SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How many franchise players are there?

Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:37 a.m.
How many franchise players would you say there are in the NHL at the moment (younger than 35)

What I think (this is not an order of best to worst, that is not the point of this)

Definitely Franchise players:
Crosby
Mcdavid
Karlsson
Kane
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Malkin
Price
Tarasenko

Debatable:
Kucherov
Bergeron
Tavares
Seguin
Benn
Pavelski
Hedman
Doughty
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kopitar

Future?
Matthews
Eichel
Murray
Mackinnon
Scheifele
Ehlers
Laine
Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:44 a.m.
You forgot Toews
Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:47 a.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
You forgot Toews

Didn't forget him, he is one of the better defensive forwards but two straight 58 point seasons doesn't cut it to be considered franchise
Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:54 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Sahil2020
Quoting: boltscharge17
You forgot Toews

Didn't forget him, he is one of the better defensive forwards but two straight 58 point seasons doesn't cut it to be considered franchise

A franchise player is not just a good player that puts up points, but one that you build your team around and represents the "face" of your franchise.
Toews most certainly qualifies.

Kane, Malkin, and Tarasenko arguably do not qualify. They are elite productive players, but they are not the faces of their franchises.

Tavares, Seguin, and Ovechkin can be considered franchise players.

The future ones are potentially franchise players, but so far they've only fit into their teams.
They aren't the "face" yet and the team hasn't been built around them in any manner.
Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: ricochetii

A franchise player is not just a good player that puts up points, but one that you build your team around and represents the "face" of your franchise.

Kane, Malkin, and Tarasenko arguably do not qualify. They are elite productive players, but they are not the faces of their franchises.

The future ones are potentially franchise players, but so far they've only fit into their teams.
They aren't the "face" yet and the team hasn't been built around them in any manner.

I'd say Benn is the franchise player of Dallas. Seguin was acquired to specifically play with him, so that fits the "building around him" criteria. Plus Benn is marketed more than Seguin and is the captain.
Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:03 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

I'd say Benn is the franchise player of Dallas. Seguin was acquired to specifically play with him, so that fits the "building around him" criteria. Plus Benn is marketed more than Seguin and is the captain.

Wasn't aware Benn was marketed more. Valid points. So scratch Seguin. smile
Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:18 p.m.
IMO Gaudreau and Horvat fall into the category of future faces of their teams
Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.
To me a franchise player is someone who instantly changes the success of a team and without them the team suffers. IMO there are only 3 players that fit that category:

Crosby
McDavid
Price

I think you could make an argument for Karlsson as well, but the three I mentioned above are guys I have no question in my mind.
Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
elekesb
Ekman-Larsson is also a franchise player for me... New captain of the coyotes.
Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:11 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Getzlaf
Bergeron
Eichel
Kane
Toews
Seguin
Benn
Mcdavid
kopitar
Price
Tavares
Karlsson
Subban
Crosby
Malkin
Giroux** Maybe
Burns
Tarasenko
Hedman
Stamkos
Doughty
Matthews
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Holbty

These players you can building a winning team around
Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
I think it depends on the team and the player and how they market. Its not just about building your team around them. Its building your entire BRAND around them. Shea Weber was the franchise player in Nashville but not in Montreal. Nikita Kucherov is a fantastic hockey player but doesn't really do the media side of things so probably isn't so much the "face of the franchise" type like Stamkos.

The Blackhawks are pretty much sold as the Kane and Toews show.

Ovi was built to sell hockey jerseys. The capitals are not where they are as a business without him.

McDavid
Crosby

There are more of course. Some teams have two. Some teams are trying to build them but don't have them yet (Vancouver)
Jun. 20, 2017 at 6:09 p.m.

Quoting: elekesb

I should have worded it differently, I meant how many franchise-caliber players are there in the NHL. Like for example Malkin is not the penguins face of the franchise but had he have been in another team, he would be their franchise player for almost any other team
Jun. 20, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
To me a franchise player is someone who instantly changes the success of a team and without them the team suffers. IMO there are only 3 players that fit that category:

Crosby
McDavid
Price

I think you could make an argument for Karlsson as well, but the three I mentioned above are guys I have no question in my mind.

malkin dont disrespect
Jun. 20, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.

I should have worded it differently, I meant how many franchise-caliber players are there in the NHL. Like for example Malkin is not the penguins face of the franchise but had he have been in another team, he would be their franchise player for almost any other team

not almost is (carried crosby for his entire career)
Jun. 20, 2017 at 8:25 p.m.
Quoting: shabbaranks

Crosby
McDavid
Price

malkin dont disrespect

No disrespect at all, but I feel like if Malkin went down that the Pens still are a tough team. Take Crosby out and its a different story.
Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:39 p.m.

malkin dont disrespect

No disrespect at all, but I feel like if Malkin went down that the Pens still are a tough team. Take Crosby out and its a different story.

i have personal always thought and always will that its the other way around
Jun. 21, 2017 at 6:07 a.m.

i have personal always thought and always will that its the other way around

to each their own
Jun. 21, 2017 at 12:18 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
For me JT is a for sure.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll