MIN
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Nemec, Simon
  3. Sharangovich, Yegor [RFA Rights]
  4. Vilén, Topias
  5. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
#1 winger prospect in the system
#2 LD prospect in the system (look him up before you say he’s nothing)
#1 RD prospect in the system
Solid top 9, versatile, young forward.
Unconditional 1st

Never mind if they accept or not. They wouldn’t unless the deal started with Jack, but In a vacuum,
How far off am I when it comes to value?
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$82,687,500$422,500$857,500$812,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$7,850,000$7,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
UFA - 5
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 4
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 26, 2022 at 4:48 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Very interested in what the Wild fans are gonna think of this.

That’s a crazy contract for Tank tho
KDev liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
GM
Would NJD trade Hughes? No don't think so. Pretty sure this is shared for MIN fans too.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Banned
Very far , because ld prospect isn't a need, neither is rhd. So two of those pieces does nothing for Minnesota when they are full at LD for the next 6, 7 year's at least. Even after dumba leaves, Minnesota has Brock faber coming in. Then they have Carson lambos, Ryan o'Rourke, Jack peart, Damon hunt

Then winger isn't a need when they have Marco Rossi, marat k, Liam O, and Danila Yurov coming. 1st round picks and high 2nd round pick spent on them
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:13 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Dafa
Very far , because ld prospect isn't a need, neither is rhd. So two of those pieces does nothing for Minnesota when they are full at LD for the next 6, 7 year's at least. Even after dumba leaves, Minnesota has Brock faber coming in. Then they have Carson lambos, Ryan o'Rourke, Jack peart, Damon hunt

Then winger isn't a need when they have Marco Rossi, marat k, Liam O, and Danila Yurov coming. 1st round picks and high 2nd round pick spent on them

Welcome to CapFriendly new user
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
Welcome to CapFriendly new user

That's like his 10th account.

I'm sure you remember Wildnochance and a few of his other screennames. Keeps getting banned, and keeps making new accounts.

It's a never-ending cycle it appears with him.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:25 p.m.

Yeah that all makes sense. Minnesotas weakness is obviously center and that’s the one area in devils prospect pool that is also weak. I mainly did this cause I was bored and wanted to see if we had the value for Kaprizov without trading Jack, Luke and Nico. Not counting team needs I feel like the value is there but then again, It’s not like I would want to trade my star player regardless
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:25 p.m.

But Holtz, Nemec are much better prospects than any of those guys listed.
tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: HeadHighSauce
Very interested in what the Wild fans are gonna think of this.

That’s a crazy contract for Tank tho

Meh depending on the strength of his Shoulder it’s only a 4 year deal and with the cap continuing to go up I think the deal is fine. And with Tank and Kaprizov like I have in this obviously unrealistic scenario, we have 2 pure goal scorers on and 2 playmakers to dish them the puck
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:34 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Quoting: KDev
Meh depending on the strength of his Shoulder it’s only a 4 year deal and with the cap continuing to go up I think the deal is fine. And with Tank and Kaprizov like I have in this obviously unrealistic scenario, we have 2 pure goal scorers on and 2 playmakers to dish them the puck

Just doubt he costs that much at all at his age and production levels
Tbrew liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:38 p.m.
Quoting: HeadHighSauce
Just doubt he costs that much at all at his age and production levels

Definitely possible!
Dec. 26, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
Edited Dec. 26, 2022 at 7:03 p.m.
Quoting: KDev
Yeah that all makes sense. Minnesotas weakness is obviously center and that’s the one area in devils prospect pool that is also weak. I mainly did this cause I was bored and wanted to see if we had the value for Kaprizov without trading Jack, Luke and Nico. Not counting team needs I feel like the value is there but then again, It’s not like I would want to trade my star player regardless

In a vacuum, I think it's somewhat close but still far off. For multiple reasons.

1) Vilén needs to be replaced with something else.

No disrespect intended, as I don't know enough about him to say how good of a prospect he is or not. I'll take your word for it that he's good, in point of fact. He's just not a need, at a position we're already too deep in.

What that piece is/would be instead, is open for debate. I would personally ask for Mercer, but that probably tips it into overpay territory.

2) While I really like Sharangovich. That's a pretty hefty downgrade at wing from Kaprizov, which I get is why both Holtz and Nemec are there. But that drop-off is the major reason why I don't think this works.

I feel like it would either cost an overpay by adding in someone like Mercer in place of Vilén to get us to potentially bite on it or the Devils would have to bite the bullet and move one of Jack, Nico, or Luke. Bratt could be an option there too. But like you said, that kinda defeats the purpose of the experiment.

Sorry, 🤷‍♂️.
KDev and Tbrew liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If the Wild are in cap trouble with their recapture penalties next season, this type of trade is possible.
tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 7:22 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NHLfan10506
But Holtz, Nemec are much better prospects than any of those guys listed.

Jared spurgeon, Jonas brodin are under long term contract at ld. Calen Addison is showing at right. And faber is really goid abd Minnesota who will be given a roster spot as soon season is over. Also the picks Minnesota just spent on those guts mean they wouldn't take on anymore ld. Jacob Middleton also understood contract for multi years along with 6th/7th pair Jon merrill.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.
Banned
Ok so this is an interesting thought expirement. It has a near impossible chance of being pulled off, but there are a few considerations before everyone, either side shuts this down.

1. Not this season, no way Minny gives up in their current position.
2. Cap is only going up 1 million next year, and the buyouts on the books will cost an additional million each next year. Minny loses 1 million of cap flexibility.
3. I was surprised to see Holtz at wing. His draft year, he was billed as someone who could play center. I only know this as a Swedish friend followed him closely up through his draft year and beyond and frequently noted Holtz played a lot of his minutes at center. In draft year plus 1, we kept tabs on Holtz, as our team selected the straight up wing, Lucas Raymond, and we both thought either player would have been an appropriate selection, but in hindsight, glad it was Raymond.

So all that said, if Holtz CAN play center (like he did before he got drafted, this may change things for some people. Now, looking at the Wild roster, the team on offense is pretty young, considering a couple over 30s dragging up the average. On defense, it is a bit older, and Dumba is going to look for a raise maybe on shorter term.

The Wild do not look like a cup contender in tbe next couple years. Not with all the wasted cap. While trading Kaprusov seems ludicrous, it may not be. The haul that NJ is offering is two high D prospects, which you can never have too many and the worst case scenario if the ALL PAN OUT is you have to trade 1 stud to get a stud back. They rarely all make it, no matter the promise. On top of that, they get Yegor whom i know nothing other than he is on the roster, and Holtz who can play center. And all the youth will arrive in 2-4 years.

NJ gets the best player today. Minny would be timing their window and loading up on prospects. Keep in mind, Kaprizov is UFA in 3 years after this season. In his prime. Minny could lose him for nothing or below market value just as they should be ready to compete.
palhal and KDev liked this.
Dec. 26, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
Kaprizov is arguably a top 3 winger in the game with 3.5 seasons left on his contract. You simply don't trade that without an equal or better value player coming back. Hughes is the only player on NJ I consider to have near Kaprizov's value.

In terms of a package built around prospects, it would take a dramatic overpayment (by my standards, not yours). I'd say what that is, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers.
Dec. 27, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
Kaprizov is arguably a top 3 winger in the game with 3.5 seasons left on his contract. You simply don't trade that without an equal or better value player coming back. Hughes is the only player on NJ I consider to have near Kaprizov's value.

In terms of a package built around prospects, it would take a dramatic overpayment (by my standards, not yours). I'd say what that is, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

The problem with the overpay philosophy is no team will do that. The trade proposed in the OP is already a fair overpayment. As I noted previously, there is zero chance of Kaprizov getting traded this season. Nobody can argue that Kap is elite, top 5 or 10 wing in the league. The problem though is the Minnesota window, cap situation, and the fact he is a wing, which carries the least value. If Minnesota is not going for the cup (which would take a miracle given the fact they have no cap space), the team may be better off selling high than holding on to an asset. Would a Minnesota fan want to hold on to Kap, get bounced by the second round every year for 3-4 years, then see him walk to UFA, or get traded as a rental in his last season of the deal (which the return for elite wings is usually a prospect and a low 1st) ? This trade proposal offers three high prospects, a versatile NHLer, and a presumably low 1st.

This deal is probably more realistic than most people want to admit. I would also think if this is the type of package being offered, there would probably be a couple other teams might that have the assets and desire to get in on the bidding. LA comes to mind, and they have a lot of center prospects. Not sure of anyone else though, maybe Buffalo?
Tbrew liked this.
Dec. 27, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Osiecki death stare
Quoting: tonyhzs
The problem with the overpay philosophy is no team will do that. The trade proposed in the OP is already a fair overpayment. As I noted previously, there is zero chance of Kaprizov getting traded this season. Nobody can argue that Kap is elite, top 5 or 10 wing in the league. The problem though is the Minnesota window, cap situation, and the fact he is a wing, which carries the least value. If Minnesota is not going for the cup (which would take a miracle given the fact they have no cap space), the team may be better off selling high than holding on to an asset. Would a Minnesota fan want to hold on to Kap, get bounced by the second round every year for 3-4 years, then see him walk to UFA, or get traded as a rental in his last season of the deal (which the return for elite wings is usually a prospect and a low 1st) ? This trade proposal offers three high prospects, a versatile NHLer, and a presumably low 1st.

This deal is probably more realistic than most people want to admit. I would also think if this is the type of package being offered, there would probably be a couple other teams might that have the assets and desire to get in on the bidding. LA comes to mind, and they have a lot of center prospects. Not sure of anyone else though, maybe Buffalo?

This deal isn’t close to realistic because it doesn’t address the team’s real problem now or in the future. You know what would solve Minnesota’s problems now and in the future and be justifiable for the GM to trade Kaprizov? Jack Hughes.

I’d rather ride out Kap’s time here than pull the trigger on the proposed trade.
Dec. 27, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
This deal isn’t close to realistic because it doesn’t address the team’s real problem now or in the future. You know what would solve Minnesota’s problems now and in the future and be justifiable for the GM to trade Kaprizov? Jack Hughes.

I’d rather ride out Kap’s time here than pull the trigger on the proposed trade.

Interesting. I don't know that you know what the problem will be in the future (3 years). Of course the team wants and needs a center, but there will be plenty of opportunities to trade or sign any number of higher end centers in 2-3 years.

In no way would Hughes for Kaprizov be fair. That of course is a nice ask, but elite centers are far more important and valued than wings. Holtz played a lot of center, and he had an elite shot pre-draft, but I haven't kept tabs on him recently to know if he has dropped off or not.

The proposal above is essentially 4-5 1ST round picks. I bring this up because that is close to the compensation if someone would have offer sheeted Kaprizov when he was RFA. The fact that nobody did that is an indicator of the perceived value of Kaprizov (and of course the fact that few GMs like to to do it). The fact that the current deal walks Kaprizov to UFA tells you a lot of what you need to know about his intentions.

I do find it odd that Minnesota seems mired in mediocrity. Holding on to Kaprizov helps ensure this team is just good enough not to miss the playoffs, but just bad enough to challenge anyone. The 1C the team lacks has to come from within, on an overpay in free agency, or in a trade involving an elite D (I can't think of any time a team traded an elite wing for a 1C, but I feel like this might have happened with Jagr or some time in the 90s). We have already established Minnesota doesn't have the future 1C in the organization and they won't suck enough to draft high enough to get that 1C and develop him in time to align with Kaprizov's contract. We have also established that Minnesota will be hard up for cap space, so getting that free agent 1C or even rental 1C will be nearly impossible.

That leaves option 3, to trade a top 4 or top pairing D to get a 1C. Acquiring the D prospects in this trade, plus what the organization already has in the pipeline, allows for more chances to get more top end defensemen. Nashville was able to do it 1 for 1 to get Johansen for Jones, and both teams were able to address their needs with no lovers in the deal. Imagine having the extra depth of young elite D that Minnesota could afford to give up not just one elite top pairing D but also a top 4. That 1C coming back could be a true top end 1C and not a Johansen type low end 1C.

The time to pull the trigger on trading Kaprizov would be sometime next season. 2023 UFA is really just ROR and Horvat, but the 2024 draft class has a ton of 1Cs, and some might actually hit the open market. Mathews, Aho, Scheifle, Guentzel, Pettersson (RFA), Lindholm, and Kopitar/Stamkos (who probably don't move).

Hiding on too long gives a depreciated asset. Minny is gonna just keep on keeping on in mediocrity at this rate. But hey, at least you get to watch an exciting wing for the next few years and at least you probably get to make the playoffs most or all of the next 3.5 years.
Tbrew, Tintin and KDev liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll