour at the deadline). Nylander just isn’t consistent at all. When he’s on, he’s dominant - in my opinion he’s a top 10 player on the league when he’s really on. But he’s never consistently on top of his game and he hurts other players production when he’s not (look at Tavares’ numbers this season). On top of that there’s little to not effort on defence from him. Nylander’a contract is better with his actual money owed being less than his cap hit (Konecny’s is opposite of that) but what Toronto is adding is an element they don’t have much of in the system which is a guy that’s a proven scorer but is a pain in the ass to play against. Could there be a little more added in? Sure. But again trades are never 50/50 and if it adds something that helps the team then it’s worth doing it
Britishbulldog liked this.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: palhal

Nylander at 7 is without a doubt better than Kerfoot and Holl. Both players are easily replaceable, nylander is incredibly hard to replace.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Owly

Nylander for Konecny

The Leafs lose that trade. Nylander is far better than Konecny.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
Owly
Don’t judge Konecny by his size or points the last 2 seasons - he’s been on a terrible team. He can put up 60-70 points while still being an agitator (a lesser Brad Marchand). He’s consistent too and if you give him an actual good centre like Tavares, that point total could go up to a ppg pretty quickly while adding that “grit” and pain in the ass element that Toronto needs. Think about him like a much higher skilled Bunting - you now get 2 of those players on separate lines and you’re gonna drive the other team nuts. & actually Nic Robertson is a similar player too so you could have 3 of those guys which opens up the ice more for other guys.

Nylander is 100% more skilled and valuable - don’t get me wrong I completely agree with that. But trades are never 50/50 and Toronto always has to pay the “Leafs tax” on every deal and lose some value (hence the Hagel & Fleury rumour at the deadline). Nylander just isn’t consistent at all. When he’s on, he’s dominant - in my opinion he’s a top 10 player on the league when he’s really on. But he’s never consistently on top of his game and he hurts other players production when he’s not (look at Tavares’ numbers this season). On top of that there’s little to not effort on defence from him. Nylander’a contract is better with his actual money owed being less than his cap hit (Konecny’s is opposite of that) but what Toronto is adding is an element they don’t have much of in the system which is a guy that’s a proven scorer but is a pain in the ass to play against. Could there be a little more added in? Sure. But again trades are never 50/50 and if it adds something that helps the team then it’s worth doing it

Don't judge Konecny on his past 2 years but he's consistent. Does this not seem like a stretch? He has been inconsistent for 2 years but will be great with better players but is being traded for one of those better players. What if he doesn't find chemistry with JT? Now we moved a game breaker for a lesser player because you hope he'll be more than he is. Just keep Nylander.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Don't judge Konecny on his past 2 years but he's consistent. Does this not seem like a stretch? He has been inconsistent for 2 years but will be great with better players but is being traded for one of those better players. What if he doesn't find chemistry with JT? Now we moved a game breaker for a lesser player because you hope he'll be more than he is. Just keep Nylander.

You’re literally only judging Konecny by his points.. cool story. Konecny brings an element that Toronto doesn’t have. He’s also responsible defensively much better than Nylander - & what I mean by consistency is the fact that he’s going to give you the same effort on defence as he does on offence.

Tavares has the ability to make players around him better - look at what he did with Josh Bailey and Kyle Okposo. He does is with Nylander too - when Nylander’a in a slump, it’s usually Tavares that helps pull him out of it. Tavares is also at his best when he plays with guys that play with speed and move more north-south. Hats not Nylander. Nylander is an east-west guy with speed and that’s why the chemistry is more inconsistent. Konecny suits Tavares’ style better. & if he doesn’t work out, try him with Matthews and put Marner with Tavares. It still works.

But hey just cause you disagree doesn’t me you have to resort to insults. Doesn’t seem necessary.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please
Quoting: Lambchopz
I like what’s going on here, but I think that is both too much money and too much term for Mikheyev. Something along the lines of a 3x3 contract is more ideal for him. 7 years is way too much for him and Boosh as well. Campbell I think gets 1/2 years, don’t want to make a major commitment on him when we really don’t know the type of goalie he is. One last thing, I would like to see Robertson in a full time role. Maybe Robertson 2LW and move Mikheyev to 3rd line, Kase moves down to 4RW and Simmer out

Good point on the 7 year terms. As I was messing around I forgot what term I had put and it doesn't show you until you publish the AGM which is sometimes tough. You also can't edit a trade here which can be frustrating when you put a lot of work into an AGM but realize you need to adjust something. OTOH this site is FREE and a lot of fun so I don't want to complain too much.

I was hoping that Mihkeyev would be signed for $3 MIL x 3 years but was bracing for worst case scenario.

Getting Boosh to a less than $2 MIL contract for 3-4 years would bring some simple stability.

I am hoping Topi Niemelä will be getting eased in by 2024-25 when Brodie is done this current contract. Brodie WON'T be traded being owed $7.5 MIL in his final year while turning 34.

On July 1st, 2023 Muzzin will be only owed $2 MIL so I could see him moved out freeing up that $5.625 MIL cap space.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
The issue with mikheyev or kerfoot, or really just getting rid of kerfoot without replacing him is this team has no insurance for top 6 c. Look at the playoffs last year or the first 3 games this year or the 2 where Matthews was suspended: kerfoot is the other top 6 c

Unlike most teams who can move their 3c up to 2c, Kampf is a very unique/throwback 3c who is a good shutdown center but is not acceptable offensively in the top 6. That means this team NEEDS a back up top 6 c somewhere else. That's kerfoot. And frankly when called upon he's done a decent job.

I doubt we can find such a player for less than 3.5 so I think people over stress about him.

Sure if we could get Miller to replace kerfoot who is way better power to it.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Owly
You’re literally only judging Konecny by his points.. cool story. Konecny brings an element that Toronto doesn’t have. He’s also responsible defensively much better than Nylander - & what I mean by consistency is the fact that he’s going to give you the same effort on defence as he does on offence.

Tavares has the ability to make players around him better - look at what he did with Josh Bailey and Kyle Okposo. He does is with Nylander too - when Nylander’a in a slump, it’s usually Tavares that helps pull him out of it. Tavares is also at his best when he plays with guys that play with speed and move more north-south. Hats not Nylander. Nylander is an east-west guy with speed and that’s why the chemistry is more inconsistent. Konecny suits Tavares’ style better. & if he doesn’t work out, try him with Matthews and put Marner with Tavares. It still works.

But hey just cause you disagree doesn’t me you have to resort to insults. Doesn’t seem necessary.

Konency has worse defensive metrics than Nylander, he creates far less offence, isn't faster and for being a playoff warrior type he has 1 goal in 22 playoff games. I think you are going off your own opinion here that I assume was born out of what other people say in forums and very little tangible evidence.

Moving the better, more skilled, faster, better playoff performing player who is in his prime is a bad move that weakens your team. Unless you have some secret evidence that no one else has?
Apr. 3, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Konency has worse defensive metrics than Nylander, he creates far less offence, isn't faster and for being a playoff warrior type he has 1 goal in 22 playoff games. I think you are going off your own opinion here that I assume was born out of what other people say in forums and very little tangible evidence.

Moving the better, more skilled, faster, better playoff performing player who is in his prime is a bad move that weakens your team. Unless you have some secret evidence that no one else has?

Try not relying on pure analytics to create a team - it only leads you to first round exits every season.
Apr. 3, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

What about moving Nylander for JT Miller. I read The Athletic, Sportsnet, TSN, etc who say it wouldn't be good for Toronto but he seems to be what you describe Konecny as but hasn't faltered while playing on a struggling team (no offense Vancouver fans). Moving Muzzin next summer would give Toronto the cap space to re-sign Miller as well. Jt Miller is 4 years older but plays a perfect game for what the Leafs would like to add...or any team for that matter.

OTOH...I am trying to keep this non-sexy with only simple moves so... I am kind of straying from my original intent. smile

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll