Forums/Armchair-GM

Timo Time In Calgary

Created by: Bobcat205
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 28, 2022
Published: Oct. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is an idea from the thread discussing Dan Vladar's new contract. From @BeterChiarelli:

"...if you focus on how the Flames' core is supposed to age out in say, 5 years, having a really good goaltender makes doing the tanking half of this procedure a nightmare.

I wouldn't move (Wolf) for a rental, but if Kylington, Wolf, a high pick, and a Lucic dump gets you Timo Meier, that's a deal the Flames have to look at for a metric minute."

Here's what that would look like.

(Please note that i am not a Flames fan, so i don't know how they would set up the lines off the top of my head. This is just a guess.)
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$67,162,500$0$200,000$15,337,500

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Devils offer more
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Wolf is not available. He will not be involved in that trade. Also Calgary will have 6M cap space at the TDL so Lucic will not need to be involved at all. Lastly there is zero possibility that Calgary can fit Meier in with an extension so he is a rental at the end of the day
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
SJ going to want prospects and picks. We can offer Holtz + 2023 1st. Holtz has more value than any of the players you've listed here and our first will likely end up being a better pick than yours
Burnzie8_88_4Cup liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Pretty pathetic offer for Timo Meier, And with less than $2,000,000 to sign 6 players. Curious where you think you're coming up with $8,000,000 to $9,000,000 per to sign him?
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Devsfan25
Devils offer more

Quoting: Devsfan25
SJ going to want prospects and picks. We can offer Holtz + 2023 1st. Holtz has more value than any of the players you've listed here and our first will likely end up being a better pick than yours

Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Pretty pathetic offer for Timo Meier, And with less than $2,000,000 to sign 6 players. Curious where you think you're coming up with $8,000,000 to $9,000,000 per to sign him?

Not a bad offer for a Rental, which is all Meier would probably be for the Flames, but I don't know if Treliving will offer up Wolf at all.

In order to re-sign Meier, CGY would have to move/dump Toffoli, Hanifin and/or Zadorov (Backlund & Tanev are two other but far less likely options) in the off-season. Better to do this deal at the deadline and get Meier 50% retained and keep Lucic for the Playoffs though

Why would NJD pay so much for him when a contender can use him for their playoff run and then NJD can acquire his RFA Signing Rights for far less in the off-season and sign him then!?

Holtz's play hasn't translated to the NHL whatsoever, so I'd pump the brakes on considering him as hot of a prospect anymore. He's young, so can still turn it around yet, but the fact you'd be willing to part with him suggests he's not as promising as he once was or NJD fans hoped for. I much prefer Fabian Zetterlund over Holtz myself.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Wolf is not available. He will not be involved in that trade. Also Calgary will have 6M cap space at the TDL so Lucic will not need to be involved at all. Lastly there is zero possibility that Calgary can fit Meier in with an extension so he is a rental at the end of the day

Don't agree.

Meier would immediately become the Flames 3rd best forward. You find places elsewhere with less important players to make the money work if you have to (Zadorov, Toffoli etc.). And if the cap does end up going up $4M as reported last week, it could be very doable. Meier is exactly the type of player this Flames team should be going for---perfectly fits their identity and window.

And you'd prefer to do a deal that doesn't involve Wolf, but Wolf should absolutely not be untouchable. Especially in a deal for a guy like Meier. Still a ton of uncertainty about what Wolf will be at the NHL level and when he might get there. The window to win is now and as good as Wolf is, he probably doesn't become an NHL starter any time close to that window. Should have learned our lessons about over-valuing prospects when we refused to move Valimaki for Mark Stone.

I think Coronato is the prospect that would go, though, if we're talking Meier. Along with a 2023 1st. And some other pieces on top of that.

Agree that if you wait you don't need to included Looch. But also think you don't want to wait until TDL if you're CGY (but that's kind of out of their control). That said, think the play there would be to pay more to convince SJ to eat money rather than moving bodies out.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: TheSummerofGeorge
Don't agree.

Meier would immediately become the Flames 3rd best forward. You find places elsewhere with less important players to make the money work if you have to (Zadorov, Toffoli etc.). And if the cap does end up going up $4M as reported last week, it could be very doable. Meier is exactly the type of player this Flames team should be going for---perfectly fits their identity and window.

And you'd prefer to do a deal that doesn't involve Wolf, but Wolf should absolutely not be untouchable. Especially in a deal for a guy like Meier. Still a ton of uncertainty about what Wolf will be at the NHL level and when he might get there. The window to win is now and as good as Wolf is, he probably doesn't become an NHL starter any time close to that window. Should have learned our lessons about over-valuing prospects when we refused to move Valimaki for Mark Stone.

I think Coronato is the prospect that would go, though, if we're talking Meier. Along with a 2023 1st. And some other pieces on top of that.

Agree that if you wait you don't need to included Looch. But also think you don't want to wait until TDL if you're CGY (but that's kind of out of their control). That said, think the play there would be to pay more to convince SJ to eat money rather than moving bodies out.

Do you not realize Calgary's cap crunch next year? Meier will be getting at minimum 7.5M next season and could easily demand higher due to his QO. Between Huberdeau, Weegar, and Vladar Calgary is already handing out just over 6M in raises alone with Lucic (5.25M) being the only relevant cap hit coming off the books. So how exactly do you fit Meier in there? You can't.

Valimaki is a poor example and we gave up on him for even poorer reasons. When the Mark Stone trade occurred he was viewed as a highly valued prospect and Calgary couldn't afford to extend Stone. Valimaki is now playing great in Arizona and is proving how we screwed up.

As for Wolf, maybe go and look up the list of goalies that put up his kind of numbers in their D+3 AHL rookie year in the last decade. Here's a hint, between them there are 2 cup rings, 1 Vezina winner, 1 Jennings, and 3 Vezina finalists (including the win). Only one of those 5 goalies has not panned out as a full time starter in the NHL.

I think if Calgary wants to add a Meier type player Mantha is a much more realistic target unless the plan is to pay rental price on Meier only.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
Steep price. I don't see Calgary doing it without a contract in place already. I can't see wolf being included
Oct. 29, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Rotheisler
I think allot of people don't understand how delicate dressing dynamics work. 82.5M is the same salary cap for everybody. The difference is how many people you have outplaying or underplaying their contracts. I get trading Lucic from a numbers point of view or if this is NHL23, but as long as you account for shaving off a percentage of production from everybody else in the line up once you loose leadership, like Lucic. Just be very careful who your willing to throw away for an EA Sports style upgrade. We have all seen many many rosters which get "more" talent, yet less performance. Also have to keep in mind, that he is very likely to sign after this contract for a team friendly deal. One of the few guys I have heard of to waive their NMC as well for betterment of the team on an expansion draft. Believe me, I completely understand he is overpaid. I would just be very careful before I remove that leg from the table.
Oct. 30, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Do you not realize Calgary's cap crunch next year? Meier will be getting at minimum 7.5M next season and could easily demand higher due to his QO. Between Huberdeau, Weegar, and Vladar Calgary is already handing out just over 6M in raises alone with Lucic (5.25M) being the only relevant cap hit coming off the books. So how exactly do you fit Meier in there? You can't.

Valimaki is a poor example and we gave up on him for even poorer reasons. When the Mark Stone trade occurred he was viewed as a highly valued prospect and Calgary couldn't afford to extend Stone. Valimaki is now playing great in Arizona and is proving how we screwed up.

As for Wolf, maybe go and look up the list of goalies that put up his kind of numbers in their D+3 AHL rookie year in the last decade. Here's a hint, between them there are 2 cup rings, 1 Vezina winner, 1 Jennings, and 3 Vezina finalists (including the win). Only one of those 5 goalies has not panned out as a full time starter in the NHL.

I think if Calgary wants to add a Meier type player Mantha is a much more realistic target unless the plan is to pay rental price on Meier only.

But the point is that---even with a cap crunch---Meier is a better player than most of the other guys on the roster, many of whom should be easily movable if you have to. Lucic's money comes off, so we're not stuck with another Monahan situation where we'd have to pay to clear room.

For example, paying $3.25M to Zadorov on the 3rd pairing is a luxury, not a necessity. Paying Meier would be more important.

If the cap does go up the reported $4M, and you dump Zadorov, you've got $8.54M to fill out your roster for next year. Dump Toffoli, and now you've got $12.8M, with 5-6 spots to fill. You could easily give Meier something in the $8.5M range and fill out your roster with cheap or young guys like Pelletier, Phillips, Ritchie, Stone etc.

Is it ideal---no. But wanting to keep guys like Toffoli or Zadorov over a guy like Meier is a flat out stupid reason for not being willing to make the trade.

Your argument for Valimaki makes no sense. The lesson to be learned is overvaluing prospects based on what they *might* become without accounting for all of the other possible outcomes and probabilities. Yes, it was possible Valimaki would become a player more valuable than Mark Stone would have been. But it was far more likely he wouldn't be. We vastly overvalued him. You can make up whatever excuses you want to to justify it. But all of the reporting at the time of the trade was consistent----we were confident we could get an extension done with stone, but the deal breaker was that we didn't want to give up Valimaki. Feel free to look up all of the reporting from that day from Friedman, Steinberg, Leslie etc.

As for Wolf, if you're relying on raw save percentage to project what he's going to be at the NHL level, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Comparing him to Vezina winners is absolutely ridiculous. There are still a ton of question marks about what he'll be in the NHL, and when. Great prospect, for sure. Far from untouchable, especially for a guy like Timo Meier. Nobody else in the league is valuing Wolf anywhere close to the level Flames fans are who are looking at nothing but raw save percentage, which is a horrible determinant of talent or future NHL success.

Meier would be a perfect addition. Yes, things would get uncomfortable with the cap for next year, but that was always going to be the case, and the cap is not impossible. Plus the cap is expected to keep going up significantly, so it really only causes heart burn for that one year. And makes the team better.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll