Forums/Armchair-GM

DET amp CBJ Play Nice

Created by: BarSouthBeauties
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2023
Published: Feb. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If DET doesn't get into playoffs, the Leafs should consider targeting Sundqvist and Vrana. Sundqvist has a playoff style game and familiarity with O'Reilly. Vrana seemingly needs a fresh start but has goal scoring ability. If DET is willing to retain on Vrana, then with the UFA's washing each other out, I would be willing to give up Robertson for Vrana at that price. Nedeljkovic at 50% could be a nice depth add if Murray is not 100%. Walman is a local Toronto kid and playing well this year on an expiring contract. DET gets a chance to re-sign established NHLers who are UFA's and could help the rebuild. Robertson gets a fresh start in a city familiar to him already.

Peeke should be a target due to his cap hit this season and the extension already in place. Has familiarity with the other Notre Dame alumni in the Leafs system. Big, RHD compliment to Brodie. Kekalainen would know Hirvonen, and Voit goes to a team he may get more opportunity with and is close to his hometown of Pittsburgh. Sandin compliments the remaining D core and can play both sides, is young, and has another year at $1.4M.
Trades
TOR
  1. Peeke, Andrew
  2. 2023 4th round pick (WPG)
CBJ
  1. Hirvonen, Roni
  2. Sandin, Rasmus
  3. Voit, Ty
  4. 2023 5th round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$78,858,746$212,500$0$3,641,254
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$0$0
LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$787,500$787,500
RD
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
Aside from the fact that Detroit is still in the race and they like some of those players like Walman, there's just way to many players in a trade that doesn't even include a star.

Getting Peeke make a lot of sense for the Leafs but not at the cost of Sandin. For goaltending Korpisalo would be a better add.
aedoran and JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:41 p.m.
Future Norris guy
5 more games rather we lose or not, Isn't going to dictate if we make the playoffs or not.

we're not moving those players for a bunch of worthless UFAs and a player in Robertson who can't stay healthy. We sure as hell aren't retaining on Vrana either. You keep your crap and we keep our players for the playoff push.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
Chicago
There is no incentive for Detroit to make that deal. The package sucks and they're in a prime spot to make the playoffs. There's no need for them to move anyone at this point.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
BarSouthBeauties27
Quoting: GMBL
Aside from the fact that Detroit is still in the race and they like some of those players like Walman, there's just way to many players in a trade that doesn't even include a star.

Getting Peeke make a lot of sense for the Leafs but not at the cost of Sandin. For goaltending Korpisalo would be a better add.

I don't think it needs to include a star and it wouldn't shock me if DET signs one of these 3 in the offseason if a trade didn't occur. Yes, Walman could definitely re-sign with DET so that is totally fair.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
BarSouthBeauties27
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
5 more games rather we lose or not, Isn't going to dictate if we make the playoffs or not.

we're not moving those players for a bunch of worthless UFAs and a player in Robertson who can't stay healthy. We sure as hell aren't retaining on Vrana either. You keep your crap and we keep our players for the playoff push.

haha Great response first of all. Robertson can't stay healthy, Vrana can't stay off the sauce (or whatever the rumours are). Both have talent and may need a new home. I think it's all a matter of preference for this trade so I can respect that.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
Quoting: BarSouthBeauties
I don't think it needs to include a star and it wouldn't shock me if DET signs one of these 3 in the offseason if a trade didn't occur. Yes, Walman could definitely re-sign with DET so that is totally fair.

Toronto isn't going to want to make someone subtractions from their roster either for potentially no improvement, maybe they get worse or get better marginally. There's no star in the trade so makes no sense. 7-piece trades are pretty rare, if it's not for a star, it's probably including a bunch of AHL guys and usually in the off-season.

Leafs wanted Barbashev too, but they didn't want to move guys off the roster at the time. I could see Kerfoot and Holl getting moved but not in a single trade.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
BarSouthBeauties27
Quoting: NickC1988
There is no incentive for Detroit to make that deal. The package sucks and they're in a prime spot to make the playoffs. There's no need for them to move anyone at this point.

Add a pick/or another prospect to make it more of an incentive from the Leads but as stated from the get go, DET needs to take a turn and not be in a position before the deadline for this to realistically happen.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
BarSouthBeauties27
Toronto isn't going to want to make someone subtractions from their roster either for potentially no improvement, maybe they get worse or get better marginally. There's no star in the trade so makes no sense. 7-piece trades are pretty rare, if it's not for a star, it's probably including a bunch of AHL guys and usually in the off-season.

Sundqvist has the familiarity with O'Reilly that shouldn't be overlooked and plays a way more physical game then Engvall. I think Vrana would be a sneaky depth goal scoring add as Kerfoot is more of a playmaker. The trade could be paired down no doubt and tweaked.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
Chicago
Add a pick/or another prospect to make it more of an incentive from the Leads but as stated from the get go, DET needs to take a turn and not be in a position before the deadline for this to realistically happen.

It's not just going to be "a pick" though. It's probably a 1st rounder. You're trading 3 cap dumps away to get 3 NHL regulars and a back up G. That's not a small add to a trade.
tonyhzs liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.
BarSouthBeauties27
It's not just going to be "a pick" though. It's probably a 1st rounder. You're trading 3 cap dumps away to get 3 NHL regulars and a back up G. That's not a small add to a trade.

The math is pretty close for dollar in/dollar out. Nedeljkovic is a 3rd stringer now it seems and Kerfoot/Engvall/Holl have more points then Sundqvist/Vrana/Walman. From my stance, its about tweaking the Leafs roster and adding a 1st as the pick would be crazy. Maybe a 3rd or a B to B+ prospect at best in my eyes.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.

The biggest cap dump is Ned in that trade, he won't have much value, he who would cost a late pick. He's putting up Mrazek numbers. Kerfoot is underperforming his contract but other than that the rest of the guys on both sides have some value, so there won't be a 1st going back to Detroit.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Banned
I wouldn't trade Walman for Robertson, let alone all pieces of trash being included with Robertson. Heck, I don't think I'd trade a single one of the Detroit players for any combination of the offered players. Well, Ned for Robertson is fine, probably inconsequential for both teams though.

If you want to dump all that cap for better players, a 1st plus Knies or Niemala is where it needs to go.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Joe
Yzerman wouldn't accept that trade even if it was only Walman himself lol.
Walman-Seider pairing is 8th for xG%, 4th amongst first pairing. #1 xGA pairing.
Splitting that up would be stupid - even if the trade is "fair", which this isn't btw.
Kyriakos_Grizzly liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
Joe
The math is pretty close for dollar in/dollar out. Nedeljkovic is a 3rd stringer now it seems and Kerfoot/Engvall/Holl have more points then Sundqvist/Vrana/Walman. From my stance, its about tweaking the Leafs roster and adding a 1st as the pick would be crazy. Maybe a 3rd or a B to B+ prospect at best in my eyes.

Lol.
A top pairing defenseman, a capable goal scorer, a depth forward, and a ****ty goalie for a mid-prospect who's constantly injured, two depth forwards, and one of the worst defensemen in the league.

Get real man.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
Joe
The biggest cap dump is Ned in that trade, he won't have much value, he who would cost a late pick. He's putting up Mrazek numbers. Kerfoot is underperforming his contract but other than that the rest of the guys on both sides have some value, so there won't be a 1st going back to Detroit.

"Underperforming his contract", so it'd be a capdump?
Red Wings don't need to dump Nedelkovjic, so why would they pay to?
All the pieces coming back Detroit's way are actively worse. Why would they want to try and sign worse players than the ones they traded?
tonyhzs liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
All the pieces coming back Detroit's way are actively worse. Why would they want to try and sign worse players than the ones they traded?

I think you and I are missing the point. Dubas is an expert at fleecing other GMs and winning trades. Going up against an amateur like Yzerman who has absolutely zero track record of making a good trade. Yzerman will totally poo his pants and give in to the Legendary Dubas.

Basically, we misread the situation and forgot how the Leafs can do whatever they want because...reasons...and stuff...and things.
Billy12Bob liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: tonyhzs
I think you and I are missing the point. Dubas is an expert at fleecing other GMs and winning trades. Going up against an amateur like Yzerman who has absolutely zero track record of making a good trade. Yzerman will totally poo his pants and give in to the Legendary Dubas.

Basically, we misread the situation and forgot how the Leafs can do whatever they want because...reasons...and stuff...and things.

You're so right.
I completely forgot this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:35 p.m.

It's basically 1 cap dump for 1 though, except that Kerfoot is more useful than Ned who isn't a 3m goalie. The Leafs don't need to dump Kerfoot either.

If there is any difference between Sunqvist and Engvall it's marginal.

Walman is more valuable to Detroit over Holl just as much as Holl is more valuable than Walman to the Leafs. I doubt Walman would do much better than Holl in his place, but he seems to work well with Seider so it makes no sense for Detroit to move him, and there's no spot for Holl on the right side.

So that basically just leaves Vrana for Robertson. Both guys have diminished value but I'm sure each GM would rather keep their guy, but if there was anyone who would take the exchange between the two it would be Yzerman not Dubas.

So, I'm not saying that Detroit needs to add, I'm saying this is a poor trade for both sides, but it's not like the Detroit guys are super valuable. If Toronto were sellers they would get value out of their guys too. Detroit might sell but they are also within reach of a playoff spot so they could buy too. So, what I was saying is that Toronto isn't adding a 1st to their side.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:30 p.m.
Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:36 p.m.
Quoting: tonyhzs

The point is that Detroit fans (and fans of rebuilding teams/former rebuilders) tend to overvalue their players just as much as Leaf fans bring in massive upgrades with Holl, Engvall, and Kerfoot (this trade here is not one of those).

The trade is pretty much as wash and it's bad for both sides.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:42 p.m.
Joe
Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:54 p.m.
It's basically 1 cap dump for 1 though, except that Kerfoot is more useful than Ned who isn't a 3m goalie. The Leafs don't need to dump Kerfoot either.

Walman is more valuable to Detroit over Holl just as much as Holl is more valuable than Walman to the Leafs. I doubt Walman would do much better than Holl in his place, but he seems to work well with Seider so it makes no sense for Detroit to move him, and there's no spot for Holl on the right side.

So that basically just leaves Vrana for Robertson. Both guys have diminished value but I'm sure each GM would rather keep their guy, but if there was anyone who would take the exchange between the two it would be Yzerman not Dubas.

So, I'm not saying that Detroit needs to add, I'm saying this is a poor trade for both sides, but it's not like the Detroit guys are super valuable. If Toronto were sellers they would get value out of their guys too. Detroit might sell but they are also within reach of a playoff spot so they could buy too. So, what I was saying is that Toronto isn't adding a 1st to their side.

I mean calling this a **** trade for both sides is just overrating Kerfoot, Engvall, and especially Holl.
Kerfoot - Pending UFA, would rather overpay for Walman than resign Kerfoot
Engvall - Sunny is used extensively on PP2/PK2. Provides far more use.
Holl - Blows. Saying that Walman wouldn't do better than Holl just shows you only care about points (which Walman would definitely still do better than, sadly statistics aren't biased in this case)
Robertson - Lower ceiling than Vrana, provides less use when injured than Vrana in AHL.
But even with all of the stalemates of the other three, since they are kinda close, Walman is so much better than what Holl can dream to be.
https://imgur.com/a/4pEzax3
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
I mean calling this a **** trade for both sides is just overrating Kerfoot, Engvall, and especially Holl.
Kerfoot - Pending UFA, would rather overpay for Walman than resign Kerfoot
Engvall - Sunny is used extensively on PP2/PK2. Provides far more use.
Holl - Blows. Saying that Walman wouldn't do better than Holl just shows you only care about points (which Walman would definitely still do better than, sadly statistics aren't biased in this case)
Robertson - Lower ceiling than Vrana, provides less use when injured than Vrana in AHL.

You're only looking at the trade from Detroit's side.

The Leafs management like Kerfoot, he might have lost some favor but he's still serving a role. Doesn't matter if fans want to dump him to make moves. If the Leafs do dump him it's going to be to add someone of significance, not anyone in this trade.

Engvall can PK too, like I said they are basically the same player.

Holl might suck be he's playing a role that doesn't suite him, it's not like Walman is going to come to the Leafs and do better in Holl's role. Just because he works well in Detroit's system and with players. You need to put stats in context at the end of the day, and there is bias in statistics as well. If you have their player cards though please do share.

Idk where you get that Robertson has a lower ceiling than Vrana, but what I do know is that Robertson is on an ELC and Vrana has an NHL contract, his own fair share of injuries and he missed most of the year do to his mental health. Acquiring him is a much bigger wild card than Robertson.

The only place where you might have a point is Walman (pending ufa as well), but that remains to be seen, but again where are the Leafs going to play him?

It really is a bad trade for both sides and there's no two ways about it.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.

Wings are also doing a favor here for the Leafs- retaining money. We could use those retention spots much better.

I agree Kerfoot is more useful than Ned, but what value does Kerfoot bring to Detroit? Nothing. Same with Engvall and Holl, Where in the lineup does they fit? Nowhere. A Trade has to make sense for both sides.

Also: If we are not in a playoffs position, why would we trade UFA’s?
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: Kyriakos_Grizzly
Wings are also doing a favor here for the Leafs- retaining money. We could use those retention spots much better.

I agree Kerfoot is more useful than Ned, but what value does Kerfoot bring to Detroit? Nothing. Same with Engvall and Holl, Where in the lienup does they fit? Nowhere. A Trade has to make sense for both sides.

I've been saying from the start that this trade makes no sense for either side and therefore there's no reason for the Leafs to be adding a 1st here like someone suggested.

The Wings aren't doing any favors by retaining, Ned isn't worth 3m and there are cheaper options on the market in terms of cap. Vrana's value is going to be low, so without retaining, Yzerman is going to have to keep him (which is what he will do I think) or give up an asset to dump him to Chicago (which he won't do for no good reason). He could deal him in a trade to Sj if he decides to make a move for Meier.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 12:12 a.m.
RetireFedorov
Leafs add nylander, knies, minten to wings trade

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll