Forums/Armchair-GM

Off-Season Thoughts

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2022-23 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 24, 2022
Published: Apr. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- If DeBrusk’s trade request holds you have to move him and you have to replace him. I think Garland is a comparable player and would be a great fit and word at the deadline was that the Bs were interested. The Canucks are not a great match as a trade partner but the Oilers have long coveted DeBrusk and a three-team deal seems possible.

- Even with the cap going up, the Bruins have no choice but to trim the fat. Foligno has simply not lived up to expectations and needs to move. I get he’s a respected veteran and great locker room influence and chose Boston over other offers, but it hasn’t worked and this is a business. His trade protection drops off this summer- move him or buy him out. Reilly is a good defenseman but the Bruins have their top three LD now and they can find a natural RD equivalent to Reilly for less money on the open market

- Colin Miller needs a year of health and consistency to renew his market value. Why not come back to Boston and play with Forbort, who will do the D work for him? Miller would be a nice short-term add while the Bs evaluate Zboril, Ahcan, and others to take over. Clifton is a nice depth piece but shouldn’t be starting. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think you can re-sign Josh Brown and sneak him through waivers.

- Studnicka and Steen lose their waivers protection next year and will have to be on the roster. McLaughlin could go to the AHL, but so far he has shown no reason why the team should send him down. Those three can battle for fourth line time and maybe get looks at 2C if Haula slows down.

- Ullmark and Swayman split the net again while the team evaluates the future in net. DeSmith takes over as the veteran 3 - an upgrade, but also an injury risk that could allow Keyser and Bussi their fair share of starts

- The P-Bruins will have plenty of depth. The big question is whether Lysell (and to a lesser degree Mantykivi) will be part of that group. Both would be very exciting to watch. Other promising young players will include Merkulov, Beecher, Lauko, and Callahan while the ample veteran presence includes Blidh, Froden, Hughes, Wagner, Brown, and Niku.

- With the second and two thirds, I’d love to get C Danny Zhilkin, LD Simon Forsmark, and LW Jani Nyman. Zhilkin is a big, two-way play-maker who is my favorite center that could conceivably still be around for the Bruins first pick. I would take Forsmark with that pick too; the two-way puck-mover is both skilled and physical but based on what I’ve seen it wouldn’t be a shock to see him slip to the top of the third. Nyman is a player that caught my eye when I was watching an Ilves game to check out Mantykivi. Wouldn’t be a shock if the same thing happened to the Bs - the big sniping winger is hard to miss, even playing a small role in the Liiga.

- With this roster, there aren’t a ton of holes but that cap space will grow and allow for a meaningful deadline move. I purposefully didn’t sign a top-six center because I don’t like this UFA class. But next year I would definitely be in on poaching Horvat or Miller out of Vancouver to sign long-term. Adding Garland could help convince one of those two to sign as well. The 2023 first, Lysell, and Lohrei would remain untouchables.

- While this roster isn’t that much different than this year, don’t rule out the impact of a full year of Lindholm and the carryover chemistry of the second and third lines and second pairing. Even with the same personnel (and a slight upgrade imo with Garland and Miller instead of DeBrusk and Reilly) the Bs can be much better. The depth allows for the possibility of luxury addition or two at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$787,500
2$787,500
2$875,000
2$875,000
1$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
VAN
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer
  2. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. 2022 5th round pick (MIN)
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (ARI)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,262,917$0$150,000$1,237,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$883,750$883,750
C
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:30 p.m.
Quoting: The_Rocket
In regards to the first 2 trades, why not just make it one trade of debrusk for garland one for one?

Canucks are deeper at LW than RW. I’ve previously had Nucks fans say that such a trade wouldn’t make sense for them.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: bruinsdude77
Canucks are deeper at LW than RW. I’ve previously had Nucks fans say that such a trade wouldn’t make sense for them.

I guess but also it doesn’t make much sense for them to downgrade garland to Yamamoto. I think if they trade garland it’s for a 1st round pick or a defenseman. Lots of good UFA wingers this year they can replace him with
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
Banned
Your problem is that you’re not constructive at all and you just dismiss things if they aren’t exactly what they think they should be. Take ProHockeyRumors: a reputable aggregator owned by MLB Trade Rumors which might be the most reputable baseball site in existence. You don’t know the site you your response is “ I would tend to avoid any site that has the word ‘rumor’ in it”. Pretentious much? Your typical response to a AGM is more or less “lol no you’re dumb” without any context. You have hard opinions, right or wrong, and just expect that everyone shares them and if they don’t their worthy of your belittling but not any actual thought and consideration. My guess is that it makes you feel good about yourself to just publicly state that you know more than others but by not providing any constructive comments of your own there’s no opportunity for anyone to refute it - like I just did with the Zboril news. Just calm down. This site is supposed to be fun. You’re welcome to share your opinions but no one is here for you to act like the be all, end all of AGMs

Lol cmon man. This is goofy. Yes, i pointed out that any site that has the word, “rumors,” in it is suspect. Isn’t that obvious? Their whole job is to generate clicks, so they usually just print crap. Theres no need to be accurate…because its rumors. They make stuff up all the time.

If you think my response are more or less, “no you’re dumb,” you’re either thinking of a different poster. Sure, i have my fair share of, “everyone declines,” when theres some montreal ACGM that has petry getting massive value, price moving on for top notch value, and Gallagher traded for a reasonable asset, who doesn’t. I give reasoning.

Let’s just start with this. I asked a simple question as to why the bruins have to trade debrusk. You didnt have an answer, you just answered it with another silly question. How is that, “no, you’re dumb?”

Then you snapped at some guy for being cynical when he just pointed out genuine, and frankly obvious flaws in your ACGM. Why get so defensive? The guy brought up good points and you’re going to go name calling instead of just acting like an adult? You’re on an anonymous Internet forum dude. If you can’t take criticism, make don’t hit publish.

You’re going on about how the site is supposed to be fun…so why are you snapping anytime anyone has a different opinion. Seems rather hypocritical and childish.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Not so sure. Debrusk is younger, cheaper, bigger, and has played better than garland in 2022. I think debrusk for garland is an interesting swap

You do realize that everyone in the hockey world agrees garland has had a bad year but he’s still put up more points than debrusk’s career high… an idk about you but I’d take garland for the next 4 years at 4.95m over debrusk for 2 years at 4m any day of the week
BeautifulIdiot, Knuckl3s and CD282 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
Banned

And both guys are playing right wing currently…
BeautifulIdiot liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Aasen6
You do realize that everyone in the hockey world agrees garland has had a bad year but he’s still put up more points than debrusk’s career high… an idk about you but I’d take garland for the next 4 years at 4.95m over debrusk for 2 years at 4m any day of the week

Some might. Some might not. Debrusk, has shown a higher ceiling, but with far less consistency. He’s shown better goal scoring ability. Again, he’s cheaper, and brings a different element. There are merits to both players. I don’t think either one is a clear downgrade over the other in terms of on ice value, or contract stuff. Term isn’t always a good thing.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Lol cmon man. This is goofy. Yes, i pointed out that any site that has the word, “rumors,” in it is suspect. Isn’t that obvious? Their whole job is to generate clicks, so they usually just print crap. Theres no need to be accurate…because its rumors. They make stuff up all the time.

If you think my response are more or less, “no you’re dumb,” you’re either thinking of a different poster. Sure, i have my fair share of, “everyone declines,” when theres some montreal ACGM that has petry getting massive value, price moving on for top notch value, and Gallagher traded for a reasonable asset, who doesn’t. I give reasoning.

Let’s just start with this. I asked a simple question as to why the bruins have to trade debrusk. You didnt have an answer, you just answered it with another silly question. How is that, “no, you’re dumb?”

Then you snapped at some guy for being cynical when he just pointed out genuine, and frankly obvious flaws in your ACGM. Why get so defensive? The guy brought up good points and you’re going to go name calling instead of just acting like an adult? You’re on an anonymous Internet forum dude. If you can’t take criticism, make don’t hit publish.

You’re going on about how the site is supposed to be fun…so why are you snapping anytime anyone has a different opinion. Seems rather hypocritical and childish.

The only person I take issue with is you because I’ve seen you do this to me and other countless times. I have the right person. It’s old. I’m happy to take criticism if it’s constructive and with you it’s not. Neither is when anyone says “everyone declines” and doesn’t back it up. Just stay off my posts if you don’t want me to point out the flaws in your approach. I certainly don’t enjoy your input and you don’t seem to appreciate my thoughts anyhow.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
Banned
The only person I take issue with is you because I’ve seen you do this to me and other countless times. I have the right person. It’s old. I’m happy to take criticism if it’s constructive and with you it’s not. Neither is when anyone says “everyone declines” and doesn’t back it up. Just stay off my posts if you don’t want me to point out the flaws in your approach. I certainly don’t enjoy your input and you don’t seem to appreciate my thoughts anyhow.

Super easy solution here: put me on ignore.

If you can’t take someone questioning your public posts, or disagreeing with you, put everyone on ignore and just live in your own comfy world (because no, I’m not going to, “just stay off your posts.” Sheesh). But quit whining. You have the power to never see another post of mine. Do it already, but quit the defensive whiny act.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:52 p.m.
How has he shown a higher ceiling when garland has put up better numbers playing with no one in Arizona? Also he’s slightly cheaper for the next 2 years but then what? In this case term is a great thing where else besides players on ELC’s are you gonna find 50 point guys signed for 4 more years of there prime under 5m. Oh ya you’re not.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:52 p.m.
This team kills me
debrusk and a 2nd for garland

but we still hate the bruins so no trade of the such will be done
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.

Nobody really thinks that though. This is second best PPG ratio season of his career. The real issue is everyone went gaga over him and over rated him severely. So now a good year for him is considered a down year by people with unrealistic expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
This team kills me
Some might. Some might not. Debrusk, has shown a higher ceiling, but with far less consistency. He’s shown better goal scoring ability. Again, he’s cheaper, and brings a different element. There are merits to both players. I don’t think either one is a clear downgrade over the other in terms of on ice value, or contract stuff. Term isn’t always a good thing.

I would disagree, Debrusk cant drive play like garland can, sure hes got a better shot and is bigger but he doesnt have as big of an impact on the game as garland does
theleano1 and CD282 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
I would disagree, Debrusk cant drive play like garland can, sure hes got a better shot and is bigger but he doesnt have as big of an impact on the game as garland does

Are we going to pretend here that garland is this awesome “play driver.” He’s a good middle six player.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Nobody really thinks that though. This is second best PPG ratio season of his career. The real issue is everyone went gaga over him and over rated him severely. So now a good year for him is considered a down year by people with unrealistic expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If that’s your opinion then the same goes for debrusk though right? Because garland is outproducing debrusk
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
How has he shown a higher ceiling when garland has put up better numbers playing with no one in Arizona? Also he’s slightly cheaper for the next 2 years but then what? In this case term is a great thing where else besides players on ELC’s are you gonna find 50 point guys signed for 4 more years of there prime under 5m. Oh ya you’re not.

Again no. They have averaged the same amount of goals per 82 for their career. Even with Debrusks terrible season. Without that covid season in his resume they average the same points per 82 per career too. So i’m not sure how you think he has put up better numbers.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
Are we going to pretend here that garland is this awesome “play driver.” He’s a good middle six player.

Garland is on the cusp of a 50 point season last I checked that would make him a top 6 winger on any team in the league but sure call him a middle 6 player
theleano1 and BeautifulIdiot liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:01 p.m.
If that’s your opinion then the same goes for debrusk though right? Because garland is outproducing debrusk

Nobody has ever over rated Debrusk, quite the opposite actually.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Again no. They have averaged the same amount of goals per 82 for their career. Even with Debrusks terrible season. Without that covid season in his resume they average the same points per 82 per career too. So i’m not sure how you think he has put up better numbers.

So you’re telling me if garland was a bruin and debrusk was a Canuck and Vancouver called and offered debrusk for garland you’d take it?
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
So you’re telling me if garland was a bruin and debrusk was a Canuck and Vancouver called and offered debrusk for garland you’d take it?

No, we need a RW more than a LW. But i’d consider it fair offer. Same age, same production, neither plays center, kill penalties , or hit anyone.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
Banned
Garland is on the cusp of a 50 point season last I checked that would make him a top 6 winger on any team in the league but sure call him a middle 6 player

Well, that’s what he is. Top six implies first or second line. He’s not a first line player. Middle six implies either a second or a third line winger. He’s a third liner in tampa. With rantanen healthy, he’s a third liner for Colorado. These days he’s a third liner for boston. Calgary. Florida. Pittsburgh. St. Louis. Toronto (when Nylander is on the right side). Plenty of teams.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Banned

Is he though? It’s very well documented that Debrusk got off to a horrid start. He was basically really bad throughout the bad parts of covid. All of last season and the first part of this season. Then things turned around for him in 2022 and he started looking like his old self. If you look at the last 30+ games, the last 12 weeks or so (since Debrusk seemed to snap out of his funk), Debrusk has produced more points, and double the goals+ of Garland.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Well, that’s what he is. Top six implies first or second line. He’s not a first line player. Middle six implies either a second or a third line winger. He’s a third liner in tampa. With rantanen healthy, he’s a third liner for Colorado. These days he’s a third liner for boston. Calgary. Florida. Pittsburgh. St. Louis. Toronto (when Nylander is on the right side). Plenty of teams.

That comment tells me you don’t watch hockey at all and that’s all I needed to know
theleano1, BeautifulIdiot, Knuckl3s and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:13 p.m.
Banned
That comment tells me you don’t watch hockey at all and that’s all I needed to know

Why don’t you explain that instead of just being snarky?

FYI i watch a borderline unhealthy amount of hockey.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.
Why don’t you explain that instead of just being snarky?

FYI i watch a borderline unhealthy amount of hockey.

The only team you could say he wouldn’t play top 6 for is Colorado every other team there’s a legit argument that he could and hes a clear upgrade to all of boston Pittsburgh and Toronto and he’s putting up the same numbers as Sam Bennett without playing with Huberdeau so don’t say he’s not top 6 in Florida
Knuckl3s liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:25 p.m.
Banned
The only team you could say he wouldn’t play top 6 for is Colorado every other team there’s a legit argument that he could and hes a clear upgrade to all of boston Pittsburgh and Toronto and he’s putting up the same numbers as Sam Bennett without playing with Huberdeau so don’t say he’s not top 6 in Florida

I think Bennet is the better player. There’s not a shot he ousts any of the top six guys in tampa, and I’ll even give him the benefit of the doubt of playing either wing there. Same in boston. Debrusk is just playing better than he is right now. Pastrnak, hall, and marchand are all better.

Soooo he’s a middle six winger because that’s just what he is. It’s not an insult. Middle six wingers are good.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll