SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Entry Draft Discussion thread

May 7, 2017 at 4:02 p.m.
Whats wrong with using the central scouting list as the default selector in our draft? Whoever wants to select players themselves does, whoever doesn't will have highest rated player available taken automatically.
May 7, 2017 at 4:17 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: F50marco
Whats wrong with using the central scouting list as the default selector in our draft? Whoever wants to select players themselves does, whoever doesn't will have highest rated player available taken automatically.

Because it's segmented into NA skaters - NA goalies - European skaters - European goalies

It's like splitting a deck of cards into separate suits. We have no way of telling when we should give a team a diamond or a spade.
May 7, 2017 at 4:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I'm fine however we do it, as long as every GM gets a player with their pick and has a chance to make the pick themselves, even if someone might need to pick it for them.
May 7, 2017 at 5:45 p.m.
Here is my proposal:

The Entry Draft wil take place on 6/6/17, for example until 6/20/17
Each team shall submit their draft plan; [how many rounds they plan on doing]
If a team declines to participate after the 5th round, for example, they will be put on "autopick" ; the next best player available according to the chosen scouting list regardless of position needs.

We shall implement a Roster Freeze so that we can make the Draft go swiftly and smoothly. No trades or negations shall take place during this time.
Each slot will be given an time slot of no more than 30 minutes per pick.
*IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SELECT DURING YOUR DESIGNATED TIME, PLEASE TELL THE BOGS SO THEY MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE YOUR PICK FOR THEM*
May 7, 2017 at 7:19 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Here is my proposal:

If a team declines to participate after the 5th round, for example, they will be put on "autopick" ; the next best player available according to the chosen scouting list regardless of position needs.

We shall implement a Roster Freeze so that we can make the Draft go swiftly and smoothly. No trades or negations shall take place during this time.
*IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SELECT DURING YOUR DESIGNATED TIME, PLEASE TELL THE BOGS SO THEY MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE YOUR PICK FOR THEM*

I like this, except for the roster freeze. Trades during the draft are essential, for example, only wanting to trade up if a particular player is still available. However, if a team trades their pick while they are on the clock, the allotted time doesn't restart for the new team.
May 7, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Here is my proposal:

This looks good to me except for 3 things:
1. The roster freeze, as trades always happen at the draft.
2. The date. I think we should do it earlier than that, as the GM Game will probably be ending around June 20th.
3. The amount of time for each team. Because if someone wants a certain position, they would have to pick the player themselves, and they might not be on in that half hour

Just my opinion though.
May 7, 2017 at 7:33 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Here is my proposal:

2. The date. I think we should do it earlier than that, as the GM Game will probably be ending around June 20th.
3. The amount of time for each team. Because if someone wants a certain position, they would have to pick the player themselves, and they might not be on in that half hour

Just my opinion though.

What do you mean the GM game is ending? So all the 2018 picks and long term deals we will sign are pointless? And how about teams who have started rebuilds?
May 7, 2017 at 7:37 p.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: backflip

Just my opinion though.

What do you mean the GM game is ending? So all the 2018 picks and long term deals we will sign are pointless? And how about teams who have started rebuilds?

This is just Rangers talking.
backflip, ricochetii, SmallTownHero14 and 1 other person liked this.
May 7, 2017 at 7:56 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii

Because it's segmented into NA skaters - NA goalies - European skaters - European goalies

It's like splitting a deck of cards into separate suits. We have no way of telling when we should give a team a diamond or a spade.

There are other sources that have players listed from all countries.

Also if anything it'll take one person (Me if we want) to do a quick analysis to run out every player in the central scouting and place them in order all together.

There's no need to go overly crazy with 4-5-6-7 round players...... 90% of those players will not be NHL calibre players fro longer than a few games in anything at all. (Splitting hairs over later rounds is needless) Any way it juts in the event one GM doesn't make a pick. No need to overly make effort for that GM if they aren't going to make that effort..... Whatever player is available on either side of NA/EURO when the pick comes we simply flip a coin and choose.

I mean is someone going to really object if we automatically choose Walter Flower for them instead of Kirill Urakov in the 6th round????? If so then they should of made the selection themselves!!!!

As for 1-2 rounds, It shouldn't be too hard either as the general consensus on players will be pretty locked in. Whether a player chosen from NA or EURO, they are getting a good pick.
May 7, 2017 at 8:13 p.m.
Go Jackets
Here is my proposal:

Things I like:
- Draft plan
- autopick system

Things I don't like:
- Roster Freeze
- Timing (I think May 27th is a good start date, draft can last either one week or two, either is fine)

I think if we can merge this with the idea I had (I'll repost that here) we'll be on to something.

I'll start a poll so we can figure out if we're doing one week or two weeks of draft. This is a matter I feel is better suited for General vote than just the Board.
May 7, 2017 at 8:20 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Hey, here's an idea:

Is anyone really opposed to
A) waiting until the conclusion of the playoffs to do the draft (so we have the full order)
B) doing free agency before the draft, so that we could wait until the end of the playoffs and still not be dragging free agency into late July.
May 7, 2017 at 8:24 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: matt59
Here is my proposal:

Things I like:
- Draft plan
- autopick system

Things I don't like:
- Roster Freeze
- Timing (I think May 27th is a good start date, draft can last either one week or two, either is fine)

I think if we can merge this with the idea I had (I'll repost that here) we'll be on to something.

I'll start a poll so we can figure out if we're doing one week or two weeks of draft. This is a matter I feel is better suited for General vote than just the Board.

Can't limit it to 1 or 2 weeks until we have a procedure in place. Procedure should dictate the timing.
May 7, 2017 at 8:25 p.m.
Go Jackets
Here's my idea I was referring to:
Quoting: matt59
Updated Draft Idea:

The draft lasts either a week or two weeks. We go a full 7 rounds. Two rounds was a solid idea, but there's a lot of GMs who don't have any first and second round picks (like me) this year. Thus a full seven rounds allows everyone to get in on the fun.

We create a schedule, starting on some day where from 8AM to 11PM on the first day of the draft, either picks 1-31 are done or 1-15 and 15-31 over two days depending on whether we do a 1 or 2 week setup. Each team has half an hour or an hour to select a player. Now given that some GMs won't be able to be on at the given times, it has been suggested that only a league wide Best player available list would be published. This would prevent the need for a trade freeze, and avoid the complication of every GM needing to submit a BPA list. The league wide BPA list will only be used if you are unable to make your pick at the designated time.

I still would like to find a way so all GMs could make the picks they want to even if they are unable to be at their slot at a given time. Hopefully we can find a system that works well for all parties involved. The draft is one of the most fun parts of the year so I'd like everyone to be able to experience it!
May 7, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: backflip
Hey, here's an idea:

Is anyone really opposed to
A) waiting until the conclusion of the playoffs to do the draft (so we have the full order)
B) doing free agency before the draft, so that we could wait until the end of the playoffs and still not be dragging free agency into late July.

I'd be fine with this ya. Only thing is we'd have to make sure the draft gets done quickly, that way our draft doesn't run into the IRL one. But like rico said, let's get the procedure done first before dictating time windows.
May 8, 2017 at 3:37 p.m.
Go Habs Go
We may not have an option but to use https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but if you don't agree, simply make your own picks and the problem is solved.
If you aren't making your own picks, at least you're having the pick made by someone who has put some effort into his selections.

There likely won't be an alternative until after the draft, which ruins the fun of doing it ourselves.
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
May 8, 2017 at 3:41 p.m.
We may not have an option but to use https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but if you don't agree, simply make your own picks and the problem is solved.
If you aren't making your own picks, at least you're having the pick made by someone who has put some effort into his selections.

There likely won't be an alternative until after the draft, which ruins the fun of doing it ourselves.

Yup I was going to bring up this site too. I mean the pick is made for you automatically because you aren't selecting it yourself. If you don't want that, make the pick yourself. That person can't have it both ways. It seems pretty simple to me.
May 8, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.
Seems to be the best option to use draft site. I'm good with it.
May 8, 2017 at 5:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Guys, when i say the GM Game ending, i'm saying it will get all confusing because we'll be getting mixed up with real life. We could always do it next year though, or even a new one after free agency. Or we could keep going with this one, but it would get all confusing.
May 8, 2017 at 7:23 p.m.
Guys, when i say the GM Game ending, i'm saying it will get all confusing because we'll be getting mixed up with real life. We could always do it next year though, or even a new one after free agency. Or we could keep going with this one, but it would get all confusing.

Let me rephrase that: "but it would start to get confusing for me".
May 8, 2017 at 7:26 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Set up a spreadsheet for tracking picks if we don't end up with a better option.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yo8xQyv9ueo-D1BRo2y3J0t2hwKU5UqKaSlw2HNT7i0/edit?usp=sharing

Should we have a simple yes/no vote on whether to use this as the ranking list?
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
May 8, 2017 at 8:04 p.m.
Set up a spreadsheet for tracking picks if we don't end up with a better option.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yo8xQyv9ueo-D1BRo2y3J0t2hwKU5UqKaSlw2HNT7i0/edit?usp=sharing

I'm good with this as the list. Honestly it's debatable where players should be ranked no matter what but as long as there isnt a potential top 10 ranked at 40 it's good.
May 8, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Sure, we could use this, but i think we should let some people make their own BPA lists if they know they won't be on at the time of the draft, and if they say they are, but aren't, then we use this ... just an idea though. we don't have to do it like this.
May 9, 2017 at 1:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
So is the draft date still not decided?
May 9, 2017 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: DirtyRebound

I'm good with this as the list. Honestly it's debatable where players should be ranked no matter what but as long as there isnt a potential top 10 ranked at 40 it's good.

Yup same here but even then players fall in the draft all the time.....plus if you can't make the draft to pick your player, tough. Them's the breaks. The list should have the best player available for you but we can't guarantee anything. Its all subjective anyway.

Like I've mentioned already. GM's can't have it both ways. You can't, not be online to make the pick AND expect the best player you wanted to be selected for you automatically.... Either be online to make the pick you want or the best player available according to the list will,be selected for you. Whether anyone agrees with it or not.
May 9, 2017 at 11:06 a.m.
Go Habs Go
So is the draft date still not decided?

We're getting there. Patience grasshopper.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll