SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Matthews signed for 78 years Bedard wants to go elsewhere

Created by: Rene
Published: May 14, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
Salary Cap: $82,500,000
Season Days: 30/185 (16%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because the cap hit of one of the teams is below the lower limit

Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksCHI)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Matthews, AustonToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$1,887,608011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$40,844,87713357051012
Change-$1,887,608111-100
Final$38,957,269 (↓)14 (↑)36 (↑)71 (↑)4 (↓)1012000

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Matthews, AustonToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$1,887,608011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksCHI)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$6,456,0501532682314
Change$1,887,608-1-1-1100
Final$8,343,658 (↑)14 (↓)31 (↓)67 (↓)3 (↑)314000
May 14, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
Rick Honeyhill
Matthews with 7/8 year deal.
Bedard becomes Lindros vol.2
May 14, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Wrong pick for Bedard
Rene, canucksfan43 and MoxNix liked this.
May 14, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
mokumboi
Heh. And you think that elsewhere is Toronto?
May 14, 2023 at 4:27 p.m.
Chicago accepts and uses this year's 1st to take Bedard.
Hitagi_Senpai and Caufeel liked this.
May 14, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Heh. And you think that elsewhere is Toronto?

Well to.be fair we have no reason not to.
May 14, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Rhea
Well to.be fair we have no reason not to.

Mmm maybe (though him being from clear across the country seems like a clue). But not having a reason not to ain't quite the same as having a reason to think that he specifically wants to go there.
May 14, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Matthews seems to want to be the highest paid player in the league, and Matthews at 15M$ a year is probably a negative asset for a team. I don't think they'd get a late 1st round for Matthews at 8*15M$
May 14, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
Quoting: Caufeel
Matthews seems to want to be the highest paid player in the league, and Matthews at 15M$ a year is probably a negative asset for a team. I don't think they'd get a late 1st round for Matthews at 8*15M$

Lol come on man seriously.
May 14, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Matthews doesn't fit with Chicago's timeline. They don't have the pieces to expedite the timeline either. He won't sign with a bottom feeder. Ironically, it makes more sense for Matthews to sign there next year if they have Bedard and another top prospect from 2024. Because that way they are a few trades and signings away from turning the corner.

If Bedard refuses to sign, they will still draft him. They have two years to wait him out and get the best return possible.
May 14, 2023 at 9:35 p.m.
Lol come on man seriously.

Seriously why would any team want to give valuable asset to acquire Matthews, a great regular season player but a complete useless player in the playoffs, at 14/15M for 8 years?
May 14, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
Bedard23
78 years for Matthews?

Hold up
May 14, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Seriously why would any team want to give valuable asset to acquire Matthews, a great regular season player but a complete useless player in the playoffs, at 14/15M for 8 years?

Not completely useless no and with a coach who had a clue it would be different too in my opinion. I always wanted to see him with a power forward as opposed to a smaller guy who always slows down the play. I guess we'll disagree, but there is no way he goes for less than multiple firsts.
MoxNix liked this.
May 14, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
Lets go Canucklehea
If Bedard was going to pull a Lindros he wouldn’t want to go the Leafs if he’s a die hard Canucks fan
May 14, 2023 at 11:15 p.m.
Not completely useless no and with a coach who had a clue it would be different too in my opinion. I always wanted to see him with a power forward as opposed to a smaller guy who always slows down the play. I guess we'll disagree, but there is no way he goes for less than multiple firsts.

"With a coach who had a clue" "small guys who always slows".

He played for a coach who won the Olympics, the Stanley cup, and reached two other finals. He played with very, very talented linemates, yet he never delivered in the playoffs, looked completely invisible in all "must-win" game he played in, he's soft and doesn't seem to be a leader.

Sounds like you're just looking for excuses for his poor performance.

Matthews at 14/15M$ for long term? Pretty sure the return would be very underwhelming. Sure there's probably a team who'd pay more than a late first, after all h'e gonna sell jerseys and he's a high profile player, but there's no universe in which Leafs get a Connor Bedard type of return.
May 14, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
Quoting: MoxNix
Chicago accepts and uses this year's 1st to take Bedard.

tears of joy I saw that. You beat me to it xD
Caufeel and MoxNix liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 6:35 a.m.

He played for a coach who won the Olympics, the Stanley cup, and reached two other finals. He played with very, very talented linemates, yet he never delivered in the playoffs, looked completely invisible in all "must-win" game he played in, he's soft and doesn't seem to be a leader.

Matthews at 14/15M$ for long term? Pretty sure the return would be very underwhelming. Sure there's probably a team who'd pay more than a late first, after all h'e gonna sell jerseys and he's a high profile player, but there's no universe in which Leafs get a Connor Bedard type of return.

Sigh I am making no excuses man, nor do I ever. All I am saying is that if he is set up for success with linemates may are tougher and not afraid to be hit all the time, it might be different.

I don't think he will get 15 mill anyways and there would he players coming back to balance the cap. If you think the Leafs get less of a return (for at least a whole year of him) than teams get in deadline deals for much lesser players (for a few weeks) then I am not sure what to say. That is ridiculous. It happens every single year.

I guess we will just wait and see, but this is laughable.
May 15, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
Sigh I am making no excuses man, nor do I ever. All I am saying is that if he is set up for success with linemates may are tougher and not afraid to be hit all the time, it might be different.

I don't think he will get 15 mill anyways and there would he players coming back to balance the cap. If you think the Leafs get less of a return (for at least a whole year of him) than teams get in deadline deals for much lesser players (for a few weeks) then I am not sure what to say. That is ridiculous. It happens every single year.

I guess we will just wait and see, but this is laughable.

He'll get less of a return if he's signed to the highest paying contract in the league. Cap hit has an impact on a player's value on the trade market. It isn't new. And if he becomes the highest paid player in the league, his value would drop dramatically I think as he never performed like a top player in the playoffs.
May 15, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
He'll get less of a return if he's signed to the highest paying contract in the league. Cap hit has an impact on a player's value on the trade market. It isn't new. And if he becomes the highest paid player in the league, his value would drop dramatically I think as he never performed like a top player in the playoffs.

Well he won't first of all, but to say he might not even get a late first is...well kind of nuts. I do get your point though, but strange stuff happens and this would be no different.

As a Leafs fan if he is not 100% committed, I would want the bald prick gone. I don't get attached to players.
May 15, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
Edited May 15, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
Well he won't first of all, but to say he might not even get a late first is...well kind of nuts. I do get your point though, but strange stuff happens and this would be no different.

As a Leafs fan if he is not 100% committed, I would want the bald prick gone. I don't get attached to players.

Well there was a rumor that his asking price is $15M, now that might not be true, or that might not be the contract he gets... All I wanted to say is that IF that's his cap hit (or around that amount), his value will be lowered significantly. There's no way he fetch a return like the pick for Bedard. I think a lot of teams would pass on giving up valuable asset for a guy like him at this price tag.

If he's signed at a more reasonnable amount than yes, the return would be much better, but again, it's not going to be Bedard.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll