Forums/Armchair-GM

SJS TDL

Created by: wi11dabeast
Team: 2022-23 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2023
Published: Feb. 24, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is what I (As a Sharks Fan) Hope to happen. And yes, I do think that this Timo Meier trade is fair. With multiple teams in the mix, NJD needs to make an amazing offer, one that Grier cannot resist. This trade does not give up any of the many "Untouchables" that NJD claims that they have either. They get their Star winger for Jack Hughes and SJS gets some decent prospects and a couple of picks (the 3rd Rd Pick if for taking on Andreas Johnsson's contract. SJS should get more out of this (See Nemeth or Zaitsev trade).

And yes, I do think that the Erik Karlsson trade is a bit of an overpay, but, dude is a 100-point defenseman this year who leads in even strength points among all players. This would greatly bolster EDM's even strength points, and I don't want to even imagine going up against a Power Play with EK65, Drais, and McDavid. This trade is also in the conference which usually means that it costs more for the buyer.
Trades
SJS
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. Bouchard, Evan
  3. Broberg, Philip
  4. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  5. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  6. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
  7. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
2024 2nd Upgrades to 2024 1st if Oilers win 1 rd in playoffs (Would be Top 8 Protected)
Taking on the Contracts of Barrie and JP, In my opinion, Warrant some extra picks coming back to San Jose (IE the 24 2nd and 23 3rd)
EDM
  1. Harrington, Scott
  2. Karlsson, Erik ($2,500,000 retained)
SJS
  1. 2023 6th round pick (SEA)
  2. 2024 4th round pick (SEA)
SJS
  1. Dumoulin, Brian
  2. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
2023 1st Rd Pick is Top 8 Protected (Else Top 5 Protected 2024 1st)
SJS
  1. Reilly, Mike
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
BOS
    Future Considerations
    SJS
    1. Vrána, Jakub
    2. 2023 1st round pick (DET)
    3. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
    Additional Details:
    2023 1st is Top 8 Protected (Else Unprotected 2024 1st)
    SJS
    1. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
    2. Holtz, Alexander
    3. Johnsson, Andreas
    4. Sharangovich, Yegor
    5. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
    6. 2024 3rd round pick (NJD)
    Additional Details:
    2024 3rd rd pick upgrades to 2024 2nd if NJD makes the 2nd Round in 2024 and Meier Plays at least 4 playoff games.
    NJD
    1. Meier, Timo ($3,000,000 retained)
    2. 2023 5th round pick (SJS)
    Additional Details:
    Extension in Place
    SJS
    1. 2025 3rd round pick (CGY)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$78,645,834$0$850,000$3,854,166
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
    Banned
    Red Wings decline. If Yzerman is a buyer it'll be minor. He's not trading his 2023 1st. We have too many forwards as is.
    erh1991 and aedoran liked this.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Barrie, Bouchard, Puljujarvi, and a pair of firsts for Coe, Karlsson ($3M retained), and Lorentz is about as much as I'd pay San Jose for EK65's services.

Puljujarvi deal expires in a matter of months and Barrie has remained as one of the most productive defenders in the league. He will absolutely be an asset the Sharks can flip next year, in fact you've subsequently done so in this AGM for a very large and unrealistic package. Asking for Broberg and extra picks is wholly foolish and ill conceived. Edmonton is the only buyer on Karlsson based on the reports we're hearing. The excuse of intra-divisional trades or star power evaporates when demand for a contract as risky as Erik Karlsson's dissuades all other buyers.

Likewise you're asking far too much for Meier and to take Vrana off of the Red Wings' hands.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
    Sharks fan here, I don't think a single one of these trades is accepted, except maybe the Bonino one. You've overvalued every Sharks player by a significant amount.
    Andy_Dick liked this.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
    Quoting: MorHitzSeider
    Red Wings decline. If Yzerman is a buyer it'll be minor. He's not trading his 2023 1st. We have too many forwards as is.

That is fair, I would assume that they wouldn’t. But I believe that Barabanov would be a great fit, plus, DET would be ridding themselves of Vranas Contract for this year and the next at 5,250,000, while barb is younger and at 2,500,000. With the way the wings have been playing lately, it looks as if they could push for a playoff spot. When looking at the trades for Nemeth or Zaitsev, SJS should almost be getting more to take this contract in my opinion.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
    Quoting: Waffelz
    Sharks fan here, I don't think a single one of these trades is accepted, except maybe the Bonino one. You've overvalued every Sharks player by a significant amount.

I would disagree, I think the only overvalued trade here would be the karlsson one, and maybe reimer. The Meier trade is working with their extremely long list of “untouchables” and they draft pick will likely be in the late 20s. This is also taking on Andreas Johnson’s horrible contract, which should get us a 2nd and 3rd based on the previous trades for nemeth and zaitsev.

That being said, I do not think the devils will do this, but I do believe this is worth his value. Also, Tyson Barrie is a 41 point in 50 games defenseman. PIT would be ridding themselves if a 5.1 mil contract for an older player with 12 point in the season. They are upgrading 35+ defenseman points. I think that Barrie is worth a 1st on his own, let alone taking on the contract of Duomolin.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: wi11dabeast
    That is fair, I would assume that they wouldn’t. But I believe that Barabanov would be a great fit, plus, DET would be ridding themselves of Vranas Contract for this year and the next at 5,250,000, while barb is younger and at 2,500,000. With the way the wings have been playing lately, it looks as if they could push for a playoff spot. When looking at the trades for Nemeth or Zaitsev, SJS should almost be getting more to take this contract in my opinion.

I don't mind Barabanov. He's done very well for himself since his "Clash of the Titans" days. But I don't view Vrana as a negative asset. And CFACGM posters don't really either. Because they keep placing him on their teams 1st line LW.

But they always think Steve Yzerman is a complete moron. They think they can get something for nothing. Barabanov is at least a decent player but we have too many forwards as is. Soderblom is in Grand Rapids and Kaspar might make the team next season.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    Barrie, Bouchard, Puljujarvi, and a pair of firsts for Coe, Karlsson ($3M retained), and Lorentz is about as much as I'd pay San Jose for EK65's services.

Puljujarvi deal expires in a matter of months and Barrie has remained as one of the most productive defenders in the league. He will absolutely be an asset the Sharks can flip next year, in fact you've subsequently done so in this AGM for a very large and unrealistic package. Asking for Broberg and extra picks is wholly foolish and ill conceived. Edmonton is the only buyer on Karlsson based on the reports we're hearing. The excuse of intra-divisional trades or star power evaporates when demand for a contract as risky as Erik Karlsson's dissuades all other buyers.

Likewise you're asking far too much for Meier and to take Vrana off of the Red Wings' hands.

I agree with the Karlsson part mostly. After submitting this trade, I realized that I forgot to take away the condition on the 2nd round pick in 2024. Although, I think that if the sharks retain the contract, they should get this 3rd or 2nd out of it. I think that getting Karlsson at 9 mil would be a huge snag in the direction of EDM. Because I did not mean the 2nd first round pick, do you think it would be more worth it? You basically said that he would be worth Barrie, Pulj, Bouchard, a 2 1sts. What if I take out a first, and add Broberg? Flipping a 2024 1st (most likely high to mid 20s) for broberg seems like a decent deal. Although, I am not as familiar with him as other prospects so I don’t really know his full value.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
    I don't mind Barabanov. He's done very well for himself since his "Clash of the Titans" days. But I don't view Vrana as a negative asset. And CFACGM posters don't really either. Because they keep placing him on their teams 1st line LW.

But they always think Steve Yzerman is a complete moron. They think they can get something for nothing. Barabanov is at least a decent player but we have too many forwards as is. Soderblom is in Grand Rapids and Kaspar might make the team next season.

That’s fair, I haven’t watched much of his game, but just seeing the +/-, Small amount of points, decent amount of games, and large contract I thought of him more as a liability. But I guess I could be wrong with this. I just saw barabanov’s (in my opinion) increased points (+25), better +/-, 1/2 the contract size and younger age as a huge upside for Detroit that they can capitalize on, and have him as a small contract next year as well if they decide to push into the playoffs. Also, I think that Yzerman is a Top 5 GM in this league so I wouldn’t purposefully make a bad trade while knowing that haha
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.

Overpay!
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
    Banned
    That’s fair, I haven’t watched much of his game, but just seeing the +/-, Small amount of points, decent amount of games, and large contract I thought of him more as a liability. But I guess I could be wrong with this. I just saw barabanov’s (in my opinion) increased points (+25), better +/-, 1/2 the contract size and younger age as a huge upside for Detroit that they can capitalize on, and have him as a small contract next year as well if they decide to push into the playoffs. Also, I think that Yzerman is a Top 5 GM in this league so I wouldn’t purposefully make a bad trade while knowing that haha

It's not a bad trade player wise but I just can't see Yzerman including this year's 1st. It makes zero sense for Detroit right now.
    wi11dabeast liked this.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
    Banned
    Karlsson value isnt close. Look at the Patrick Kane trade upcoming, it will be underwhelming because Kane only wants to go to New York. EK65 only trade option is Edmonton so even if EK65 waives which is a BIG IF (last i heard there was nothing close to being done) you will be getting pennies on the dollar. Sharks fans need to stop with the analytics and performance stats, this is about the market. There is no market for him which means if he's moved it will simply be a cap dump and not much more. And, you'd be lucky to rid yourself of that contract without more money retained than 2.5M. Even 2-3 yrs of elite EK65 with the amount of cap he takes then the fall off in the following years isnt worth much more than cap space which is a luxury.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
    Quoting: aedoran
    Overpay!

Not if you consider Vrana a next to negative asset. When you compare to taking the contracts of Zaitsev and Nemeth, this is right along the lines of value. For at least on paper, as vrana has like 12 points in 50 games and a 2x5.25mil contract. On the other hand , Barb has a contract of 2x2.5 with 38 points in 50 games.

I think that Wings fans value him higher than he looks on the score sheet, which I totally respect, I just do not necessarily see it in my opinion.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
    RetireFedorov
    Sharks add in hertl @50% retained to wings deal
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    I agree with the Karlsson part mostly. After submitting this trade, I realized that I forgot to take away the condition on the 2nd round pick in 2024. Although, I think that if the sharks retain the contract, they should get this 3rd or 2nd out of it. I think that getting Karlsson at 9 mil would be a huge snag in the direction of EDM. Because I did not mean the 2nd first round pick, do you think it would be more worth it? You basically said that he would be worth Barrie, Pulj, Bouchard, a 2 1sts. What if I take out a first, and add Broberg? Flipping a 2024 1st (most likely high to mid 20s) for broberg seems like a decent deal. Although, I am not as familiar with him as other prospects so I don’t really know his full value.

In general, most NHL-active prospects are substantially more valuable than first round picks as they're playing at a discount. ELCs tend to be about half the cost as a typical "quality depth" contract (think Nuutivara) or offer far more still and talent than a typical depth deal (think MacDonald). Given Edmonton's cap situation, how highly Broberg is valued by the organization, and the ceiling he may or may not have, any deal that sees Broberg moved cannot happen. Holland actually shut talks down on Chychrun once Broberg's name came up.

Karlsson's contract is a unique case and I almost don't care about what other teams are paying for cap space right now: Erik Karlsson as he is today is not a guarantee. His production plummeted last year which presents an inordinate amount of risk on the side acquiring him. San Jose is not retaining on this deal as a favour to Edmonton, but to simply make the contract moveable. At $11.5M nobody can acquire Karlsson, and nobody should given his injury history and the remaining term on the deal. At the rumoured $2.1M retention, the deal starts to become more palatable and thus discussions about moving the contract can occur. However, we need to maintain a sense of realism: how many contending teams can accommodate a >$9M contract come deadline time? Taking back salary at this point, especially if the Sharks refuse to retain past that rumoured $2.1M mark, is necessary and you no longer get to ask for assets in exchange for that returned salary.

Right now your offer is essentially a top prospect and a third round pick over what I and other Oiler fans will find reasonable and I really think that just comes down to misinterpreting what you're getting in exchange for Karlsson. Bouchard is his immediate replacement. If the Oilers had the luxury of time, Bouchard's name would never enter trade conversations. His underlying numbers are in the ballpark of Hamilton-esque to Karlsson-esque. This piece is the crux of the deal, he is not a throw in. Likewise, Barrie is not a cap dump: he's in the upper echelon for point production and possession numbers this season. Realistically, he has been for 4 of the last 5 seasons. You treat him like a cap dump when acquired from Edmonton but sell at a premium to Pittsburgh: the inconsistencies in your math do not add up. Why doesn't Edmonton just pay less for Karlsson, as they no longer need to include Barrie in the deal, and recoup assets from another team?

I think it's reasonable that most contending teams should be able to accrue about $2M in cap space come the deadline. If we take the retention of $2.1M to heart, this would suppose that the Sharks should be able to expect about $7.4M in salary cap to be returned in a Karlsson deal. The combination of Barrie, Bouchard, and Puljujarvi comes in at just over $8.3M. There is no discrepancy here that would suggest that Broberg and another midround pick be included to facilitate a trade. San Jose can walk away with extra 2023 and 2024 first round picks in tow, a graduated prospect in Bouchard who will in time replace Karlsson as San Jose's #1RD, and a quality puck-moving rearguard that can be flipped at a profit next year. All I would ask is a C-prospect (Coe), Lorentz (depth for Edmonton), and maybe the return of San Jose's 6th round selections in both years as I personally do not like the idea of moving high picks out without low ones being returned.

The Sharks set the precedent of moving out a quality offensive RHD with limiting suitors when they hucked Burns to the Hurricanes for essentially nothing and retained a boatload in the process. Karlsson may be a step up, and the deadline is always more expensive than the offseason, but there's a limit to what the Sharks can actually ask in exchange for Karlsson. The alternative is no trade at all, and by the time he can be moved, San Jose is likely not getting anything of value returned.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 4:39 p.m.
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    In general, most NHL-active prospects are substantially more valuable than first round picks as they're playing at a discount. ELCs tend to be about half the cost as a typical "quality depth" contract (think Nuutivara) or offer far more still and talent than a typical depth deal (think MacDonald). Given Edmonton's cap situation, how highly Broberg is valued by the organization, and the ceiling he may or may not have, any deal that sees Broberg moved cannot happen. Holland actually shut talks down on Chychrun once Broberg's name came up.

Karlsson's contract is a unique case and I almost don't care about what other teams are paying for cap space right now: Erik Karlsson as he is today is not a guarantee. His production plummeted last year which presents an inordinate amount of risk on the side acquiring him. San Jose is not retaining on this deal as a favour to Edmonton, but to simply make the contract moveable. At $11.5M nobody can acquire Karlsson, and nobody should given his injury history and the remaining term on the deal. At the rumoured $2.1M retention, the deal starts to become more palatable and thus discussions about moving the contract can occur. However, we need to maintain a sense of realism: how many contending teams can accommodate a >$9M contract come deadline time? Taking back salary at this point, especially if the Sharks refuse to retain past that rumoured $2.1M mark, is necessary and you no longer get to ask for assets in exchange for that returned salary.

Right now your offer is essentially a top prospect and a third round pick over what I and other Oiler fans will find reasonable and I really think that just comes down to misinterpreting what you're getting in exchange for Karlsson. Bouchard is his immediate replacement. If the Oilers had the luxury of time, Bouchard's name would never enter trade conversations. His underlying numbers are in the ballpark of Hamilton-esque to Karlsson-esque. This piece is the crux of the deal, he is not a throw in. Likewise, Barrie is not a cap dump: he's in the upper echelon for point production and possession numbers this season. Realistically, he has been for 4 of the last 5 seasons. You treat him like a cap dump when acquired from Edmonton but sell at a premium to Pittsburgh: the inconsistencies in your math do not add up. Why doesn't Edmonton just pay less for Karlsson, as they no longer need to include Barrie in the deal, and recoup assets from another team?

I think it's reasonable that most contending teams should be able to accrue about $2M in cap space come the deadline. If we take the retention of $2.1M to heart, this would suppose that the Sharks should be able to expect about $7.4M in salary cap to be returned in a Karlsson deal. The combination of Barrie, Bouchard, and Puljujarvi comes in at just over $8.3M. There is no discrepancy here that would suggest that Broberg and another midround pick be included to facilitate a trade. San Jose can walk away with extra 2023 and 2024 first round picks in tow, a graduated prospect in Bouchard who will in time replace Karlsson as San Jose's #1RD, and a quality puck-moving rearguard that can be flipped at a profit next year. All I would ask is a C-prospect (Coe), Lorentz (depth for Edmonton), and maybe the return of San Jose's 6th round selections in both years as I personally do not like the idea of moving high picks out without low ones being returned.

The Sharks set the precedent of moving out a quality offensive RHD with limiting suitors when they hucked Burns to the Hurricanes for essentially nothing and retained a boatload in the process. Karlsson may be a step up, and the deadline is always more expensive than the offseason, but there's a limit to what the Sharks can actually ask in exchange for Karlsson. The alternative is no trade at all, and by the time he can be moved, San Jose is likely not getting anything of value returned.

I totally agree, from what I’ve seen, I would value Broberg higher than a first round pick, especially from the oilers who would most likely have a pick in the mid-high 20s. Taking out Broberg and instead adding a 2024 1st rd pick, do you think that would be a fair deal? The 3rd round pick can also be moved to another team like AZ or CHI with another pick, maybe even if the sharks for some retention.
    Feb. 24, 2023 at 4:55 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    I totally agree, from what I’ve seen, I would value Broberg higher than a first round pick, especially from the oilers who would most likely have a pick in the mid-high 20s. Taking out Broberg and instead adding a 2024 1st rd pick, do you think that would be a fair deal? The 3rd round pick can also be moved to another team like AZ or CHI with another pick, maybe even if the sharks for some retention.

My preference of Coe, Karlsson with 26.09% retention, Lorentz, and the Sharks' next two 6th round picks in exchange for Barrie, Bouchard, Puljujarvi, and Edmonton's next two 1st round picks remains unchanged. I believe that's the maximum retention amount Edmonton can ask for without having to involve a third team to broker. San Jose's preference may be to retain $2.1M but I believe that Grier could be talked into up to $3M.
    Feb. 25, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
    I love the "Taking on the Contracts of Barrie and JP, In my opinion, Warrant some extra picks coming back to San Jose" into Barrie being traded for a first in 2023 LOL.
    So he's a cap dump on the Oilers, but magically once you obtain him he's a hot commodity worth a 2023 1st from a team currently not in playoffs?

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll