SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
That’s a very good cap hit

Quoting: NHLfan10506
He is talking about me.

In this thread. The offer was Jack Hughes for Podkolzin, Hoglander and picks. It turned into a debate about who has a better trajectory: Hughes or Podkolzin.

I stand by my every word.

Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
I'll throw in my worthless two cents over here: Devils decline that deal. Hughes' ceiling is just too good-even for such a large haul. I feel like Podkolzin and Hoglander can max at solid 2nd liners/very good 3rd liners, but Hughes' potential is true #1C (he's obviously not there yet, 49 games is not a big enough sample).

EDIT: BTW, I also see why the Canucks would decline this deal-that's a lot of picks and 2 very promising players (albeit with not-nearly-as-high ceilings as Hughes) to give up for one player whose sole special season consisted of 49 games. I'd personally pull the trigger and do it (since I think Hughes will wind up being worth it), but I could completely understand why both VAN and NJD would say no.

Id say this, Hughes and Pettersson are both very good. Vancouver isn't trading Pettersson to NJ for 2 firsts, Mercer and Foote. Aint happening. And if I was the devils i would decline this trade as well. I think that Podzkolvin and Hoglander have been slightly disappointing but that's a different subject. I would say this though, If Hughes isn't injured this year he is better than Pettersson in everyones eyes. IF Pettersson isn't injured and slump for quite some time he is better than Hughes because of how good he should have been. I think they are both pretty comparable players. Personally if i am starting a franchise tomorrow I am going to take Hughes but either one is a good pickup.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Edited Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

The team is Skelleftea although he has been very loyal to Timra. Gotta think at 25 if he goes back that will be it for his NHL career.

He should take it if he’s getting more than 10mil (total value) - as he’d barely get that here in NA. Otherwise no reason to leave.
MatthewsFan and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
You are a whole different kind of biased if you seriously think this entire package doubled (or adding our best trade chip as in Pettersson or Hughes) the Devils would still decline. (One Canucks fan)

Ridiculous

No one trades their 21-year old franchise player for a sum-of-the-parts package. One can add all the lesser pieces they want. (The NHL devils fan)

Breaking news: Pettersson and Hughes are “lesser pieces”
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
That debate only started because you said those are middling pieces. If you simply just said Hughes is untouchable, not getting traded, it could’ve just ended there

What have either done other than get drafted high for the last 3 years to prove right now that they are not middling pieces. Hoglander got worse compared to his rookie season, and Podkolzin wasn't crazy good for a 21 year old who just came form 2 professional year in the NHL. And I am asking this as an honest question, because I don't watch many Canucks games.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
That debate only started because you said those are middling pieces. If you simply just said Hughes is untouchable, not getting traded, it could’ve just ended there

No one wants a replay. It’s all there for others to see.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Id say this, Hughes and Pettersson are both very good. Vancouver isn't trading Pettersson to NJ for 2 firsts, Mercer and Foote. Aint happening. And if I was the devils i would decline this trade as well. I think that Podzkolvin and Hoglander have been slightly disappointing but that's a different subject. I would say this though, If Hughes isn't injured this year he is better than Pettersson in everyones eyes. IF Pettersson isn't injured and slump for quite some time he is better than Hughes because of how good he should have been. I think they are both pretty comparable players. Personally if i am starting a franchise tomorrow I am going to take Hughes but either one is a good pickup.

Difference is Hughes’ 49 game sample size is comparable to Pettersson’s 40 game sample size in the second half of the season. Hughes is younger yes but Pettersson has proven a lot more
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
What have either done other than get drafted high for the last 3 years to prove right now that they are not middling pieces. Hoglander got worse compared to his rookie season, and Podkolzin wasn't crazy good for a 21 year old who just came form 2 professional year in the NHL. And I am asking this as an honest question, because I don't watch many Canucks games.

The Devils fan said that the Canucks can add their best asset and the Devils would decline. Another Canucks fan stated that Pettersson and Hughes are our best assets. That Devils fan then went on to say that Vancouver can give up as many lesser pieces but the Devils still decline. Not sure what he was implying but he made it sound like Pettersson and Hughes on top of that package wouldn’t get Jack

Elias Pettersson
Nils Hoglander
Vasili Podkolzin
2023 first round pick
2024 first round pick
2023 second round pick

Devils still decline. Sound a little outrageous don’t you think?
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:13 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: MatthewsFan

The team is Skelleftea although he has been very loyal to Timra. Gotta think at 25 if he goes back that will be it for his NHL career.

Mind you, that MONSTER CONTRACT is likely a maximum of 1m dollars annually.
Swedish SHL clubs operate with very small budgets due to revenues being a fraction to that of an average NHL franchise.
Besdes, the Swedish tax man is effectively taking 60-65% of that anyways (thank you Social Dems, very cool).
csick, BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:14 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: yikes
more than 10mil

HAHAHAHA oh sweet summer child
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Tintin
Swedish SHL clubs operate with very small budgets due to revenues being a fraction to that of an average NHL franchise.
Besdes, the Swedish tax man is effectively taking 60-65% of that anyways (thank you Social Dems, very cool).

57befc67-e178-434d-90c6-4e87ca75797d_text.gif
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: NHLfan10506
No one wants a replay. It’s all there for others to see.

I think we can admit both made that both of us made some biased arguments but there was no need to get toxic and depreciate Canucks players
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
HAHAHAHA oh sweet summer child

10 mil contract value (2m x 3 = 9m etc etc) otherwise he shouldn’t leave NA
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
10 mil contract value (2m x 3 = 9m etc etc)

AN SHL CLUB OFFERING A MULTI YEAR MULTI MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(the SHL is so poor it's actually kinda pathetic)
yikes liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Hoglander had a rough season and his value is lower but it doesn’t take away from the fact he had almost 15 goals in a shortened season on a terrible Canucks team. Podkolzin at 15 goals this season as well. Nothing eye popping but for 20-21 year olds, it’s not bad. Atleast they were also good analytically in their first year. I think Podkolzin as the higher ceiling which is a first line power forward. He is already on track to being our #1LW
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
AN SHL CLUB OFFERING A MULTI YEAR MULTI MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(the SHL is so poor it's actually kinda pathetic)

I mean Sweden is not a huge country. Not like they have big funding…
Tintin liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.

vs 55% in California
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Edited Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:28 p.m.
New Jersey Devils Vancouver Canucks

Pettersson’s ceiling is higher than Hughes
I’d take Hughes over Pettersson based on last year.

Comes down to subjective opinion at the end of the day. Pettersson showed near franchise level ability and then fell off and slightly picked it up after a rough start last year and a full year of Brucey may get the most out of him again.

Hughes healthy and following his development curve looks like a superstar - with no sign of slowing down unless we presume Hughes had a fluke season and his health can’t keep up.

Again both dudes are injury prone currently.

And to help clarify something with Elias;
This is Pettersson 2022 season split (combing quarter 1+2 and then 3+4 per dobber)

He went from 22 points in 42 games pre/ into Bruce
To 46 points in 38 games with Bruce

Which Elias are we getting? Because if Elias has found his stride again; you pick Elias imo.

Hughes is not close to Elias in GP nor points per game (Elias has him blown out of the water if we’re using points per game).
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Lets just remember the fact that Elias Pettersson is 23 which is considered the PRIME years of an NHL players career, he will be 24 next season. Jack hughes is 21 and will be all next season. NO ONE expects pettersson to be better than Hughes next season. Problem solved.

Elias Pettersson in his rookies season was 20 for most of it. Lets take Jack Hughes 20 year old season and compare only those 2 seasons cause that is all we can do for comparables sake.

Jack Hughes only played 49 games.
Pettersson played 71.
Jack Hughes scored 26 goals
Pettersson scored 28
Jack Hughes got 30 assists
Pettersson had 38.

Hughes numbers are not far off at all and he played 22 less games. Now add in the fact that Hughes is considered an Effective Top 6 Offensive Minded player, and Pettersson during his 20 year old season was considred a Average Sheltered Forward according to Dobbersports. I am taking Hughes, tell me Pettersson is 3 years older and I am taking hughes and your gonna pay if you want to flip those 2 players. If hughes doesn't stop getting injured though....

Albeit.

The Devils fan said that the Canucks can add their best asset and the Devils would decline. Another Canucks fan stated that Pettersson and Hughes are our best assets. That Devils fan then went on to say that Vancouver can give up as many lesser pieces but the Devils still decline. Not sure what he was implying but he made it sound like Pettersson and Hughes on top of that package wouldn’t get Jack

Elias Pettersson
Nils Hoglander
Vasili Podkolzin
2023 first round pick
2024 first round pick
2023 second round pick

Devils still decline. Sound a little outrageous don’t you think?

I probably would take this offer if I was the Devils, but realistically the Canucks aren't going to do this and the Devils would never have to make a choice between a Cost Controlled #1 Center or that package.
Devil liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: SevenLeg
So Kakko and Hughes are apples to apples?

Kakko is better but you get the point
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
I mean Sweden is not a huge country. Not like they have big funding…

True. Only so much revenue to be generated from a country with 10m ppl.
Little incentive for owners to drastically increase spending in such a context, unlike how the KHL developed between 2005 - 2020.
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i think you're lowballing a bit. you'd need ej and the cap increase to account for mack. compher can cover newhook and a replacement player. someone will need to move to cover byram.

I love Bo Byram but he is not a $6 million guy yet. If Avs can extend him ASAP then they can get him at today's price. He is also a massive injury risk; which is why keeping Girard is important.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
New Jersey Devils Vancouver Canucks

Pettersson’s ceiling is higher than Hughes
I’d take Hughes over Pettersson based on last year.

Comes down to subjective opinion at the end of the day. Pettersson showed near franchise level ability and then fell off and slightly picked it up after a rough start last year and a full year of Brucey may get the most out of him again.

Hughes healthy and following his development curve looks like a superstar - with no sign of slowing down unless we presume Hughes had a fluke season and his health can’t keep up.

Again both dudes are injury prone currently.

And to help clarify something with Elias;
This is Pettersson 2022 season split (combing quarter 1+2 and then 3+4 per dobber)

He went from 22 points in 42 games pre/ into Bruce
To 46 points in 38 games with Bruce

Which Elias are we getting? Because if Elias has found his stride again; you pick Elias imo.

Hughes is not close to Elias in GP nor points per game (Elias has him blown out of the water if we’re using points per game).

To add; if you value health. You have to reduce Hughes value. Yes his analytics and eye test both show superstar in the making but Elias isn’t lost and chasing that. He’s right there in superstar ability. Additionally Elias has been “healthier” and produced more.

Sure Elias ain’t perfect but ladies… Hughes did have 21 and 31 points prior. Yeah sure use the injury argument but then you also have to allow Elias the same argument plus the Boudreau factor.

I would say we need to see both players play this season. But a one for one involves both teams declining. And if one team DID offer a trade. It’s too uncertain. Would the Nucks try and trade Elias before his arb rights and potential payday for a cost controlled Hughes? Would the Devils trade for the healthier and potentially better player?
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:33 p.m.
retired
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I love Bo Byram but he is not a $6 million guy yet. If Avs can extend him ASAP then they can get him at today's price. He is also a massive injury risk; which is why keeping Girard is important.

i think he will get something similar to sergs 2nd contract. 3x 4.5m
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
To add; if you value health. You have to reduce Hughes value. Yes his analytics and eye test both show superstar in the making but Elias isn’t lost and chasing that. He’s right there in superstar ability. Additionally Elias has been “healthier” and produced more.

Sure Elias ain’t perfect but ladies… Hughes did have 21 and 31 points prior. Yeah sure use the injury argument but then you also have to allow Elias the same argument plus the Boudreau factor.

I think the 21/31 points prior argument could just be the fact he was 18-19, and Pettersson turned 20 in his rookies season like 10 games in. Hughes turned 20 before last season. Completely agree though.

Right now i take hughes if i had to pick. If hughes is injured again next year he isn't getting picked.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
What am I supposed to do to compare them then? Not my fault they aren’t the same age. Guess we can’t compare any player in the league unless they are the same age because “well this player was drafted in this year and their rookie year was in a different year than that player”

How do your propose we fairly compare the two players?

Well if you use context and similar situations, then it would be a problem. You can't go out there and compare Hughes' rookie season to Bunting's rookie season. Its unfair given that Bunting has more experience, better linemates, more ice time, etc. Same thing with Pettersson's rookie year vs Hughes.

Best way to compare them is look at their stats as 20 year olds

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll