Forums/Armchair-GM

The Only Unconventional Trade Idea I Would Consider

Created by: OldHabsFan61
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 9, 2023
Published: Mar. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Slafkovsky isn’t going to return us a high pick in this draft, so that out there idea is not worth exploring. Caufield is probably the most valuable commodity we could use in a trade to acquire more firsts. Montreal and Edmonton are saving money with those trades to help them resign more valuable players.

SJ 1st- Zach Benson
MTL 1st- Dalibor Dvorsky
Fla 1st- Axel Sandin Pellikka
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
1$3,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Labanc, Kevin
  2. Lindblom, Oskar
  3. 2023 1st round pick (SJS)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
San Jose is moving out cap and getting a really elite young talent to speed up the rebuild. A market like that won’t want a long rebuild.

We can take these wingers and flip them for more picks. The two 1sts are likely top 10 in both drafts.
SJS
  1. Caufield, Cole [RFA Rights]
  2. Fairbrother, Gianni
Additional Details:
2023 1st would be top 3 protected

2024 1st is top 5 protected.
MTL
  1. Mantha, Anthony
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Washington saves over 2 million in cap for the next season.
MTL
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Hoffman, Mike ($2,250,000 retained)
  2. Wideman, Chris
MTL
  1. Loponen, Kalle [Reserve List]
  2. Murray, Matt
  3. 2024 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$71,953,332$1,170,000$4,195,000$11,546,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$4,725,000$4,725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 9, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Not sure how the 1st could be top 3 protected if no trades can/will go down until post lottery.
TraderJoes liked this.
Mar. 9, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: oliver_wahlstrom
Not sure how the 1st could be top 3 protected if no trades can/will go down until post lottery.

I should have said 2023 is traded assuming it’s not a top 3 pick.
Mar. 9, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Why would you move Caufield to acquire more firsts...? That's so counterintuitive. Just build around him, Suzuki, and Ghule. You have tons of good, young prospects in your system. This is making your team worse.

You've completely handicapped yourself here.
Campabee liked this.
Mar. 9, 2023 at 10:43 p.m.
Habs4Ever
How many Habs fans can I add on my ignore list ?
Jesus
Mar. 9, 2023 at 11:53 p.m.
So San Jose moves their rebuild along quicker by moving two firsts? That makes no sense. Also not giving up a likely top 3 pick in this draft for caufield
TraderJoes liked this.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 7:21 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
Why would you move Caufield to acquire more firsts...? That's so counterintuitive. Just build around him, Suzuki, and Ghule. You have tons of good, young prospects in your system. This is making your team worse.

You've completely handicapped yourself here.

Three players from this draft could very well improve the team in the long term. We are years away from contending and this trade wouldn’t change that.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 7:23 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: glarson17
So San Jose moves their rebuild along quicker by moving two firsts? That makes no sense. Also not giving up a likely top 3 pick in this draft for caufield

Caufield helps you right now. That is the point.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
Edmonton won't be trading their 1RD for Mike Hoffman. Nor will they trade a 3rd for Chris Wideman.
Ausbear17 liked this.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Quoting: OldHabsFan61
Caufield helps you right now. That is the point.

My guy, they aren’t good now. Who gives a sh*t whose on the team. The sharks aren’t moving TWO likely top 5 picks for cole caufield. He isn’t that good or that much of a star. Almost nobody is getting that in a trade. That’s just ridiculous to think that a rebuilder would give up two top 5 picks for an undersized winger they could potentially get a generational talent in both drafts in the top 5.
TraderJoes liked this.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
we miss leo k
-Two lottery picks for Caufield is a biiig stretch. Both deals the Sharks are moving expire after next season, so they're not necessarily drags on the cap - and for what it's worth, it doesn't really save them any cap. Labanc & Lindblom combined have a $7.225M cap hit; the only way Caufield costs less than that is if you bridge him 2-3 years and just kick the $8M can down the line. I don't see the value for the Sharks here; Caufield is a great player but doesn't fix their main problems (defense/goaltending). On Montreal's side, why are you trading Caufield for future picks when that really just pushes the rebuild timeline back a couple years? Caufield is young and excelling at the NHL level, and you have enough young assets to build around him and Suzuki as your core players.

-Washington might think about this - they have minimal D depth next year and moving on from Mantha's contract would be a plus.

-No idea why Edmonton would add a pick here. The cap is basically even with Hoffman+Wideman and Ceci, but Edmonton is shipping out the clearly better player and shouldn't have to add the pick. If you wanted to take it out, they might consider it, but I also think that secondary scoring is less of an issue than defense on that team, so turning Ceci into Wideman just to add Hoffman doesn't necessarily make the Oilers better.

-I'd be shocked if Murray's NTC doesn't have Montreal on it; we know it had Buffalo, so it's not a stretch to assume he wanted to avoid the rebuilding teams with his list. Beyond that, why would Montreal do this? Montembault has the potential to put up the numbers Murray has without the health concerns, Tuch is a better prospect in my eyes than Loponen, and adding a single 4th in next year's draft doesn't make up for the value disparity here. Easy decline for the Habs here in my eyes.
glarson17, Ausbear17 and Ennis liked this.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Three players from this draft could very well improve the team in the long term. We are years away from contending and this trade wouldn’t change that.

The players from this draft are still going to be 1-3 years out from making an impact anyway. Thyey are going to need development, Even Bedard is going to need to bulk up a bit before he's ready to make his mark. Caufield is 22 and capable of scoring 30+ goals. Trading him would set the rebuild you're currently in back a year or two. Would be a brutal move.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: TraderJoes
Edmonton won't be trading their 1RD for Mike Hoffman. Nor will they trade a 3rd for Chris Wideman.

That’s not the trade. The 3rd is to pay for the cap space. Ceci moves out so you can pay Bouchard and possibly add another forward as a UFA.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-Two lottery picks for Caufield is a biiig stretch. Both deals the Sharks are moving expire after next season, so they're not necessarily drags on the cap - and for what it's worth, it doesn't really save them any cap. Labanc & Lindblom combined have a $7.225M cap hit; the only way Caufield costs less than that is if you bridge him 2-3 years and just kick the $8M can down the line. I don't see the value for the Sharks here; Caufield is a great player but doesn't fix their main problems (defense/goaltending). On Montreal's side, why are you trading Caufield for future picks when that really just pushes the rebuild timeline back a couple years? Caufield is young and excelling at the NHL level, and you have enough young assets to build around him and Suzuki as your core players.

-Washington might think about this - they have minimal D depth next year and moving on from Mantha's contract would be a plus.

-No idea why Edmonton would add a pick here. The cap is basically even with Hoffman+Wideman and Ceci, but Edmonton is shipping out the clearly better player and shouldn't have to add the pick. If you wanted to take it out, they might consider it, but I also think that secondary scoring is less of an issue than defense on that team, so turning Ceci into Wideman just to add Hoffman doesn't necessarily make the Oilers better.

-I'd be shocked if Murray's NTC doesn't have Montreal on it; we know it had Buffalo, so it's not a stretch to assume he wanted to avoid the rebuilding teams with his list. Beyond that, why would Montreal do this? Montembault has the potential to put up the numbers Murray has without the health concerns, Tuch is a better prospect in my eyes than Loponen, and adding a single 4th in next year's draft doesn't make up for the value disparity here. Easy decline for the Habs here in my eyes.

I’m willing to trade him for picks that are likely both top 10 picks. The rebuild just started so a slight delay isn’t a real issue. We aren’t on a timetable. The franchise is stable and doesn’t have the issues many other NHL franchises would have with a long rebuild.

Edmonton is saving here. Wideman is an AHL depth piece. Hoffman at 50% for one year is a short term gain but also a long term gain because he’s a UFA the following season and Ceci is not.

Likewise, trading Murray saves the Leafs millions and enables them to have more cash to pay Samsonov. Tuch is living off his name at this point because he’s been a disappointing prospect.
Mar. 13, 2023 at 9:25 a.m.
That’s not the trade. The 3rd is to pay for the cap space. Ceci moves out so you can pay Bouchard and possibly add another forward as a UFA.

They aren't saving money here though, so that's a non-starter.

I mean, why not trade McDavid for Evan's? That will save Edmonton a LOT of money, so they'd have to add several picks, right? That's where you're going with this.
Mar. 13, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
They aren't saving money here though, so that's a non-starter.

I mean, why not trade McDavid for Evan's? That will save Edmonton a LOT of money, so they'd have to add several picks, right? That's where you're going with this.

Yes they are saving a million dollars next year and over 3 million the year after that. And Ceci is nothing special so I have no idea why you’d even begin to mention McDavid.
Mar. 13, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Yes they are saving a million dollars next year and over 3 million the year after that. And Ceci is nothing special so I have no idea why you’d even begin to mention McDavid.

They aren't - Wideman needs to be paid too.

Ceci is their first pairing defenseman. They aren't going to trade him for garbage.
Mar. 13, 2023 at 6:43 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s

Ceci is their first pairing defenseman. They aren't going to trade him for garbage.

Wideman can play in the AHL like he already does. That doesn’t hurt your cap, which was my whole point. And Ceci is your second best RHD, he’s not Bouchard.
Mar. 14, 2023 at 6:24 a.m.
Wideman can play in the AHL like he already does. That doesn’t hurt your cap, which was my whole point. And Ceci is your second best RHD, he’s not Bouchard.

Ceci plays tougher comp than Bouchard by far. For a reason.

And if Wideman is relegated to the AHL, who replaces Ceci in the Oilers lineup?? Nobody is going to play 1RD for free you know. Therefore there's no savings for Edmonton here.

But you're completely missing the point: Ceci is worth several times what Hoffman is. "Cap savings" just isn't a thing when you're actively making the roster worse. That's why I brought up McDavid and Evans - you could argue Cap Savings but their values are so far apart Edmonton isn't going to PAY to take the worse player. It's just not logical.
Mar. 14, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Ceci plays tougher comp than Bouchard by far. For a reason.

And if Wideman is relegated to the AHL, who replaces Ceci in the Oilers lineup?? Nobody is going to play 1RD for free you know. Therefore there's no savings for Edmonton here.

But you're completely missing the point: Ceci is worth several times what Hoffman is. "Cap savings" just isn't a thing when you're actively making the roster worse. That's why I brought up McDavid and Evans - you could argue Cap Savings but their values are so far apart Edmonton isn't going to PAY to take the worse player. It's just not logical.

I didn’t post it but I did an ACGM from your POV. I used the money saved to sign Luke Schenn on a cheaper short term deal. Your top pairing would be Ekholm-Bouchard, with Nurse either playing with Schenn or Kulak. That leaves either Schenn or Kulak with Broberg.

Hoffman would be 3rd line LW with McLeod and Yamamoto. Top six is Hollway, McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Drai, Kane.
Mar. 14, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
I didn’t post it but I did an ACGM from your POV. I used the money saved to sign Luke Schenn on a cheaper short term deal. Your top pairing would be Ekholm-Bouchard, with Nurse either playing with Schenn or Kulak. That leaves either Schenn or Kulak with Broberg.

Hoffman would be 3rd line LW with McLeod and Yamamoto. Top six is Hollway, McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Drai, Kane.

Cool story. Doesn't change the fact that this trade is terrible for Edmonton.
Mar. 14, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Cool story. Doesn't change the fact that this trade is terrible for Edmonton.

Fair enough. There’s a reason I titled this “unconventional”. I doubt any of the teams involved would make these deals.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll