SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

Apr. 25, 2023 at 8:58 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: oneX
I didn't love parts of the game last night and sure, credit to Tampa for some of that but man.
.. this team needs to start ON TIME!!

Continuously defending a Tampa attack is going to cost like it almost did last night. Need to have steady O-zone time to avoid that.

Also... I want to call out the Keefe lovers. It's 4 games into the series and Keefe finally realizes that splitting up Matthews and Marner is a good idea. Like come on dude, wake up and realize that Tampa has trouble when your top forwards are spread across 3 lines.

I'm just so unimpressed with Keefe and feel decisions like these that take forever to get to are part of why this team in a general sense struggles.

I too am on the fence about Keefe. He does seem to have some really bad stubborn tendencies at times. Do the same thing over and over and over again and it'll work this time! As soon as something gets figured out, he takes so long to make adjustments. I was convinced the PP was going to fail to enter the zone for the whole game. They know you are going to attempt a flip pass at the Blueline, just should fake and take it in yourself.
oneX liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Nathaniel
Gotta watch the Jays

Theyre my 3rd team. I know who is who but cant identify them in plain clothes.

Can only hardcore 1 league at a time, and both Leafs and Knights come before Jays
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:07 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Theyre my 3rd team. I know who is who but cant identify them in plain clothes.

Can only hardcore 1 league at a time, and both Leafs and Knights come before Jays

Fair. FWIW, that was Jordan Romano
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: MatthewsFan
This

I agree with icing the best lineup to win. I just think the team right now needs to be ultra focused. Close this out and that's all that should be discussed. Bunting is already a distraction. Sit him for game 5 to keep it all about "one win". You play Bunting and the media is going to talk to everyone about what's going to happen. That's definitely a distraction. Personally I would get out ahead of that. Keefe talk to the media and make it clear, the team is only focused on winning game 5. The lineup we have won 3 straight and now we have last change. We are going to do everything to win and that's all we are going to talk about. Bunting is absolutely an important part of this team and he is going to get back in without question. Right now we want to do everything we did last night, but for the whole game. That's all that matters.

Putting Bunting in will make that a huge part of the intrigue of the game, what's Tampa going to do? And what will his response be? And what of the refs? That is a distraction without a doubt and that's before we even get to the actual game.

While I don't think this team is fragile like they used to be, but I don't want them to let this momentum slip away. Just get it done in game 5. Let's do it, we came back twice and now we have last change and the chance to end it.

Do it and Bunting is back in for game 1 of the next series.

If we lose, then perhaps he can take a lot of heat off the team in Game 6 but sitting him for game 5 I think gives us the lineup that gives us the best chance of winning.

I think about way too many angles all the time. I am aware of this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
I too am on the fence about Keefe. He does seem to have some really bad stubborn tendencies at times. Do the same thing over and over and over again and it'll work this time! As soon as something gets figured out, he takes so long to make adjustments. I was convinced the PP was going to fail to enter the zone for the whole game. They know you are going to attempt a flip pass at the Blueline, just should fake and take it in yourself.

Honestly, I'm just sick of the decision making that holds this team back. Players are always going to have their favourites to play with but as a head coach it's his job to sell the team (and individuals) on the idea of team success and what works long term.

Come off season, I kind of want him gone.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
Rip
Honestly, I'm just sick of the decision making that holds this team back. Players are always going to have their favourites to play with but as a head coach it's his job to sell the team (and individuals) on the idea of team success and what works long term.

It won't happen, unless they lose this series. He's a good coach but just seems too slow to change direction when it's not working. Although they have consistently won this season. So he's been pushing the right buttons at the right time. I hope he proves me wrong.

Who would be a good replacement though?
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Fair. FWIW, that was Jordan Romano

That was my guess but he looks like every Hobo in Toronto so its hard to tell
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:56 p.m.

If he goes so does Dubas u want that?

As Dubas and Keefe are glued at the hip

Why would MLSE get rid of the coach that (if it happens) won them a series for the first time since 2004

That would be a very stupid move wouldnt it.

Oh thanks for winning us a series for the first time in almost 20 years bye. No organization would do that unless the coach committed a crime
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:25 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
If he goes so does Dubas u want that?

As Dubas and Keefe are glued at the hip

Why would MLSE get rid of the coach that (if it happens) won them a series for the first time since 2004

That would be a very stupid move wouldnt it.

Oh thanks for winning us a series for the first time in almost 20 years bye. No organization would do that unless the coach committed a crime

lets just get that series win first pal ...
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:45 a.m.
Quoting: leafs101
lets just get that series win first pal ...

Thats why I said (If it happens) lul

As there still a lot of hockey and who knows what will happen
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Some great insight here if you have time
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Matthews Nylander and Tavares Marner is all I care about 👌

Think Bunting gets on that 3rd line
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Billy is a legend. This is the man that will lead us past Tampa
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.

Man I'm so on the fence about Bunting, if he keeps putting Tampa on the PP could be a recipe for disaster. As you said, as long as Matthews and Marner are split, I'm happy.

Also Knies - wow what a stud he'll be. 6 games into his career and he's earned the trust to be a top 6 forward in the playoffs for a critical game in the most critical playoffs of the Matthews/Marner era. We might have to start calling it the core 5 once the points start to fall.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Only thing im concerned about Gio-Holl

Gio redeemed himself end of game 4 setting up goals 3 and 5 but wasnt good through the beginning. Holl yes set up goal 1 but whats he like 11 GA for 2 GF I dont like those odds.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: leafs101
Man I'm so on the fence about Bunting, if he keeps putting Tampa on the PP could be a recipe for disaster. As you said, as long as Matthews and Marner are split, I'm happy.

Also Knies - wow what a stud he'll be. 6 games into his career and he's earned the trust to be a top 6 forward in the playoffs for a critical game in the most critical playoffs of the Matthews/Marner era. We might have to start calling it the core 5 once the points start to fall.

Only thing im concerned about Gio-Holl

Gio redeemed himself end of game 4 setting up goals 3 and 5 but wasnt good through the beginning. Holl yes set up goal 1 but whats he like 11 GA for 2 GF I dont like those odds.

Both of these are true. I’m more concerned about the Giordano Holl pairing than I am of Bunting’s play.

I am choosing to believe Keefe is playing some mind games and Bunting will be in for Game 5. Ice your best lineup
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Forget the on-ice stuff, this series is quickly becoming a battle of which Russian goalie gives the better quote
Random2152 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Both of these are true. I’m more concerned about the Giordano Holl pairing than I am of Bunting’s play.

I am choosing to believe Keefe is playing some mind games and Bunting will be in for Game 5. Ice your best lineup

I feel Bunting will be in game 6 (IF IT HAPPENS)

Keefe will go with what has worked games 2-4. Gio had his moment game 4 so im kind of alright with him. But man Holl has struggled this series as 11 to 2 is not good at all
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I feel Bunting will be in game 6 (IF IT HAPPENS)

Keefe will go with what has worked games 2-4. Gio had his moment game 4 so im kind of alright with him. But man Holl has struggled this series as 11 to 2 is not good at all

That's what I don't get with the "only play him if they lose crowd". You all believe the team is better with him in the lineup, then why not do that in Game 5? Why go back to Amalie Arena where TBL looks amazing (had the second best home record in the NHL this season) and just destroyed us in 5 out of 6 periods of hockey. Make that make sense to me.

ICE YOUR BEST LINEUP and stick a fork in TBL now! We lose Game 5 (regardless of Bunting in the lineup) this is going 7.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That's what I don't get with the "only play him if they lose crowd". You all believe the team is better with him in the lineup, then why not do that in Game 5? Why go back to Amalie Arena where TBL looks amazing (had the second best home record in the NHL this season) and just destroyed us in 5 out of 6 periods of hockey. Make that make sense to me.

ICE YOUR BEST LINEUP and stick a fork in TBL now! We lose Game 5 (regardless of Bunting in the lineup) this is going 7.

The one thing im concerned about putting him in game 5

Tampa will want his head and could just berate him with crosschecks and late hits till he snaps again. Unless of course someone challenges him to a fight early then maybe that would solve it quickly. But idk if he will do it.

Meanwhile refs will just watch on without a care in the world and then hes gonna take some stupid high sticking penalty because he lost his temper. As were now at the stage in round 1 playoffs where we should only see 3 calls (Delay of Game, High Stick, To many men) along with yes excessive force into boards or fighting.

Now if u place him on the 4th line with little time it helps solve that issue a bit but hes not a 4th line guy. So okay Lines 1-3 idk all have looked good so far. So its tough
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The one thing im concerned about putting him in game 5

Tampa will want his head and could just berate him with crosschecks and late hits till he snaps again. Unless of course someone challenges him to a fight early then maybe that would solve it quickly. But idk if he will do it.

Meanwhile refs will just watch on without a care in the world and then hes gonna take some stupid high sticking penalty because he lost his temper. As were now at the stage in round 1 playoffs where we should only see 3 calls (Delay of Game, High Stick, To many men) along with yes excessive force into boards or fighting.

Now if u place him on the 4th line with little time it helps solve that issue a bit but hes not a 4th line guy. So okay Lines 1-3 idk all have looked good so far. So its tough

He was 2nd in the NHL is drawn penalties this year, who is to say he doesn't goat TBL players into a penalty and puts our 4th ranked PP in the playoffs to work.

The pros to putting him out weigh the cons.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Go leafs go

Yah Bunting on the 3rd line makes the most sense probably. Seeing Knies in the top 6 is very knice (lol).
MatthewsFan liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah Bunting on the 3rd line makes the most sense probably. Seeing Knies in the top 6 is very knice (lol).

This would fukcin rock:
Jarnkrok Matthews Nylander
Knies Tavares Marner
Bunting O'Reilly Kerfoot
ZAR Kampf Acciari
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
Amirov Forever

So infuriating. Why play the same group that got slaughtered for the last 3 games? If they lose and the solution is to play him game 6, why not just play him in game 5????
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 1:45 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

So infuriating. Why play the same group that got slaughtered for the last 3 games? If they lose and the solution is to play him game 6, why not just play him in game 5????

I’m really hoping this is just mind games

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll