SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Players Who Should've Won the Conn Smythe over 87

Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:04 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I'm dumbfounded as to how Sidney Crosby wins the Conn Smythe this year. Guentzel scored big goals, but he doesn't get it. Malkin was the leading scorer in the playoffs, he doesn't get it. Each goalie stole a series for them. Hell, Pekka RInne was amazing in every playoff game that wasn't in Pittsburgh.All Crosby did was get a concussion, slam Subban's head into the ice, and benefit from other players generating offense. To make it fair, I will say that Crosby played an amazing game in Game 5 of the Finals. But still, one game doesn't make you deserving of the Conn Smythe. I would've given it to Malkin, but I wouldn't mind seeing Guentzel get it either.

As a die-hard Pens hater, I'm more mad that Crosby won an underserving Conn Smythe AGAIN than the fact that they repeated. I'm curious to see what some of the people on this site that think Crosby is the golden child have to say about this.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:06 a.m.
I woulda picked Friedman-style, a vote for Fleury and Murray, cuz they're the reasons Pitts did so well. Fleury stole the Washington séries single handedly, and then Murray did the rest. Kinda a shame they can't split the vote
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I'm dumbfounded as to how Sidney Crosby wins the Conn Smythe this year. Guentzel scored big goals, but he doesn't get it. Malkin was the leading scorer in the playoffs, he doesn't get it. Each goalie stole a series for them. Hell, Pekka RInne was amazing in every playoff game that wasn't in Pittsburgh.All Crosby did was get a concussion, slam Subban's head into the ice, and benefit from other players generating offense. To make it fair, I will say that Crosby played an amazing game in Game 5 of the Finals. But still, one game doesn't make you deserving of the Conn Smythe. I would've given it to Malkin, but I wouldn't mind seeing Guentzel get it either.

As a die-hard Pens hater, I'm more mad that Crosby won an underserving Conn Smythe AGAIN than the fact that they repeated. I'm curious to see what some of the people on this site that think Crosby is the golden child have to say about this.

Shoudda been Malkin
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:07 a.m.
I would say Murray or Guentzel
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Nobody ... ever since Murray came in for PIT i was saying Sid should win it. He, i think, is the guy who had to be his best for them to win it ... the 2nd best player in the league in my opinion, and to me Malkin, Murray, Fleury, and Guentzel are not better than Crosby ... i think they made the right choice for the conn smythe.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:33 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Nobody ... ever since Murray came in for PIT i was saying Sid should win it. He, i think, is the guy who had to be his best for them to win it ... the 2nd best player in the league in my opinion, and to me Malkin, Murray, Fleury, and Guentzel are not better than Crosby ... i think they made the right choice for the conn smythe.

This is worthy of ... HcrK3.jpg
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:39 a.m.
I would say it was a toss up between Malkin and Guentzel. I don't it would have gone to Fluery or Mirray because they did split the net (rightly or wrongly). I am also baffled on how 87 won it again. I guess it helps when you name is Crosby.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 1:37 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Dude. Did you watch the games, or listen to Pierre?
Jun. 12, 2017 at 1:42 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Malkin.
Sahil2020 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 1:50 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Dude. Did you watch the games, or listen to Pierre?

I watched them, and Crosby does more than just scoring. He's an unbelievable player.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 4:19 a.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
It should've been Malkin, Murray, Guentzal, Crosby, Fluery in that order, so Crosby was far from the most deserving, but what really baffeled me was how Crosby won it last year, Bonino, Kessel, Murray, and almost every single player on the team had a better playoffs than he did and he still won it.

Crosby is the 3 player in NHL history to win back to back Conn Smythe trophies........... Hmmm, wonder if they gave it to him for the sake of him having that title.

Me thinks​............ Hell yeah!
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:02 a.m.
Below Market Value
I would've chosen Malkin, but Crosby was definitely second. Keep in mind, this is a trophy for the entire playoffs. Murray didn't play in the first two and a half series. Fleury didn't play in the SCF or finish out the ECF. Guentzel was invisible in the ECF. Malkin and Crosby were the most consistently great players throughout the entire playoffs for Pittsburgh.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:19 a.m.
How did Sid not deserve it? He finished with 27 points (only one behind Malkin, and played 1 game less, and really 2 given that he left the game that he got concussed in early in the first). He had a higher P/GP than Malkin, he had the higher 5v5 P/GP average. I would have gone with Sid or Malkin but have no problem with Sid winning it.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I would've chosen Malkin, but Crosby was definitely second. Keep in mind, this is a trophy for the entire playoffs. Murray didn't play in the first two and a half series. Fleury didn't play in the SCF or finish out the ECF. Guentzel was invisible in the ECF. Malkin and Crosby were the most consistently great players throughout the entire playoffs for Pittsburgh.

Crosby wasn't consistently great in the playoffs at all. During the Washington series he wasn't that good. He was good but not great against Ottawa. Crosby played an amazing Game 5 in the SCF but he doesn't deserve the Conn Smythe for that. Malkin was the catalyst of their entire team throughout the playoffs. The goals he scored were more important, and he was the driving force for two of their series wins. Without Malkin they get bounced by the Sens. Without Fleury they get swept by the Caps probably. Crosby was never the real X-factor for them where Malkin was.

Quoting: mtdavis311
How did Sid not deserve it? He finished with 27 points (only one behind Malkin, and played 1 game less, and really 2 given that he left the game that he got concussed in early in the first). He had a higher P/GP than Malkin, he had the higher 5v5 P/GP average. I would have gone with Sid or Malkin but have no problem with Sid winning it.

Crosby didn't score an extremely important goal in the entire playoffs. He had 0 GWG in the entire playoffs. He's not clutch, so don't even say that he is. I know that Malkin didn't have one either, but Malkin put the Pens offense on his back against Ottawa. Crosby never put the team on his back. It was either Fleury, Malkin or Murray that did it for them. Not 87
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsMarnerNylander

Crosby wasn't consistently great in the playoffs at all. During the Washington series he wasn't that good. He was good but not great against Ottawa. Crosby played an amazing Game 5 in the SCF but he doesn't deserve the Conn Smythe for that. Malkin was the catalyst of their entire team throughout the playoffs. The goals he scored were more important, and he was the driving force for two of their series wins. Without Malkin they get bounced by the Sens. Without Fleury they get swept by the Caps probably. Crosby was never the real X-factor for them where Malkin was.

Crosby didn't score an extremely important goal in the entire playoffs. He had 0 GWG in the entire playoffs. He's not clutch, so don't even say that he is. I know that Malkin didn't have one either, but Malkin put the Pens offense on his back against Ottawa. Crosby never put the team on his back. It was either Fleury, Malkin or Murray that did it for them. Not 87

That's just simply not true. Here is the breakdown by series:

To look it up by series Crosby went:

7 points (2g+5a) in 5 games vs CBJ
7 points (2g+5a) in 6 games vs. WSH (which really was like 5.25 games considering he left early with concussion)
6 points (3g+3a) in 7 games vs OTT (including primary assist on 2OT GWG in G7)
7 points (1g+6a) in 6 games vs NSH

Malkin, by comparison was:
11p (2g+9a) in 5 games vs CBJ
7p (3g+4a) in 7 games vs WSH
6p (2g+4a) in 7 games vs OTT
4p (3g+1a) in 6 games vs NSH

The only series that Malkin outscored Sid in was against Columbus. Honestly, that was to be expected with Columbus running Dubinsky as a shut down center on Crosby. Sid didn't have a GWG, but how many did he set up? He laid Kunitz 2OT winner in Game 7 against Ottawa on a platter.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.

Also, if you think Crosby never put the team on his back, you didn't watch Game 5 against Nashville. He was everywhere in that game.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 11:51 a.m.
get ur corsi up
You know Crosby finished with only one less point than Malkin.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

yes, i agree it shouldn't be a goalie. First, i would have given it to Fleury until they started Murray.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:56 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

7 points (2g+5a) in 6 games vs. WSH (which really was like 5.25 games considering he left early with concussion)

The only series that Malkin outscored Sid in was against Columbus. Honestly, that was to be expected with Columbus running Dubinsky as a shut down center on Crosby. Sid didn't have a GWG, but how many did he set up? He laid Kunitz 2OT winner in Game 7 against Ottawa on a platter.

He didn't generate any offense against the Caps though! He scored 2 goals in Game 1, but he only touched the puck on those plays when he shot it. And the assists he got weren't assists where he actually had to make a difficult play. The Kunitz goal he literally passed the puck 20 feet, if that. Any professional hockey player should be able to make that play. I'm not giving him praise for making the easy plays. Especially in the Washington series, he made the easy plays and people act like he's a god. Malkin was the dominating force, not Crosby. If you can't see that, I'd bet your one of those Canadians that thinks Crosby is the "golden child"
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He didn't generate any offense against the Caps though! He scored 2 goals in Game 1, but he only touched the puck on those plays when he shot it. And the assists he got weren't assists where he actually had to make a difficult play. The Kunitz goal he literally passed the puck 20 feet, if that. Any professional hockey player should be able to make that play. I'm not giving him praise for making the easy plays. Especially in the Washington series, he made the easy plays and people act like he's a god. Malkin was the dominating force, not Crosby. If you can't see that, I'd bet your one of those Canadians that thinks Crosby is the "golden child"

and he does more than just scoring.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 12:59 p.m.

He had 7 points in essentially 5 games. Coming off a concussion. That's generating offense. Again, they could have gone with either Malkin or Sid and been right, and its possible Sid got the edging vote due to Canadian bias, but he wasn't undeserving of it.

Just as a side note, Geno is actually my favorite player on the team. I personally would have given it to him, but I don't think its as bad as last year (quite frankly, last year should have been Phil hands down).
Jun. 12, 2017 at 2:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He had 7 points in essentially 5 games. Coming off a concussion. That's generating offense. Again, they could have gone with either Malkin or Sid and been right, and its possible Sid got the edging vote due to Canadian bias, but he wasn't undeserving of it.

Just as a side note, Geno is actually my favorite player on the team. I personally would have given it to him, but I don't think its as bad as last year (quite frankly, last year should have been Phil hands down).

Kessel last year? over Crosby and Murray?
Jun. 12, 2017 at 3:16 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Honestly, I'm so sick of your bias hatred for Crosby. You don't like him because he's on a team you don't like. The fact that you think he's not the best in the world. or should not get the Conn Smythe is ludicrous. Crosby played well, and I trust the NHL personal who are pros with this kind of stuff, in giving him the trophy. All your arguments are rooted in sour bias towards him because he keeps beating your Capitals, and your team USA. He's great, and there's nothing you can do about it.
mtdavis311 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 4:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DarylthePony

Honestly, I'm so sick of your bias hatred for Crosby. You don't like him because he's on a team you don't like. The fact that you think he's not the best in the world. or should not get the Conn Smythe is ludicrous. Crosby played well, and I trust the NHL personal who are pros with this kind of stuff, in giving him the trophy. All your arguments are rooted in sour bias towards him because he keeps beating your Capitals, and your team USA. He's great, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Yeah, i don't like the Penguins either but i at least think he's a VERY good player.
Jun. 12, 2017 at 4:11 p.m.

Kessel last year? over Crosby and Murray?

Yeah. Kessel lead the team in scoring last year (22 points to Sid's 19, with 10 goals), was huge in generating important offense with the HBK line, finished +5. Murray was great against the Rags/Caps last year but struggled against Tampa and wasn't really challenged against SJ.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll