Forums/Armchair-GM

Tarasenko is a Better Blockbuster Option than Kane

Created by: Shakabakes
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2022
Published: Dec. 13, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Much more Cap maneuverability with Tarasenko over Kane. While not having to include a 3rd team. Less assets given up, as well.

Plus, I personally think Tarasenko is the better Goal scorer of the Two. Kane is more of a distributor, like Bread. Don't need 2 of those.
Trades
NYR
  1. Tarasenko, Vladimir ($3,750,000 retained)
STL
  1. Kravtsov, Vitali
  2. 2023 1st round pick (DAL)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
The better of the Two First Round Picks
VAN
  1. Pajuniemi, Lauri
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
NYR
  1. Domi, Max ($1,500,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Blais, Samuel
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,641,469$0$3,700,000$2,858,531
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 2
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$0$0
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$50,000$50K)
G
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 13, 2022 at 7:53 a.m.
2018 Canucks
A bust a 1st a 2nd & StL retains nope sorry

Everyone tends to say overpay for rentals but it’s normal every TDL. Will continue. Need to add if retaining imo.
Billy739 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 7:59 a.m.
Billy739
With RS and atleast 5-10 of the 20-22 teams that are competing for a real playoff spot in a position to buy the market isnt going to let Vlad go so cheap.
I think a better prospect or an additional 1st in addition to what you have will be more likely what we see exchanged
Without RS sure this deal works with STL taking less then atleast 1/3 of the 5-10 teams in on Vlad will offer just to avoid RS for 3-4 months... o wait that sound absurd.

While this fit would be incredible really , i think the only way STL RS is for the highest bidder .
After trying to move him for 3 summers and 2 Drafts they arent in a position where they'd forgo profit during their retool.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:07 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
With RS and atleast 5-10 of the 20-22 teams that are competing for a real playoff spot in a position to buy the market isnt going to let Vlad go so cheap.
I think a better prospect or an additional 1st in addition to what you have will be more likely what we see exchanged
Without RS sure this deal works with STL taking less then atleast 1/3 of the 5-10 teams in on Vlad will offer just to avoid RS for 3-4 months... o wait that sound absurd.

While this fit would be incredible really , i think the only way STL RS is for the highest bidder .
After trying to move him for 3 summers and 2 Drafts they arent in a position where they'd forgo profit during their retool.

If a different Prospect other than Kravtsov is needed, than fine.
Nobody is paying 2 First Round Picks for a half year of Tarasenko.
Billy739 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:11 a.m.
yotes own canada
Quoting: Shakabakes

othmann a '23 first and maybe a third and we'll retain 50 percent and pay the third team if necessary
Billy739 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:21 a.m.
Billy739

ill take that bet
Ill stipulate they'll be conditioned for sure
But Vlad is one of the most dominate goal scorers the past 10 years and won a cup
You'll be shocked to learn Contenders covet these things and as far as cost goes

Hagel got 2 first round picks and two prospects taken in the 2nd round last year
Just saying Captialism is Supply vs Demand and with 22 teams buying that makes it fun this year
Especially when of those remaining 10 teams out of the playoff picture not buying that only 4 so far are actively selling.
ANA was trying to end its rebuild with the addition of Klingberg to back up Gibson but instead they're gonna get a top pick thanks to injuries piling up.
I doubt they blow it up and sell more then Klingberg and most of the 10 teams out of the playoff are in similar positions.

I just dont see how with whats available that Taresenko gets less then a 2 first round picks.
I mean if STL was open to taking just one they woulda closed the deal last TDL but felt lowballed
The reason they held out is they understand how the TDL works with Supply vs Demand dictating Value
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:49 a.m.
Mods have power egos
ill take that bet
But Vlad is one of the most dominate goal scorers the past 10 years and won a cup
You'll be shocked to learn Contenders covet these things and as far as cost goes

Hagel got 2 first round picks and two prospects taken in the 2nd round last year
Just saying Captialism is Supply vs Demand and with 22 teams buying that makes it fun this year
Especially when of those remaining 10 teams out of the playoff picture not buying that only 4 so far are actively selling.
ANA was trying to end its rebuild with the addition of Klingberg to back up Gibson but instead they're gonna get a top pick thanks to injuries piling up.
I doubt they blow it up and sell more then Klingberg and most of the 10 teams out of the playoff are in similar positions.

I just dont see how with whats available that Taresenko gets less then a 2 first round picks.
I mean if STL was open to taking just one they woulda closed the deal last TDL but felt lowballed
The reason they held out is they understand how the TDL works with Supply vs Demand dictating Value

Not event gunna read past the "Hagel got 2 first " because he had multiple years on a very low aav. Tank won't fetch more than Kane especially with your logic, considering Kane has been one of the best players in the league for 15 years and has 3 cups
Shakabakes, Ab27 and x1x1x1x liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:53 a.m.
ill take that bet

Hagel had 2 and a half years left on a low Cap 3 year deal...and that's before he becomes an RFA again. Not an expiring Contract. Completely different.

More term, than Yes, probably multiple 1sts. But that's not the case.
NYRxLundqvist, Lenny7, Ab27 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: dickie_boon
othmann a '23 first and maybe a third and we'll retain 50 percent and pay the third team if necessary

Not getting our Top Prospect (ranked as one of the Top 20 in the NHL, overall) for a rental. Especially with his ELC being pivotal to our Cap strapped team next Season.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
Hawks accept!
Shakabakes liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:04 a.m.
NYR27
People on here acting like getting Vlad for a rental is as valuable as getting DeBrincat last season lol.

He will likely fetch what Giroux got last season which was a 1st, 3rd, and Tippet (average prospect), so I do not think this is that far off.

I don't think there has been a traded player at the deadline that has fetched what you guys are asking. Multiple first rd picks and prospects.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
Mods have power egos
Quoting: Ab27
People on here acting like getting Vlad for a rental is as valuable as getting DeBrincat last season lol.

He will likely fetch what Giroux got last season which was a 1st, 3rd, and Tippet (average prospect), so I do not think this is that far off.

I don't think there has been a traded player at the deadline that has fetched what you guys are asking. Multiple first rd picks and prospects.

But giroux is insane at faceoffs and is a center which has more value... so probably less
x1x1x1x and Ab27 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
Lenny7
ill take that bet

The Hagel thing has been touched on by a couple of other users here...is there another example of a rental that has got multiple 1sts in recent memory? I don't disagree that he's probably a better option that Kane, but the rental market this year for forwards *should* be pretty swamped.
x1x1x1x liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:14 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
The Hagel thing has been touched on by a couple of other users here...is there another example of a rental that has got multiple 1sts in recent memory? I don't disagree that he's probably a better option that Kane, but the rental market this year for forwards *should* be pretty swamped.

While I hate to be reminded of it, Martin St Louis was traded to the Rangers for a 1st Rounder and a Conditional Pick that became another 1st Rounder for reaching the Finals.

But that was not only a Conditional pick,but also a year a half of St Louis, ad opposed to an expiring Contract.

And even then (and rightfully so), most frowned upon it.
Lenny7 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Lenny7
While I hate to be reminded of it, Martin St Louis was traded to the Rangers for a 1st Rounder and a Conditional Pick that became another 1st Rounder for reaching the Finals.

But that was not only a Conditional pick,but also a year a half of St Louis, ad opposed to an expiring Contract.

And even then (and rightfully so), most frowned upon it.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think you're trade is very far off. I wouldn't go crazy by switching up Othmann and Krav, but maybe someone like Cuylle or Robertson. Even then that's a pretty hefty package for Tank (IMO). He would certainly fill a void for the Rags though...*IF* I was doing it though, I'd be pulling the trigger ASAP...every point is going to be important for them...the difference between 2nd and 6th in that division is bananas.
Shakabakes and x1x1x1x liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Yeah, I mean, I don't think you're trade is very far off. I wouldn't go crazy by switching up Othmann and Krav, but maybe someone like Cuylle or Robertson. Even then that's a pretty hefty package for Tank (IMO). He would certainly fill a void for the Rags though...*IF* I was doing it though, I'd be pulling the trigger ASAP...every point is going to be important for them...the difference between 2nd and 6th in that division is bananas.

While that would definitely benefit the Rangers, I don't think it would benefit the Blues.

Not only do they 100% need to know they are out of the Playoff hunt (and in a true position to Sell), but they want the contenders to battle against one another to get the best price (which I still think is closer to mine, as opposed to some of the other deals that were mentioned).

Both of those situations will occur closer to the TDL.
Lenny7 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 9:34 a.m.
Lenny7
While that would definitely benefit the Rangers, I don't think it would benefit the Blues.

Not only do they 100% need to know they are out of the Playoff hunt (and in a true position to Sell), but they want the contenders to battle against one another to get the best price (which I still think is closer to mine, as opposed to some of the other deals that were mentioned).

Both of those situations will occur closer to the TDL.

100% agree that it doesn't happen any time soon, but man, I wouldn't want to be the GM sitting on my hands in that division...bad week or two and you're done-fer.
Shakabakes liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 10:06 a.m.
Jimbo1119
If we're going to expend assets like that, and if St Louis is in fact in sell mode, I have a MUCH better option to look into:
rather than buy a Kane or Tarasenko for a single Cup run (assuming NYR even make the playoffs), while we are "willing" to part with these assets, I'd go a step further- and pay even more-in the interest of bringing in a KNOWN commodity, who is signed beyond this year:

BRING BACK BUCH!!!
Dec. 13, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
If we're going to expend assets like that, and if St Louis is in fact in sell mode, I have a MUCH better option to look into:
rather than buy a Kane or Tarasenko for a single Cup run (assuming NYR even make the playoffs), while we are "willing" to part with these assets, I'd go a step further- and pay even more-in the interest of bringing in a KNOWN commodity, who is signed beyond this year:

BRING BACK BUCH!!!

While everyone would love that...

A) His production, as well as his sweet contract, would definitely cost both 1sts and Kravtsov. At least...

And B) paying that amount to bring back one of your own players, that you gave away for Blais and a 2nd, is definitely a bad look when it comes to asset management.
Jimbo1119 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
Jimbo1119
While everyone would love that...

A) His production, as well as his sweet contract, would definitely cost both 1sts and Kravtsov. At least...

And B) paying that amount to bring back one of your own players, that you gave away for Blais and a 2nd, is definitely a bad look when it comes to asset management.

On these threads I NEVER advocate moving 1st round picks...let alone 2. But this is the one scenario I would consider what you mention and a bit more. Unfortunately, the bigger consideration here is your point"B"....it would be a HUGE admission of a botched trade. Not so much because of the return (yeah Blais has been underwhelming but part of that is his injury)- but the admission that trading skill for grit is a terrible idea. I'd gain a lot of respect for Drury if he were willing to look in the mirror and own up to this disastrous mind set which led to "scuttling" Buch. Of course, I'm not holding my breath...much more likely for them to continue trying to find ways to justify this trade (like Blais on PP2- PLEASE!!!)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll