SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #12 - On The Links

Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Give me some statistics in Rathbone's previous seasons to show me how he has a worse ceiling than Lundkvist's floor.

Edit: I don't know why you are so high on Lundkvist. He has good skills but his transition to North America hasnt exactly been eye popping. Using SHL stats from past years to grade the prospect as they are now after a mediocre performance in North America is truly a head scratcher

D+1 NHLE
Rathbone: 12
Lundkvist : 15

D+2 NHL E
Rathbone: 20
Lundkvist: 45

D+3
Rathbone : 34
Lundkvist: 40

Im high on him because he he had 2 of the best U21 SHL seasons by a defenseman, is very well rounded and doesn’t have a weakness in his game. Elite IQ, elite mobility and is good in all 3 zones.
Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Db1899
D+1 NHLE
Rathbone: 12
Lundkvist : 15

D+2 NHL E
Rathbone: 20
Lundkvist: 45

D+3
Rathbone : 34
Lundkvist: 40

Im high on him because he he had 2 of the best U21 SHL seasons by a defenseman, is very well rounded and doesn’t have a weakness in his game. Elite IQ, elite mobility and is good in all 3 zones.

Prospects success can change a lot over multiple years. He is not as exciting as he was when he was dominating the SHL. You are completely disregarding the fact that in this moment of time, Rathbone is better, and has shown he has the higher ceiling playing in North America.

Edit: I'm surprised Rathbone had a similar NHLE in their D+1 year considering Lundkvist was a first round pick, whereas Rathbone was a FOURTH round pick
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Prospects success can change a lot over multiple years. He is not as exciting as he was when he was dominating the SHL. You are completely disregarding the fact that in this moment of time, Rathbone is better, and has shown he has the higher ceiling playing in North America.

Edit: I'm surprised Rathbone had a similar NHLE in their D+1 year considering Lundkvist was a first round pick, whereas Rathbone was a FOURTH round pick

Rathbone is better right now than Lundkvist but Rathbone hasn't shown to me that he has a higher ceiling than a #4/5 guy, i see him becoming a very good 3rd pair guy, Lundkvist may bust but i could see him becoming a good 2nd pair option
Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Rathbone is better right now than Lundkvist but Rathbone hasn't shown to me that he has a higher ceiling than a #4/5 guy, i see him becoming a very good 3rd pair guy, Lundkvist may bust but i could see him becoming a good 2nd pair option

Rathbone was over a point per game in the AHL at 22, named to the AHL all rookie team. I don't see how that translates to bottom pair guy at all. Lundkvist's North America play has not been close to Rathbone. Both have played the same amount of hockey since they were drafted (Rathbone basically skipped last year)
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
KFTW
Rathbone was over a point per game in the AHL at 22, named to the AHL all rookie team. I don't see how that translates to bottom pair guy at all. Lundkvist's North America play has not been close to Rathbone. Both have played the same amount of hockey since they were drafted (Rathbone basically skipped last year)

Rathbone reminds me of Sami Niku
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.

Points don't equal NHL success, we've seen plenty of guys put up amazing AHL years while not doing anything NHL wise, Rathbone needs to show the upside too, he has skill, that's not in question but the upside hasn't been shown to me
Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Who would be Lundkvist's NHL comparable? For Rathbone, he has the Quinn Hughes tool set with a better shot, but took way longer to develop
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Points don't equal NHL success, we've seen plenty of guys put up amazing AHL years while not doing anything NHL wise, Rathbone needs to show the upside too, he has skill, that's not in question but the upside hasn't been shown to me

Define upside. He has production, and he has skill. I really don't see why you are limiting his ceiling
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
Define upside. He has production, and he has skill. I really don't see why you are limiting his ceiling

Upside is the project-ability and translate-ability of a player's skill, production doesn't mean upside or else DFD's would all be horrible, skill doesn't mean upside because some players have amazing skill but can't put their skills together to get to the next level
Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Upside is the project-ability and translate-ability of a player's skill, production doesn't mean upside or else DFD's would all be horrible, skill doesn't mean upside because some players have amazing skill but can't put their skills together to get to the next level

Then tell me why Rathbone doesn't have high upside. I'm listening
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Then tell me why Rathbone doesn't have high upside. I'm listening

Because he hasn't shown to me that the project-ability of his skill is higher than that of a 3rd pair D
Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Because he hasn't shown to me that the project-ability of his skill is higher than that of a 3rd pair D

Are you going to elaborate on that? You keep saying "he doesn't high very high upside" but you never say why...
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: csick
Rathbone reminds me of Sami Niku

But Jack doesn't have that glorious flow that Sami has (well, had), though...
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
But Jack doesn't have that glorious flow that Sami has (well, had), though...

E0lnzrVUcAQleso.jpg

Decent flow. He should grow a mullet
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gagner to Wpg just feels weird

Like honestly I thought Toronto or Edmonton were gonna grab him
oilersguy and Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.

You are putting way too much emphasis on points. There are plenty of other factors to consider when projecting a defensemans future in the NHL. IQ, pace, defensive ability ,etc…

You’re also disregarding that Lundkvist had a good season (in the NHL). He was able to drive offense at even strength and on the PP. It was pretty similar to Dobson’s rookie year.. both played with awful D partners, were able to drive play but lack of points was due to lack of opportunity.

I don’t think there’s an NHL team (besides the Canucks) that would take Rathbone over lundkvist right now
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
You are putting way too much emphasis on points. There are plenty of other factors to consider when projecting a defensemans future in the NHL. IQ, pace, defensive ability ,etc…

You’re also disregarding that Lundkvist had a good season (in the NHL). He was able to drive offense at even strength and on the PP. It was pretty similar to Dobson’s rookie year.. both played with awful D partners, were able to drive play but lack of points was due to lack of opportunity.

I don’t think there’s an NHL team (besides the Canucks) that would take Rathbone over lundkvist right now

Hockey IQ, and pace are two of Jack Rathbone's best attributes... I'm not sure what you are going on about. As for defensive ability, neither Rathbone or Lundkvists are studs at defense. I guess we are really lowering the bar for the term "good" if you can classify Lundkvists NHL stint as "good". If he was "good", why didn't he stay in the NHL? Clearly the Rangers didn't think he was good enough to be in the top 6 with Schneider taking his spot
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Hockey IQ, and pace are two of Jack Rathbone's best attributes... I'm not sure what you are going on about. As for defensive ability, neither Rathbone or Lundkvists are studs at defense. I guess we are really lowering the bar for the term "good" if you can classify Lundkvists NHL stint as "good". If he was "good", why didn't he stay in the NHL? Clearly the Rangers didn't think he was good enough to be in the top 6 with Schneider taking his spot

Rathbones hockey sense in all 3 zones is not on Lundkvists level. Lundkvist is more of a Devon toews type d, his high end IQ and skating allows his to be effective in all 3 zones, not a flashy D but extremely effective. Rathbone is like a poor mans ghostisbehre.

I wouldn't be using the rangers decision making on prospects to prove a point. They have proven they have no idea how to evaluate. He was miles better than Braden Schneider, the difference is Schneider is 6'2
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Rathbones hockey sense in all 3 zones is not on Lundkvists level. Lundkvist is more of a Devon toews type d, his high end IQ and skating allows his to be effective in all 3 zones, not a flashy D but extremely effective.

I wouldn't be using the rangers decision making on prospects to prove a point. They have proven they have no idea how to evaluate. He was miles better than Braden Schneider, the difference is Schneider is 6'2

So are you going to tell me what Rathbone's deficiencies are or what? Do you plan on telling me why Rathbone's hockey IQ is not up to par with Lundkvist?
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.
cautious optimism
We're now within a month from the beginning of preseason.

Over/under 30 season discussion threads before the playoffs?
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
Are you going to elaborate on that? You keep saying "he doesn't high very high upside" but you never say why...

As I’ve been saying in like my last 3 posts, Rathbone doesn’t have high upside because I don’t see his skills becoming much better, he’ll top off as a good 3rd pair D imo, if he can show that his skills can project at a higher level, his ceiling will get move up
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
As I’ve been saying in like my last 3 posts, Rathbone doesn’t have high upside because I don’t see his skills becoming much better, he’ll top off as a good 3rd pair D imo, if he can show that his skills can project at a higher level, his ceiling will get move up

Going to explain how his skills aren't getting better? Can you even tell me what Rathbone's skills are?
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
So are you going to tell me what Rathbone's deficiencies are or what? Do you plan on telling me why Rathbone's hockey IQ is not up to par with Lundkvist?

defense and his hockey sense isn't as good as Lundkvist, which is why the most likely outcome is rathbone will be a #5, Lundkvist #3. Lundkvist is one of the highest IQ prospects in the game.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
defense and his hockey sense isn't as good as Lundkvist, which is why the most likely outcome is rathbone will be a #5, Lundkvist #3. Lundkvist is one of the highest IQ prospects in the game.

Have you not watched Rathbone? Hockey IQ is one of his best attributes.
csick liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 3:02 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I rather have Lundkvist over Rathbone and that says something considering I hate the Rangers
A_Habs_fan, zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll