Forums/Armchair-GM

Off-Season Thoughts

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2022-23 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 24, 2022
Published: Apr. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- If DeBrusk’s trade request holds you have to move him and you have to replace him. I think Garland is a comparable player and would be a great fit and word at the deadline was that the Bs were interested. The Canucks are not a great match as a trade partner but the Oilers have long coveted DeBrusk and a three-team deal seems possible.

- Even with the cap going up, the Bruins have no choice but to trim the fat. Foligno has simply not lived up to expectations and needs to move. I get he’s a respected veteran and great locker room influence and chose Boston over other offers, but it hasn’t worked and this is a business. His trade protection drops off this summer- move him or buy him out. Reilly is a good defenseman but the Bruins have their top three LD now and they can find a natural RD equivalent to Reilly for less money on the open market

- Colin Miller needs a year of health and consistency to renew his market value. Why not come back to Boston and play with Forbort, who will do the D work for him? Miller would be a nice short-term add while the Bs evaluate Zboril, Ahcan, and others to take over. Clifton is a nice depth piece but shouldn’t be starting. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think you can re-sign Josh Brown and sneak him through waivers.

- Studnicka and Steen lose their waivers protection next year and will have to be on the roster. McLaughlin could go to the AHL, but so far he has shown no reason why the team should send him down. Those three can battle for fourth line time and maybe get looks at 2C if Haula slows down.

- Ullmark and Swayman split the net again while the team evaluates the future in net. DeSmith takes over as the veteran 3 - an upgrade, but also an injury risk that could allow Keyser and Bussi their fair share of starts

- The P-Bruins will have plenty of depth. The big question is whether Lysell (and to a lesser degree Mantykivi) will be part of that group. Both would be very exciting to watch. Other promising young players will include Merkulov, Beecher, Lauko, and Callahan while the ample veteran presence includes Blidh, Froden, Hughes, Wagner, Brown, and Niku.

- With the second and two thirds, I’d love to get C Danny Zhilkin, LD Simon Forsmark, and LW Jani Nyman. Zhilkin is a big, two-way play-maker who is my favorite center that could conceivably still be around for the Bruins first pick. I would take Forsmark with that pick too; the two-way puck-mover is both skilled and physical but based on what I’ve seen it wouldn’t be a shock to see him slip to the top of the third. Nyman is a player that caught my eye when I was watching an Ilves game to check out Mantykivi. Wouldn’t be a shock if the same thing happened to the Bs - the big sniping winger is hard to miss, even playing a small role in the Liiga.

- With this roster, there aren’t a ton of holes but that cap space will grow and allow for a meaningful deadline move. I purposefully didn’t sign a top-six center because I don’t like this UFA class. But next year I would definitely be in on poaching Horvat or Miller out of Vancouver to sign long-term. Adding Garland could help convince one of those two to sign as well. The 2023 first, Lysell, and Lohrei would remain untouchables.

- While this roster isn’t that much different than this year, don’t rule out the impact of a full year of Lindholm and the carryover chemistry of the second and third lines and second pairing. Even with the same personnel (and a slight upgrade imo with Garland and Miller instead of DeBrusk and Reilly) the Bs can be much better. The depth allows for the possibility of luxury addition or two at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$787,500
2$787,500
2$875,000
2$875,000
1$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
VAN
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer
  2. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. 2022 5th round pick (MIN)
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (ARI)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,262,917$0$150,000$1,237,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$883,750$883,750
C
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
I think Bennet is the better player. There’s not a shot he ousts any of the top six guys in tampa, and I’ll even give him the benefit of the doubt of playing either wing there. Same in boston. Debrusk is just playing better than he is right now. Pastrnak, hall, and marchand are all better.

Soooo he’s a middle six winger because that’s just what he is. It’s not an insult. Middle six wingers are good.[/quote

We could go back and forth all night but we’re clearly not gonna agree on this so have a good night smile
Apr. 25, 2022 at 1:54 a.m.
This team kills me
Are we going to pretend here that garland is this awesome “play driver.” He’s a good middle six player.

When did you last watch a canucks game?
Apr. 25, 2022 at 2:24 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: The_Rocket
In regards to the first 2 trades, why not just make it one trade of debrusk for garland one for one?

No
Apr. 25, 2022 at 2:26 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeautifulIdiot

Probably not since the Bruins played them back in December. All CMac does here is downplay the values of non-bruins players and grasps at straws to try and claim Bruins players are more valuable than they really are
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 2:28 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: bruinsdude77
Your problem is that you’re not constructive at all and you just dismiss things if they aren’t exactly what they think they should be. Take ProHockeyRumors: a reputable aggregator owned by MLB Trade Rumors which might be the most reputable baseball site in existence. You don’t know the site you your response is “ I would tend to avoid any site that has the word ‘rumor’ in it”. Pretentious much? Your typical response to a AGM is more or less “lol no you’re dumb” without any context. You have hard opinions, right or wrong, and just expect that everyone shares them and if they don’t their worthy of your belittling but not any actual thought and consideration. My guess is that it makes you feel good about yourself to just publicly state that you know more than others but by not providing any constructive comments of your own there’s no opportunity for anyone to refute it - like I just did with the Zboril news. Just calm down. This site is supposed to be fun. You’re welcome to share your opinions but no one is here for you to act like the be all, end all of AGMs

Dude, I've tried to tell him the same thing but he won't listen
Apr. 25, 2022 at 2:35 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: bruinsdude77
Canucks are deeper at LW than RW. I’ve previously had Nucks fans say that such a trade wouldn’t make sense for them.

Yamamoto and a 4th is a pathetic return for Garland. Garland was traded for the first time in his pro career last season, and it hasn't been easy on him transitioning to a new market, we really should cut him some slack

Quoting: Gofnut999
Nobody really thinks that though. This is second best PPG ratio season of his career. The real issue is everyone went gaga over him and over rated him severely. So now a good year for him is considered a down year by people with unrealistic expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Garland himself says he's not happy with the season he's had, HE at least believes he has better in him. I wouldn't call it a down season for him this year, but I'd still say he's been good overall, I'm just optimistic that he's got more to give going into next year and beyond
Apr. 25, 2022 at 4:21 a.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: Aasen6
You do realize that everyone in the hockey world agrees garland has had a bad year but he’s still put up more points than debrusk’s career high… an idk about you but I’d take garland for the next 4 years at 4.95m over debrusk for 2 years at 4m any day of the week

Some might. Some might not. Debrusk, has shown a higher ceiling, but with far less consistency. He’s shown better goal scoring ability. Again, he’s cheaper, and brings a different element. There are merits to both players. I don’t think either one is a clear downgrade over the other in terms of on ice value, or contract stuff. Term isn’t always a good thing.

Quoting: Gofnut999
Nobody really thinks that though. This is second best PPG ratio season of his career. The real issue is everyone went gaga over him and over rated him severely. So now a good year for him is considered a down year by people with unrealistic expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Garlands 45 even straight points would be 3rd on the bruins, only behind Marchand (48) and pastrnak (49)

Debrusk has 36.

Imo given their contracts, previous years productions, and current year production, I’d take Garland
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 4:35 a.m.
The Oilers dont "covet" Debrusk. If they are going to acquire any wingers in the offseason it will more than likely be a right shot guy with size who actually throws some hits. Debrusk is none of those things. Nothing against Debrusk, hes a solid player, but he doesnt fit what the Oilers need, just because he was born in Edmonton doesnt mean the Oilers should trade for him.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 7:38 a.m.
Banned

Ummm i watched most of the 2nd, and the 3rd of the flames - canucks game. Had they flames and the over in that one. Was a good night. Then I watched the first 10-15 minutes of the coyotes game before i realized that there were better things to do. I watched most of the knights game.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 7:40 a.m.
Banned
Garlands 45 even straight points would be 3rd on the bruins, only behind Marchand (48) and pastrnak (49)

Debrusk has 36.

Imo given their contracts, previous years productions, and current year production, I’d take Garland

Do you remember when i explained how debrusk has been a completely different player in 2022? If all you want to do is look at something as simple as full season point totals and make a judgment on the players, you can do that…but i don’t care.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.

Debrusk has 36.

And Debrusk has more goals and has always been the better goal scorer which is all i’m really looking for from that spot.

As i said originally, the trade gets declined. Logistically it makes zero sense for Van to do it unless they can sign Yammer for 2.5ish and save some cap.

From a pure value standpoint, Debrusk, Garland, Yammer are not that far apart. If i’m Van of the 3 i’d prefer Garland. If i’m Boston…I don’t really want any of them for various reasons. But Debrusk is the best goal scorer of the 3 and we know he works well with Marchy and Bergy already. If he’s willing to stay, i’d prefer him.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Probably not since the Bruins played them back in December. All CMac does here is downplay the values of non-bruins players and grasps at straws to try and claim Bruins players are more valuable than they really are

Literally never do that. I present my evidence, or opinions, and if people don’t agree, oh well. You just get butthurt anytime anyone disagrees with you and turn all defensive.

Next time, at least have the balls to tag me when you’re gonna talk trash. Being a coward on an anonymous forum is next-level cowardice.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 8:51 p.m.
Banned
Literally never do that. I present my evidence, or opinions, and if people don’t agree, oh well. You just get butthurt anytime anyone disagrees with you and turn all defensive.

Next time, at least have the balls to tag me when you’re gonna talk trash. Being a coward on an anonymous forum is next-level cowardice.

Every non-Bruins fan here in this thread disagrees with you and they've called you out on such, bite me
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
Banned
Every non-Bruins fan here in this thread disagrees with you and they've called you out on such, bite me

No they don’t.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
Banned
No they don’t.

That's just a blatant lie
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The worst reason to trade a player is because he asked for a trade. Soon you have eight players on the Bruins not happy their ice time or role wanting to be traded. Also you have half your minor league team wanting to traded to another organization because they haven't been opportunity with the Bruins
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
Banned
That's just a blatant lie

It might seem that way when you don’t actually read peoples posts, just skim over them, and assume their meanings (and then, of course, get super defensive and whine).
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:49 p.m.
Banned
It might seem that way when you don’t actually read peoples posts, just skim over them, and assume their meanings (and then, of course, get super defensive and whine).

Haha, but I haven't skimmed over any of the posts, I've taken the time to read them all, not that you're ever going to believe me. I don't hear anybody else on this thread complaining about my attitude. You really aren't helping your case, you're just the same old grump that everybody has come to expect from you. Also, YOU hardly ever post your OWN threads here, so you don't even give people the opportunity to evaluate your valuation assessments first hand, you just show up on other peoples threads and compare your assessments to others, which is not a good look when you continually try to insist your opinions are the be all end all facts and only line up those opinions against other peoples just to say they are wrong and put those people down for the sake of being a bully
Apr. 25, 2022 at 11:36 p.m.
This team kills me
Ummm i watched most of the 2nd, and the 3rd of the flames - canucks game. Had they flames and the over in that one. Was a good night. Then I watched the first 10-15 minutes of the coyotes game before i realized that there were better things to do. I watched most of the knights game.

I am sorry, how do you watch the games and tell me with a straight face that debrusk has a higher ceiling? hes a failure to launch, hes not much better than Jake virtanen and we ended up having to buy him out (debrusk is better, not much). Garland is a little bit more expensive but locked up for longer, he creates plays himself and has a decent shot (not as good as debrusk but has WAYYYY better hands) and is one of the most effective players at breaking the puck out and getting it out of the canucks zone. Debrusk is at best a middle 6 player, but thats garland at worst, at best he is a top line winger and once he is more climatized to VAN hes gonna produce, and its been evident over the last few games
Apr. 25, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Banned
I am sorry, how do you watch the games and tell me with a straight face that debrusk has a higher ceiling? hes a failure to launch, hes not much better than Jake virtanen and we ended up having to buy him out (debrusk is better, not much). Garland is a little bit more expensive but locked up for longer, he creates plays himself and has a decent shot (not as good as debrusk but has WAYYYY better hands) and is one of the most effective players at breaking the puck out and getting it out of the canucks zone. Debrusk is at best a middle 6 player, but thats garland at worst, at best he is a top line winger and once he is more climatized to VAN hes gonna produce, and its been evident over the last few games

Agree with you that Garland is showing signs that he can be even better, but saying that Debrusk is almost as bad as Jake Virtanen is just flat out wrong
Apr. 25, 2022 at 11:52 p.m.
Banned

This strikes me as a take from November of 2021.
Apr. 28, 2022 at 12:52 a.m.
This team kills me
Agree with you that Garland is showing signs that he can be even better, but saying that Debrusk is almost as bad as Jake Virtanen is just flat out wrong

They were being compared to each other, Virtanen had 1 more point and more goals in 19-20 in 4 more games than debrusk. was he ever as good? not at all. who is he closer to? virtanen in my eyes
Apr. 28, 2022 at 12:53 a.m.
Banned
They were being compared to each other, Virtanen had 1 more point and more goals in 19-20 in 4 more games than debrusk. was he ever as good? not at all. who is he closer to? virtanen in my eyes

I suppose, but Bruins fans aren't going to like you making any comparison between the two
BeautifulIdiot liked this.
Apr. 28, 2022 at 12:53 a.m.
This team kills me
This strikes me as a take from November of 2021.

from last time jake virtanen was in the NHL? yeah kinda. is it a little dramatic? yes, is it crazily out of nowhere? I dont think so.
Apr. 28, 2022 at 1:03 a.m.
Banned
from last time jake virtanen was in the NHL? yeah kinda. is it a little dramatic? yes, is it crazily out of nowhere? I dont think so.

On 2022 (the numbers are even better from Feb 1 on when Debrusk really regained form) Debrusk has 19 goals and 32 points in 50 games. It’s not just the points, he’s playing fantastic all around and has really gelled with the top line. He’s been put in the proper spot, and has responded with a 31 goal 52 point pace. He’s currently the bruins third leading goal scorer on the season, and the bruins are good.

This is why I get the impression that you’re kind of thinking back to narratives from November or december when debrusk was in the dog house and his value was low.

Virtanen is a fringe NHL caliber player. The conversation is completely different now.

Ya, it’s crazily out of nowhere. It’s about the same as comparing virtanen to garland.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll