Forums/Armchair-GM

Tkachuk to the Island

Created by: ms39
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 14, 2022
Published: Jul. 14, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
An attempt at a big swing. Emptying the draft cupboard. (Consider the Lee for Lucic swap part of the initial deal.)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,000,000
3$750,000
4$810,000
1$1,400,000
7$12,100,000
3$3,450,000
Trades
NYI
  1. Tkachuk, Matthew [RFA Rights]
CGY
  1. Beauvillier, Anthony
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
  4. 2023 6th round pick (NYI)
  5. 2024 1st round pick (NYI)
  6. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
  7. 2024 4th round pick (NYI)
  8. 2024 7th round pick (NYI)
  9. 2025 2nd round pick (NYI)
  10. 2025 3rd round pick (NYI)
  11. 2025 7th round pick (NYI)
SJS
  1. Varlamov, Semyon
  2. Wilde, Bode
  3. 2025 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Palmieri, Kyle
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2023 7th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (BOS)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (COL)
ANA
  1. Pánik, Richard
  2. Wahlstrom, Oliver
  3. 2023 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (NSH)
  2. 2025 7th round pick (NSH)
NSH
  1. Mayfield, Scott
  2. 2023 5th round pick (NYI)
  3. 2025 6th round pick (NYI)
NYI
    Future considerations
    NYI
      Future considerations
      OTT
      1. Martin, Matt
      2. 2024 6th round pick (NYI)
      3. 2025 7th round pick (NSH)
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the NSH
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$82,500,000$81,922,463$245,796$882,500$577,537
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $12,100,000$12,100,000
      RW
      UFA - 8
      Logo of the New York Islanders
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW, C
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Calgary Flames
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $800,000$800,000
      LW, RW, C
      UFA - 2
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LW
      UFA - 4
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      C
      UFA - 5
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 7
      $6,150,000$6,150,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 8
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $3,450,000$3,450,000
      LD
      RFA - 3
      $9,000,000$9,000,000
      RD
      RFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      $764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
      G
      RFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $825,000$825,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $762,500$762,500
      LW, C
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      C
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 10:44 p.m.
      1GarthSnowFan
      Calgary says no
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
      it's giving that one time garth snow wanted to trade every 2012 draft pick we had to move up to 2 from 4
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 10:47 p.m.
      HabsFanSinceThe60s
      And some isles fans thought I was crazy for asking for 2 firsts Bolduc and Raty
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 10:56 p.m.
      Windupotato
      WTF! Beauvillier you third best player with 2 first and 2 second round
      No way
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 10:57 p.m.
      Islanders Fan
      There's so much wrong with this not sure where to start
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
      account created today, obvious troll attempt.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
      I actually tried really hard on this and I was excited to share it.

I know it’s not realistic with so many moving parts, but I wanted to see how it might be possible to land a top player while making cap space for him and the RFAs (and keeping in mind a Barzal extension).

My thinking was that an offer sheet is already four 1sts but that would get matched, so try to give Calgary something that’s hopefully as, if not more, enticing. Two top 6 wingers, two 1sts, two 2nds, and a smattering of smaller picks, along with taking back Lucic so that they’re not just taking on a ton of salary. And Tkachuk deserves that deal, if not more.

I’m curious where folks think I’m under- or overvaluing players. My thinking is for something like the Wahlly to Anaheim trade, we’ve got to pay the cost of dumping Panik’s salary so it’s two seconds instead of something a little richer (plus Anaheim wouldn’t want to part with their own good draft picks). I figure that counts as an undervalue for Wahlly but if two 2nds for him and a Panik dump (while also needing to throw in a 4th to sweeten the deal) is actually an overvalue, then I’ve simply misjudged.

I’m happy to learn from the experience.

Thank you.
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.
      we miss leo k
      I'll do my best to be constructive but instead of hitting the trades first I want to talk contracts:

-One thing Gaudreau and Filip Forsberg before him did this summer was set the market for extensions. Forsberg signed 8x$8.5M, Gaudrea signed 7x$9.8M. Even being younger, I can't see Tkachuk pushing *this* much past what those two guys got. I'd put the ceiling of his extension at $10M. Bellows signs below $1M, a long term Dobson extension probably clocks in at $7M max, and Romanov probably bridges at $3M. That's about $5.5M less in cap if you bring the contracts to a more realistic number.

As far as the trade:
      -Not going to comment on the overkill because you said it yourself: you're emptying the entire draft cupboard. I don't think it will take that much, but for the sake of the bit I'll let it slide. It is fair to say that Beau probably heads to Calgary in any version of this deal.

-I don't know if Varlamov waives for San Jose, and I don't think the Sharks have the cap to make this deal straight up. Even if they do, I don't think the Isles add this much - they're more or less the same age, almost identical stats last year, and while Varly has the higher cap hit he also has the recent playoff success so I think he makes up a little of that negative value there.

-Palmieri would probably waive to go back to the Devils, and I think the value is actually fair here. Isles add a little extra value to the package to get a better pick back.

-This goes off the rails. Wahlstrom is a high potential forward and one of the few young NHL-ready players in the organization. Pairing him with Panik and a 4th to get back a pair of 2nds is undervaluing what he's worth to the team.

-Mayfield should have higher value than this - he's an expiring 4th/5th D on a very cheap deal. If I'm moving him I'm looking for a strong package - a 2nd rounder pick and B-tier prospect coming back at least. There's no one in the org ready to step up and take over RD3, so if you're going to create a new hole it has to be for a strong return.

-Minnesota probably doesn't need a goalie after signing MAF and acquiring Filip Gustavsson, and this is where that extra money you saved up to comes into play. Instead of offloading Reimer because of cap constraints, he sticks around as Sorokin's backup and then you don't have to rush Jakub Skarek into the NHL.

-If you want Martin off the roster I think you can more easily bury him in Bridgeport - it's a minimal cap penalty for burying him (~$350K) and I think Lou keeps him around out of loyalty. A 6th and a 7th isn't a ton to pay, sure, but if you can keep those lottery tickets on hand, why not?

-Lee put up 28 goals last year on the island; Lucic has scored 28 total goals in 206 GP since coming to Calgary in 2019. Lee bounced back nicely from his torn ACL last season and plays a game that should hopefully age well - he's not a speed guy, he's a more physical player but he's not a guy that throws the body all the time (the way Lucic played earlier in his career.) I still think you're not gonna love the last couple years on his deal, but he's still a useful player on this team. And you cannot discount the fact that he was the first guy named captain after Tavares left the team - he seems to take that role very seriously and I think that he flexes his NTC on any deal with the goal of being a one-team man for his career.
      ms39 liked this.
      Jul. 14, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
      Quoting: dannibalcorpse
      I'll do my best to be constructive but instead of hitting the trades first I want to talk contracts:

-One thing Gaudreau and Filip Forsberg before him did this summer was set the market for extensions. Forsberg signed 8x$8.5M, Gaudrea signed 7x$9.8M. Even being younger, I can't see Tkachuk pushing *this* much past what those two guys got. I'd put the ceiling of his extension at $10M. Bellows signs below $1M, a long term Dobson extension probably clocks in at $7M max, and Romanov probably bridges at $3M. That's about $5.5M less in cap if you bring the contracts to a more realistic number.

As far as the trade:
      -Not going to comment on the overkill because you said it yourself: you're emptying the entire draft cupboard. I don't think it will take that much, but for the sake of the bit I'll let it slide. It is fair to say that Beau probably heads to Calgary in any version of this deal.

-I don't know if Varlamov waives for San Jose, and I don't think the Sharks have the cap to make this deal straight up. Even if they do, I don't think the Isles add this much - they're more or less the same age, almost identical stats last year, and while Varly has the higher cap hit he also has the recent playoff success so I think he makes up a little of that negative value there.

-Palmieri would probably waive to go back to the Devils, and I think the value is actually fair here. Isles add a little extra value to the package to get a better pick back.

-This goes off the rails. Wahlstrom is a high potential forward and one of the few young NHL-ready players in the organization. Pairing him with Panik and a 4th to get back a pair of 2nds is undervaluing what he's worth to the team.

-Mayfield should have higher value than this - he's an expiring 4th/5th D on a very cheap deal. If I'm moving him I'm looking for a strong package - a 2nd rounder pick and B-tier prospect coming back at least. There's no one in the org ready to step up and take over RD3, so if you're going to create a new hole it has to be for a strong return.

-Minnesota probably doesn't need a goalie after signing MAF and acquiring Filip Gustavsson, and this is where that extra money you saved up to comes into play. Instead of offloading Reimer because of cap constraints, he sticks around as Sorokin's backup and then you don't have to rush Jakub Skarek into the NHL.

-If you want Martin off the roster I think you can more easily bury him in Bridgeport - it's a minimal cap penalty for burying him (~$350K) and I think Lou keeps him around out of loyalty. A 6th and a 7th isn't a ton to pay, sure, but if you can keep those lottery tickets on hand, why not?

-Lee put up 28 goals last year on the island; Lucic has scored 28 total goals in 206 GP since coming to Calgary in 2019. Lee bounced back nicely from his torn ACL last season and plays a game that should hopefully age well - he's not a speed guy, he's a more physical player but he's not a guy that throws the body all the time (the way Lucic played earlier in his career.) I still think you're not gonna love the last couple years on his deal, but he's still a useful player on this team. And you cannot discount the fact that he was the first guy named captain after Tavares left the team - he seems to take that role very seriously and I think that he flexes his NTC on any deal with the goal of being a one-team man for his career.

Thank you for all this. Really thoughtful and I appreciate it.

All of the overpays, I think it comes from the sense that teams would see we’re in dire straits cap-wise and have no inclination to help out. (If there were ever a world where these trades happened in some form—and I realize now that’s particularly unlikely—you’d think Lou would keep it all quiet, though, and avoid the sense of desperation.)

As far as giving up Lee, it hurts on the ice and in the locker room, for sure. It’s also just hard to look at things like The Athletic’s GSVA model and see how Tkachuk put up 5.8 (while wearing an A on his chest) and Beau and Lee combined for 1.5. It would take something special to pry him out of there, especially after losing Gaudreau.

I really do appreciate you taking the thoughts seriously even if I did not execute well. This was not meant as a troll at all. Just a hurt Islanders fan wanting to see his team make a big move to improve (and keep Bailey, sentimentally and probably realistically).
      dannibalcorpse liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll