Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 2, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Fair trade.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Quoting: JmoneyTalk
The D they get back here is having a better season then kesselring.

Kesselring is RD, and almost ready. Call up to fill in if injury and could've helped push Ceci out the door eventually.

The Oilers have 4 LD in the NHL right now and Niemeläinen has had some games too.

Don't like the Oilers depth at RD now
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
Ouch
Quoting: OilednGreasy
Kesselring is RD, and almost ready. Call up to fill in if injury and could've helped push Ceci out the door eventually.

The Oilers have 4 LD in the NHL right now and Niemeläinen has had some games too.

Don't like the Oilers depth at RD now

All valid points, definitely weakens the RHD depth but also bolsters the left. That definitely doesn’t mean it’s an overpay though, the guy the oilers got back in more NHL ready, they get a very solid depth forward at a 450000 cap hit for a 3rd. In my opinion EDM wins this trade if it’s not considered fair.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Edmonton is able to squeeze under the cap a 6'6" center who can play wing, throw the body, goes to dirty areas, isn't a liability and has scored 13 goals and 23 points with opportunity. They also get a depth AHL dman available for callup.

They only gave up a third and a defenseman down their depth chart, that is unlikely to be an impact player at the NHL level.

Both teams got what they want. I don't understand the grief over the Kesserling when you're at the cap and managed to pick up a very solid depth guy for under league minimum, after half a decade of wasting prime seasons of McDrai. It's the same every year online: "The Oilers need to improve their supporting cast -- wait, no! You can't trade the late first round pick or semi-decent prospect! That'd be an overpayment, and we'd lose the trade!"

Bizarre.
jpsnow13 and oilersguy liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
Nah.
Edited Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
Quoting: darthsummer
Not like Bjugstad was going to be under contract for ARZ six weeks from now anyway. Good for them, and good for him.

Does seem a pittance to retain salary on his contract, but a team like EDM needed every penny. Chychrun would have tied up a retention slot for three years. That’s the one baffling part about the 4% retention on Ekholm—the term of it. The cost is negligible, but that slot could prove valuable.

You ain’t wrong, objectively it’s hard to say AZ made the wrong move.

It’s more just the propounding effect here. Eating $15M+ on LTIR to get to the floor with Weber, Voracek; refusing to retain on Chychrun and probably costing themselves a valuable add in that trade; ruining revenue sharing for the league, thus damaging the salary cap; generally just being an embarrassment.

If they win the lottery, gonna love all the awkward photos of Bedard being like “yeah…can’t wait to be a coyote. Gonna be making hot plays with Buzz Flibbeck and that guy who was a fourth liner in the AHL.”
darthsummer liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
Edmonton is able to squeeze under the cap a 6'6" center who can play wing, throw the body, goes to dirty areas, isn't a liability and has scored 13 goals and 23 points with opportunity. They also get a depth AHL dman available for callup.

They only gave up a third and a defenseman down their depth chart, that is unlikely to be an impact player at the NHL level.

Both teams got what they want. I don't understand the grief over the Kesserling when you're at the cap and managed to pick up a very solid depth guy for under league minimum, after half a decade of wasting prime seasons of McDrai. It's the same every year online: "The Oilers need to improve their supporting cast -- wait, no! You can't trade the late first round pick or semi-decent prospect! That'd be an overpayment, and we'd lose the trade!"

Bizarre.

I have thought about for a while now and yes if trading Kesselring gets the Oilers even a bit closer to the cup then %100 trade him, cup is all that matters. It is just as Oilers fans we aren't use to seeing our team trade 1st rounders and prospects, this June is going to be the first time since 2006 that we haven't had a 1st round pick so this is kinda new for us
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: drambui
who is even left to be traded tomorrow at that point.

Plenty to go!

Vejmelka to Ottawa
JVR to the Minnesota
Domi to Colorado
Klinberg to Seattle
Edmundson to TB
Monahan to Florida
Drouin to Winnipeg

IDK
Mar. 2, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
Plenty to go!

Vejmelka to Ottawa
JVR to the Minnesota
Domi to Colorado
Klinberg to Seattle
Edmundson to TB
Monahan to Florida
Drouin to Winnipeg

IDK

domi is already heading to dallas. i think vejmelka stay put. we would be lucky to find a taker for drouin, i truly qish it for him though. barely any interesting name left!
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:31 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: drambui
who is even left to be traded tomorrow at that point.

Arizona's still looking for LTIRetired players to expand their lineup of talent? Perhaps Muzzin to AZ, Seabrook to AZ?

On a serious note though JVR, potentially Gibson/Boeser IDK?
drambui liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:38 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: dopplsan
You ain’t wrong, objectively it’s hard to say AZ made the wrong move.

It’s more just the propounding effect here. Eating $15M+ on LTIR to get to the floor with Weber, Voracek; refusing to retain on Chychrun and probably costing themselves a valuable add in that trade; ruining revenue sharing for the league, thus damaging the salary cap; generally just being an embarrassment.

If they win the lottery, gonna love all the awkward photos of Bedard being like “yeah…can’t wait to be a coyote. Gonna be making hot plays with Buzz Flibbeck and that guy who was a fourth liner in the AHL.”

You ain’t wrong either.

Definitely biased myself, but best to avoid that awkwardness and have CBJ win the lottery. The alternative of Chicago winning and getting Bedard just as Kane steps out the door doesn’t seem like justice. But somehow I feel the Ewing-to-the-Knicks scenario will magically play out.

(If not, watch a long-established franchise with a history of stars and high picks [PHI, MTL, DET] leap to the top of the board.)
dopplsan liked this.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: Blueman96
Wait you can retain money to make the cap hit BELOW NHL minimum salary?

Interesting. Did not know that.

Yeah, that’s news to me as well. Not certain it is a good use for it though for a team like Arizona.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 12:44 a.m.
Quoting: Rolfadinho
Yeah, that’s news to me as well. Not certain it is a good use for it though for a team like Arizona.

If they didn't have another deal they thought they'd need the retention slot for, why not? Oilers needed them to retain, and they thought the Oilers deal was the best on the table. It's ~150k of real dollars -- 900k contract, season is two thirds paid out already. So they pay half of what's left. They liked the combination of pick and prospect enough to spend the half the small amount of money still due.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:34 a.m.
Big caps fan
Good job by the coyotes to get rid of him
Mar. 3, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Sounds like Kesselring is playing tonight vs Carolina. Scary.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
sensonfire
The rumored asking price on Bjugstad was either a second or a third.

Fair deal, more or less.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit